The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 - July 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why suddenly their spokesman has issued a statement that Harry and Meghan didn't receive any invitation for King's birthday. They have been quiet with the statements for so long and suddenly for such minor issue we have a statement. Perhaps to ousthine the Parliament Opening by the King?

I think there was a response to this because of the newspaper reporting on this.It is the Times and not the Daily Mail.

I suspect that in this case Harry responded because it was an article in the Sunday Times, which is taken more seriously / more credibly than an article in a tabloid.

I think there was a response to this because of the newspaper reporting on this.It is the Times and not the Daily Mail.
Yes. I tend to believe this is why there was a response.

:previous: More on their visit to the U.S. Marine base at Camp Pendelton. People is a bit off regarding the location as the base is closer to Oceanside, CA which is north of San Diego.

https://people.com/meghan-markle-an...y-families-ahead-of-veterans-day-2023-8399809

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are preparing for Veterans Day.

On Wednesday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s organization Archewell shared news that the two “spent the morning with veteran and active duty service members and their loved ones at Camp Pendleton in San Diego, California.”

The couple regularly mark Veterans Day and Remembrance Day (a memorial day observed in Commonwealth nations since the end of the First World War in 1919).

During their visit to San Diego, Meghan, 42, and Harry, 39, stopped by Operation Bigs — a first-of-its-kind mentoring program dedicated to children of military families, including active duty, veteran, and Gold Star families.

Last edited:
:previous: More on their visit to the U.S. Marine base at Camp Pendelton. People is a bit off regarding the location as the base is closer to Oceanside, CA which is north of San Diego.

https://people.com/meghan-markle-an...y-families-ahead-of-veterans-day-2023-8399809

How do Meghan and Harry arrange those visits? Obviously they cannot just show up at Camp Pendelton unannounced.

Since Harry is no longer in the British Army (and has no official role either in the UK or the US) and Meghan has no record of previous military service or connection to the US Armed Forces, why would the Camp commander invite them to visit on Veterans' Day, or allow them to invite themselves and use the US Marines for their personal PR? Is it because of Harry's involvement with the Invictus Games?

Last edited:
I am sure they were invited by the military to visit the base. You just can't walk onto a military base without permission due to security concerns. This was all pre arranged.

How do Meghan and Harry arrange those visits? Obviously they cannot just show up at Camp Pendelton unannounced.

Since Harry is no longer in the British Army (and has no official role either in the UK or the US) and Meghan has no record of previous military service or connection to the US Armed Forces, why would the Camp commander invite them to visit on Veterans' Day, or allow them to invite themselves and use the US Marines for their personal PR? Is it because of Harry's involvement with the Invictus Games?

They most likely invited themselves and for some reason the base decided it would good publicity for them as well...

They most likely invited themselves and for some reason the base decided it would good publicity for them as well...
With Veterans’ day this weekend and all of Harry’s experience in the military, IG, and his support of those who serve it was great opportunity for him and Meghan to meet some of the people who serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that the couple opt to visit their nearby Naval base at Port Hueneme in the future. While it is a smaller base, it is closer to their home and local facilities would likely appreciate a visit too.

I have to admit, I also find it perplexing. Neither of them holds any official position in the U.S. nor do they act on behalf of the U.K.

These “royal-ish” visits just don’t seem like a good idea to me.

They are nonsense is what they are. Nonsense. I’d think the same if Brad Pitt turned up there…why? Not if it was a charity thing. Stick to the charity things.

It's nice that, because TRH The Sussexes' visit was reported at least by the Daily Mail and People, programs like Operation Big and the Warrior Fitness Program get some national attention.

Also, as others have said, there's no way TRH The Sussexes could just barge their way onto a military base and the personnel just shrug and accept it. The military is filled with people prepared to die for their country who live highly regimented existences. TRH The Sussexes' visit would have been preplanned long before this point.

Apparently, that particular military base and military organization found TRH The Sussexes' presence beneficial enough to invite/agree to an invitation in the first place.

It’s a visit to show support and acknowledge those serving. As I stated earlier Veterans Day is approaching and Harry does a lot for the Military community. T

They are nonsense is what they are. Nonsense. I’d think the same if Brad Pitt turned up there…why? Not if it was a charity thing. Stick to the charity things.

My take is, if Brad Pitt had previously served in the military, and a military organization had accepted his offer to do a thing for them, knowing it would bring them some media focus, what harm does it do?

I will confess to being quite bemused by these visits, but if the people at Camp Pendleton agreed to this, and are happy with how it went down, that's enough for me.

I think your invocation of Brad Pitt is on point, though, because that's definitely the bucket I put Harry and Meghan in now - celebrities instead of royals.

There is some information about both visits: https://archewell.com/news/uplifting-our-military-families/

& https://archewell.com/news/caring-for-our-veterans/ from the Archewell website.

I bet it was a lovely visit and I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves.

Also, these types of visit's are just limited to the royals. People with profiles or anyone who has a platform, be it celebrity, humanitarian, philanthropist and etc have been doing these types of visits and events without being royal. Many do it without the bonus or benefit of being royal. Showing up for military servicemen doesn't mean you have to be connected to the military in some official way, it's about showing up and showing support for that community. It isn't reserved for an royal, official or someone who works with the US military, support is support. Such as, Harry might not be in army but he is a veteran that is a founder of an international sporting event that is about service and helping those who are serving or have served. That's more than enough for him to connected to the event.

Even day to day royal work of visiting charities and being patron's of organization's isn't something you have to be royal or royal linked to do. You just have to have a platform and bring attention.

Also, Meghan in 2014 pre-royals worked was apart of the 2014 USO Holiday Tour. Simply as an actress, visiting and shining a light on service people around the world.

I wouldn't see an issue with Brad Pitt showing up either, he's a person with a public platform and the only thing he needs to do is shine a light. He could have family members that served or even simply knew someone that served.

Being there for a community doesn't mean you have to be apart of it, nor do you have work with the US governments. There isn't anything bewildering about the visits they do.

Harry has also released a statement / letter for Scotty's Little Soliders, a charity he has previously supported, ahead of Remembrance Day. It can be found on the Archewell website.

https://archewell.com/news/prince-harry-named-global-ambassador-for-scottys-little-soldiers/

Scotty’s Little Soldiers is a charity that aims to provide relief from the effects of grief for bereaved military children and young people who have experienced the death of a parent who served in the British Forces.

He's also been named the Global Ambassador

https://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/duke-of-sussex-remembrance-letter

There is some information about both visits: https://archewell.com/news/uplifting-our-military-families/

& https://archewell.com/news/caring-for-our-veterans/ from the Archewell website.

I bet it was a lovely visit and I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves.

Also, these types of visit's are just limited to the royals. People with profiles or anyone who has a platform, be it celebrity, humanitarian, philanthropist and etc have been doing these types of visits and events without being royal. Many do it without the bonus or benefit of being royal. Showing up for military servicemen doesn't mean you have to be connected to the military in some official way, it's about showing up and showing support for that community. It isn't reserved for an royal, official or someone who works with the US military, support is support. Such as, Harry might not be in army but he is a veteran that is a founder of an international sporting event that is about service and helping those who are serving or have served. That's more than enough for him to connected to the event.

Even day to day royal work of visiting charities and being patron's of organization's isn't something you have to be royal or royal linked to do. You just have to have a platform and bring attention.

Also, Meghan in 2014 pre-royals worked was apart of the 2014 USO Holiday Tour. Simply as an actress, visiting and shining a light on service people around the world.

I wouldn't see an issue with Brad Pitt showing up either, he's a person with a public platform and the only thing he needs to do is shine a light. He could have family members that served or even simply knew someone that served.

Being there for a community doesn't mean you have to be apart of it, nor do you have work with the US governments. There isn't anything bewildering about the visits they do.

Harry has also released a statement / letter for Scotty's Little Soliders, a charity he has previously supported, ahead of Remembrance Day. It can be found on the Archewell website.

https://archewell.com/news/prince-harry-named-global-ambassador-for-scottys-little-soldiers/

Scotty’s Little Soldiers is a charity that aims to provide relief from the effects of grief for bereaved military children and young people who have experienced the death of a parent who served in the British Forces.

He's also been named the Global Ambassador

https://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/duke-of-sussex-remembrance-letter

I do not disaggree, but those types of events around Remembrance Day (Veterans Day in the US) are something that British royals do as part of their official role in the United Kingdom, rather than in a personal capacity. It is impossible to dissociate then their participation in such events from their royal status.

When Harry and Meghan do it in the United States on their own, it looks like they want to project an image of still keeping a royal status that they actually no longer have and it feeds into the narrative of a "parallel court" as also seen in the past with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

I do not question that military families may benefit from such visits by drawing media attention to certain charities or causes, but I personally don't think officers of the United States should give Harry and Meghan a platform to play "pretend Prince/Princess".

Last edited:
I don't think that they are visiting in a capacity of Prince/Princess. It is part of their platform of supporting veterans and those currently serving. They are visiting here in the US a military base so it has nothing to do with what the BRF does.

I see this visit as similar to when they went to a California graveyard in Nov.2020.

I see this visit as similar to when they went to a California graveyard in Nov.2020.

Yes, that was the visit with the fashion photographer in tow.
Then, in 2022, it was the surprise visit to Pearl Harbor.

Yes, that was the visit with the fashion photographer in tow.
Then, in 2022, it was the surprise visit to Pearl Harbor.

I think the visit to the cemetery was a bit of a clap back to the BRF for not allowing Harry to have his wreath laid at service. I like the Sussexes but I thought that was a bit too much IMO. I think visiting the bases and meeting military members and their families is their niche and they genuinely seem happy to be meeting the Sussexes.

I think the visit to the cemetery was a bit of a clap back to the BRF for not allowing Harry to have his wreath laid at service. I like the Sussexes but I thought that was a bit too much IMO. I think visiting the bases and meeting military members and their families is their niche and they genuinely seem happy to be meeting the Sussexes.
I agree that choosing to visit the bases and meeting the families is a better choice than going to the cemeteries or the U.S.S. Arizona memorial. Partly because in the United States, November 11 is not our day to remember those died serving their country. It is the day to honor all living veterans. So meeting with active service members who are the future veterans makes more sense to me.

I agree that choosing to visit the bases and meeting the families is a better choice than going to the cemeteries or the U.S.S. Arizona memorial. Partly because in the United States, November 11 is not our day to remember those died serving their country. It is the day to honor all living veterans. So meeting with active service members who are the future veterans makes more sense to me.
Thank you for that information, could I ask if you wear poppies at this time.

Thank you for that information, could I ask if you wear poppies at this time.

No, no one wears poppies; Americans who spot a poppy (like on Canadian NHL coaches) say "what are those red circles...?" and the actual Memorial Day at the end of May is usually spent doing something fun or going to the beach, and is considered "the start of summer", not "Remembrance Day".

Very different ethos. Also please remember that "In Flanders Fields" was written by a Commonwealth poet and the US only joined the war in 1917.

Last edited:

Yes it was & it annoyed a lot of people in Britain. I suspect that's why it was never repeated. Visiting US military sites is fine if that's what service personnel are happy with it even though it doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me.

There is always the outside possibility that the US military might be involved in a conflict that British people don't support & that's when any sort of link with Harry might become somewhat controversial.

And as others have said Remembrance Day is primarily about the dead & is centred on a tomb. It is about a bitter loss. Veterans are of course important but they are not the focus here.

At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67122719

The Duke of Sussex can go ahead with claims against Associated Newspapers of unlawfully obtaining information, as a court ruling opens the way for a trial.
The Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday publishers wanted to stop the case, arguing claims of getting "information by deception" were out of time.
But a judge has decided the case, involving Prince Harry and six other high-profile claimants, can proceed.

No, no one wears poppies; Americans who spot a poppy (like on Canadian NHL coaches) say "what are those red circles...?" and the actual Memorial Day at the end of May is usually spent doing something fun or going to the beach, and is considered "the start of summer", not "Remembrance Day".

Very different ethos. Also please remember that "In Flanders Fields" was written by a Commonwealth poet and the US only joined the war in 1917.

Well, to be fair, Memorial Day was supposed to be a Remembrance Day and Veterans Day , which honors living veterans , coincides with the Armistice Day ( now Remembrance Day in the UK).

But, as you said, Memorial Day now ended up being just another holiday which coincidentally marks the unofficial beginning of the summer season. Veterans Day ( i,e., Armistice Day), on the other hand, is relatively ignored, which goes back to my point that Harry and Meghan are staging those events around November “11 for the British media mostly.

Last edited:
Veterans Day ( i,e., Armistice Day) is relatively new ignored, which goes back to my point they Harry and Meghan are staging those events around November “11 for the British media mostly.

Well yes indeed they do & it does comes across as cynical as a result but as time passes more & more people just don't have the energy to care anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom