The Princess of Wales's Eveningwear Part 1: September 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you miss the point in terms of why she chose this ceremony to flag up reusable fashion. I also think it is ground breaking for a senior Royal to hire for a major occasion.

I think you miss the point in terms of why she chose this ceremony to flag up reusable fashion. I also think it is ground breaking for a senior Royal to hire for a major occasion.
No. I do not. And obviously she cared little for reusable fashion on this whole trip. Everything I read about her clothes there was labelled new... new... new.
Bringing on a rented dress for the main event did not save it.
I'm not saying she should have not rented it, but the whole internetworld going crazy about this move is a bit exaggerated.

Plus, and I might get slaughtered for that, I have problems to believe that a random rented dress fits her like a second skin - in lenght, size etc. She is very thin and rather tall. I might think had she not the possibility to get bespoke dresses /clothes she would have problems to find very good fitting clothing.

No. I do not. And obviously she cared little for reusable fashion on this whole trip. Everything I read about her clothes there was labelled new... new... new.

Bringing on a rented dress for the main event did not save it.

I'm not saying she should have not rented it, but the whole internetworld going crazy about this move is a bit exaggerated.

Plus, and I might get slaughtered for that, I have problems to believe that a random rented dress fits her like a second skin - in lenght, size etc. She is very thin and rather tall. I might think had she not the possibility to get bespoke dresses /clothes she would have problems to find very good fitting clothing.

All of the other clothes she wore on this trip no doubt will be reused though. They all fit very much into her working wardrobe and I bet we see every single piece worn again at other engagements over the next two years. She often debuts new clothes on tours and then repeats them back in Britain.

And as for the dress not fitting if it wasn’t tailored for her- What Kate Wore included an image of the dress on a model, and it fit the model almost exactly the way it fit Catherine. Her tall and slender figure may be uncommon among most people, but it’s pretty standard for models, and it doesn’t surprise me that the size would be available as a standard size.

https://whatkatewore.com/2022/12/03/the-princess-goes-green-for-earthshot-prize-awards/

About the only way Catherine is not going to upstage Queen Camilla at these formal events is if she stays home. I think Camilla is fine with it, she's spent decades being upstaged by Diana, Diana's memory and now Catherine. Camilla seems like a well-adjusted person to me.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree. Straight dresses do not flatter a very lean, long torso body.

Ah, but very lean, long torso bodies flatter straight dresses. No model could have looked better in that dress.

Princess of Wales at the Earthshot Prize Ceremony tonight

Normally the Princess excels with evening wear but I didn't like the design or the colour on Catherine and would have preferred an upstyle for the awards.

The Earthshot prize was just a few days ago. She should have recycled a previously worn red dress.

This dress does nothing for her. It ages her. The only royal woman who can get away with this very 80s look is Queen Silvia of Sweden.

:previous: when I look at the product shot of the dress on the Instagram post, it does remind me the usual style of Silvia.

I think the combination of the dress, her hair, and the jewelry is wonderful. Catherine looks great.

She looks great but I'm confused on the choice for hairstyle + tiara. It needs to be up, and here in the pictures it reminds me of the 1960's Go-Go beehive hairstyle. You know, the one using a band on the head, that I recall had a lift under the hair. Her hairstyle looks very '60s

Catherine looks stunning,the red is a beautiful choice of colour but an up style hairdo would have been the icing on the cake!

She looks great but I'm confused on the choice for hairstyle + tiara. It needs to be up, and here in the pictures it reminds me of the 1960's Go-Go beehive hairstyle. You know, the one using a band on the head, that I recall had a lift under the hair. Her hairstyle looks very '60s
As soon as I saw it I thought of Princess Anne when she started wearing tiaras at 17. She wore her hair up for tiara events after she married.

https://images.hellomagazine.com/im...1/princess-anne-cartier-halo-tiara-1969-z.jpg

I can see the retro aspect to her ‘tiara hair’ but I quite like it, mainly because it is a new look for Catherine and the tiara sits well.Plus her hair isn’t cascading in front to hinder anything. I like the gown - the simplicity of the round neck, the rich colour and decorative motif. The overall effect is very lovely.

Princess of Wales looks great, love her in Red ! hair is fab

Beautiful dress! I like how her hair is styled with the tiara.

I think she looks nice indeed but I am not a great fan of the dress. It looks a bit dated to me, something that Queen Letizia would have worn as Pss of Asturias. It may be the lace applications as they were so popular a decade ago. The cut is nice and suits her very well, as does the neckline.

I can see the retro aspect to her ‘tiara hair’ but I quite like it, mainly because it is a new look for Catherine and the tiara sits well.Plus her hair isn’t cascading in front to hinder anything. I like the gown - the simplicity of the round neck, the rich colour and decorative motif. The overall effect is very lovely.
I so agree with you. I know I mostly like Tiaras wore with updos but this looked exquisite with her "unfussy" hair style pulled back to concentrate on her outfit. To be truthful, I get so tired of some women always wearing the same hair style. I like change and new looks at times, even on myself. When past your 80s, it is time enough to stick to 'tried-and-true' easy hair but while younger, a stark change is brilliant, as long as clean, shiny and looking like they made an effort. So Princess of Wales look, while at first a bit surprising, really marvelous. JMO

I so wish I had that problem. I would settle for unflattering if I could fit into it.
Renting a gown for a gala occasion in another country is really false signalling to me. Wrong place, wrong time and, IMO not worth the money for rent. She has other beautiful green gowns she could have recycled which would have been far more effective.

As to the white and the red Gala Gowns she wore to Receptions in BP, she was the only royal to be trumpeting "new and very, very expensive" which was the complete opposite of both Camilla and Sophie who played the understated and reserved style in a time of financial hardship. While Catherine looked stunning, she also looked slightly out of step with the rest of the BRF. More communication ladies, remember how to use your phones.

More communication ladies, remember how to use your phones.

I am now imagining them all in an app group ?.

The borrowed green dress may be symbolic - she has other green dresses indeed. But at the same time she highlighted this organisation and perhaps showed people who would not naturally inclined to borrow clothes that it is a valid option as well. Considering the theme of the night that feels like an appropriate message to me.

I think it's good that neither royal lady wore white; that Royal-Ladies-In-White-Evening-Gowns look has dated.

I am now imagining them all in an app group ?.

The borrowed green dress may be symbolic - she has other green dresses indeed. But at the same time she highlighted this organisation and perhaps showed people who would not naturally inclined to borrow clothes that it is a valid option as well. Considering the theme of the night that feels like an appropriate message to me.

I agree with you. She certainly indicated that rented clothes is not something to sniff at and certainly can be done by anyone for any occasion. It fitted perfectly with the theme of the evening. JMO

I agree with you. She certainly indicated that rented clothes is not something to sniff at and certainly can be done by anyone for any occasion. It fitted perfectly with the theme of the evening. JMO

I agree, the use of a rented dress was to highlight renting as a potential option, and promote the circular economy. Fast fashion generates an awful lot of waste. There are quite a lot of new businesses offering rental of clothing and accessories, and it is good to see the Princess bring attention to the option.

As to the white and the red Gala Gowns she wore to Receptions in BP, she was the only royal to be trumpeting "new and very, very expensive" which was the complete opposite of both Camilla and Sophie who played the understated and reserved style in a time of financial hardship.

Was Sophie's gown from Susannah not new? She has worn similar coloured gowns in the past, but I am not sure I have seen her wear one with those sleeves ever before.

Back
Top Bottom