The Princess of Wales's Eveningwear Part 1: September 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A very sleek and elegant look for Catherine, and the shoes and handbag add to the polished impression.

Very flattering suit on Catherine. No word on by whom?

I personally don't like the huge earrings and lack of a necklace - but William looks so happy walking next to her :D

The Princess of Wales in red at a pre-campaign launch event, hosted by The Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood, at BAFTA in central London this evening, January 30:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part **

Wow. She looks amazing. I’m not always a fan of monochrome, but she rocks this one.

The earrings are awesome.

Catherine is glowing tonight! Red is perfect for her!

That's so Letizia.l

my thoughts exactly! she looks amazing in the red pantsuit.

I

Letizia has certainly worn similar looks in recent years, as have Maxima and Mary. Pant suits are clearly very fashionable, and Catherine has the presence to carry them off well.

Last edited:
In general I love the look, how we the material of the gloves is too heavy for the delicate material of the gown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, that gown and gloves are a total mismatch and the gloves have been pulled way too far up her arms. The earrings might have been nice with another outfit but they look odd here and are not complimented by the loose hanging hair. It's a massive fail IMO and she usually looks great at this event.

I'm pretty certain that she's had the white gown that she wore to the BAFTA awards in 2019 re-worked with additional draping on the shoulder.

That was my first thought, but I think it could also be one of the dresses used for her 40th birthday portraits.

EDIT: It is indeed the McQueen from 2019.

Last edited:
When I wished for a return of long gloves I had a classy return in mind and not this... Awful. Doesn't she have a dresser or whatever someone who tells you how to look best is called?
The dress is nice, I like skirts that swing when you walk.
The whole outfit looks like... I take a bit of this and that and don't care if it matches.

Love it - or would love it - without the gloves. Its too clashing - the light material of the dress with heavy evening gloves. Makes it a miss I'm afraid.

Edit - just seen a close up of the earrings - they don't look good either. Too big and clunky.

I LOVE the whole look, including (especially!) the evening gloves. It's all rather Audrey Hepburn to me and also a bit arty/quirky, which I enjoy.

I like the outfit and the gloves give an evening winter tone.
But I'm unable to understand, why, when you have access to the most gorgeous historical jewelry of the word....to wear Zara bling bling fake earrings.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually rather warm for February! I don't really get the black gloves, but the dress is lovely.

I love the dress and I love the gloves but I absolutely do not love them in combination.

Opera gloves can be such an elegant accessory and I think if they had been paired with say, the black velvet sweetheart neckline gown Catherine wore to the 2011 Sun military awards, the look would have been stunning and memorable. In this case, I think they didn’t pair with the gown and it made the look feel odd. Such an ethereal dress just seemed weighted down by the gloves and the lines ruined.

Not her best evening look. The styling just didn’t work.

I think she looked lovely. The dress moved very well when she walked. I like the contemporary hairstyle and earrings. They're a well-matched couple.

The dress is beautiful, but I like the idea of the gloves more than I like the execution; they seem rather heavy looking against the lovely chiffon of the gown. But that's the thing about taking risks with fashion, sometimes it doesn't play out the way you thought it would. I'm still happy to see the Princess of Wales trying things out.

I’m so disappointed with this look, particularly as it’s not that often we get to see the Princess in glamorous evening wear. I cannot for the life of me understand why she is unable to find a pair of earrings in the royal vaults that works with the look she is attempting to achieve. Though I’m at a loss as to what look she’s going for here. The dress is floaty, princess ball gown and the gloves and earrings are strong and striking. As has been said before, the opera gloves are too long and overwhelm the dress. ( see pictures of HSH Princess Grace as to how to carry this look off). I dislike the reworking of the shoulder decoration of the dress from its original form. Although I do applaud her for recycling her evening wear.
Given some of the stunning gowns she’s worn recently, this is most definitely a fail from me.

There is literally nothing that I like about this look. The long black evening gloves seem really bizarre with that gown and those sleeves. When she first wore this one shoulder white gown at the BAFTA's a couple of years ago, I thought it was one of her most stunning evening appearances ever.

The PoW has been in the sartorial stratosphere with her evening wear for the past couple of years, but not this time.

What goes up must come down I guess.

Last edited:
I think if the gloves had just been arm covers and not had hand bits — for lack of a better term — it might have worked better.

Back
Top Bottom