The Princess of Orange, News and Events Part 1: Dec 2021 - January 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pieter van Vollenhoven was frowned upon as the first "commoner" to marry into the royal family. His own parents found it a mésalliance as well: their son should have known "his place" and that was not with a princess of the blood royal...

But in hindsight, with both his parents from patrician families (Van Vollenhoven and Stuyling de Lange) and Pieter himself into the Senate of Minerva, back then an absolute bulwark of poshness in Leyden, he did fit seamlessly with the traditional milieu which was totally not alien to him.

All rumours of Amalia marrying with her German millionaire Ysebrandt K. can go overboard. Undoubtedly the Princess will loose her heart a few times to a beau here and there.

Last edited:
I’d been curious about Amalia’s plans for next year. I hope she really enjoys her time in Amsterdam.

I think it’s a good thing she chose to remain in the Netherlands for her first degree. As others have said, she didn’t need to go abroad to have a choice of good universities, and she’ll have the opportunity to study abroad later.

As far as it being provincial, well, Amalia and her counterparts in other monarchies aren’t destined to lead especially cosmopolitan lives.

The Princess of Orange obtained her hunting license. In the book for her 18th birthday she already revealed this plan, urged to do so by her father.

The Princess has no plans to shoot animals herself but wants "to prepare for the future management of the Crown Domains". Besides knowledge of arms and legal regulations, for a hunting license one needs an area to use such a license in the first place, one needs a safe for guns and for amunition, one needs to have no criminal records.

In daily practice the "fauna regulation" is managed by the Royal Forestry. Usually one day a year the King, who is in charge of the Crown Domains, actively engages in a hunt. Non-professional participants to a hunt (who need to have a Hunt License) never shoot alone but always in company with a professional from the Royal Forestry.

This fits with the image of Amalia eager to understand the (behind the scenes) working of the monarchy and related activities, shown by her recent participation in the preparations to Prinsjesdag, her earlier private visit to parliament and now her hunting permit so she has a better understandinf of how the Crown Domain is managed.

This fits with the image of Amalia eager to understand the (behind the scenes) working of the monarchy and related activities, shown by her recent participation in the preparations to Prinsjesdag, her earlier private visit to parliament and now her hunting permit so she has a better understandinf of how the Crown Domain is managed.

Yes, there is a beatrixian sort of aura around the Princess.

A modern-day Queen Wilhelmina in the making, it surpasses her grandmother's aura when she was queen.

Looking at her mother, I have no doubt she will be thoroughly engaged and prepared.

It was king Willem-Alexander who pointed out to Amalia that the study Politics, Psycholgy, Law and Economics existed. And clearly Amalia liked it after looking into it or she would have made a different choice.

It is now also knoen that Amalia 'found a room' (most likely not too hard if you fathers cousin owns many houses) and is looking forward to living together with other students. According to queen Máxima that will be a very valuable experience as Amalia and the others will learn to run a household together.

Party time this coming weekend,the Princess of Orange will celebrate her 18th this weekend,as she was fet up with celebrating her birthday two days after Sinterklaas on december 7th,she had always said that she would celebrate her 18th in summer instead of winter.

Asked if there would be a simular celebration like in Norway two weeks ago she said no,it will be relaxed.Good!

Hopefully there will be a few photos :previous:

I am expecting to see a few royal guests

Hurray for C-A! So happy she will have a proper birthday celebration.?

Hopefully there will be a few photos :previous:

I don't expect photos (other than paparazzi type). This will be a private party - which might include some royal guests, so I am sure some photographers will be trying to catch a glimpse of the guests.

I assume the party will be held at the Royal Mews near Noordeinde Palace in The Hague (picture) that seems the only secluded royal venue available, apart from Huis ten Bosch Palace. (Or they will turn the stately ballrooms of Noordeinde Palace itself into a fancy dance floor.)

The Royal Palace Amsterdam seems unlikely (in the middle of tourist-overcrowded Amsterdam privacy is far sought), as is Palace Het Loo (in renovation) and Castle Het Oude Loo (houses refugees from Ukraine). The former Soestdijk Palace looks unlikely to me and I do not know if Villa Eikenhorst at the Royal Domain De Horsten is available.

The Royal Mews in The Hague is close to top hotels to house the guests. Another possibility is Prince Bernhard's residence, Zwaluwenberg (picture), more than secluded enough and very safe as it is a military complex. The other Royal Mews, the one near Het Loo Palace, is a possibility too (picture).

At the same time I do not understand why neither the Government nor the States-General offer a banquet for the Princess of Orange. Or would it have been at Amalia's own request: "No circus, please" ?

Last edited:
Yes I had thought there would be an official gala to mark the Princess of Orange 18th birthday :previous:

Perhaps the princess didn't want any fuss.

It is really a Pitiy that there is no official event from the side of the Government for the pricness 18.th birthday. As the other Party i guess will be complete private like the 50th birthday of ther King and no photos will be released, as usually the dutch Royal are looking for their privacy at this sort of Events.

Although it is a pity for us I think it is better for the RF TBH. We seldom have these -public- big royal important birthdays like in Scandinavia. To change it would enforce the idea of a jet setting, over-spending RF and will give people another reason to criticise them for extravagance.

It is really a Pitiy that there is no official event from the side of the Government for the pricness 18.th birthday. As the other Party i guess will be complete private like the 50th birthday of ther King and no photos will be released, as usually the dutch Royal are looking for their privacy at this sort of Events.

I don't expect a public party either but the current king's 40th birthday did include a huge royal gathering with group picture at Paleis Het Loo. The king, however, celebrated his 50th birthday publicly with many Dutch citizens also born on the 27th of April at Paleis op de Dam and had a private royal party at Paleis Noordeinde.

Máxima both celebrated her 40th and 50th birthday at an event venue (concert); for her 40th some royal friends were invited as well. As her 50th was during the pandemic, it was a small event but televised and the 'other royals attending' part was skipped.

Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th, Queen Beatrix' 60th and her Silver Jubilee was celebrated on big scale. I remember a big opera and ballet event on Dam Square (typical Beatrix' taste). I do not remember this was seen as jet-setting money throwing. That was more with WA's fancy projects in Mozambique, Argentina and Greece, the speedboat (although grandpa Bernhard has proper yachts) and the Tesla sports model (although grandpa Bernhard had exclusive Ferraris, always with a cooler for his inseparable champagne Pommery Cuvée Louise).

I know that the King had a big public celebration with dutch citizens for his 50th birthday. But i still think it would have been better for the the celebration with the other royal do it like for his 40th birthday. Allow photographers for the arrival and a group pic instead of keeping it entire secret, because then they are honest that there is a celebration at all.

:previous:

Perhaps the princess didn't want any fuss.

As she stated during the last photo session yes,she keeps it relaxed.
IOW..out of public view...No tiara event like in Norway etc.

What I still expect if an official dinner hosted by the government to honour her 18th birthday
as was the case with all the Heirs.Maybe after Prinsjesdag.

Last edited:
According to Rick Evers Pss Amalia will live on a canal house on the Singel in Amsterdam. It will be rented from the 'Greek neighbours', namely the (billionaire) Dreesmann family. Security cameras will be installed and a private parking place will be assigned.

Marc & Janneke Dreesmann bought a villa next to the one of the king and queen in Greece. The Greek debacle supposedly was caused by the royal family travelling to Greece to celebrate a party at the Dreesmann family. That is why -some claim- the princesses were left behind while the king and queen travelled back. Though the official explanation was that there were not enough available seats in the airplane. A few years ago the Queen was pictured with Janneke Dreesmann and interior designer Mariska Dietz (wife of a friend of WA) in a restaurant in Greece.

Although the location is lovely and very central in the city, it is in one of the busiest areas (Singel near Oude Spiegelstraat). Most activities for students and other locals these days have moved out of the center to other areas, most notably the Pijp-neighbourhood. As the center has lots of tourists and expats perhaps she may be most anonimous in the center of the city.

https://www.quotenet.nl/vastgoed/a4...iljardairsfamilie-dreesmann-singel-amsterdam/

The article states that the Pss will not be living with her cousin Eloise. Apparently the two are not very close any more. A cafe owner in the Pijp area of Amsterdam had both of them as a guest one night and the two did not speak to each other. According to the article Queen Máxima has doubts about Eloise's onl;ine presence, though I do not recall her ever making a remark about it. Earlier Harper's Bazaar mused that the two would be sharing a house.

Last edited:
From memory isn't the Flower Market and my favourite Christmas Store in The Singel?

Shame that the 2 cousins are having a bad patch but sadly it does happen alas!

From memory isn't the Flower Market and my favourite Christmas Store in The Singel?

Shame that the 2 cousins are having a bad patch but sadly it does happen alas!
There is a market on the Singel, isn't there? [emoji848]It's been so long since I was in Amsterdam.

The Princess of Orange is very wise to keep herself far away from the gravinfluencer (Eloïse Sophie Beatrix Laurence gravin van Oranje-Nassau, jonkvrouw van Amsberg). I fully share Queen Máxima's alleged doubts about the quite frequent social media activities of her niece.

An Ard Ri said:

There is a market on the Singel, isn't there? [emoji848]It's been so long since I was in Amsterdam.

It is indeed close to the flower market, on the Singel. Only 5 minutes on foot!

--

Apparently the website bekende buren has a few photos of the interior of the house:
https://www.bekendeburen.nl/binnenkijken-in-de-vorstelijke-amsterdamse-woning-van-prinses-amalia

Last edited:
I must have missed this- what did Queen Maxima say about Eloise's social?

I must have missed this- what did Queen Maxima say about Eloise's social?

She said nothing (in public) but it is assumed that the Queen is not so keen on the social-media savvy gravinfluencer and apparently advises her daughter to keep distance.

It is all an assumption, we do not know the amount of truth in it.

Found the house on Google Maps. Based on the bicycles in front of the house it looks like it is already in use as a student house. Putting Amalia on the top floor seems a smart decision (and one that was no doubt taken after looking into all the security issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom