The Princess of Wales's Eveningwear Part 1: September 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see the point of that; she has plenty of green dresses that would be suitable.

Why pay to rent one? I always think rentals are for clothing that is only worn once, for a special occasion.

But she is promoting the idea of a rental. Rather than a dress from her wardrobe she is putting it out there that we could all be doing that for special occasions

I don't see the point of that; she has plenty of green dresses that would be suitable.

Why pay to rent one? I always think rentals are for clothing that is only worn once, for a special occasion.
That was one of the suggested options for the guests' clothing selections tonight. Last year she rewore a gown, this year she opted to rent one. Perhaps next year she might consider a vintage one to wear.

Maybe as a compromise, so she can give us all the treat of wearing something she hasn't been seen in before, but without committing the eco sin of purchasing something new?

And it's a good way to highlight that clothes renting exists. I wasn't aware it was a thing until I read an article about Carrie Johnson's rented 'wardrobe'.

How did this information about her renting a dress come out?

I'm not a fan of the dress. She has a closet full of beautiful and more flattering dresses that she could have worn.

The shoes are fabulous though!

To make a statement - although she could also have chosen to rewear a dress, this time she chose to make a different statement.

Personally, I don't like the dress (not a fan of tight dresses with high splits).

To make a statement - although she could also have chosen to rewear a dress, this time she chose to make a different statement.

Personally, I don't like the dress (not a fan of tight dresses with high splits).

I’m the opposite. I love the tight dress and high split. She looks stunning. The shade of green and off the shoulder style is fabulous. I’d like to see her wear more dresses off the shoulder; it looks so good on her.

It’s a simple dress, but it sure is a statement dress imo.

I didn’t know about renting dresses. So- I learned something new.

I love the dress! she looks great

I’m the opposite. I love the tight dress and high split. She looks stunning. The shade of green and off the shoulder style is fabulous. I’d like to see her wear more dresses off the shoulder; it looks so good on her.

It’s a simple dress, but it sure is a statement dress imo.

I didn’t know about renting dresses. So- I learned something new.

I love the shade of green that she's wearing tonight.

As for renting dresses, I am glad that this idea is catching on as men have had this option for quite some time.

Love her look! Except, it would have been leveled up had she donned an updo.

Is that the same choker Princess Diana wore famously on her Australian tour?

Last year she rewore a gown, this year she opted to rent one. Perhaps next year she might consider a vintage one to wear.

Like Princess Beatrice did with QEII's gown for her wedding. Although Catherine is a bit too tall and a bit too slender for any of the Queen's dresses...

The green is unflattering but the cut suits her well.

Lovely hair. Keeping her hair behind, that's how she shall do when she wore her hair down in many previous occasions.

Any source regarding the dress is a rent?

Last edited:
She rented it from HURR.

She looks absolutely spectacular. The dress is a plain canvas to highlight the choker of course. The neckline, her hairdo and makeup are perfect. The dress itself does nothing for her, imo, it reinforces her straight, lanky figure which is a fine figure but could have worn another cut to cut the long waist and add some volume.
She appears to be at the height of her beauty, or maybe is just warming up!

She looks good but the dress and choker together make up kind of a green overload for me. The choker is beautiful - I would have liked to see her pair it with a less brightly coloured dress in order to really show it off.

That shade of lime green-which I normally detest-looks great on the princess against her dark hair.

But I don't think this particular gown is flattering to her body. Her already long torso looks even longer in some of the photos, which means she appears out of proportion.

What else can you say about that dazzling emerald choker? I remember when Diana wore it. It's even more stunning on her daughter-in-law.

Last edited:
I don't see the purpose of renting a gown, if you have decades of gowns. And is even not a special one.
Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't see the purpose of renting a gown, if you have decades of gowns. And is even not a special one.
Maybe I'm missing something.

They’re trying to highlight sustainability in the fashion industry, which is a huge source of pollution and waste. The suggestions to the guests of the Earthshot awards were to wear something they already own, which is what Catherine did last year, to rent a dress rather than using it only once, which is what she did this year, or to source a vintage dress, which is what people are speculating she might do next year.

The green color was chosen to be on theme with the event. I actually really like the dress, and as a Boston resident, I can say that coverage of it on local news was very positive. I think part of the reason some people don’t like this one is because it’s not as impeccably tailored as her looks usually are. As a rental, it would have to be a standard size.

I was actually hoping she'd rewear the amazing Jenny Packham Pakistan green dress (one pf my all time favourites) but this is also surprisingly lovely. I certainly could not pull it off but she does, tailoring issues aside.

It's great that she's bringing attention to the idea of women hiring dresses as men have done for decades without comment. And has others have said perhaps next year she'll wear something vintage.

Its a good dress for the occasion - mainly because its rented and green. I agree re the tailoring - its not the best fit, understandably as its just a rental but its perhaps the hardest style of dress to go for if renting as it needs to fit well - neither too tight or too loose. There are other styles that would have worked better where there would be more leeway in fit (and tbh it would be different to Catherine's usual style so perhaps have got more attention and been more obviously a rental rather than renting something that looks like it could be in her wardrobe anyway)

The purpose of renting it was IMO to raise attention to that concept - so it has worked. Personally I'd still love it if we saw her wear something made from recycled materials at the next Earthshot.

The dress is just what the occasion demanded. She looks stunning in the tv footage. The choker is gorgeous and shown off to perfection. The shoes are a great contrast.
I agree that Catherine is in her prime.

I love the lines of the dress, but the color makes me think of a green screen.

Nice dress, I don’t care for the heavy eye brows. Kate sure can spend a lot of money on outfits even if some are recycled. It would be interesting to see the to see all the royal families Spending totals on the outfits for public that are worn in one year.

That unbelievable emerald green ballgown she wore in Jamaica would have been great(can't link a photo from my phone).

But I don't see a problem with her renting this dress either.

I wouldn't normally care for this shade of green but Catherine looks great in the gown and the color looks amazing on her. And the choker! She hit it out the ballpark, IMHO.

She looks stunning. That lime-green color is gorgeous but tricky. I love that choker emerald necklace. And of course, those heels are to die for.

I thought celebrities rented dresses for the award season. Its not that shocking or surprising. But she was making a statement, so great!

Most celebrities are paid to use designer dresses, or are a loan to them. It's a win/win.
Good to see royals doing the same, better if they're promoting her national brands.

I like the dress, it's a difficult color to use, but looks amazing on Kate. But I think the problem is that straigth dresses aren't the best on her.

:previous: I agree. Straight dresses do not flatter a very lean, long torso body.

There were only two good things about this outfit:
the hair and that the dress is now used as green screen :lol::lol: I liked the pizza version :cool:

It did nothing for her. Not the colour, not the shape. The most horrible thing was the make up. If she sued the artist, she would win.

And for the message of renting a dress for special occasions... most people already do this, so it's not groundbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom