The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 - July 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally am not one for paying attention to polls when it comes to rankings of the BRF because I don't think a large enough number of the population is taken into account. Besides that I don't think the Duke and Duchess of Sussex need the click bait for people to be interested in what they are doing. They are non working royals and live in America.

You don't need a "large" number of the population. If you use proper random sampling, it is possible to estimate Harry's rating within a margin of error of +/- 2 percentage points and a confidence level of 95 % with around 2,000 people only.

The key is that, in your random sample, you must be able to draw any adult person in the population with equal probability.

I personally never understood the reasoning behind the polling of members of the Windsor family both working and non working. What difference does it really make. You either like someone or you don’t. It’s almost as if all this polling just tries to keep them in the public eye whether they are sitting home or out supporting their patronages. IMO a poll can be skewed in favor of one person over another in order to suit a certain narrative.

You gov in the UK is accurate & reputable with a proven track record.

Interest will fade eventually.

Hopefully and everyone can go on doing what they do best shining attention onto patronages and things that matter in life.

The hypocrisy of the DM is nothing short of astounding. Time and again they wrote that the Sussexes were done in Los Angeles and how they were shunned by all of Hollywood. Now that they're actually pictures and videos of Meghan mingling with celebs she's on the verge of a comeback? Oh please!
From representing the monarch when visiting world leaders to the likes of the Kardashians…

The hypocrisy of the DM is nothing short of astounding. Time and again they wrote that the Sussexes were done in Los Angeles and how they were shunned by all of Hollywood. Now that they're actually pictures and videos of Meghan mingling with celebs she's on the verge of a comeback? Oh please!

I see it differently. Meghan making an effort to be photographed mingling with celebrities (going to back to back Beyoncé concerts, etc.) is part of her PR campaign to show that she is making a comeback and has not been shunned by the Hollywood world.

I see it differently. Meghan making an effort to be photographed mingling with celebrities (going to back to back Beyoncé concerts, etc.) is part of her PR campaign to show that she is making a comeback and has not been shunned by the Hollywood world.

I agree. I also think it’s ahead of a project launch of some type or other. We’ll see where it goes.

Well at least she is out and about and looks to be having a great time with “celebrities” who also look like they are having a great time with her. She doesn’t need a “comeback”. She looks like she is living the life she wants not dictated by rules or protocols.

Well at least she is out and about and looks to be having a great time with “celebrities” who also look like they are having a great time with her. She doesn’t need a “comeback”. She looks like she is living the life she wants not dictated by rules or protocols.

Well, to be fair, she does need positive PR if she is going to successfully launch any commercial activities, which is how they make their living. The last year has not been great for their image and thus far, none of their commercial ventures have succeeded except for those that directly leverage the royal family, like Spare and their docuseries. I don’t think it’s unfair to say they need a comeback- their livelihood depends on it. I think their public activities and the publicity around them can be viewed through that lens.

You have hit the nail on the head. But it took her spell in the BRF to get there , she was on a cable tv show before she met Harry.

I personally never understood the reasoning behind the polling of members of the Windsor family both working and non working. What difference does it really make. You either like someone or you don’t. It’s almost as if all this polling just tries to keep them in the public eye whether they are sitting home or out supporting their patronages. IMO a poll can be skewed in favor of one person over another in order to suit a certain narrative.

While I've questioned why Andrew, Sussexes and at times Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie are on the poll as they're non-working members, I believe that Harry and Andrew appear due to their position in the line of succession much like William, Edward and Anne are in the poll.

Well, to be fair, she does need positive PR if she is going to successfully launch any commercial activities, which is how they make their living. The last year has not been great for their image and thus far, none of their commercial ventures have succeeded except for those that directly leverage the royal family, like Spare and their docuseries. I don’t think it’s unfair to say they need a comeback- their livelihood depends on it. I think their public activities and the publicity around them can be viewed through that lens.

With all due respect I get what you are saying. I just feel as if whatever they do is always suspect or there is an ulterior motive such as going to a concert. I mean they do get to have an everyday life, you do get to go to lunch or out to dinner. And as for being around celebrities at a concert I am sure they are all together in a VIP section. As for positive PR I think their reputation is not as much in a free fall as others think.:flowers:

While I've questioned why Andrew, Sussexes and at times Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie are on the poll as they're non-working members, I believe that Harry and Andrew appear due to their position in the line of succession much like William, Edward and Anne are in the poll.

IMO here in the UK we do not in general make an issue of differentiating between the non / working members as such, They are the royal family.

It was a device to resolve awkward situations, but sometimes causes more confusion.

Last edited:

You have a point especially if she is planning to launch a new commercial venture in the coming months.

Both she and Harry's reputations did take a hit in the first part of 2023.

IMO here in the UK we do not in general make an issue of differentiating between the non / working members as such, They are the royal family.

It was a device to resolve awkward situations, but sometimes causes more confusion.

This brings up another thing that I've noticed. I've seen a lot of criticism about TRH The Sussexes in regards some of their commercial or "celebrity" activities, whether true or assumed. It's not royal to be a brand ambassador, it's not royal to endorse a product, it's not royal to do business with celebrities, etc...

Nearly four years after leaving their roles as working members of the BRF, many still treat them as such and expect them to follow the same protocols that they did before.

This brings up another thing that I've noticed. I've seen a lot of criticism about TRH The Sussexes in regards some of their commercial or "celebrity" activities, whether true or assumed. It's not royal to be a brand ambassador, it's not royal to endorse a product, it's not royal to do business with celebrities, etc...

Nearly four years after leaving their roles as working members of the BRF, many still treat them as such and expect them to follow the same protocols that they did before.

But you refer to them as TRH..... that is the confusion.... right there. .

Last edited:
Just a bit off topic but regarding the polling is it several questions asked or is it just one question about members of the BRF?

Just a bit off topic but regarding the polling is it several questions asked or is it just one question about members of the BRF?

I do surveys, not especially royal ones, what I have found is that what appears to be a random royal question pops up in the middle of a general survey. But it probably isn't that random, deviously placed more like, also allows them to say that a percentage of people of a certain age who like certain things also like / dislike prince / princess /

I should edit this to say the survey never uses dislike, it is more order of preference for certain members. Or a view on a specific situation, e.g William and football in Australia popped up in a survey on hobbies and past times, or a question on titles or the balcony

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply Hallo girl. Being an American I was just curious about how polling would be done regarding members of the royal family.

But you refer to them as TRH..... that is the confusion.... right there. .

Oh, I use it out of preference, not confusion.

Regardless, neither HRH The Duke of Sussex nor HRH The Duchess of Sussex use their HRH after the palace told them not to, and none of their projects since leaving are affiliated with any of programs initiated by the BRF. They aren't meeting with bureaucrats or philanthropists or innovators in the name of the BRF, and they have been very open about the fact that they are representing themselves and not the BRF. People will bring up the Duke of Sussex title, but HRH The Duke of Sussex is now on par with the Duke of Devonshire or the Duke of Somerset as a duke not representing the BRF.

The only argument I can see made is that, as the son of the current king and the brother of a future one, HRH The Duke of Sussex will always be seen as representing the BRF regardless of how divorced he is from its day-to-day work, which he can't help because he was literally born that way.

Oh, I use it out of preference, not confusion.

Regardless, neither HRH The Duke of Sussex nor HRH The Duchess of Sussex use their HRH after the palace told them not to, and none of their projects since leaving are affiliated with any of programs initiated by the BRF. They aren't meeting with bureaucrats or philanthropists or innovators in the name of the BRF, and they have been very open about the fact that they are representing themselves and not the BRF. People will bring up the Duke of Sussex title, but HRH The Duke of Sussex is now on par with the Duke of Devonshire or the Duke of Somerset as a duke not representing the BRF.

The only argument I can see made is that, as the son of the current king and the brother of a future one, HRH The Duke of Sussex will always be seen as representing the BRF regardless of how divorced he is from its day-to-day work, which he can't help because he was literally born that way.

They did choose to use Prince and Princess titles for their children, which was entirely their choice. They also do choose to use their titles professionally which they do not need to do. Both of Prince Harry’s upcoming engagements (Invictus and WellChild) are legacy projects from his time as a working royal.

To some degree, I agree with you that Harry will never be seen as entirely separate from the royal family, but I think criticism would be less if their financial path weren’t so reliant on who they are rather than on what they do and what they produce. That, to me, remains the open question about this couple: can they produce something worthwhile and valuable on its own merit? I think if they can, a lot of the criticism will fade away. I am personally skeptical of their ability to do that now that they are a few years into this, but I’m open to having my mind changed, and I firmly believe it would be better for all, both the Sussexes and the BRF, if they were successful in projects completely separate from their family ties.

Last edited:
They did choose to use Prince and Princess titles for their children, which was entirely their choice. They also do choose to use their titles professionally which they do not need to do. Both of Prince Harry’s upcoming engagements (Invictus and WellChild) are legacy projects from his time as a working royal.

To some degree, I agree with you that Harry will never be seen as entirely separate from the royal family, but I think criticism would be less if their financial path weren’t so reliant on who they are rather than on what they do and what they produce. That, to me, remains the open question about this couple: can they produce something worthwhile and valuable on its own merit? I think if they can, a lot of the criticism will fade away. I am personally skeptical of their ability to do that now that they we are a few years into this, but I’m open to having my mind changed, and I firmly believe it would be better for all, both the Sussexes and the BRF, if they were successful in projects completely separate from their family ties.

I totally agree. Those titles for the children though is saddling them with a weight. Like some Russian emigres post world war. But they choose that for their children and somewhere inside they want that connection very much. The kids should have been left out of it though and given a chance to be normal. I laugh when they said they wouldn’t refer to the children’s title in everyday life. Yeah neither do the other royal children. I do wonder what their surname at school is.

I would assume, (without proof) that the children will go by the name Mountbatten-Windsor.

I would assume, (without proof) that the children will go by the name Mountbatten-Windsor.

I tend to agree that they'll go by Mountbatten-Windsor as this is likely the name that they had Archie enrolled with for his pre-school and he'd be familiar with that one. I doubt they'd use Sussex.

It is interesting that Harry often looks most happy and engaged when doing activities that are similar to his time as a working royal, but I also thought he was happy and engaged at times in his life where he's made it clear that he very much wasn't. I agree that it's nice to see him smiling and doing something positive.

Harry has always had an ability to engage with people be they children or old folks and those in between, in a way that is totally natural. It makes me sad to see that he could make such a positive contribution if things were very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom