The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 10: August 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't care less if Harry and Meghan never set foot in the UK again, but it seems a shame for Archie and Lilibet to miss out on learning about their heritage. It may also affect other family members: it's being widely reported that Harry does not intend to come to the funeral of Robert Fellowes, which seems rather disrespectful towards the Fellowes family.
That may change when the Sussex children are older. They may decide to attend university in the UK, for example.

I've always thought Harry's comments on security are a bit odd and, frankly, dangerous. Constantly repeating that he doesn't have good security only encourages the would-be crazies to focus on him and his family.

His comments to ITV recently made me gasp: "It's still dangerous, and all it takes is one lone actor, one person who reads this stuff to act on what they have read...And whether it's a knife or acid, whatever it is, and these are things that are of genuine concern for me. It's one of the reasons why I won’t bring my wife back to this country."

He literally offers ideas for would-be attackers!

If he's reminded of the problems his mother had, he might want to remember that she died in another country, not the UK, while sitting inches away from a professional bodyguard.

Meghan and Harry might well be ‘used as a political distraction’ by politicians. That is probably the same for every royal tour as well. Sophie Edinburgh after all visited the country only last autumn. That was 2023.
Moreover, this Sussex tour is a four day visit, not a four week one, so it will be unlikely to change anyone’s mind on the Colombian Govt.
And that Govt will provide 24/7 protection to the couple, just as it did for the Duchess of Edinburgh, and in 2014 for the then Prince of Wales and Camilla when they visited the country. If it was considered that risky or tremendously flattering to a corrupt govt then the 2023 visit would not have been allowed to go ahead by the FO.

Well said!

Colombia is a very popular tourist destination. Close friends of mine had a blast in Cali and Cartagena. Jamaica is also frequently listed and I have visited 2x already this year and felt very safe.
[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always thought Harry's comments on security are a bit odd and, frankly, dangerous. Constantly repeating that he doesn't have good security only encourages the would-be crazies to focus on him and his family.

His comments to ITV recently made me gasp: "It's still dangerous, and all it takes is one lone actor, one person who reads this stuff to act on what they have read...And whether it's a knife or acid, whatever it is, and these are things that are of genuine concern for me. It's one of the reasons why I won’t bring my wife back to this country."

He literally offers ideas for would-be attackers!

If he's reminded of the problems his mother had, he might want to remember that she died in another country, not the UK, while sitting inches away from a professional bodyguard.
Very well said. PH ought to be ashamed of himself, ditto ITV for allowing him to say it to an audience (I never watch ITV - the only decent show they ever made was Poirot and I bought the box set on DVD so I don't add to their viewing figures - worth the expense and no adverts!)

But seriously, whilst PH has been allowed and is allowed to continue in this vein, he is potentially putting not only himself and his family at risk, but also putting other people in danger too.

A number of posts have been edited or deleted as they were speculative, political, or provocative, as well as responses to those posts.

Let's stick to discussion about the most recent news.

Hey, I trust the RAVEC's assessment on how much security the Sussexes need or don't need, and in spite of the threats I believe the Sussexes will be perfectly safe in Great Britain. But what I think doesn't matter...it's what Harry thinks. And if he thinks that the RAVEC's assessment is not enough and has decided not to bring his family back to Great Britain, then so be it. He'll exhaust all possibilities in his security suits soon enough...how much have these lawsuits cost each individual Briton?

Apparently, Jamaica, Nigeria, and Colombia have provided the Duke with enough of his preferred security that he and/or the Duchess feel comfortable going there (or, at least, feel as though the rewards for going outweigh the risks, unlike the UK). Of note, as far as I know, the children have remained in the United States, so there is where the Sussex couple feel their children are safest.
Well hopefully it will not cost us very much because he might have to pay costs.

It seems some people seem to think that Harry and his family will not get any protection in the UK. This is of course not the case. For each visit, an assessment will be made of the level (and type) of threat and therefore of the security arrangements that he will need. Anything above what is needed will be on him. What he is asking for is maximum protection independent of the risk; that's what has been refused.
Yes, that is correct. The UK authorities have said that, if they knew of a credible threat to Harris and/or his family while in the UK, they would get appropriate security.

Harry and Meghan have been invited to visit Colombia by that country’s Vice President for the genuine reasons she has already expressed.
Statement from Vice President of Colombia, Francia Márquez
August 1, 2024

"As the Vice President of Colombia and Minister of Equality and Equity, I am pleased to announce that Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have kindly accepted my invitation to visit our beautiful country.

"During their trip, The Duke and Duchess will join me in visiting Bogotá, as well as the Caribbean and Pacific regions of Cartagena and Cali. In these vibrant locations, they will have the exceptional opportunity to engage with leaders, youth, and women who embody the aspirations and voices of Colombians committed to progress. In addition to these meaningful interactions, The Duke and Duchess will experience the rich heritage of Colombia.

"Their visit comes at a particularly significant time, as it precedes the first Global Ministerial Conference on Ending Violence Against Children, to be held in Colombia this November. The Archewell Foundation, founded by The Duke and Duchess, is renowned for its global leadership in fostering a safer online environment. The forthcoming conference will unveil a comprehensive framework for creating safer physical and digital spaces, tackling issues such as cyberbullying, online exploitation, and the mental health impacts of these threats. It will offer actionable solutions and commitments for countries around the world.

"During their visit, The Duke and Duchess, as well as The Archewell Foundation, will engage in several activities related to this important topic. We are confident that their visit will further illuminate Colombia's role as a beacon of culture and innovation."
End of Statement.

As the extent of danger to the Duchess of Edinburgh in visiting Columbia was examined by the British authorities and found acceptable less than ten months ago the argument that the country is now in such a state that it is far too perilous to visit does not appear to me to hold water, considering that the Sussex couple will have security 24/7 just as Sophie had. Harry (as King Charles’s son) will have all the security needed and he and his wife (King Charles’s daughter in law) will visit several interesting places and meet the people, and imho will return unscathed without a doubt.
The main risk is that a pattern may be emerging in which certain governments, especially in developing nations like Nigeria and Colombia, might use Harry and Meghan as tools to advance those governments' own political agendas. If the Sussexes were still working members of the BRF, any invitation that they might receive to visit a particular country would be vetted first by the Foreign Office, which would also keep a strict control on what they would do and say during the visit. However, now that they are free agents with no support from a diplomatic service and intelligence services, they are much more vulnerable to being taken advantage of, possibly by controversial governments.

Last edited:
The main risk is that a pattern may be emerging in which certain governments, especially in developing nations like Nigeria and Colombia, might use Harry and Meghan as tools to advance those governments' own political agendas. If the Sussexes were still working members of the BRF, any invitation that they might receive to visit a particular country would be vetted first by the Foreign Office, which would also keep a strict control on what they would do and say during the visit. However, now that they are free agents with no support from a diplomatic service and intelligence services, they are much more vulnerable to being taken advantage of, possibly by controversial governments.
What I have noticed in a great deal of these posts are that people are showing concern for Harry and Meghan. Will they be safe, will they compromise themselves.
The comments are not being made as a let’s have a go at them.
I know some on here will think that is what is happening and put up a defence for them, and fair enough, but I do believe that there is real concern with regards their actions.

This makes me very sad. Harry will not be attending his uncle's funeral - due to 'security concerns'

After seeing what is happening in the UK at the moment; I don't actually blame him

What I have noticed in a great deal of these posts are that people are showing concern for Harry and Meghan. Will they be safe, will they compromise themselves.
I know some on here will think that is what is happening and put up a defence for them, and fair enough, but I do believe that there is real concern with regards their actions.
I agree.

I'm sure they'll return to Montecito physically unscathed, but their reputation will most likely take another hit. I wonder if they are still being advised by WME, does anyone know?

I'm not sure the two very separate things can be linked.

Also - the funeral date and location is unknown (other than that is will be in Norfolk where the Fellows family live) - Harry could fly in to RAF Marham or Norwich airport and stay on the Sandringham estate then travel in the same convoy as William to and from the funeral.
If he wanted to attend it would be possible with minimal security issues.

How do we (or Harry) know that he would be allowed to stay on the Sandringham estate, given that he must give at least 28 days notice to stay on royal properties? He was after all refused any rooms at BP, St James etc when he was in London on one occasion when he was over for WellChild and Charles was at Balmoral. He stayed in a hotel instead. Has it been over 28 days since Robert Fellowes died? I don’t think so.

And how do we know that Harry would be allowed by Charles or William to join any royal convoy to his uncle’s funeral?

Also - the funeral date and location is unknown (other than that is will be in Norfolk where the Fellows family live) - Harry could fly in to RAF Marham or Norwich airport and stay on the Sandringham estate then travel in the same convoy as William to and from the funeral.
Well said!

How do we (or Harry) know that he would be allowed to stay on the Sandringham estate, given that he must give at least 28 days notice to stay on royal properties? He was after all refused any rooms at BP, St James etc when he was in London on one occasion when he was over for WellChild and Charles was at Balmoral. He stayed in a hotel instead. Has it been over 28 days since Robert Fellowes died? I don’t think so.

And how do we know that Harry would be allowed by Charles or William to join any royal convoy to his uncle’s funeral?
Just like you are asking if we know Harry would be allowed to join the convoy How do you know he was refused rooms at St James Palace. ?

Obviously the death of a family member would be taken into account due to the unexpected nature of such things. Since he’d be with other family, or more likely with his Spencer cousins, his security would be assured.

Just like you are asking if we know Harry would be allowed to join the convoy How do you know he was refused rooms at St James Palace. ?

Because that wouldn't suit PH's agenda. It always has to be someone else's fault. :rolleyes:

What is happening in the uk?

Currently - absolutely nothing. :)

P.S. And it's still safer than Colombia - for everyone and especially for people with protection!

Obviously the death of a family member would be taken into account due to the unexpected nature of such things. Since he’d be with other family, or more likely with his Spencer cousins, his security would be assured.
Exactly.

This makes me very sad. Harry will not be attending his uncle's funeral - due to 'security concerns'

I’m confused about this article. Was there an official announcement from the Duke of Sussex saying that he wouldn’t go to his uncle’s funeral? How do they know this information? That security issues were the problem weren’t in quotes, nor was family strife…is the article just speculating? If Robert Fellowes’ funeral doesn’t have a date or time, how would the media even know who is or isn’t coming?

It's his uncle's funeral. The poor man could hardly have given 28 day's notice that he was going to sadly pass away - may he rest in peace 🙏

Allowances would be made. Accommodation would be sorted and offered to PH for such an occasion. Obviously.

Good night everyone! :flowers:

Last edited:
Sorry but is all sources say and is understood. Who are the sources?
More information about this WellChild trip from Tatler. I remember it well as at the time royal correspondents from British media including the tabloids (none of them normally sympathetic at all to the Sussexes) were discussing it on TV on various shows, and many were a bit taken aback. as Windsor Castle has so many rooms. However most of the royal staff had travelled up to Balmoral and so Harry could not be accommodated.

More information about this WellChild trip from Tatler. I remember it well as at the time royal correspondents from British media including the tabloids (none of them normally sympathetic at all to the Sussexes) were discussing it on TV on various shows, and many were a bit taken aback. as Windsor Castle has so many rooms. However most of the royal staff had travelled up to Balmoral and so Harry could not be accommodated.

We are rehashing old news here but is this the same occasion, there have been so many, that he refused a royal residence because there was no security and it opened on to the street so he went to a hotel instead.
Royal residence and no security , !!!
If he wants to go to his uncles funeral, there is nothing stopping him except himself. The date has not been made public, so he could fly in, stay at a hotel and travel with the Spencer family. Then do it all in reverse, nobody would even know he was here.His choice his decision, he needs to live with his choices.

I’m confused about this article. Was there an official announcement from the Duke of Sussex saying that he wouldn’t go to his uncle’s funeral? How do they know this information? That security issues were the problem weren’t in quotes, nor was family strife…is the article just speculating? If Robert Fellowes’ funeral doesn’t have a date or time, how would the media even know who is or isn’t coming?
From what I can see the original story came via People magazine and all the others followed suit, all the articles are more or less the same.

Considering that the Prince of Wales will most likely be at the funeral, it is reasonable to assume that there will be a high level of security at the event itself.

Unfortunately Harry has based his legal case against the Home Office on the premise that he and his family cannot be safe in the UK without 24/7 police protection. Accordingly he can’t even go to his uncle’s funeral without risking to contradict his own argument.

Back
Top Bottom