Royals at Wimbledon 2008 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Duchess of Gloucester, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and the Earl of Snowdon in the Royal Box today.

Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor in attendance too but not in the Royal Box.

Last edited:
Big weekend at Wimbledon for the Royals. The Duchesses of Cambridge and Sussex tomorrow to watch Serena play and then The Cambridges on Sunday for the men's finals.

LaRae

Royals at Wimbledon

It’s amazing how the royal box has completely emptied after the ladies final.

There’s about 6/7 people in there currently watching the men’s doubles.

The Duke of Kent is also in attendance today with Catherine and Meghan.

Last edited:
I'd say it will be full tomorrow for the men's finals. We know at least the Cambridges will be there.

LaRae

HRH The Duchess of Cambridge arriving at Wimbledon earlier today.

It’s amazing how the royal box has completely emptied after the ladies final.

There’s about 6/7 people in there currently watching the men’s doubles.

The Duke of Kent is also in attendance today with Catherine and Meghan.

It was time for tea, sandwiches, Pimm's and strawberries. At the moment the royal box is full again to see Nicolas Mahut and Édouard Roger-Vasselin from France playing Juan Sebastian Cabal and Roger Farah from Colombia.

Here's a video of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at Wimbledon today

It's funny that the Duke and Duchess obviously were teased a little bit over their color coordination.

What a brilliant Wimbledon it has been for Royal appearances, weather and of course the tennis - fantastic men’s final. Nice to see the Duchess presenting the trophy.

Nice to see so many royals supporting Wimbledon. Out of interest did The Duchess present both trophies? I had heard on some coverage that she was going to present the runner up with his and the Duke of Kent would present the winners? No biggie just wondered.

Nice to see so many royals supporting Wimbledon. Out of interest did The Duchess present both trophies? I had heard on some coverage that she was going to present the runner up with his and the Duke of Kent would present the winners? No biggie just wondered.

DOCa presented both trophies.

Zenouska Mowatt was at Wimbledon today as well.

The winner made a most courteous bow to the Duchess indeed.

That would have been a great way to do a slow handover. The duke of Kent presenting the trophies to the winners of the various finals and the duchess of Cambridge presenting the trophies to the runners-up. Not sure though that both of them were also present at the doubles finals.

That would have been a great way to do a slow handover. The duke of Kent presenting the trophies to the winners of the various finals and the duchess of Cambridge presenting the trophies to the runners-up. Not sure though that both of them were also present at the doubles finals.

Yes I thought Kate doing the runner up and the Duke of Kent the winner would have been much better. The Duke is the President of Wimbledon and the Duchess is only patron notwithstanding the Duke's decades of support. I don't know who made the decision about what happened today but I really didn't feel all that comfortable with it I'm afraid.

I found the decision to have Kate present the trophies today strange as she had stayed in the royal box yesterday for the ladies final and not presented a trophy.

It would have been better if she and the Duke of Kent had came down onto the court on both days with Kate presenting the runner up trophy and the Duke the winners trophy.

I found the decision to have Kate present the trophies today strange as she had stayed in the royal box yesterday for the ladies final and not presented a trophy.

It would have been better if she and the Duke of Kent had came down onto the court on both days with Kate presenting the runner up trophy and the Duke the winners trophy.

I totally agree with you. The Duke is President of the All England Club and it's not just a title. He has worked tirelessly for nigh on 50 years in that capacity and I felt a little embarrassed for him today. I know an old little known royal isn't as glamorous as Kate and that the media have been champing at the bit for her to do the presentation for quite a few years now but the royal family don't tend to work like that and I thought that day would only come once the Duke had retired from his role. I never ever expected Kate to present the trophy ahead of him on Centre Court and, as I said, I felt the whole thing came across as a bit rushed, unnecessary and, dare I say it, disrespectful. The Duke is most likely an old fashioned gentleman so I'm sure he wouldn't make a fuss but I just don't know why Kate did the presentation today when he is still active in the role. JMO

Royals at Wimbledon

I think the fact that they shared the role with the Duke giving the ladies and the Duchess giving the men’s was fine. I’m sure the decision to involve the Duchess was done very amicably. President and Patron - I can’t imagine they are hung up on the idea of there having to be a monopoly of who should perform this happy task.
Edited to say the Duchess of Kent used to present the ladies trophy and the Queen as a Patron famously presented it to Virginia Wade, so nothing strange or odd.

Last edited:
I think the fact that they shared the role with the Duke giving the ladies and the Duchess giving the men’s was fine. I’m sure the decision to involve the Duchess was done very amicably. President and Patron - I can’t imagine they are hung up on the idea of there having to be a monopoly of who should perform this happy task.

The Duchess of Kent always presented the ladies trophy and the Duke the mens so even that would have made more sense with regards to him and Kate this year, but again, JMO.

:previous:And the Earl and Countess of St Andrews were sitting next to The Duke of Kent.

I’m glad that the reign of the Brooks’ is over at the All England Club. Let’s hope the new chairman doesn’t continue disgracing the Royal Box with upstarts, wanna-be celebrities and nobodies from nowhere. Put Royal back into the Royal Box!

Edited to say the Duchess of Kent used to present the ladies trophy and the Queen as a Patron famously presented it to Virginia Wade, so nothing strange or odd.

I totally agree with you. Royal roles keep evolving all the time with older royals handing off their roles to younger generations.

Catherine seems to be very thoughtful and full of grace. Honestly, since becoming a royal, I have never seen her trying to upstage anyone or make any situation about her. So I don't believe she will demand to present the trophy unless Duke of Kent asked her to do so.

It's been great to see all the royals at Wimbledon so far and I especially loved seeing Catherine and Meghan there together. I've been on holiday for a couple of weeks so am just catching up on all the reports now!

Why would it be odd for Kate to present one of the trophies? She is the president right now and will likely be Patron in the fairly near future. I am sure it was all worked out with the DOK beforehand. Plus, I suspect her close friendship with Roger Federer was also a likely reason too.

Darn good tennis yesterday! What an incredible match.

Why would it be odd for Kate to present one of the trophies? She is the president right now and will likely be Patron in the fairly near future.

Kate is patron, the Duke of Kent is president.
Kate is never likely to be the president, it’s a position that demands much more involvement than can be expected of the Princess of Wales and Queen Consort one day.
Personally, I think Prince Edward is the likely successor for the Duke of Kent.

Kate is never likely to be the president, it’s a position that demands much more involvement than can be expected of the Princess of Wales and Queen Consort one day.

Why prince Edward? Not because of the shared first name I assume ?
He doesn't seem to be attending now... (but I might have missed something - I haven't been following that closely). I believe at least the countess of Wessex attends Wimbledon regularly (i.e., yearly); so she seems a more likely choice.

Edit: I just read that the two of them met at the tennis court; maybe that's the reason you suggested he might become the next president? Still, does the earl regularly attend Wimbledon matches nowadays? If not, I'd say that the countess would be the better choice; we'll just have to wait and see...

Last edited:
If William is a President of Football Association, I don’t see why Catherine can’t hold a President position in Tennis

Pardon, I got it mixed up.

And I personally don't see how Kate being PoW at some point and QC at an ever further point would prohibit her from being President. The DoE had some high level positions with orgs that demanded time. Prince William does. Charles too.

Now, I am not myself sure Kate will be as much of a...worker in her roles per se. But I doubt the president role is so all consuming that it is automatically out for her.

Back
Top Bottom