The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 10: August 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following a comment I’ve read on an article about the Sussexes, I checked four colombian newspapers: El Tiempo, El Espectador, Nuevo Siglo and El Diario de Bogota. None has any piece about this visit! One of them has an article about the VP but nothing about the Sussexes.
I have found 6 articles on the El Tiempo newspaper, 7 on El Espectador, 2 on EL Nuevo Siglo, 1 on the City Paper Bogota.
Colomban media does cover the visit

I have found 6 articles on the El Tiempo newspaper, 7 on El Espectador, 2 on EL Nuevo Siglo, 1 on the City Paper Bogota.
Colomban media does cover the visit
Could you link? I browsed again el tiempo up to some article about the benefices of some fruit and didn’t find anything (I don’t understand Spanish)

There's nothing about it on the news headlines sites of the BBC, ITV or Sky. It's hardly big news. However, if you Google "Harry and Meghan Colombia", some articles and pictures come up, for anyone who's interested. There's an interesting article in the Telegraph about how Colombia is a rising tourist destination, with violence and drug production decreasing.

Could you link? I browsed again el tiempo up to some article about the benefices of some fruit and didn’t find anything (I don’t understand Spanish)
I am not sure if the links to the newspapers are considered reliable and under the forum rules so I have not posted them directy. But by accessing the websites and typing in the search bar the words Harry, Meghan or Sussex will generate the list of articles

I haven't seen anything about it in the states.

I’m not seeing anything about it either. I’m sure someone in the US is covering it lol, but it isn’t hitting my main news feed or pop up articles on my phone. In my scan- I did see an article about the family feud though.

If I wasn’t here- I don’t think I’d know about this trip.

In terms of more celebrity related news I’d say the number one thing I see are articles related to Matthew Perry’s death and the recent arrests. That coverage is everywhere. The Harry and Meghan of several years ago I think would have driven that kind of coverage of this trip.

There's nothing about it on the news headlines sites of the BBC, ITV or Sky. It's hardly big news. However, if you Google "Harry and Meghan Colombia", some articles and pictures come up, for anyone who's interested. There's an interesting article in the Telegraph about how Colombia is a rising tourist destination, with violence and drug production decreasing.
There was coverage of the visit on the BBC News website.

Prince Harry and Meghan to begin Colombia visit

There was coverage of the visit on the BBC News website.

Prince Harry and Meghan to begin Colombia visit
But not on the headlines page. That's for important news. As far as "celeb" news goes, the big stories are about Matthew Perry, the Taylor Swift concert at Wembley, and a couple who met on Love Island splitting up. But each to their own. If people want to search for pictures of the Sussexes, there are plenty available. There are pictures of all sorts of celebs, if you want to see them. For some bizarre reason, there was a picture of Nicola Peltz Beckham kissing her dog in my paper this morning!

By imposing an embargo on msm and charging so much the photos they shoot themselves in the foot, in my opinion. They do have some coverage but nowhere to the lecel they aim to, I think.

And the humanitarian/activist scope of the visit is unclear. There are so many things - AI, bullying, invictus, female empowering, it’s a smogarsbord.

Last edited:
I believe the news coverage of the Columbia trip makes since for two well-known but private individuals on an international visit, especially one that doesn't involve indirect murder or a foiled terrorist plot like the Matthew Perry or Taylor Swift stories.

We have now established that some print media are covering the Columbia trip for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. It's time to move on from that and return to discussion of the actual trip. Further comments along those lines will be deleted.

There doesn't seem to be many crowds? I guess a security risk? I also guess its invited guests only. Between that and only invited media it all feels a bit closed door.

We get a lot of links from UK or USA news media, but how about actual local Colombian or South American Newspapers for a change to see how they view the visit? Plus, we have at RF newspaper Emojis 🗞️ 📰 sitting for an opportunity to be seen, too :)

The newspapers emphasize the purpose of the visit is to start establishing a connection between local projects in Colombia and use Archwell to be a bridge and make these projects be known in the USA and other countries.

So, it's for mutual benefit but also the start of collaborations that will be in development, I assume, from 2025 on. Organizing these projects is not an overnight task, especially if a government is involved because it requires transparency on both sides.

My hope is, first that nothing bad happens considering their Vice Presidenta hostess has lots of enemies, and that M and H listen to advice for once! And by that, I mean before they write a check to make sure there's a plan to see how those dollars are used in a country with such political instability. I'm pointing out the obvious, if the government collapses whoever takes over also takes over the access to any Archwell funded project. Am I crazy for seen the downside of the couple getting financially involved with the problematic issues within that government? :unsure:

As I say sometimes, remember to check your browser to auto translate the Spanish text.

📰
Colombia's El Tiempo (The Times) newspaper:
Estas son las primeras fotos del Príncipe Harry y Meghan Markle en Colombia: ya comieron pandebono

Excerpt
"Prince Harry and Meghan Markle arrived in Colombia on Thursday, August 15 and will visit Bogotá, Cartagena and Cali, where they will carry out an agenda focused on issues of social justice, Afro-Colombian culture and the elimination of violence against children.
During their visit to Bogotá, they will attend a meeting in a cultural center and a university forum on "responsible digital future". From there they will travel to Cartagena and San Basilio de Palenque, considered the "first free town in South America".

🗞️
Diario El Pais (The Country Newspaper)

Excerpt:
"In the same way, during their visit to Colombia, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will accompany the vice president on her tour of some regions and the visit will be prior to the first Global Ministerial Conference on the Elimination of Violence against Children, which will take place on November 7 and 8..."

🗞️ 📰
Vogue Mexico & Latino America

"Let's remember that currently the Duchess of Sussex is dedicated to different causes in favor of mental health hand in hand with organizations, while balancing her life as a mother of two children and building her lifestyle brand, American Riviera Orchard, in her new home located in Montecito, California..."

🗞️

El Colombiano (The Colombian news)
Excerpt:
"After moving away from the monarchy and moving to California, United States, Harry and Meghan – who this year celebrated their sixth wedding anniversary – created "Archewell", a production company and philanthropic foundation that, as the Vice Presidency describes, "advocates for the promotion of safer digital environments", hence their invitation to the country."

Last edited:
The Times has published an article today for Harry’s upcoming 40th birthday and reflecting on his life at the moment.

The Times has published an article today for Harry’s upcoming 40th birthday and reflecting on his life at the moment.

I'm glad you are posting that article, but as they say in the USA, the shade is for real on how accurate the article describes his situation in the USA.

That would depend, I suspect, on who Roya Nikkhah chose to speak to and what narrative hook she used for her story in a British newspaper.
There have been comments from others over the last years who know Harry in California that he is perfectly happy and content with his family and living in sunshine in a beautiful house. But that perhaps wouldn’t suit the Times narrative. As this story is behind a paywall many of us shan’t know what these people she spoke to are saying.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how many "friends" seemed willing to speak in support of Harry.

The points about Harry and Meghan not being invited to attend the reception before the late Queen's funeral are utter rubbish IMO because it completely overlooks the fact that many other members of the RF (non working members and including other grandchildren of HLM) who took part in the funeral also didn't attend the reception, seemingly being able to put their own egos to one side for an evening to do so. I'm not saying everything was done right or proper in regards to Harry and Meghan in the days leading up to HLM's funeral but of all the things to go on about that - that is the weakest.

Its odd to me how often Harry - who claims to have been treated so unfairly - seemed to want to be treated so differently to the rest of HLMs grandchildren upto and even after her death.

Interesting to see how many "friends" seemed willing to speak in support of Harry.

The points about Harry and Meghan not being invited to attend the reception before the late Queen's funeral are utter rubbish IMO because it completely overlooks the fact that many other members of the RF (non working members and including other grandchildren of HLM) who took part in the funeral also didn't attend the reception, seemingly being able to put their own egos to one side for an evening to do so. I'm not saying everything was done right or proper in regards to Harry and Meghan in the days leading up to HLM's funeral but of all the things to go on about that - that is the weakest.

It’s odd to me how often Harry - who claims to have been treated so unfairly - seemed to want to be treated so differently to the rest of HLMs grandchildren upto and even after her death.
That was the one part I felt was utter rubbish. Obviously a very devoted friend who didn’t understand the fact that most of the family were not there. Including one son and 7 grandchildren. Read the briefing notes in the morning and get on with it.

Other than that the article seems fair. He loves his life as a father but they didn’t get what they want and he is angry and struggles with basically not mattering. I mean it is obvious anyway.

Yes, a very devoted "friend" indeed. The maddest bit of it was that seemingly they could have been at the funeral briefing but chose not to as they didn't want to face having to leave after it as the reception was starting. So again, moaning about a choice they themselves made.

I agree the rest of the article is pretty spot on. It makes me sad to think - as the article goes on to talk about - its quite likely as things stand that Harry won't be at William's coronation. Who would have thought that 10 years ago.

William’s Coronation might well be 15 to 20 years in the future. If William did discuss such a thing about his future anointing with his friends then that surely in quite bad taste.

Yes, a very devoted "friend" indeed. The maddest bit of it was that seemingly they could have been at the funeral briefing but chose not to as they didn't want to face having to leave after it as the reception was starting. So again, moaning about a choice they themselves made.

I agree the rest of the article is pretty spot on. It makes me sad to think - as the article goes on to talk about - its quite likely as things stand that Harry won't be at William's coronation. Who would have thought that 10 years ago.
Hurt runs deep and it won’t be mended anytime soon. The longer this goes on and the longer it will be for Harry to have any type of relationship with any of them. He will drift from Eugenie too as he is just out of the loop.

Eugenie, Jack and Beatrice still go to the US quite often. And we don’t know whether, (after the security thing is settled one way or another) that Harry and his family won’t buy a home in or near London.

Eugenie, Jack and Beatrice still go to the US quite often. And we don’t know whether, (after the security thing is settled one way or another) that Harry and his family won’t buy a home in or near London.
Beatrice seems to have always stayed away from the family a lot and is in general quite a quiet person. It’s more since she got married that she appears at Cheltenham etc. I doubt she has been to see Harry. They never seemed close. Eugenie is a totally different person but she is close to absolutely everyone. Mainly Zara and William it seems so in the end she will know what side her bread is buttered on.

Back
Top Bottom