The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 10: August 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is close to the Spencer’s , they might find him a bed for the night.
They almost certainly would. However the original suggestion upthread was that Harry would be allowed to fly to a Norfolk airforce base, transported by car to Sandringham, then be allowed to stay at the Sandringham estate without the obligatory 28 days notice, and finally be invited to join in the royal convoy travelling to the funeral with William. That was what I was querying in my post.

To leave so shortly before this trip -which must be an important milestone for the organisation- seems rather odd, and perhaps signals an escalation of some sort. It doesn't seem the most logical moment for such a prompt decision.
Similar to when Dominic Reid announced he was quitting as CEO of the Invictus Games. He said he was leaving at the 10 year mark because he'd accomplished what he set out to do, and that explanation makes sense to me. The timing just seemed odd, since it was mere days after the ESPY award (and attendant controversy) and months before Invictus is due to host its first ever winter games. But I suppose when you're ready to leave a job, you just want to get on with it, regardless of timing.

Earlier this year- Harry came to the UK to visit Charles. He could do that, but he can’t go to his uncle’s funeral due to security? What am I missing?
Harry's decisions about when it's too dangerous to come to the UK and when it's not seem so arbitrary. He also didn't seem to have security concerns when he came for the Invictus 10th Anniversary service.

Harry was unable to stay at Windsor as he gave late notice and it isn’t a lived in castle. They would have to open it up for him. Get staff. Sandringham on the other hand is now used weekly. Harry just makes these things up.

Had Harry been allowed to still stay at Frogmore Cottage in Sept 2023 he wouldn’t have needed to ask about a room at Windsor Castle.
And
When is Sandringham used weekly by the RF throughout the year, all year round?

Had Harry been allowed to still stay at Frogmore Cottage in Sept 2023 he wouldn’t have needed to ask about a room at Windsor Castle.
And
Maybe we should be asking why the family it would appear do not want him to be too close. I have my thoughts and if I was them I would feel the same.
There are times in our lives where we have to feel the consequences of our words and deeds.
The family say nothing, they have moved on it is Harry who is tied up with law suits and court cases, with sources revealing his thoughts and feelings. Considering he took the freedom flight he does not appear to be free, he is hanging on to the past.

From what I can see the original story came via People magazine and all the others followed suit, all the articles are more or less the same.
Could it be this People article? Prince Harry to Miss Funeral of His Uncle Robert Fellowes amid Security Concerns in the U.K.

Now, I generally trust People Magazine, but even in this article it says "PEOPLE understands", not even the typical "a source close to the Sussexes informed us..." It doesn't even explain how they came to understand it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sussexes (or at least Meghan and the children, as Harry has never been worried about his own safety) didn't go to The Lord Fellowes' funeral due to security, avoidance of family awkwardness, or other commitments that they just can't get out of.

But the Sussexes like to announce important news like this personally. Just this year alone, Harry or his spokesperson announced that he visited his father after the latter's cancer diagnosis, he wouldn't attend the Duke of Westminster's wedding and that he wouldn't be able to meeting his father during the Invictus anniversary. I can't imagine he wouldn't personally announce that he wouldn't attend his uncle's funeral.

Therefore, until we get an announcement one way or another or he literally appears at the funeral, I'll take this news with a grain of salt.

Could it be this People article? Prince Harry to Miss Funeral of His Uncle Robert Fellowes amid Security Concerns in the U.K.

Now, I generally trust People Magazine, but even in this article it says "PEOPLE understands", not even the typical "a source close to the Sussexes informed us..." It doesn't even explain how they came to understand it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sussexes (or at least Meghan and the children, as Harry has never been worried about his own safety) didn't go to The Lord Fellowes' funeral due to security, avoidance of family awkwardness, or other commitments that they just can't get out of.

But the Sussexes like to announce important news like this personally. Just this year alone, Harry or his spokesperson announced that he visited his father after the latter's cancer diagnosis, he wouldn't attend the Duke of Westminster's wedding and that he wouldn't be able to meeting his father during the Invictus anniversary. I can't imagine he wouldn't personally announce that he wouldn't attend his uncle's funeral.

Therefore, until we get an announcement one way or another or he literally appears at the funeral, I'll take this news with a grain of salt.
These are fair points, all I will say that in certain quarters People is viewed as being close to the couple, as a result anything they print is inclined to be believed to have came from them. That is possibly unfair but life isn’t .

of salt.
I agree and don´t think it is sensible to drag young children to another continent for a funeral they will probably not attend and for a greatuncle-in-law they probably have never met. In this case it makes more sense for the Duke to go on his own, if he manages to get out of his other engagements. But the distance is of course long. It simply is the reality of living on another continent as your family does, as I know from my own experience.

I imagine the Duke and his brother are mature enough to set aside akwardness during a funeral, out of respect for the deceased. They did so before.

Last edited:
And

At the moment Charles appears to be living there. May only be while treatment continues but he has pretty much been spending a couple of nights a week there since becoming King.

Frogmore isn’t,his home anymore so…to spend a couple of nights a year in a place isn’t a good enough reason to keep a base. Just give notice. And in the case of an emergency I’m sure they would accomadate. Harry could have stayed with his father that time but father was in Scotland. They just won’t open up a place for him. They offered him St James and he said no. He may want to meet in the middle.

I hardly think anyone's likely to attack Harry at a funeral, nor to come bursting through the door of a room at a top level hotel. It's a shame that he cannot show enough respect for his late uncle and widowed aunt to attend to the funeral.

As for "what's happening in the UK at the moment", have a look at the headlines on the BBC website. The rate of inflation has risen slightly, the Government is holding talks with train drivers and some chemicals have been spilt in a canal in the Midlands. I'm not sure why any of these things would affect Harry?

Last edited:
And
Harry no longer has a lease on Frogmore Cottage. He has probably removed his furniture and fittings from there by now, so FC is just not an option for him.

As regards accommodating Harry at Windsor, you always run the risk that he will be recording bits of his stay there for use in future documentaries. If I was Charles, given the current state of relations, I would limit Harry's time on royal estates to limited, fully supervised visits only.

Sandringham is used by Charles and Camilla quite regularly now. I don't know if they stay at the big house or one of the many properties on the estate on an ongoing basis. Charles has been closely involved in quite a lot of developments on the estate: from establishing a rare-breed cattle farm, to the development of the maze and gardens and reducing the scale of the stud. They are often pictured worshipping at local churches. Charles has also received overseas dignitaries there.

More details on their "tour" of Colombia...
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to visit a town in Colombia founded by runaway slaves that has become a symbol of anti-colonial resistance.

According to reports in the South American media, the couple will be given a tour of San Basilio de Palenque during their trip to the country this week.
https://archive.ph/o/4XvzD/https://...amily/2024/08/12/the-sussexes-diy-royal-tour/
The small town has a population of around 3,500 inhabitants and is an hour’s drive south-east of the Caribbean coast city of Cartagena.

It was one of the secret walled communities known as palenques founded by escaped slaves as a refuge in the 17th century and has now become symbolic of Afro-Colombian heritage.

In 2008 the town was given Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity status by Unesco, celebrated for its unique culture, influenced by residents’ African heritage...
They will also visit a music festival
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are also reported to be visiting the Petronio Alvarez Festival in Cali, a celebration of Afro-Colombian music and culture in Latin America.

Ana Copete, the director of last year’s festival, said at the time: “What this festival has done in the past 27 years is to tell Colombia and the world that we are a multi-ethnic and multicultural country.”

There will be a lot of interest in this visit so I hope it all goes well for everyone involved. It will be interesting to see how it is reported in the various newspapers.

If I were Harry I wouldn’t bother calling the royals anymore. I would certainly shut up about security. He would be much better off waiting to see what if anything his father extends towards him in the way of love and support. If our Monarch remains aloof then so be it. Harry has a loving family of his own now. If RAVEC’s decision is overturned on appeal that would be superb for the whole family. If not then the UK will look a bit silly as Harry continues to travel to countries which do provide the security at is needed.

It will probably be reported in glowing terms as they are controlling the media outlets that have access and only "approved" journalists are part of it.

I imagine after it is over the wider media will report on it as well.

I don't think the UK looks silly at all - it has a robust process in place for deciding who needs protection and to what level that makes it 100% independent of the principals themselves. It would look more silly giving Harry protection just because he asks for it rather than because the risk assessment suggests he needs it.

I’m more interested in what the UK papers will say. Harry and Meghan stated in 2020 that they had ended their relationship with the UK tabloids. They have been screaming ever since at the rejection. 😂

As regards accommodating Harry at Windsor, you always run the risk that he will be recording bits of his stay there for use in future documentaries. If I was Charles, given the current state of relations, I would limit Harry's time on royal estates to limited, fully supervised visits only.

Come to think of it, the way things have been over the past couple of years, i think Harry is a bigger threat to the privacy of his family in the UK than the UK media is..
i wonder if he ever thinks about that..

If I were Harry I wouldn’t bother calling the royals anymore. I would certainly shut up about security. He would be much better off waiting to see what if anything his father extends towards him in the way of love and support. If our Monarch remains aloof then so be it. Harry has a loving family of his own now. If RAVEC’s decision is overturned on appeal that would be superb for the whole family. If not then the UK will look a bit silly as Harry continues to travel to countries which do provide the security at is
What is Harry extending to his father and the rest of the family other than stress.
How do you know what has been offered or not or rejected or not from either party.
It is interesting that you would like the UK government to pay for Harry to travel the world to earn money, Yes his hosts are paying at the moment , why should we . I can assure you it does not make us look silly, why should we pay for a whinge.
[.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were Harry I wouldn’t bother calling the royals anymore. I would certainly shut up about security. He would be much better off waiting to see what if anything his father extends towards him in the way of love and support. If our Monarch remains aloof then so be it. Harry has a loving family of his own now. If RAVEC’s decision is overturned on appeal that would be superb for the whole family. If not then the UK will look a bit silly as Harry continues to travel to countries which do provide the security at is needed.
I think this is the crutch of the issue. Harry, in my opinion, seems to be craving any acknowledgement that he's more than just the 5th in line to the throne in his family, but that will never happen, imho (until, of course, he starts falling down the line of succession, then it will happen more).

Once he realizes that his family won't value him the way he wants them to, won't value his wife and children the way he does and stops trying to attain it through security suits, he'll finally be able to release that burden and live a happier life.

I think this is the crutch of the issue. Harry, in my opinion, seems to be craving any acknowledgement that he's more than just the 5th in line to the throne in his family, but that will never happen, imho (until, of course, he starts falling down the line of succession, then it will happen more).

Once he realizes that his family won't value him the way he wants them to, won't value his wife and children the way he does and stops trying to attain it through security suits, he'll finally be able to release that burden and live a happier life.
What does he want?
They had a role within the family.
A home within Windsor, I am sure a large country home would have been on the cards at some point.
He would have been part of the inner circle.
He left . Sold his story. Now it looks like he wants back.

What does he want?
They had a role within the family.
A home within Windsor, I am sure a large country home would have been on the cards at some point.
He would have been part of the inner circle.
He left . Sold his story. Now it looks like he wants back.
I am adding to my own post, he could have played a very significant role within the monarchy without the stress and restrictions of monarch .

Yes, I think this is true. I am not sure what the level of risk in the UK is for the Prince and his family but I suspect it is very high. I think for him security is linked to status and not just about safety. I hope he wins his appeal though as I don’t like him being singled out for a bespoke package deal which is what RAVEC did. Courts do get it wrong but if he loses the appeal hopefully that will be the end of the matter.

I am not sure what the level of risk in the UK is for the Prince and his family but I suspect it is very high. I think for him security is linked to status and not just about safety.
I don't know either, but I don't see that it would be particularly high. Very good point about security being linked to status - that's far more like it.

[.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom