The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 - July 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TRH The Sussexes cannot control what the media or its consumers focus on. We've seen in both articles from People and the Daily Mail that TRH The Sussexes were supporting military charities involving bereaved children and military fitness. If people want to talk about the appropriateness of wearing poppies, then that's not a failure of the Sussex brand- those people just don't care about what they're advocating for, and never will regardless of what TRH The Sussexes do.

It is true that these events bring mutually good press to both the military bases and TRH The Sussexes, but it would be the same for any celebrity doing the same thing (and many have). TRH The Sussexes, however, get criticized harder than many celebrities with the same philanthropic interests.

The annoyance, in my humble opinion, is due to the fact that in spite of publicly and bitterly leaving the BRF nearly four years ago, TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are still treated like they're still working members: they still interact with high-ranking political and military figures, they still garner a higher prestige than other celebrities of similar caliber, and many fear that their "rival court" might cause trouble for the BRF in the long run.

Speaking purely from a public relations perspective, you are correct that the Sussex's cannot control the narrative and are criticised more than other celebrities. Unfortunately for them, it is the very negative narrative that they themselves built when they left the UK that works against them now and that is most certainly a Sussex failure. Most of the things that they did during that period brought them only notoriety, something that other "philanthropic" celebrities know is a bad thing for burnishing one's image. This is why their (or is it just Meghan who was signed on?) PR team are having to work so hard to try and change the narrative. In my opinion they still have a lot of work ahead of them before they will be seen in the way they wish to be seen by most of the public. Time and possibly their future celebrity children will help in the long run.

This discussion perfectly illustrates the problem with the Sussex brand, people are talking about poppies not programs.

The problem isn't with the Sussex's. I wouldn't say there even was a problem at all. There work is being talked about in other spaces, jut not on this forum in the way that you're speaking about. In spaces like this, when it's focused on the people and not simply dedicated to just focusing on their work (which is why there are tons of threads for different interest) what does it matter if people are talking more about the actual couple? Everyone who checked out the thread or commented see the post about the work. Even if they care more about the personal, the information on their programs have spread and one could look it up as one wanted too.

And when the news of the Sussex's work was talked about the local news stations, it was about what they were doing, not if anyone cared about poppies. So the work was focused on and highlighted to the crowd via the media without an extra.

In fact, discussions like that are better fit for niche spaces like this.

There are even threads on this forum (for all royals and not just the brf) that will have information updated on programs and patronages and either a passing comment or no comment's at all. Does that mean their is an issue with the brands of those royals?

So, imo, there isn't an issue. As long as the information about the program is out there for people to read and consume then it doesn't matter if people latch onto the poppy thing.

Again, from a PR perspective, there IS an issue with their negative image getting in the way of what they are trying to achieve, and they are fully aware of this. Having a positive image is imperative to everyone in the public eye, royals and celebrities in particular. They want a broader and more positive audience for their projects, naturally enough, but they will have to work hard to turn things around so that most people will read beyond the fluff. Just like other celebrities who pursue the philanthropic route, they will need to be consistently following a specific course and not derailing their image with negative "tell-all" interviews and books etc. Its PR 101 stuff!

Last edited:
Again, from a PR perspective, there IS an issue with their negative image getting in the way of what they are trying to achieve, and they are fully aware of this. Having a positive image is imperative to everyone in the public eye, royals and celebrities in particular. They want a broader and more positive audience for their projects, naturally enough, but they will have to work hard to turn things around so that most people will read beyond the fluff. Just like other celebrities who pursue the philanthropic route, they will need to be consistently following a specific course and not derailing their image with negative "tell-all" interviews and books etc. Its PR 101 stuff!

It is entirely possible that in the future, the public image of the Sussexes will be greatly improved. Just look at Camilla!

I remember back in the day where newspaper headline were calling her "The Rottweiler" (Yes, i know that was Diana's nickname for her). Now look at the fawning coverage Camila got on the Kenya trip: she is feeding a baby elephant, how cute. She is Queen now, even though when she married Charles they said she won't be Queen.

While some diehard Diana fan will never forgive her, Camilla's approval rating is much improved. This is the result of decades long strategic and dedicated PR effort. If Camilla can do it, surely the Sussexes can do it too.

The annoyance, in my humble opinion, is due to the fact that in spite of publicly and bitterly leaving the BRF nearly four years ago, TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are still treated like they're still working members: they still interact with high-ranking political and military figures, they still garner a higher prestige than other celebrities of similar caliber, and many fear that their "rival court" might cause trouble for the BRF in the long run.

That's not true. Hardly anyone in their right mind would think Harry and Meghan's Montecito court is a rival for the BRF, especially coming from the last 4 years of bad press and ill-advised actions.

The annoyance (and you're right in thinking there's one) mostly comes from the Sussex trying (still) to use their royal titles and fame to insert themselves in the news at all costs. Not only it's shameful, but also clearly a case of high hypocrisy, but that's been their business for years now.

It is entirely possible that in the future, the public image of the Sussexes will be greatly improved. Just look at Camilla!

I remember back in the day where newspaper headline were calling her "The Rottweiler" (Yes, i know that was Diana's nickname for her). Now look at the fawning coverage Camila got on the Kenya trip: she is feeding a baby elephant, how cute. She is Queen now, even though when she married Charles they said she won't be Queen.

While some diehard Diana fan will never forgive her, Camilla's approval rating is much improved. This is the result of decades long strategic and dedicated PR effort. If Camilla can do it, surely the Sussexes can do it too.

There are major differences between the two situations . I am not saying Harry and Meghans approval will not go up, I do not think you can compare. There is one big reason why a great deal of people warmed to Camilla. The Sussex duo went down a different road.

What a surprise to see pictures of Meghan to appear in the press on the King's 75th birthday!

The pictures were taken last Friday, so it is very much on the Daily Fail continuing that narrative that Harry and Meghan like to one-up the BRF on milestone events.

The pictures were taken last Friday, so it is very much on the Daily Fail continuing that narrative that Harry and Meghan like to one-up the BRF on milestone events.

Its not just a DM narrative, its just what happens pretty much every time.

Its not just a DM narrative, its just what happens pretty much every time.

I will acknowledge that I am certain these photos were not just a random coincidence. But herein lies my problem - the photographer would have sold the pics to the tabloids sometime between Friday and Monday. The Daily Fail and others then waited until the 14th/15th November to publish them, where they could have waited DAYS after the King's birthday. So for me, the narrative is very much engineered, with the weight of probability on the media side

There are major differences between the two situations . I am not saying Harry and Meghans approval will not go up, I do not think you can compare. There is one big reason why a great deal of people warmed to Camilla. The Sussex duo went down a different road.

I agree that there are major differences between Queen Camilla and the Sussexes, though there is a path for the couple to improve their approval ratings. However it is up to them to decide if that is the road they wish to take.

Most of the suggestions on what the can do to improve those ratings have been discussed here before so I won't bother repeating them.

Oy! It can be nothing, it can have legs into something bigger.

“Their spokesman was also asked if Harry and Meghan cover their own travel, accommodation and security costs during Invictus, the last one being held in Dusseldorf, Germany, in September.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...vent-budget-despite-30m-government-grant.html

I fail to see how this line of investigation could lead to something bigger unless there is evidence that they were diverting money from non-profits to cover personal expenses. Any other scenarios would be inconsequential, including having their expenses paid by private funds from the King (which is unlikely), or having a third-party private benefactor (since they are no longer public officials, there would be no immediate conflict of interest).

I fail to see how this line of investigation could lead to something bigger unless there is evidence that they were diverting money from non-profits to cover personal expenses. Any other scenarios would be inconsequential, including having their expenses paid by private funds from the King (which is unlikely), or having a third-party private benefactor (since they are no longer public officials, there would be no immediate conflict of interest).

And what if, big if, the private jets and everything else was paid by Invictus? That’s the innuendo I feel in that inquiry. (No need for the King to pay, they have a very public government funding for Invictus.)

It’s not that surprising Meghan appeared via the Daily Mail on Charles birthday. It’s just as when they had an article about her hiking on the day of the Coronation, despite the clear time difference one could see with the photos. They posted pictures of her hiking during the day when she wouldn’t been asleep. It would be nice if the DM who always talk about the woe’s of the family to focus on him for his birthday and leave other people out of it.

And I doubt that Invictus money was used to pay for them aside from maybe putting some help towards the cost of security, if anything. And seeing as it’s the DM I’m not surprised by the innuendo.

But if something like that was happening with the funds, the information would get out. We can wait and see.

There seems to be a lot of leaks from the Sussex camp atm - that Harry was going to call his father for his birthday, that they did indeed call, that Meghan spoke to Charles and that the children recorded a message singing happy birthday to him. Also leaked that they say they will speak again soon.

Someone is going to have to explain to me why them leaking to the press is okay but Camilla supposedly leaking to the press makes her a wicked evil stepmother and why Thomas Markle leaking to the press makes him so awful and a failure as a father but its okay for H&M to leak about their parents.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67405658
Telegraph article https://archive.ph/SQk5t

There seems to be a lot of leaks from the Sussex camp atm - that Harry was going to call his father for his birthday, that they did indeed call, that Meghan spoke to Charles and that the children recorded a message singing happy birthday to him. Also leaked that they say they will speak again soon.

Someone is going to have to explain to me why them leaking to the press is okay but Camilla supposedly leaking to the press makes her a wicked evil stepmother and why Thomas Markle leaking to the press makes him so awful and a failure as a father but its okay for H&M to leak about their parents.

Scobies book is leaking as well.

If we were to treat these ‘leaks’ like most do about ones that come from the BRF aren’t believed, then how can we prove these are leaks? More like educated guesses. Harry calling his father for his bday, Meghan speaking for a moment and the mention of Archie and Lili. It’s nothing special. Like articles saying “inside look of Archie’s birthday” or something and them telling us Meghan made a cake. She likes to bake so it’s easy to guess.

But if we take it as true then you explained it yourself. Thomas leaking came before Meghan and Harry’s leaks. Camilla and Charles leaking came before Thomas and the Sussex’s, so we could just say they’re following in the parent’s footsteps.

Aside from the obvious of a woman leaking information about grieving kids to make her public image better to be with the father of said kids who she had an affair with. Charles leaking information about his kids to help his image or deflect from him. And Thomas who’s given his daughters letter to a tabloid that said she was straight out of Compton, along with the other things they’ve said/done.

And when it comes to the book and Netflix, that’s not a leak, that’s plain old sharing. So there’s no going behind channels and letting information slip here and there.

And given the way, I could say, that the Palace threw Harry under the buss by claiming that Harry snubbed the birthday event (also coming from a well placed source so leaking), why would it be so much of an issue If Harry leaked that he did pay his respects.

But given I don’t believe they had contact at all, I don’t trust the story. For months, we’ve heard that things are frosty, they don’t care to speak to each other and etc. I doubt one birthday party would change it all, seeing as it was said they didn’t speak for Harrys birthday.

If we were to treat these ‘leaks’ like most do about ones that come from the BRF aren’t believed, then how can we prove these are leaks? More like educated guesses. Harry calling his father for his bday, Meghan speaking for a moment and the mention of Archie and Lili. It’s nothing special. Like articles saying “inside look of Archie’s birthday” or something and them telling us Meghan made a cake. She likes to bake so it’s easy to guess.

But if we take it as true then you explained it yourself. Thomas leaking came before Meghan and Harry’s leaks. Camilla and Charles leaking came before Thomas and the Sussex’s, so we could just say they’re following in the parent’s footsteps.

Aside from the obvious of a woman leaking information about grieving kids to make her public image better to be with the father of said kids who she had an affair with. Charles leaking information about his kids to help his image or deflect from him. And Thomas who’s given his daughters letter to a tabloid that said she was straight out of Compton, along with the other things they’ve said/done.

And when it comes to the book and Netflix, that’s not a leak, that’s plain old sharing. So there’s no going behind channels and letting information slip here and there.

And given the way, I could say, that the Palace threw Harry under the buss by claiming that Harry snubbed the birthday event (also coming from a well placed source so leaking), why would it be so much of an issue If Harry leaked that he did pay his respects.

But given I don’t believe they had contact at all, I don’t trust the story. For months, we’ve heard that things are frosty, they don’t care to speak to each other and etc. I doubt one birthday party would change it all, seeing as it was said they didn’t speak for Harrys birthday.

Yeah, but the only ones complaining about others’ leaks (and the ones who inflicted so much pain and hurt) are the Sussexes. It’s not about big deal or not, it’s about doing it.

Follow-up question: Why are the BRF applauded when they fairly keep their distance from TRH The Sussexes because they don't know when private conversations will become public fodder, but HRH The Duchess of Sussex is condemned for doing the exact same thing to her father for the exact same reason?

Follow-up question: Why are the BRF applauded when they fairly keep their distance from TRH The Sussexes because they don't know when private conversations will become public fodder, but HRH The Duchess of Sussex is condemned for doing the exact same thing to her father for the exact same reason?
The BRF, HLM and KC3 in particular, did not completely disconnect / disassociate themselves from the Sussexes, whereas Meghan completely disassociated herself from her father. As far as the fear that private conversations will become public, the solution to that is to not share juicy tidbits with anyone that you think will spill the beans. You meet up with them, exchange pleasantries about the weather, your favorite sports team, who in the family does Archie and Lily resemble and so forth.

Ultimately it is Meghan's prerogative, but there is also the cognitive dissonance of Harry and Meghan accusing Harry's family of some pretty dastardly deeds themselves, or allowing other parties like courtiers and the media to abuse them, and yet they made it known that they wanted to continue working / being part of the institution, they attended events like HLM's Platinum Jubilee which is all about her role as the centerpiece of an institution that the Sussexes characterized as uncaring, cowardly, cut throat, mentally debilitating, racist, etc. To be sure Thomas Markle did some awful things, but to hear Harry and Meghan tell it, so did Harry's family members and/or the institution to the point where Harry and Meghan stated that their mental health was deeply affected, and yet Thomas Markle become persona non grata and Harry's family did not.

As far as the BRF and Mr. Thomas Markle, the BRF is a well-funded and very influential group of family members and palace staff. They mix at the top of society, business and government circles.

Mr. Markle is a vulnerable retired man in delicate health with no staff, who lives in modest circumstances. Everyone is going on about the Sussexes calling Charles and making a big brouhaha out of it. Mr. Markle is the one who needs the phone call.

The BRF, HLM and KC3 in particular, did not completely disconnect / disassociate themselves from the Sussexes, whereas Meghan completely disassociated herself from her father. As far as the fear that private conversations will become public, the solution to that is to not share juicy tidbits with anyone that you think will spill the beans. You meet up with them, exchange pleasantries about the weather, your favorite sports team, who in the family does Archie and Lily resemble and so forth.

Ultimately it is Meghan's prerogative, but there is also the cognitive dissonance of Harry and Meghan accusing Harry's family of some pretty dastardly deeds themselves, or allowing other parties like courtiers and the media to abuse them, and yet they made it known that they wanted to continue working / being part of the institution, they attended events like HLM's Platinum Jubilee which is all about her role as the centerpiece of an institution that the Sussexes characterized as uncaring, cowardly, cut throat, mentally debilitating, racist, etc. To be sure Thomas Markle did some awful things, but to hear Harry and Meghan tell it, so did Harry's family members and/or the institution to the point where Harry and Meghan stated that their mental health was deeply affected, and yet Thomas Markle become persona non grata and Harry's family did not.

To your last line, I think Meghan is leaving that up to Harry. In videos and etc that Thomas sold, even before becoming a royal, Meghan had issues with Thomas. She was sending him money as he lived in Mexico but it didn’t seem as if they were super close. So, I don’t think it was as hard for her to say, this is it. I’ve reached the end of it. I’m done. Remember, per her words, she told her father they had a chance to kill a story, something saved for the kids and they used it for him. Turns out they lied. Say what you want about her (and not you but in general) her father sold her letter and her childhood photos to a paper that had some very overt tones in their reporting. Thomas also went on a record on tv and said he didn’t believe his own daughters mental health. Thomas engaged with hate accounts on his YouTube channel. As used his channel to put down his grandkids while begging for access and befriended a reporter who wanted to buy a house next to Doria and see if they could get information. As well as his interactions with Thomas Jr & Samantha, it’s not worth it to her. I think her letter hasn’t ended up in the hands of the Daily Mail, Thomas would have more of a relationship with the kids than the BRF.

So, Meghan has cut that cord. Harry never had it. And as far as his family, she’s cut that cord as well and she’s letting Harry figure out what he wants to do. She’s already said, she believed them when they said they were going to be there for her and she won’t anymore. I also think Meghan is better at standing up for herself and she didn’t grow up in a very ………unique family that is more of a business than an actual family. So she’s made her peace not talking to her father or interacting with the BRF. And she’s letting Harry navigate the relationships he has and what he wants to do which is why they’re not cut off.

And the way Thomas talks about Meghan sometimes, as if he owns her, it’s strange, weird and gives other undertones. So I get why she’s kept her distance from him.

And Thomas needing a phone, not a view held by me. Like I said before you go on British TV and say you don’t believe your daughter had mental health troubles or felt suicidal, then don’t be upset if she doesn’t call you. I’m not saying Thomas can’t believe it but don’t believe me that and still expect the daughter to pick up the phone and call you. So you can personally tell that she should just get over it? And to be fair, so I’m being fair. I don’t think Charles -if he did get a call- deserves a call or a video message from Archie and Lili.

This is a reminder that this thread is for discussion of current events relating to the Sussexes, and rehashing of old grievances, speculation and gossip are not permitted:

Rehashing of events from 2017-2021, unless DIRECTLY relevant to the new information
is explicitly against the thread rules.

The moderating team has decided to not delete the preceding discussion, but any further comments along those lines is against the thread rules and will be dealt with accordingly.

Let's move on.

Last edited:
Here’s some red carpet footage. *Variety Red Carpet*

She also did a few red carpet interviews.

- Entertainment Tonight
- Variety

In the Variety interview she talked about her old show Suits and mentioned the new projects she has in the works:

Markle, The Duchess of Sussex, was informed by Variety’s senior entertainment writer Angelique Jackson that the legal drama has now crossed 45 billion minutes streamed on Netflix and Peacock combined, as of Nielsen’s latest weekly streaming report, released earlier Thursday.

“Isn’t that wild?” said Markle, who starred as paralegal Rachel Zane on “Suits.”

Markle says she has “no idea” what has caused the renewed interest in the series, but then ventures a guess: “It was great to work on, such a great cast and crew. We had a really fun time. I was on it for seven seasons, so quite a bit. But it’s hard to find a show you can binge-watch that many episodes of these days, so that could have something to do with it. But good shows are everlasting.”

————

“…But we have so many exciting things on the slate. I can’t wait until we can announce them, but I’m just really proud of what we’re creating. My husband is loving it, too. It’s really fun.”

Meghan told the Variety interviewer that she was “thrilled” to be back in the Hollywood community, so I imagine we’ll see her attend more of these type of red carpet events.

Here’s some red carpet footage. *Variety Red Carpet*

She also did a few red carpet interviews.

- Entertainment Tonight
- Variety

In the Variety interview she talked about her old show Suits and mentioned the new projects she has in the works:

Meghan told the Variety interviewer that she was “thrilled” to be back in the Hollywood community, so I imagine we’ll see her attend more of these type of red carpet events.

If that is their niche, good luck to them, lets hope everybody can move on to bigger and better things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom