The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 - July 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is not the only person to lose a parent in a tragic accident.
But the way he goes on, you'd think it has never happened to anyone else, ever.

How long is too long? At this point his trauma just seems self-indulgent.

As far as I know Harry has never undermined or underestimated others’ grief at losing a loved one.

Are there people who would tell anyone who lost a parent, especially at a young age and in a tragic way, to stop talking about it and get over it? I never met anyone like that, but my social circle is limited. If they are such people, I would really be interested in their rationale in doing so.

I don’t think it have to be actually said out loud. Some adults are of the ‘Least said, soonest mended’ school of thought and are uncomfortable sitting around discussing emotions. For them, helping would mean suggesting a brisk walk in the fresh air, an hour of swimming in the sea, other such activities.

Are there people who would tell anyone who lost a parent, especially at a young age and in a tragic way, to stop talking about it and get over it? I never met anyone like that, but my social circle is limited. If they are such people, I would really be interested in their rationale in doing so.

I have to say that after reading comments on this boards, and those around news sites and social media, people clearly are and even more so, continue to say "but your brother is over it!" It is completely unfair. People forget that William and Harry are two completely different individuals, and worse, believe William "is over it". For all we know, William is still receiving psychological care from his mother's death.

Harry is deeply affected by his mother's death and he wasn't given the proper personalised psychological care and treatment after the tragic event and he developed PTSD. He thought the Army and being in Afghanistan would fix his problems, but instead, his PTSD got worse. His story is familiar to many veterans - privileged or not. Harry is trying to break down the stereotype that is prevalent in the military to "get over it", stay quiet and suffer alone. Because the suicide rate amongst veterans around the world is deeply concerning.

The truth is that it appears Harry needed more help than what was given to him after his mother's death. What he is doing using that experience to help veterans who are struggling with PTSD and other psychological conditions from being in the battlefield. He should be congratulated

I agree with the comments saying Harry shouldn't have to "just get over it" etc, because most people don't have a timeline for overcoming grief and neither should he. However the reality is, none of us know how much help he got at the time of the loss of his mother or subsequently. He says he didn't get any, or at least, not enough support, but conversely, he's also said how he was fortunate to be able to get counselling, and also, that his brother in particular was instrumental in getting him that help and support. What is fact is that he has used his experiences to highlight that support is very much needed for those suffering from PTSD, and also that he has monetised his loss/trauma to promote his book and various programs. He should be congratulated for promoting support for sufferer's, but not held so highly that he can't also be criticised for his negative and often contradictory approaches to the subject. Just my 2 cents.

Invictus is, as far as I know, for people injured on the battlefield.

While I know I don’t understand the trauma William and Harry have gone through, I find it to be self centric to speak about it in a movie which is about the injured soldiers.

I am from the school of thinking that one carries one’s cross. We don’t know what the others are going through and what helps them going on. One recipe doesn’t fit all. I think that’s what is grating me, the idea that we know the solution for everyone. I believe there’s not such thing and in that I cannot stand Harry’s way of taking things. By the way, has he ever acknowledged his brother’s trauma of losing his mother at 15?

It is quite simple, I think.
If the injured veterals feel that Harry with his traumatic history is something that creates a bond with them. That they feel Harry can really relate to their pain and mental trauma. Then he *should* talk about his own pain.
We can think whatever we want about his continual talking (or in some peoples opinion whining) about his past, but in the end only the opinion of the veterans matter. If they feel supported by the way Harry has taken up this cause, then that is the way to go.

He is not the only person to lose a parent in a tragic accident.
But the way he goes on, you'd think it has never happened to anyone else, ever.

How long is too long? At this point his trauma just seems self-indulgent.
That is his life and his story. Doesn't matter if you think he is being self-indulgent. By being a high profile person speaking about this lets others know it is ok and they can seek help. These feeling just don't go away. It affects all life decisions and relationships until you are able to work through it. He shows that there is nothing shameful in seeking help through counseling and therapy. You may not need to hear his story and what he learned but someone else may and that is more important.

It would be alright if it wasn’t for everyone to have it mixed in a doc about injured veterans. This is a production for profit.

Last edited:
It would be alright if it wasn’t for everyone to have it mixed in a doc about injured veterans. This is a produxtion for profit.

Of course it is a production for profit. It is part of their deal with Netflix. I personally have not watched it but will. All I can say is if someone has a problem with Harry speaking about his life than don't watch it, fast forward through his parts or don't read about him if you are tired of hearing about him. He is just showing people that even with everything at his fingertips growing up his life was not easy and he carried a lot of trauma. You may not need to hear his story but than the message is not for you. Someone else may benefit from it.

I would gladly ignore if he was not making attacks on things or people that I value. He knows what he does, it’s his way of garnering interest. I think it was one of the things that he couldn’t stand in the RF, the avoidance of division.

I just think that things have changed greatly with social media, 24 hour news cycles and the tabloids on how we view things. I think when you are on the receiving end of this it can be a bit hard to not have things bother you. JMO

I just think that things have changed greatly with social media, 24 hour news cycles and the tabloids on how we view things. I think when you are on the receiving end of this it can be a bit hard to not have things bother you. JMO

And how do you tackle that. Harry himself said that staff members were crying because they just couldn’t keep rebutting everything H and M wanted them too. Then you get into the line of if they don’t rebuke it then it’s true - Harry and Meghan already there.

It’s fools gold. Most of us have no idea what people say about us. As Gary Oldman said: what people think of me is none of my business.

A number of posts have been removed. They were either off topic, dragged up old controversies, were rehashing of very old news, or were responses to those posts, which is explicitly against the thread rules.

This thread is primarily for current news and events, it is not the place to re-litigate old grievances or score points, so please bear that in mind. Reports that do not follow the thread rules should be reported to the British forum moderators rather than be responded to, which derails the thread even more.

Harry, Meghan, Doria have been pictured attending a Beyonce concert in LA.

:previous:

The dailymail has some photos of them attending the concert:

** dailymail article **

Hilarious he is already that Dad who stands there looking awkward, on his phone, being miserable because some woman has dragged him to something he doesn’t want to be at…read anything but I sports game.

Every spouse will eventually have to attend an event he/she wishes she/he didn’t hafta! If I never have to attend another Grateful Dead (or Dead & Co) concert, I’ll be happy. And poor Harry, in the spirit of “wear silver”, apparently has on a lady jacket. It looks like a bolero on him.

Harry, Meghan, Doria have been pictured attending a Beyonce concert in LA.

I never pictured Meghan as a "Beyonce person" to be honest, but maybe she thinks Beyonce is someone she has an interest in being close to? I wonder if the two met after this particular show.

I never pictured Meghan as a "Beyonce person" to be honest, but maybe she thinks Beyonce is someone she has an interest in being close to? I wonder if the two met after this particular show.

I remember that she received a Text Message from Beyoncé — in the Netflix series.

Well we probably will never know what someone’s personal taste in music is and I think they have met in person before.

Meghan is a big Beyonce fan. She talked about her constantly on her Instagram for years. It is quite documented. And I think it is obvious now that despite that one shot of them... Harry had a time at the concert. There is plenty footage from the show concert. They were plenty loved up, as they say.

There were indeed and it is lovely to see after recent talk on SM. Beyoncé was a regular topic of hers on The Tig and it was obvious Meghan liked her as a singer.

This is slightly OT, but is it usual for football teams in the US to release a list of famous attendees? I've never seen a British/European football club do that. Maybe it's just an LA thing?

photo manipulation...I can take a picture of Prince Harry looking stoic or bored at the soccer came and post a photo of him dancing up a storm with Meghan and you would conclude that he had more fun at the concert than the football game.

That’s why I said that he seems, I didn’t say he was.

Yes he does seem to be enjoying himself. He's probably been looking forward to this match for some time.

It is amusing how the Brits say "football match" while American English prefers "soccer game".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom