"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those thinking Harry can never return, I would like to remind you of a Dutch royal scandal, the Margarita-affair. She and her husband really harmed the Dutch Royal family around 2004, but right now she is once again part of the family. For those who don't remember article 1 and article 2.

Yes, but it was only after her divorce that relations began to improve. So, by that logic, Harry would only be in a position to return to his family if he divorces Meghan.

What I find equally appalling and fascinating is Harry and Meghan's idea of "privacy" and information about them, or "fears" about private information regarding them, or their children, being given to the public on a silver platter to the public. As The Sussex's say.

Now Harry, who in the past refused to name Archie's Godparents, or what person introduced them, as well as cat and mouse games with the Media about when Archie was actually born, is ACTUALLY telling us about the status of his penis ? Graphic details about losing his virginity ?

For the World to know...... and throws in William's "status" too.....in case that question was keeping anyone up at night.
Nonchalantly and blithely talks about Taliban 'kills' in a time of great fears of Terror Attacks, what the heck was Harry thinking ?

I remember being interested, just for fun, on where or when The Sussex's went on their Honeymoon, but it *seems* there was an embargo on that State Secret, unlike the now Wales's who went to the Seychelles, and didn't feel the need to hide it.

I am simply shocked at the disclosures in this book. Grenades thrown at The Family and lurid personal details that Harry has revealed that make him appear petty, jealous, dim, and quite honestly clownish. It seems in equal measure.

I also wonder about who is advising him on PR, because this Book seems to me to be an epic lapse in judgement that does not help his reputation or quest to be taken as someone with leadership skills or gravitas.
Just the opposite......

I can't imagine how cringeworthy the coming interviews he has scheduled will be too.

Last edited:
Yes, but it was only after her divorce that relations began to improve. So, by that logic, Harry would only be in a position to return to his family if he divorces Meghan.

I'm not an expert but I guess a major chance is necessary to gain trust.

I'm not an expert but I guess a major chance is necessary to gain trust.

I think some time in Rehab, a mental institution and a few years lying low is what is going to do it. But yes - without Meghan.

Goodness. There's an article currently on People's website about Harry's thoughts on William and Catherine's wedding day. While some of it does seem to just be a bit of nostalgia and acknowledging that life changes after marriage and that he'd miss some of their times as bachelor brothers, I can certainly see how it would be hurtful to William but to Catherine, in particular. If the years of stories are true, and we have no indication that they aren't, about how she so readily opened her home and heart to Harry, treated him as a younger brother, always kept the door and the refrigerator open for him, delighted in his time as Uncle Harry to a young Prince George, etc. hearing his thoughts about her wedding and marriage must be quite the blow.

What did he say? I am trying to keep up with all that is being released, but I haven't seen that.

I also wonder about who is advising him on PR, because this Book seems to me to be an epic lapse in judgement that does not help his reputation or quest to be taken as someone with leadership skills or gravitas.
Just the opposite......

I can't imagine how cringeworthy the coming interviews he has scheduled will be too.

Very well said. How can Harry expect to be taken seriously as a world-class philanthropist when he sanctions a book describing his first time and the status of his body parts?

Last edited:
The Mail now has a longer and more in depth article about the "baby brain" comment. It appears that this was part of a larger conversation held after Meghan and Harry returned from their honeymoon. It seems it's William who reprimanded Meghan and told her that she was being rude while it's pretty clear that Catherine had certainly stood up for herself and made it clear that while they were hosting Meghan and Harry in their home for tea, they were certainly not close enough for Meghan to speak to her like that. It also says in black and white that there had long been simmering tensions between the two couples and that Meghan and Harry were jealous of William and Catherine's home, decor, furnishings, etc.

Another article there also states that he accuses Camilla of plotting to take the Crown. He adds that he believes it was with the blessing of his father and notes that articles came out with small details about her conversations with William and he believes that those details came from her and not from William. It'll be interesting to see what Charles chooses to do now given what we've been hearing about Camilla being the red line for him.

I actually have a lot of respect for Catherine here
She is obviously a tough cookie who takes no nonsense. Good for her.

Someone else think Harry had some help by the producers of "The Royals"?

So no one's wife came but Harry threw a tantrum because Meghan was included...Doesn't make any sense!

I took this as initially being defensive because of his perceived slight against Meghan. Then he realized the gathering appeared to be blood relatives only, and told his dad he should have mentioned that from the start.

It sounds as if they were anticipating the Queen's imminent demise. I feel for the whole family. That can't have been easy.

For those thinking Harry can never return, I would like to remind you of a Dutch royal scandal, the Margarita-affair. She and her husband really harmed the Dutch Royal family around 2004, but right now she is once again part of the family. For those who don't remember article 1 and article 2.

One notable difference is that Princess Margarita was not part of the Royal House as an official representative of the monarchy and the nation like the Duke of Sussex.

Reactions: SOS
"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

Regardless of how much is true, lies, embellished, details left out, remembered or not remembered correctly- whatever:

This is such a gross violation of William, Catherine, Charles, Camilla- and probably someone else’s- privacy. That’s just wrong imo. Especially since they don’t get to give line by line defenses, explanations or context to any of this.

I’ve read enough already to be appalled.

Last edited:
So no one's wife came but Harry threw a tantrum because Meghan was included...Doesn't make any sense!

Sophie went and so did Tim Lawrence and Camilla so I don't understand this.

Last edited:
Sophie went and so did Tim Lawrence so I don't understand that.

Those are the spouses of the Queen’s children, not her grandchildren. Harry is a different generation. He and William were the only grandkids there at all, from what I recall.

Sophie went and so did Tim Lawrence so I don't understand that.

They were children in law. No grandchildren partner went. The other grandkids partners didn't come the next day either.

I think ai probably wouldn't have gone PIL are different.

The Mail now has a longer and more in depth article about the "baby brain" comment. It appears that this was part of a larger conversation held after Meghan and Harry returned from their honeymoon. It seems it's William who reprimanded Meghan and told her that she was being rude while it's pretty clear that Catherine had certainly stood up for herself and made it clear that while they were hosting Meghan and Harry in their home for tea, they were certainly not close enough for Meghan to speak to her like that. It also says in black and white that there had long been simmering tensions between the two couples and that Meghan and Harry were jealous of William and Catherine's home, decor, furnishings, etc.

Another article there also states that he accuses Camilla of plotting to take the Crown. He adds that he believes it was with the blessing of his father and notes that articles came out with small details about her conversations with William and he believes that those details came from her and not from William. It'll be interesting to see what Charles chooses to do now given what we've been hearing about Camilla being the red line for him.

Interesting. Did they mention how William stuck his finger in Meghan's face, to the point where she had to ask him to stop?

Those are the spouses of the Queen’s children, not her grandchildren. Harry is a different generation. He and William were the only grandkids there at all, from what I recall.

Others came next day.

Page Six has details about the “who made who cry story.” According to Harry’s account, four days before the wedding Kate asked that the bridesmaids dresses be remade. The next day Kate brought Meghan flowers and apologized.

The Duke of Sussex, 38, wrote that the Princess of Wales texted his wife the week of their nuptials about a “problem” with daughter Princess Charlotte’s frock for the occasion.

“The French haute couture dresses had been hand-sewn based solely on [the bridesmaids’] measurements, so it was not surprising that they needed alterations,” Harry wrote of the pint-sized designs, which were custom-made by Givenchy’s then-creative director Clare Waight Keller, who also created Markle’s wedding dress.

The Duchess of Sussex, 41, replied to Middleton and told her to bring Charlotte, now 7, to the palace, where a tailor was waiting to perform alterations for all six of the bridesmaids; according to Harry, this was “not sufficient” for the princess, who arranged a time for the two to talk.

Charlotte’s dress was “too big, long and baggy,” Middleton allegedly told Markle, adding that the youngster “burst into tears when she tried it on.”

When Markle reiterated that Middleton should bring Charlotte to the tailor on standby for tweaks, Harry wrote, the princess told her that all the bridesmaid dresses needed to be completely remade — with four days to go until the wedding.

According to the duke, Middleton also said her own wedding dress designer, Alexander McQueen’s Sarah Burton, agreed with her assessment.

While the Princess of Wales eventually agreed to visit the tailor with Charlotte, Harry wrote, he later found Markle in tears “on the floor” following the altercation. The following day, he continued, Middleton apologized and brought over flowers and a card.

What i don't get is, Harry and Meghan expected syahty and understanding for cutting off her father when he spoke out and worked with the media but Harry and Meghan have trashed his family non stop for their financial gain (which was Thomas Markle's outcome) - so what is different? If the same rules apply then Harry and Meghan themselves are the indicator that Harry's family have every right not to speak to them anymore just as Meghan no longer speaks to her father.

The revelations in the book are pretty tawdry and seem to be very focussed on hurting the RF - there is so much about William and Catherine for example, it is hard to not believe it is all so personal and pointedly aimed at them.

There will be no going back now IMO, at best an uneasy, cordial truce in a few years where each side largely ignores the other.

Page Six has details about the “who made who cry story.” According to Harry’s account, four days before the wedding Kate asked that the bridesmaids dresses be remade. The next day Kate brought Meghan flowers and apologized.

That's different to the baby brain sorry. Who know. People get tllike this at weddings. The dress was actually too big for Charlotte.

I’ve long suspected she is a nice person- but not a doormat either.

For what it’s worth, the flower girl dresses were quite messy, compared to other weddings. The hems were all over the place. I can see how you wouldn’t want that brought up as an issue, but Catherine has always made sure the kids are impeccably dressed when they’re at big public events.

This rings true for me. I'm kind of stunned that Catherine wanted the dresses remade with so little time left before the wedding. I myself had something similar happen at my wedding, and couldn't believe my SIL was dictating how my bridesmaids should be dressed.

People do things they should not in tense situations like these, and I'd say it's to be expected. I don't think this is a big deal.

I do, too. While she is always the model of class and decorum, it would be easy to mistake that for being a shrinking violet. We've had occasional glimpses that tell us that she is not a shrinking violet but this story from Harry certainly confirms it. She certainly proves that you can be tough, no nonsense, and self-respecting without needing to tell the whole world so every time you open your mouth. What's that old saying? A lion doesn't need to tell the world it's a lion...

Interesting. Did they mention how William stuck his finger in Meghan's face, to the point where she had to ask him to stop?

If someone said something about my hormones that I wasn't close too I might think they were a being a bit forward but I wouldn't tell them that to their face. If Kate did tell her that and William pointed at Meghan and called her rude for saying it then that was surely a massive overreaction on their part.

For what it’s worth, the flower girl dresses were quite messy, compared to other weddings. The hems were all over the place. I can see how you wouldn’t want that brought up as an issue, but Catherine has always made sure the kids are impeccably dressed when they’re at big public events.

Understandable imo given the amount of public attention on her children.

Isn't trying to get the bridesmaids looking their best good for Meghan as well - no one wants the press talking about ill made dresses on your big day.

BTW to me what Harry wrote doesn't necessarily mean the "Catherine cried" story isn't true, in fact I can understand more why it may have been reported how it did.

Harry wrote, he later found Markle in tears “on the floor” following the altercation

What floor - Notts cottage? It seems unlikely Harry walked in to the fitting and Meghan was just there sobbing. If it was Notts Cottae Catherine presumably wouldn't have been there then to witness that. What is to say Catherine didn't cry at the actual fitting or when she got home? If there were any witness at the fitting it would be easy to see why "Catherine cried" was the story the press had while no one knew Meghan cried.

I have to say, Harry sounds very much in need of some calm, quiet time out.

That's different to the baby brain sorry. Who know. People get tllike this at weddings. The dress was actually too big for Charlotte.

Yes, there were two separate incidents. One involving the row about bridesmaids dresses and the other where Meghan accused Kate of having “baby brain.”

What’s not clear is which incident transpired first.

Who is advising these two? They are both digging themselves a hole so deep they will never get out of it!

Being mad is one thing ... being insane is quite another. These interviews, books, and revelations are just bonkers.

They did. Though I don't think I would word it the same way. It appears to me that rather than "having to ask him to stop" this was a confrontation in which William pointed his finger at her and she, once again, became offended and snapped at him to "if he didn't mind, take his finger out of her face." Frankly, though it certainly wouldn't be my proudest moment, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have also pointed a finger at her as I told her directly that she was being rude.

They were. Charlotte's dress was clearly too big but hers certainly wasn't the only one of those dresses that didn't fit properly. They looked messy and sloppy compared to those in other royal weddings and, for the record, the no tights thing did appear overly casual for the style of the wedding.

If someone said something about my hormones that I wasn't close too I might think they were a being a bit forward but I wouldn't tell them that to their face. If Kate did tell her that and William pointed at Meghan and called her rude for saying it then that was surely a massive overreaction on their part.

Was it an overreaction, though? Catherine absolutely had the right to tell Meghan or anyone else that they weren't nearly close enough to her to speak about her hormones. This is equivalent to people wanting to touch your pregnant belly. You have the right to tell people they're out of line. Frankly, I see this as Catherine standing up for herself and William both backing her up and telling Meghan to her face what had clearly been the impression of her behavior for some time within the family.

What I find equally appalling and fascinating is Harry and Meghan's idea of "privacy" and information about them, or "fears" about private information regarding them or their children being up to the public on a silver platter to the public.

Now Harry, who in the past refused to name Archie's Godparents, or what person introduced them, as well as cat and mouse games with the Media about when Archie was actually born, is ACTUALLY telling us about the status of his penis ? Graphic details about losing his virginity ?

For the World to know and throws in William's status too.....in case that question was keeping anyone up at night.
Nonchalantly and blithely talks about Taliban kills in a time of great fears of Terror Attacks, what the heck was Harry thinking ?

I remember being interested, just for fun on where or when The Sussex's went on their Honeymoon, but it *seems* there was an embargo on that State Secret, unlike the now Wales's who went to the Seychelles.

I am simply shocked at the disclosures in this book. Grenades thrown at The Family and lurid personal details that Harry has revealed that make him appear petty, jealous, dim, and quite honestly clownish. It seems in equal measure.

Just the opposite......

Granada I could not agree more . You nailed it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom