Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think nobody said that she shouldn’t have a baby shower, no matter what opinion one has about them. And I don’t think the press should have abstained from criticising it. It’s exactly what all the royals are exposed to. She’s American, as she said when representing The Queen (the visit to Morrocco), so she’s chosen to continue this American custom. It is not very British, so the British press criticised. All fair, in my opinion.
(I don’t want to get into the costs, personally I find it in very bad taste to flaunt money. But I know for a lot of Americans that’s perfectly acceptable.)

Brides who marry into foreign royal families (Mary Donaldson, Maxima, Queen Sofia, etc.) normally publicly embrace their new national identity while possibly keeping a private connection to their home countries. Queen Sofia, for example, said in a interview (to be fair, after having lived in Spain for 40 years) that she felt "100 % Spanish", even though she kept traveling to Greece every year throughout this period.

To this day, it puzzles me that Meghan never did that and continued to self-describe as an American. In fact, she went further than that implying that it was a pain to her to learn the national anthem, prepare for the citizenship test (which was "so hard"), and so on.

I know it's hard for Americans because they see the United States as the center of the world, or, worse, simply ignore the outside world entirely, but Meghan's attitude to life in the UK stands out.

Last edited:
Possibly she never saw herelf as living full time in the UK, but spending much time in America

Possibly she never saw herelf as living full time in the UK, but spending much time in America

But being paid full time. Or at least protected full time. Because, y'all know protection doesn't cost anything and Harry is a prince.

I think nobody said that she shouldn’t have a baby shower, no matter what opinion one has about them. And I don’t think the press should have abstained from criticising it. It’s exactly what all the royals are exposed to. She’s American, as she said when representing The Queen (the visit to Morrocco), so she’s chosen to continue this American custom. It is not very British, so the British press criticised. All fair, in my opinion.
(I don’t want to get into the costs, personally I find it in very bad taste to flaunt money. But I know for a lot of Americans that’s perfectly acceptable.)

For me the Baby Shower was an indication that Meghan was going down the celebrity route rather than the royal route.

But being paid full time. Or at least protected full time. Because, y'all know protection doesn't cost anything and Harry is a prince.

I think that tehy both expected full time protection, regardless of where they were living. that either Charels or the tax payers would fund it for them.. and they got a rude shock when told that they would not.

For me the Baby Shower was an indication that Meghan was going down the celebrity route rather than the royal route.

Exacty, and that's what many posters are missing. There are things, regardless of whether they cost anything to the taxpayers or not, which are not considered appropriate "royal behavior", and which royals simply don't do.

In this particular case, Meghan says in the docu-series that she sees nothing wrong in her friends "showing her their love" by spending their money to give her an extravagant party in New York and fly her there on a private jet. As she sees no problem in accepting free gifts from private companies. However, that is unethical for people who hold a public office, which is the case for working members of the Royal Family on the Sovereign Grant, and can be seen as influence peddling.

EDIT: To be fair, Andrew of course also accepted favors from private "friends" and even William and Kate flew on the Duke of Westminster's private jet, but, in all those cases, I also said it was unacceptable behavior for a royal to do so, because that is my honest opinion.

Last edited:
It's distasteful to flaunt your otherness but expect "the norm" ti fund your lavish lifestyle.

You want to enjoy your friends' love by receiving an extravagant party? You run the risk of needing their life by, say, having them fund your protection.

There is a reason why royal brides don't thump themselves in the chest claiming that they do and feel this way because they're Australian, Argentinian, whatnot. Only Meghan the Proud American did so.
So, a baby shower for hundreds of thousands of dollars is not a biggie but oh, she's in mortal danger because she can't afford her own protection? Poor Meghan - literally. Perhaps she should have listened to the ones paying because she clearly isn't in her friends' league.

Last edited:
It's distasteful to flaunt your otherness but expect "the norm" ti fund your lavish lifestyle.

You want to enjoy your friends' love by receiving an extravagant party? You run the risk of needing their life by, say, having them fund your protection.

There is a reason why royal brides don't thump themselves in the chest claiming that they do and feel this way because they're Australian, Argentinian, whatnot. Only Meghan the Proud American did so.
So, a baby shower for hundreds of thousands of dollars is not a biggie but oh, she's in mortal danger because she can't afford her own protection? Poor Meghan - literally. Perhaps she should have listened to the ones paying because she clearly isn't in her friends' league.

To be fair, it is possible that also Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Máxima, Mary had "baby showers". I doubt it, but nevertheless: it was never in the media.

I don't think we can blame any newcomer to the BRF for a conspicuous display of wealth (by them or their friends) when the multi-propertied BRF is seen at glamorous events (some of them private eg parties) wearing hugely expensive designer clothes and highly valuable jewels. The press will jump on it of course, which is one of the reasons I keep saying that newcomers should be introduced slowly and try to avoid attracting media attention for anything other than some low-key royal duties.

She went out the front door of the hotel at the baby shower.

Just like Harry did at Guy Pelly’s club years ago.

They wanted to be seen. For them to suggest otherwise is silly.

The press will jump on it of course, which is one of the reasons I keep saying that newcomers should be introduced slowly and try to avoid attracting media attention for anything other than some low-key royal duties.

From what we've heard Harry's family wanted him and Meghan to take it easy, but they didn't agree.

Several publications (from DM to Telegraph) report that despite this Netflix show the King will invite them to the coronation. If it's true and they do attend it, it'd add to their (many of) hypocrisies particularly with how they made a point of differentiating between "the institution" (which they're having problem with) and "the family". More so if they don't return to England for Christmas because Christmas is "family" while coronation is "institution". And if Meghan was so shaken of a comment about her father during walkabout, could she handle Sandringham walkabout since people who'll be there most likely feel negatively about the Sussexes?

Several publications (from DM to Telegraph) report that despite this Netflix show the King will invite them to the coronation. If it's true and they do attend it, it'd add to their (many of) hypocrisies particularly with how they made a point of differentiating between "the institution" (which they're having problem with) and "the family". More so if they don't return to England for Christmas because Christmas is "family" while coronation is "institution". And if Meghan was so shaken of a comment about her father during walkabout, could she handle Sandringham walkabout since people who'll be there most likely feel negatively about the Sussexes?

Honestly, I hope they will not come. Weird choice to invite in the first place after all their complaints they made , they will used this occasion to complain again and again in future. It's better not giving them any material to talk trash.
If Meghan is allowed to cut off all her toxic family, royal family should be allowed to cut them.

I get that the King and the Prince of Wales have chosen to "ignore" the docu-series and not issue a response. That is understandable as the program was just an (often delusional) ego trip and did not include any substantive new facts that could hurt or threaten the Royal Family. Keeping quiet is the best way not to feed the trolls.

However, I am on the fence on still inviting Harry and Meghan to the coronation. The King might look weak if he does that, or, worse, may look like he is taking sides in the row between Harry and William and end up hurting his heir in the process. Even if the Palace keeps quiet, there should be consequences for Harry and Meghan's behavior and, in any case, given their commercial use of any private moment that is convenient for them to sell, they can't be trusted to be near the Family.

I would appreciate, however, if other posters could possibly weigh also the Pros of inviting them to the coronation.

Last edited:
Of course they'll be invited to the coronation. There's no way Charles will give anyone a reason to say he cut ties with his own son, whatever he might have said and done.

Exactly. A $400,000 baby shower and a private jet to get there??? How does that pass the sniff test for a so called activist??

It would be like Kate's parents buying her a new $400,000 tiara and her parading it about. Just because a royal and their inner circle can afford to do something extravagant, doesn't mean that it's a good idea when the country that gave you your title and privilege is suffering economically.

If the reports about the Sussexes being invited to the coronation are true, then I think this is the wisest possible course for Charles. It puts the ball squarely back in Meghan and Harry's court, and now they are going to have to decide whether they go, and support an institution that they have very publicly criticized, or whether they decide to stay away. Either way, Charles hasn't contributed to the escalation of whatever media warfare Harry and Meghan seem to want to engage in.

Of course they'll be invited to the coronation. There's no way Charles will give anyone a reason to say he cut ties with his own son, whatever he might have said and done.

Of course they will be invited. Although if Jubilee is anything to go by they may show up at a window and the church service and that is it. Do we know any of the events that will be held?

How old will Archie be then? 4? I mean he would probably be able to go to some events.

If the reports about the Sussexes being invited to the coronation are true, then I think this is the wisest possible course for Charles. It puts the ball squarely back in Meghan and Harry's court, and now they are going to have to decide whether they go, and support an institution that they have very publicly criticized, or whether they decide to stay away. Either way, Charles hasn't contributed to the escalation of whatever media warfare Harry and Meghan seem to want to engage in.

Do you think they would stay away if invited? They have turned down invitations to private events such as summer at Balmoral and Christmas at Sandrigham, but not to official public events so far.

I can't see how Harry could pledge allegiance to the King at the coronation after what he has said, is saying, and apparently will keep saying in the foreseeable future. Spare is out in January and I believe Harry already has other interviews lined up on American TV.

Besides, how comfortable would the Family be with Harry and Meghan around them, especially the Waleses? Does the King really want to have the press focus on Kate's and Meghan's body language at the coronation rather than on him being crowned and taking the coronation oaths?

Last edited:
Do you think they would stay away if invited? They have turned dwn invitations to private events such as summer at Balmoral and Christmas at Sandrigham, but not to official public events so far.

I can't see how Harry could pledge allegiance to the King in the coronation after what he has said, is saying, and apparently will keep saying in the foreseeable future (Spare is out in January and I believe Harry already has other interviews lined up on American TV).

Besides, how comfortable would the Famiy be with Harry and Meghan around them, especially the Waleses? Does the King really want to have the press focus on Kate's and Meghan's body language at the coronation instead on him being crowned and taking the coronation oaths?

That will be very interesting to see, won't it? I agree with all your points, but assuming the reports are true and that there will be an invitation forthcoming, by Charles choosing not to make whatever breach there may be even more public and more personal, it's shifts the narrative of the evil unfeeling royal family into a lower gear.

Of course they will be invited. Although if Jubilee is anything to go by they may show up at a window and the church service and that is it. Do we know any of the events that will be held?

How old will Archie be then? 4? I mean he would probably be able to go to some events.

The coronation takes place on his 4th birthday.

That will be very interesting to see, won't it? I agree with all your points, but assuming the reports are true and that there will be an invitation forthcoming, by Charles choosing not to make whatever breach there may be even more public and more personal, it's shifts the narrative of the evil unfeeling royal family into a lower gear.

imo whatever happens and whatever they do will be explained differently by M&H-symphatizers and M&H-critics:
RF invites them to the coronation:
- RF shows they know they were in the wrong and extend an olivebranch and show they are trying to do better
vs
- RF doesn't play M&H's game and shows they are not unfeeling and uncaring and there's always an open door back in when M&H are ready to understand there are different sides to any story

This is one of those “damned if you do and damned if you don’t “ situations. If the duo is invited and comes to the coronation, I would assume that other members of the family will ignore them the same way they were ignored at HM’s funeral. And then they will again complain that they were “snubbed and abused.” What on earth did they expect?
Since Harry’s book will come out first, we’ll have to wait and see if/how much it makes relationships worse.
These two don’t seem to get that there are consequences for words and actions.:nonono:

Whether they are invited or not I cannot see them coming. They will be booed by the crowds on the streets.

Having now watched the full series I feel that they have been horribly treated by the media. There was definitely a double standard in terms of the headlines relating to Meghan.

However the underlying thing for me (and my husband) was that at the end of the day they just didn’t come across as being very likeable. They seemed totally full of themselves with blown up egos. Able to criticise all around them without taking a moment to consider any fault on their own parts. I feel that they have completely misunderstood what this series would do for the public perception of them as a couple.

Regarding the over the top "public" Baby Shower it was in my opinion pure "Hollywood Glitz". That's what made it so jarring to the British Media and Public.
Designed for maximum PR coverage by Meghan and her Celebrity new Friends. Amal Clooney, ( who also provided the private jet) who ALSO seems to have cooled on the relationship, Gayle King and steadfast friend Serena Williams, being the most notable. Interesting enough, her niece Ashleigh Hale,
that Meghan claims She was forbidden to invite to her Wedding doesn't seem to have been invited.

Lots of pictures of Meghan out and about at that NYC Hotel, revelling in the attention, it seemed to me anyways.
She wanted the Media to capture it, and they did. It just backfired on her in the UK, which as I understand doesn't go in for conspicuous and lavish Baby Showers.
Nothing low key for her, just ostentatious. It screamed I'm now in with the A List.
As other posters have commented, if Meghan wanted a Baby Shower "under the radar" but still lavish, She could have gone the "private route" with no-one knowing. But She didn't.
Either She didn't know OR care that the optics would look bad, and not be received well. Just as She bristled when Staff Advisors told her She could NOT accept freebie gifts like Designer Clothes, as a member of The Royal Family.

Speaking of Amal Clooney, she would have been quite a "catch" as a guest on her Podcast, or on the Docu-series.
A brilliant and respected Lawyer in International Human Rights Law, of Arabic descent and married to Uber A lister George Clooney. Her global perspective would have been fascinating. As well as balancing a life with giant media interest too !

Instead Meghan had "yesterdays news" Paris Hilton and I might get blowback on this, but Mariah Carey has already peaked too.

ONLY Serena Williams is a current Player, literally in today's Media Market. The Podcast for me offered nothing of Substance either. No-one of Political or Hollywood Icon status. I wonder if that surprised Meghan ? Supposedly She wanted Reese Witherspoon on for the "Bimbo Segment" but got turned down.
But as I said, Amal is seemingly MIA from The Sussex's now, and I expect more People will distance themselves too.

Last edited:
She went out the front door of the hotel at the baby shower.

Just like Harry did at Guy Pelly’s club years ago.

They wanted to be seen. For them to suggest otherwise is silly.

Agreed.

What I see now that I didn’t see at the time is how much Meghan loves (good)publicity, attention, being seen, name dropping, etc.

My guess is she chose that very upscale hotel, going out the front door, etc because she wanted everyone to know she was having an extravagant baby shower full of A listers attending.

Fine. But that’s very celebrity behavior. It was going to be commented on and not necessarily in a positive way.

She could have found a way- easily- to have a very nice private baby shower. But I don’t think she wanted that. As suggested- it could have been at someone’s (extravagant) home- the way most baby showers are.

To be fair, it is possible that also Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Máxima, Mary had "baby showers". I doubt it, but nevertheless: it was never in the media.

What you don't know can't hurt you, eh? ;)

On a more serious note, each one of the things Meghan got criticized for could just be washed away. I can't think of a single royal who hasn't been caught unawares of their own privileges, flaunting wealth and so on. The thing is, Meghan didn't care to listen and learn. As Scobie said, she wasn't willing to change to please anyone. Instead, she insisted on doing things the American way but being funded as a UK duchess. Never gonna work or at least without much mockery and bad image. With her, the instances just kept piling on.

Last edited:
I get that the King and the Prince of Wales have chosen to "ignore" the docu-series and not issue a response. That is understandable as the program was just an (often delusional) ego trip and did not include any substantive new facts that could hurt or threaten the Royal Family. Keeping quiet is the best way not to feed the trolls.

However, I am on the fence on still inviting Harry and Meghan to the coronation. The King might look weak if he does that, or, worse, may look like he is taking sides in the row between Harry and William and end up hurting his heir in the process. Even if the Palace keeps quiet, there should be consequences for Harry and Meghan's behavior and, in any case, given their commercial use of any private moment that is convenient for them to sell, they can't be trusted to be near the Family.

I would appreciate, however, if other posters could possibly weigh also the Pros of inviting them to the coronation.

IA- that there was nothing the BRF need to respond to from this series. It was petty, annoying, nasty, unkind- but a dignified silence is the best route imo UNLESS something truly egregious is said. Hopefully the book will be more of the same.

I’m on the fence about the coronation too.

I don’t think they deserve to be invited. Their continuing nastiness about their family, the institution, etc speaks for itself.

Plus- we know they’ll sell whatever they can get away with. Nothing seems to be off limits with these two. I’m astounded as to just how much they were willing to sell for this program. So, they can’t be trusted.

Furthermore- I don’t expect the family to act like they are besties with people who profit off of publicly criticizing them. (They pretty clearly distanced themselves from the Sussexes at TQ’s funeral overall.) So- that will get commented on. Might be something else for the Sussexes to complain about too.

Agreed- there SHOULD be consequences for their behavior.

Why they’d want to attend after all their whining is beyond me. It should be the last thing they want to attend.

Except that I can see them wanting to be seen as royal, still have a connection- even if it’s a connection they complain about. It’s all they have really. I haven’t heard them say they’ll never use their titles again- even after 3 years of nonstop complaining about the price they paid for them.

Still- Harry is Charles son. Part of me thinks he should get to come with restrictions attached. It could also be seen as petty on Charles part to not invite him. It could look like Charles has completely cut off Harry.

I sort of think Charles is dammed if he does and damned if he doesn’t invite them.

I lean towards Charles inviting him though. Be the bigger person. Put restrictions in place. The Sussexes can come or not.

Last edited:
IA- that there was nothing the BRF need to respond to from this series. It was petty, annoying, nasty, unkind- but a dignified silence is the best route imo UNLESS something truly egregious is said. Hopefully the book will be more of the same.

I’m on the fence about the coronation too.

I don’t think they deserve to be invited. Their continuing nastiness about their family, the institution, etc speaks for itself.

Plus- we know they’ll sell whatever they can get away with. Nothing seems to be off limits with these two. I’m astounded as to just how much they were willing to sell for this program. So, they can’t be trusted. Agreed- there SHOULD be consequences for their behavior.

Why they’d want to attend after all their whining is beyond me. It should be the last thing they want to attend.

Except that I can see them wanting to be seen as royal, still have a connection- even if it’s a connection they complain about. It’s all they have really. I haven’t heard them say they’ll never use their titles again- even after 3 years of nonstop complaining about the price they paid for them.

Still- Harry is Charles son. Part of me thinks he should get to come with restrictions attached. It could also be seen as petty on Charles part to not invite him. It could look like Charles has completely cut off Harry.

I sort of think Charles is dammed if he does and damned if he doesn’t invite them.

I lean towards Charles inviting him though. Be the bigger person. Put restrictions in place. The Sussexes can come or not.

I think they should be invited with some strict parameters set for how they interact with the family and no official role to play - they can sit there with the rest of the invited family members.

The ball is then in Harry and Meghan’s court - when some reporter asks the palace communication staff the inevitable question of whether it’s appropriate for the Sussexes to attend given everything they’ve said about the King, the PoW and the monarchy, they can say that that’s an issue for Harry and Meghan to consider. The “no win” situation is then owned by Harry and Meghan, and deservedly so.

The BRF currently has the moral high ground and they should take care not to surrender it. I think they would risk looking petty if they didn’t invite Harry and Meghan. By inviting them I think they show they’re not intimidated by the Sussexes and aren’t lowering themselves by taking their trashy reality series and other nonsense seriously. If Harry and Meghan want to degrade themselves in public that’s their prerogative, but they don’t get to drag everyone else down with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom