The Princess of Wales's Eveningwear Part 1: September 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Princess of Wales on a portrait for the announcement of the upcoming Christmas Carol service, wearing a glittering Needle & Thread dress:

** Full view ** Upper part **

Last edited:
Not a fan of the red sequins. Makes her look like a 50-year-old matron.

Agree. It has the same effect as the gown she wore in diplomatic reception, overdecorated and just too old for her. (Very Christmasy though) Wondering what earrings she is wearing.

Catherine looks very festive!

I like the dress on her but think the hair doesn’t look good the way she is wearing it. Just doesn’t look pulled together somehow

I agree that the hairstyle doesn’t work. It is a lovely dress but, whether it is the way she’s lit, that shade of red doesn’t really suit her.
I didn’t get the same impression with the gown worn for the Diplomatic Reception- it seemed to be a warmer colour. I don’t think sequins = matronly.

Last edited:

Agree 100%. It drags her down and the lower cut reminds me of the roaring 20's movie musical and play Thoroughly Modern Millie.

A solution for that top would be a ball/gala gown skirt with the floor length fabric over it.

The hair - here we go again. My perception of a royal event is Princess Grace's or Queen Letizia's style: Hair loose in day events or outside, hair pulled up in official events like galas or receptions.

She has a great head of hair, but her stylist needs to stop letting her go out like that for these events. My impression is the after party of this party she will change into a motorcycle gear or jump on a convertible with Will and storm off into the night.

Last edited:
Isn't it funny how a change of hairstyle makes you see everything differently? The first time out I liked the dress even though it isn't really remarkable in any way. But, this time out, I don't know, maybe her hair colour is a little darker than the last time she wore this dress but her voluminous and ever-curly hair almost totally obscures the chic detail and style of the dress.

Catherine has beautiful hair but I would have thought that by now she would be aware that she is the star of the show, not her gorgeous locks. There was a time in the last century when young women "came out" they put their hair up. This was a sign of their position and was perfect for the more detailed and elegantly styled clothes that they now wore. (it also gave them something to pin their hats to . . . but that's another story).

The red sequinned dress could have really looked stunning had she put her hair up, even in a bouncy ponytail that was beautifully coiffed but exposed the details on the top of the dress and arms but, for some reason, Catherine does not seem at ease unless her hair is down around her face. Go figure.

Isn't it funny how a change of hairstyle makes you see everything differently? The first time out I liked the dress even though it isn't really remarkable in any way. But, this time out, I don't know, maybe her hair colour is a little darker than the last time she wore this dress but her voluminous and ever-curly hair almost totally obscures the chic detail and style of the dress.

Catherine has beautiful hair but I would have thought that by now she would be aware that she is the star of the show, not her gorgeous locks. There was a time in the last century when young women "came out" they put their hair up. This was a sign of their position and was perfect for the more detailed and elegantly styled clothes that they now wore. (it also gave them something to pin their hats to . . . but that's another story).

The red sequinned dress could have really looked stunning had she put her hair up, even in a bouncy ponytail that was beautifully coiffed but exposed the details on the top of the dress and arms but, for some reason, Catherine does not seem at ease unless her hair is down around her face. Go figure.
At first glance these two red dresses look the same. However, the one she wore most recently to the diplomatic event is full length to the floor and the other one is not. The floor length dress is Jenny Packham while the other is Needle and Thread Aurora Ballerina.

I’m looking at the link TLLK provided. I like the Ballerina dress better :flowers: I hope I’m responding accurately :lol:

Chic! Like the color and the earrings:). Suits her much better than the red beaded gown depicted in the portrait earlier (bit too matronly).

It looks like burgundy not red. I much prefer last year's vibrant red look. This outfit looks like an everyday engagement look. Not a festive Christmas carol event.

Lovely colour! But the shoulder pad of the coat makes her shoulders disproportionately look broader than they're.

Her dress looks nice, but I don’t care for the brown red color.

She looks amazing to me but not Christmassy at all. I'd think she's headed for an engagement at a hospital or something. Christmas is the time for some sparkle!

I think this colour is seasonal. Those earrings add a little sparkle. Very elegant - as always.

She looks amazing to me but not Christmassy at all. I'd think she's headed for an engagement at a hospital or something. Christmas is the time for some sparkle!

I agree. Pippa and Zara also wore the same burgundy color. As the hostess The Princess should've worn a bright emerald or red outfit (like last year).

I love the burgundy colour, but she should get rid of those shoulderpads. Or just half their size.

I agree. Pippa and Zara also wore the same burgundy color. As the hostess The Princess should've worn a bright emerald or red outfit (like last year).

The color and cut of the coat make me think of a career woman off to the office.

The color and cut of the coat make me think of a career woman off to the office.
She is at her office.
I was totally underwhelmed with her ensemble and poor little Charlotte, dressed in mini-me colour and style, looked quite drab. Thinking about it I might have thought that the family was still mourning the loss of their Grandmother and Great-grandmother, with their personal styling reflecting their loss however, Catherine's gala wear has been more in line with the Christmas tree so it beats me what she was thinking when she was dressing herself and her daughter.

Beautiful coat with waist detail which is perfect for her long, lean figure. Love the rich burgundy and hairstyle, all on one side. Charlotte looked so well dressed and coiffed as usual and lovely to see her in the same color. Loved the princess’ long ruby earrings

The Princess of Wales looks lovely. It's a beautiful, rich winter color, and the cut of the coat is very flattering. It was clearly a choice by all the royal ladies to wear more subdued colors.

Beautiful coat and colour on The Princess of Wales at the Carol Service.
The best dressed British Royal Lady!

The Princess of Wales in red at a pre-campaign launch event, hosted by The Royal Foundation Centre for Early Childhood, at BAFTA in central London this evening, January 30:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part **

An elegant monochromatic look for the Early Years campaign kickoff.

Back
Top Bottom