The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 10: August 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I think this is true. I am not sure what the level of risk in the UK is for the Prince and his family but I suspect it is very high. I think for him security is linked to status and not just about safety. I hope he wins his appeal though as I don’t like him being singled out for a bespoke package deal which is what RAVEC did. Courts do get it wrong but if he loses the appeal hopefully that will be the end of the matter.

All he will win in the court is the right to send it back to RAVEC. Who would in all probability send it back saying the same thing. Thing is they aren't wrong. There is no need for him to be an IPP. It would essentially mean that the American tax payer paid for his security amd the British. What other countries want to do when he visits is their business.

Several posts that rehashed old news or speculated about the state of the relationship between the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been deleted. Everyone should be familiar with thread rules by now, and to keep the thread open, you must follow them.

Please focus on news and current events in this thread as the rules require.

Last edited:
More than a dozen posts comparing the Duke of Sussex to others in the family or speculating about personal feelings have been deleted, immediately after a mod note reminding all posters to adhere to the thread rules.

This thread is for current events of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. The only way to keep the thread open is to follow thread rules.

Move on from previous discussion.

Last edited:
Today's photos:

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are visiting Colombia.

‘Ms Marquez took Harry and Meghan to visit city centre public school Centro Nacional Cultura Popular.

Harry and Meghan chatted with a group of around 20 students aged between 12 and 18. The kids spoke about what they like and what worries them about technological change.

Headmaster Leonel Umaña, 51, said the visit had focussed on an anti-cyber bullying project.

Although there was a translator at hand, Meghan showed off her good command of Spanish, Mr Umaña said.

He added: 'She speaks Spanish well. We had to explain a few of our typical Colombian slang words that our students use and that caused a few laughs and jokes.

'At first we were told that there were to be no mobile phones or pictures due to protocol.

'But when we finished the session and toured the school with them they broke the protocol and posed for pictures with the kids.‘

I love seeing the pictures of the Sussexes with the students. Harry and Meghan are at their best when they're interacting with young people.

They later went to see a performance at the National Centre for the Arts by, I believe, the Pies del Sol dance group. What a beautiful name for a group with gorgeous costumes. I'm glad that part of Colombian culture is being showcased to other parts of the world this way.

Links about the trip so far from Sussex.com

If I were Harry I wouldn’t bother calling the royals anymore. I would certainly shut up about security. He would be much better off waiting to see what if anything his father extends towards him in the way of love and support. If our Monarch remains aloof then so be it. Harry has a loving family of his own now. If RAVEC’s decision is overturned on appeal that would be superb for the whole family. If not then the UK will look a bit silly as Harry continues to travel to countries which do provide the security at is needed.
The UK will provide security 'as needed'. Harry though wants a higher level of security all the time. He doesn't seem to understand that he is a younger son and can't expect a higher level of security than Edward or Anne - both working royals who only have security when undertaking official duties. Andrew now has no security paid for by taxpayers but given how appalling that level of security was - allowing people to actually enter Royal Lodge, not just the grounds but the house itself - I don't think much of so-called security for the minor royals.

[…]

Personally, I think there's a sizeable degree of quid pro quo-ing going on with this trip and both Colombia and H&M are hoping it will improve their problematic reputations.

Whether the trip will ultimately bear healthy fruit for either party remains to be seen.

They won’t be, most Foreign Ministries only advise against travel to certain parts of Colombia. So they say its safe to go to certain parts but not travel beyond them. In itself that means most people would avoid unless they are happy to go and stay in resort with possibility the security situation will deteriorate further.

Seems odd choice to ask H&M to visit if you want good publicity, there are many safer pairs of hands you could ask.

Personally, I think there's a sizeable degree of quid pro quo-ing going on with this trip and both Colombia and H&M are hoping it will improve their problematic reputations.

Whether the trip will ultimately bear healthy fruit for either party remains to be seen.
Let’s see. I still don’t see why they do these things. It’s a royal tour but let’s be honest without the real royals or the zip wire organisation that goes into it. They are being used and they are using. But whether either party get what they want I don’t know. I don’t think Harry and Meghan have the skills to be honest. They aren’t diplomats in any way shape of form.

Interesting info for the debate about where Harry stayed during his visit for the Invictus Thanksgiving service.

That report is old news. Why Harry couldn’t have straightforwardly been invited to stay with his father and stepmother anyway, at Clarence House, Charles’s home, instead of all the supposed hole in corner stuff of invites to stay at St James Palace, BP etc, God only knows. If father wanted to see his son why didn’t he just do that?

It would have been not only straight forward but a sincere gesture towards reconciliation. And the Palace are still saying even now that Harry didn’t schedule an appointment with his father in time (though Harry says he did) so it’s all moot anyway.

Last edited:
That report is old news. Why Harry couldn’t have straightforwardly been invited to stay with his father and stepmother anyway, at Clarence House, Charles’s home, instead of all the supposed hole in corner stuff of invites to stay at St James Palace, BP etc, God only knows. If father wanted to see his son why didn’t he do that?

It would have been not only straight forward but a sincere gesture towards reconciliation. And the Palace are still saying even now that Harry didn’t schedule an appointment with his father in time (though Harry says he did) so it’s all moot anyway.
The article is from today ( same info is in a larger article from today in the times).

It is what it was offered. When asking for a favour it’s not the done thing to cherry pick.

Charles inviting his son to stay at Clarence House, his home and his son’s old home, would not have been cherry picking.

We have no idea. He may have refused to stay there while the stepmother is there. Also the only one he seems to have wanted to stay in was Windsor which was refused because of being closed and not enough notice. Has he ever asked to stay at Clarence House? If so and refused then is Charles and Camilla saying no.

We have no idea. He may have refused to stay there while the stepmother is there. Also the only one he seems to have wanted to stay in was Windsor which was refused because of being closed and not enough notice. Has he ever asked to stay at Clarence House? If so and refused then is Charles and Camilla saying no.
I agree. He's on the record about how he feels about the Queen, so maybe Clarence House is not a place he feels comfortable staying at and everyone understands that. I'm sorry that Buckingham Palace didn't meet Harry's expectations, because it seems like a good compromise.

I agree. He's on the record about how he feels about the Queen, so maybe Clarence House is not a place he feels comfortable staying at and everyone understands that. I'm sorry that Buckingham Palace didn't meet Harry's expectations, because it seems like a good compromise.

They aren’t flashy, especially BH accommodation. Quite military apparently. May not have met his standards. St James isn’t okay to him because it opens on the street? Which it does but I never from walking around there felt any danger. Anne and Edward have rooms there and Beatrice lives there full time. As such while it has protection it wouldn’t be extensive. Kensington where he used to live is in the middle of a public and busy park and I don’t think they do temporary accommodation. Likewise wouldn’t have over and above security with William and Kate not living there anymore.

The Prince may not be ‘of’ the people but he is certainly ‘for’ the people. I respect his choice to continue the humanitarian work of his mother and to advance newer work in the digital age to combat misinformation and online bullying. Both he and his wife are shining a spotlight in this area and that is commendable.

A worthy contribution to the efforts to make the online world safer for all.

“To close the summit, the couple were delighted to reconnect with Nobel Peace Prize winner Maria Ressa, whom they had previously interviewed for Time magazine a few years ago. Together, along with Vice President Francia Márquez, they participated in a panel discussion that focused on actionable pathways for achieving a more responsible and inclusive digital future. The conversation underscored the urgency in prioritizing humanity and connection over an increasingly unsafe digital landscape. “With the Archewell Foundation, me and my wife believe that information integrity is a fundamental right,” The Duke of Sussex shared during the discussion. “

Charles inviting his son to stay at Clarence House, his home and his son’s old home, would not have been cherry picking.
Why would Charles have to invite him to stay at Clarence House when St James Palace or Buckingham Palace were available and, according to reports, were offered to Harry? It is odd that Harry complains about lack of security while in the UK, but turns down an offer to stay at a royal palace where he would be fully protected.

Why? Because most parents who might wish to catch up with their adult son in a conversation or two would invite them to stay at their actual home, not to nearby accommodation. Harry is more used to CH than he would be to an empty and echoing half-renovated BP or to St James. He lived there at one time.

Back
Top Bottom