The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 - July 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah but publicity, publicity, publicity. When you're a celebrity self promotion is the name of the game.

Yesterday on FB an ad popped up with Harry promoting some kind of army fatigues. I am guessing he is now doing paid advertisements?

No, Harry didn’t get paid. And he quite obviously enjoyed himself giving out the award. The audience liked it, the recipient was overwhelmed, and it was a nice evening.

Harry has been to see his father, attended a sports show he obviously enjoyed and also the Mirror group have settled. They will pay all of Harry’s legal costs in the case, and also give him 300,000 pounds compensation. And he’s now back home with his family. So, all in all, a good week!

The Times reported that Harry will return to the UK in May for an event honoring the 10th anniversary of the Invictus Games.

They also confirm that UK has placed a bid to host the 2027 games in Birmingham which honestly surprises me. I knew there were discussions a couple of years ago but given recent events with Harry, I didn't think the UK would be amongst any bids for the foreseeable future. I'd be pleasantly surprised if there was support for it, as I have a soft spot for Team UK. I'm personally rooting for the USA (selfishly because I've heard DC would be the host city and I'm only a train ride away) or South Korea (although it seems they may not be bidding until 2029). Regardless of where it ends up, I'll be watching - I work closely with veterans and it's truly one of my favorite events.

The Times reported that Harry will return to the UK in May for an event honoring the 10th anniversary of the Invictus Games.

They also confirm that UK has placed a bid to host the 2027 games in Birmingham which honestly surprises me. I knew there were discussions a couple of years ago but given recent events with Harry, I didn't think the UK would be amongst any bids for the foreseeable future. I'd be pleasantly surprised if there was support for it, as I have a soft spot for Team UK. I'm personally rooting for the USA (selfishly because I've heard DC would be the host city and I'm only a train ride away) or South Korea (although it seems they may not be bidding until 2029). Regardless of where it ends up, I'll be watching - I work closely with veterans and it's truly one of my favorite events.

Harry isn’t Invictus. It’s a great games. Why would t they want to hold it.

Loving the ex-British royalty/US culture mash up.

Now looking forward to Harry’s rendition of “I’m a Yankee doodle dandy” at the opening of the Tennessee State Fair. :D

Honestly, I find it embarassing that Harry is a celebrity in the United States (a non-Commonwealth republic) just because he is a British prince.

It reminds me of Season 2 of The Gilded Age where the entire NY high society was drooling over the fictitious Duke of Buckingham, who was not even a royal, but merely an aristocrat. But that story is supposed to take place in the 1880s. I supposed things might have changed in 140 years!

Last edited:
[In reference to Invictus...] I would be surprised if the UK bid was successful. I agree that smaller events like the one in May would suffice if they feel the need to return to the UK. I think the competitors and organizers deserve better than the inevitable toxic media circus that would follow the Games back there.

Looking forward to the one-year launch next week! I might be reaching on this but I'm kind of hoping Harry's recent public appearances - the award ceremony, the NFL event the other day - have been him trying to network perhaps in service of IG. It would be great to see the IG have more high-profile supporters (again I know I'm probably reaching on this).

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I find it embarassing that Harry is a celebrity in the United States (a non-Commonwealth republic) just because he is a British prince.

It reminds me of Season 2 of The Gilded Age where the entire NY high society was drooling over the fictitious Duke of Buckingham, who was not even a royal, but merely an aristocrat. But that story is supposed to take place in the 1880s. I supposed things might have changed in 140 years!

I don't find it embarrassing as British royals have always been celebrities here in the USA. Even in the original Bertie's time in the mid to late 1800's. Harry will be a celebrity for the rest of his life, especially to Americans of a certain age who watched Diana's funeral. And as the son of a King and brother of a future King, it's assured. Whether one likes it or not, that's the way it is.

Last edited:
I don't find it embarrassing as British royals have always been celebrities here in the USA. Even in the original Bertie's time in the mid to late 1800's. Harry will be a celebrity for the rest of his life, especially to Americans of a certain age who watched Diana's funeral. And as the son of a King and brother of a future King, it's assured. Whether one likes it or not, that's the way it is.

I hope going forward Harry is his own man in the States, not because he is the son of the king and brother of the heir. He appears to be happy there, enjoys the lifestyle. Let him be what he wants to be without the tags of the Royals because he doesn’t really appear to want to be part of that.

Ever since the UK and USA developed a friendly relationship, the British royals have been viewed as celebrities. Also, the Duke of Sussex has no duties to the state or crown either. He is a royal because of his birth and a celebrity by the nature of his birth as well as his own actions.

There definitely seems to be a conscious rebranding with the Sussex's that I welcome. The settling of his court cases is a smart move. The faster they can walk away from their whinging and scorched earth tactics the better for everyone.

Several posts have been removed because they again rehashed old news rather than focusing on the thread topic: Current Events of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Please stick to the topic of the thread.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...ussex-website/

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle launch Sussex.com website in major rebrand - Exclusive
The couple have launched Sussex.com as a "one-stop shop" for their activities

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have launched a new website, Sussex.com on the eve of their trip to Canada.

Prince Harry and Meghan unveiled the new site, which is operated by the Office of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as a "one-stop shop" for all their activities.​

Last edited:
It is a well-organized website, and it seems like a good idea to provide separate websites for their foundation (archewell.org) and production company (archewellproductions.com).

On a side note, why is the site headed by the Duchess of Sussex's personal coat of arms instead of the Duke's coat of arms or their conjugal coat of arms? It doesn't seem to be an attempt to prioritize the Duchess, since the Duke's name is still (correctly) listed first.

It is a well-organized website, and it seems like a good idea to provide separate websites for their foundation (archewell.org) and production company (archewellproductions.com).

On a side note, why is the site headed by the Duchess of Sussex's personal coat of arms instead of the Duke's coat of arms or their conjugal coat of arms? It doesn't seem to be an attempt to prioritize the Duchess, since the Duke's name is still (correctly) listed first.

It’s possible their graphic designer didn’t realize there was a difference and it may be updated. That knowledge is fairly esoteric to someone who doesn’t follow all of this very closely.

I just did a quick glance at the site:

I think they put as many reminders as they could that they're royal without using HRH. No surprise there; their ties to royalty have always been very important to them: We've got a monogram, coat of arms, web address (just not "royal" this time), repeated mention that they are the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, lest anyone forget. I know it's their names, but really. There's even a link back to the old Sussexroyal.

Their mission statement on Archewell Productions was rather pretentious imo. They've barely produced a thing in 4 years, much less anything "thought provoking."

Actually- the whole site seems a bit pretentious to me, from the little I've seen of it.

Last edited:
I thought Archewell was their 'one-stop shop'; so, I am not sure why they need a separate office and website for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. I guess they hope to somehow relaunch themselves.

If I read "website", I always think "Russian" or "North Korean hackers". The website of the Sussexes might not be very important, but can still be hijacked and encrypted to press out some money...

Good luck to Prince Harry!

I am surprised that they have sussex.com. I appreciate the counties now are East Sussex and West Sussex, but I would have thought the UK government would control sussex.com

Harry and Meghan's spending 'worries' royals: 'What happens when the money runs out?'

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...markle-spending-royal-family-money-california

Royal expert Matt Wilkinson – who is also Royal Editor at The Sun – points to the couple's $14million home and other expenditures that have allegedly caused concern for the Royal Family.

He told True Royalty TV's The Royal Beat: "They've got huge outgoings, security, mortgage, everything. When I've spoken to people out there, they've said they are obsessed with security, [and] they don't want to live in a smaller house, they absolutely love the house.

Katie Nicholl, the royal editor of Vanity Fair, added that Harry and Meghan's annual spending could be as much as $20million a year.

She said: "I was speaking to someone in Montecito who said you can't live in Montecito the way they're living without it costing about $20million a year."

I don’t feel that journalists or self proclaimed ‘royal experts’ need to worry about the Sussexes expenses at all. It’s not their money or their business.

There are plenty of important things going on in the world that they could be writing about instead of inflating Harry and Meghan’s expenses in tabloids and magazines and constantly attacking this couple and their way of life in article after article for years at a time.

Last edited:
It’s possible their graphic designer didn’t realize there was a difference and it may be updated. That knowledge is fairly esoteric to someone who doesn’t follow all of this very closely.

I am guessing that the couple did review the final look of the website together and must not have noticed the error.
I'm surprised that their conjugal arms were not used.

I'm wondering if Sussex.com will be allowed to continue to operate ?

Wonder why they pivoted from Archewell anyway ? And if you go to Archewell, it redirects you to "Sussex.com", complete with a Royal Coat of Arms.
"Shaping the future through business and philanthropy". And even mentions Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in its rollout.

Isn't that a VERY fine line ? Trading on their Titles, which Queen Elizabeth feared ? And made them discontinue.

Very interesting development and re-brand.

It has also been noted that the coat of arms should have been updated to show Harry is the Monarch’s son, not grandson.
Yes, very esoteric!

https://people.com/prince-harry-mak...rning-from-uk-to-see-dad-king-charles-8575025

Prince Harry Makes Surprise Appearance at NFL Honors Hours After Returning from U.K. to See Dad King Charles
Prince Harry returned from a quick solo trip to the U.K. to visit his father on Thursday
By Ingrid Vasquez
Published on February 8, 2024 11:11PM EST

Prince Harry made a special appearance at Thursday's NFL Honors to give out the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year to Pittsburgh Steelers defensive tackle Cameron Heyward.​

Here are some background info that hopefully will put this appearance in some context:

• The "Walter Payton NFL Man of Year" award is a prestigious award that recognize an NFL player's off-the-field community Service.
  • Cameron Heyward was nominated six times before he won this year.
  • Cameron Heyward has been involved in a lot of charity work. He stated in an interview that he has met Prince Harry at a charity event many years ago and has been friends for some time.

A reasonable guess is that Prince Harry was asked to present the award for a friend. :flowers:

How typical. Lol.??
:lol: Few things will ever be funnier to me than the way they cling to those titles like a security blanket. Did they think no one would know who they were if the website was just harryandmeghan.com?

Was doubling down on the Sussex title really the rebranding plan WEM had in mind for Meghan? I find this whole thing hilarious. Gauche, but hilarious.

Can i just say i appreciate that in the page for Meghan it says "champion of human rights and gender equity" and not the more commonly used 'equality'?
(for those knowing the difference, see this illustration https://interactioninstitute.org/illustrating-equality-vs-equity/ )

Also, with every step they take, i hope they will leave behind their phase of bashing and complaining about others, so for this new website, i hope the same :flowers:

I like how clean and easy to navigate TRH The Sussexes' new site is. My only critique is that it seems unnecessary to have a link to SussexRoyal.com on the Sussex.com when the former only links back to the latter...unless they're going to tie in their former patronages to their current ones (e.g. The Hubb Community Kitchen leading to The Welcome Project).

Also, with every step they take, i hope they will leave behind their phase of bashing and complaining about others, so for this new website, i hope the same :flowers:

Its been over four years now. Progress towards their philanthropic and commercial future which doesn't involve complaining about the BRF has been very slow so far. Perhaps this is another step forward, or perhaps not. Time will tell.

It must be so debilitating for them to just go on whingeing consistently, especially for Meghan as she was only a working member of the firm for 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom