Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this article in The Times, Harry and Meghan now want to sit down with the family to address the issues raised in the Netflix series. They apparently feel they are owed an apology for how they were treated.

To put it lightly, what a self-centred and hypocritical couple the Sussexes are if there are any truth in The Times article. The irony of Harry & Meghan accusing The Palace of not "taking responsibility or accountability" is astounding. I could not remember a time when they admitted and apologised their wrongdoing. To make matters worse, the Sussexes even said in the Netflix documentary “My wife and I, we are moving on. We are focused on what’s coming next.”. How is rehashing and discussing what was addressed in the Netflix documentary "moving on"?

I agree with posters here that this will not be the end of the Sussexes criticising the Royal Family, just like what happened after the Oprah interview. I think they will keep on milking the drama as their main source of contribution to the media. I take what the Sussex's source a pinch salt, given that every attacks they made against the Royal Family has overshadow their "service work".

A source close to the Sussexes says that after Harry’s book, the couple will “focus on their service work” rather than “anything personal — they’re looking forward to people being interested in what they’re doing beyond all the drama.”

Barbados didn't leave the Commonwealth. It became a republic like many Commonwealth countries before it (see for example this list of former Commonwealth realms that are now republics). Out of 56 Commonwealth member states, only 15 (including the UK) are currently realms where King Charles III is Head of State. In fact, the Commonwealth of Nations replaced the former British Commonwealth of Nations in 1949 precisely to allow former dominions like India, which became a republic in January 1950, to abolish the monarchy without having to leave the Commonwealth.

When William and Kate visited Jamaica, Barbados had already become a republic (that was unclear to viewers in the documentary). Although it is conceivable that Meghan would have been an asset in Caribbean tours, it is not plausible to believe that Barbados would not have become a republic because of Meghan, nor would issues like slavery reparations have gone away. Meghan, with her political/social activism and reluctance to follow the guidance from the British FCO on what to say in public on an official tour, might have actually made things worse.

did you get the sarcasm of my post? hope so and agree M. can't help herself yet the CW.

It's a constant whingefest with them. Next up will be the publication of Harry's book, which will presumably be another load of whingeing and negativity. They want publicity all the time, and evidently haven't got any other way of trying to get it. How do they see their future? One long whingeathon?

IMO take away their titles (the need to learn consequences) and invite them as family (if Charles as a father wants it), but who decides it? BP or British Gov?

Has the British public ever booed Royals like some posters say will happen at the coronation?
I've often read this and when watching the crowds finally go crazy as soon as a Royal steps out, think it would be the same with the Sussexes though tide is high.

Txs.

Im confused if the monarchy/institution is a good thing from that documentary. It flip flops so much from saying it will always be racist then praising it because Meghan was involved with the commonwealth...

According to this article in The Times, Harry and Meghan now want to sit down with the family to address the issues raised in the Netflix series. They apparently feel they are owed an apology for how they were treated.

But didn't Harry say in the docu-series that he gave up "waiting for an apology" and that he is now focused on his new life in America? Wasn't it mentioned that Harry's children are building a "family of friends" and that "friends can be family" too? So, why does he want to sit with his (biological) family to demand an apology which he now believes will never come?

I am not at all surprised that they truly believe they were wronged and that they deserve an apology. After all, the reason why Harry and Meghan left the UK, according to the docu-series, wasn't systemic racism, mental health, or security threats after all, but rather, in the version presented in Vol. 2, they left ultimately because William "bullied them out of the Royal Family". In fact, according to Harry, even the media attacks on Meghan were masterminded by William's office.

Last edited:
In this article it states that Duke and Duchess of Sussex believe that the British Royal Family should issue them an apology and then hold a meeting with them.

https://archive.ph/iMCje

The couple feel the royal family has shown double standards by instigating a reconciliation meeting between Ngozi Fulani, the charity boss, and Lady Susan Hussey, a former lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth. The latter made “unacceptable and deeply regrettable” comments about Fulani’s heritage last month, and Hussey offered her “sincere apologies” at last week’s meetings.
A source close to the Sussexes said: “Nothing like that was ever done when Harry and Meghan raised various concerns — no meeting, formal apology or taking responsibility or accountability. That is hard to swallow — 100 per cent yes they’d like to have a meeting.”

This doesn’t surprise me. Wasn’t there some talk after they met at Easter of Harry requesting a mediator to help the family talk. And Camilla spitting out her tea. I don’t know what goes on inside the family but Harry is righteously angry and it is concerning. Also the others seem perfectly happy to be part of the family. It’s just him.

What does he want from them an apology for social media? For not giving them ? Not contradicting every story that came out? For not fighting for him? For letting him go when they thought they were megastars? For yelling at him in a situation where all families would yell? I mean I don’t get it. Do that really want the half in half out thing?

I think ultimately it is very dangerous for people to consider themselves irreplaceable because they aren’t. On a personal front ai am sure the family miss him tremendously. On a work front it hardly matters.

Katie Nichols was on something recently and said something really interesting. She said they choose to start this battle and that ultimately it is one they probably won’t win.

Last edited:
In this article it states that Duke and Duchess of Sussex believe that the British Royal Family should issue them an apology and then hold a meeting with them.

Well if they're referring to what they alleged in the Winfrey interview then they've already had the recollections may vary reply so I don't know why they're flogging that particular dead horse.

But of course as ever it is a deliberate ploy to make the rf look bad. Again. No surprise there then.

To me they should be invited to the coronation. To not invite them feeds their 'victim' of the system narrative.

The alternative to not inviting them is to make it a 'working royals' only event which means no Andrew or the York princesses, no Wessex children, neither of Anne's children or the extended family ... most of whom turned out to support Catherine's Carol Service last week.

To me they should be invited to the coronation. To not invite them feeds their 'victim' of the system narrative.

The alternative to not inviting them is to make it a 'working royals' only event which means no Andrew or the York princesses, no Wessex children, neither of Anne's children or the extended family ... most of whom turned out to support Catherine's Carol Service last week.

Of course they should. Whether they show up is another business.

The article quotes Harry's exact words from the docu-series, which I was alluding to:

“I have had to make peace with the fact we’re probably never going to get genuine accountability or a genuine apology.
[...]
My wife and I, we are moving on. We are focused on what’s coming next.

So, again, I don't understand it. If he says that he has made peace with the fact that he is never going to get an apology and that he is moving on, why are his proxies telling the press that he still wants a meeting?

https://archive.ph/bOQ3v

Rishi Sunak to take on Netflix amid Harry & Meghan accuracy row

[FONT=&quot] Ofcom's powers to be extended to include streaming services with ability to impose fines of up to £250,000[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Rishi Sunak will give the broadcasting watchdog the power to take on Netflix for the first time, amid a row about accuracy in the Harry & Meghan documentary.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ministers are planning to pass a new law that would bring all streaming giants under the jurisdiction of Ofcom and hand it the power to impose fines of up to £250,000.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Viewers would also be able to complain to Ofcom about shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime and other services and see them investigated for breaches of a new code of conduct.[/FONT]

How about two levels of participation - one for working members and one for the rest? The former get to wear their finery, with crowns, uniforms, orders, chains, tiaras, jewels etc, have prominent seats in full view of cameras, and play an actual role in the ceremony, while the latter wear day dress, sit out of sight and are observers only? Harry, Meghan and Andrew could be placed in this latter group.

That wouldn't work as people are either royal or they aren't. If royal and attending then they have to look royal and take part (as peers both Harry and Andrew would be expected to pay homage - unless Charles cuts that, as I expect him to do as part of cutting down the service from about 3 hours to about 1 hour ... a lot has to be cut).

I think 'working royals' only is the best solution and would allow more of those from charities to attend.

If Harry and Meghan attend, and are shoved at the back, they will complain as well.

Harry is still Charles' son and will either have to be seated accordingly or not attend.

The article quotes Harry's exact words from the docu-series, which I was alluding to:

So, again, I don't understand it. If he says that he has made peace with the fact that he is never going to get an apology and that he is moving on, why are his proxies telling the press that he still wants a meeting?

I'd say the royal family could say exactly the same: they also have to make peace with the fact that they are probably never going to get genuine accountability (from Harry and Meghan) or a genuine apology (for the hurt they are causing by their full-out continuous attack on the institution/BRF) - and in addition, they have to be concerned about what other attacks and attempts to undermine their lifework will come their way.

That wouldn't work as people are either royal or they aren't. If royal and attending then they have to look royal and take part (as peers both Harry and Andrew would be expected to pay homage - unless Charles cuts that, as I expect him to do as part of cutting down the service from about 3 hours to about 1 hour ... a lot has to be cut).

I think 'working royals' only is the best solution and would allow more of those from charities to attend.

If Harry and Meghan attend, and are shoved at the back, they will complain as well.

Harry is still Charles' son and will either have to be seated accordingly or not attend.
They did something similar during the Jubilee service in June, so I don't see why it cannot work this time. The primary working royals (queen's children and William & Catherine as well as the Wessex's children) were on the front row and the others were seated behind them (not completely in order of precedence). They can of course adjust the seating in a way in which some members are more prominently in view than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
They did something similar during the Jubilee service in June, so I don't see why it cannot work this time. The primary working royals (queen's children and William & Catherine as well as the Wessex's children) were on the front row and the others were seated behind them (not completely in order of precedence). They can of course adjust the seating in a way in which some members are more prominently in view than others.

Having them in the second row is fine but I was responding to this idea:

How about two levels of participation - one for working members and one for the rest? The former get to wear their finery, with crowns, uniforms, orders, chains, tiaras, jewels etc, have prominent seats in full view of cameras, and play an actual role in the ceremony, while the latter wear day dress, sit out of sight and are observers only? Harry, Meghan and Andrew could be placed in this latter group.

In this scenario the non-working royals are in ordinary clothes, which may or may not be what everyone else is wearing as we have no idea on the dress code yet and basically hidden from view.

At the Jubilee they weren't hidden from view. They were simply in the second row behind the working royals and at the Queen's funeral again second row.

To have a two-tiered dress standard is also wrong to me - either everyone, including the King and Queen Consort in day dress or everyone is dressed up.

Having them in the second row is fine but I was responding to this idea:

In this scenario the non-working royals are in ordinary clothes, which may or may not be what everyone else is wearing as we have no idea on the dress code yet and basically hidden from view.

At the Jubilee they weren't hidden from view. They were simply in the second row behind the working royals and at the Queen's funeral again second row.

To have a two-tiered dress standard is also wrong to me - either everyone, including the King and Queen Consort in day dress or everyone is dressed up.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear more detail in January. The family will all be together over the Christmas holiday, a chance to go over details. .

From what we've heard Harry's family wanted him and Meghan to take it easy, but they didn't agree.

I just finished reading Valentine Low's book, Courtiers, and he says that the Royal Family wanted H & M to take it slow at the beginning and even suggested she still work in film industry, maybe directing. They went out of their way to try and make them happy, but nothing makes them happy, it seems

(...)

I am not at all surprised that they truly believe they were wronged and that they deserve an apology. After all, the reason why Harry and Meghan left the UK, according to the docu-series, wasn't systemic racism, mental health, or security threats after all, but rather, in the version presented in Vol. 2, they left ultimately because William "bullied them out of the Royal Family". In fact, according to Harry, even the media attacks on Meghan were masterminded by William's office.

Wait, didn't he said with his own mouth during Oprah interview how lucky he is that Meghan saves/frees him and pity his father and brother that they're trapped in the institution? Why would he need apology from them if they're the one who are trapped? Or did it happen in some alternate universe?

I think they should be invited with some strict parameters set for how they interact with the family and no official role to play - they can sit there with the rest of the invited family members.

The ball is then in Harry and Meghan’s court - when some reporter asks the palace communication staff the inevitable question of whether it’s appropriate for the Sussexes to attend given everything they’ve said about the King, the PoW and the monarchy, they can say that that’s an issue for Harry and Meghan to consider. The “no win” situation is then owned by Harry and Meghan, and deservedly so.

The BRF currently has the moral high ground and they should take care not to surrender it. I think they would risk looking petty if they didn’t invite Harry and Meghan. By inviting them I think they show they’re not intimidated by the Sussexes and aren’t lowering themselves by taking their trashy reality series and other nonsense seriously. If Harry and Meghan want to degrade themselves in public that’s their prerogative, but they don’t get to drag everyone else down with them.

That is brilliant! That would be a perfect response to a question like that.

It's a constant whingefest with them. Next up will be the publication of Harry's book, which will presumably be another load of whingeing and negativity. They want publicity all the time, and evidently haven't got any other way of trying to get it. How do they see their future? One long whingeathon?

A friend of mine (who doesn't follow the Royals) commented that she had long lost any sympathy she ever had for them because "they whine all the time."

The comment in the media that summed up Harry and Megan's recent actions for me was a comparison to the ex who leaves late night voice messages insisting that they are happy and better off without you.

It's tiresome, they need to move on but seem to be incapable of doing so (despite what they say). Meghan's been out of the royal family longer than she was in it and yet, they can't seem to stop complaining. It isn't either financially or emotionally sustainable or healthy.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear more detail in January. The family will all be together over the Christmas holiday, a chance to go over details. .

Really? I hadn't heard anything about them visiting. I'd be surprised if the family was together at Christmas especially since Harry's book is not coming out until after. I was under the impression that the Royals were keeping their distance from Harry and Meghan while waiting for Harry's book to be released in January.

As well, Harry and Meghan couldn't be bothered to visit the Queen shortly before her death even though they were in the country for the Well Child awards (the last time they saw her was during the Jubilee.)

With everything that they said in the special, I'd be surprised if the entire family were together in the holidays, especially now the Queen is no longer there. After all, it would not be the first Christmas they've spent apart from his family (when they first left, they didn't see his family then either.)

Really? I hadn't heard anything about them visiting. I'd be surprised if the family was together at Christmas especially since Harry's book is not coming out until after. I was under the impression that the Royals were keeping their distance from Harry and Meghan while waiting for Harry's book to be released in January.

As well, Harry and Meghan couldn't be bothered to visit the Queen shortly before her death even though they were in the country for the Well Child awards (the last time they saw her was during the Jubilee.)

With everything that they said in the special, I'd be surprised if the entire family were together in the holidays, especially now the Queen is no longer there. After all, it would not be the first Christmas they've spent apart from his family (when they first left, they didn't see his family then either.)

I think the OP meant the rest of the family- not Harry and Meghan.

I wasn’t including Harry and Meghan when I referred to the family being together at Xmas, I knew they would not be there.
Sorry I didn’t intend to mislead anybody.

I wasn’t including Harry and Meghan when I referred to the family being together at Xmas, I knew they would not be there.
Sorry I didn’t intend to mislead anybody.

Thank you for clarifying, I misunderstood. :flowers:

I think that tehy both expected full time protection, regardless of where they were living. that either Charels or the tax payers would fund it for them.. and they got a rude shock when told that they would not.
A perfect example of Harry taking things for granted instead of knowing/asking questions/learning about how things work.:whistling:

A perfect example of Harry taking things for granted instead of knowing/asking questions/learning about how things work.:whistling:

And to be fair to the royal family: I think this would have been a major point of discussion in working with Harry & Meghan on a solution. The problem is they were incredibly impulsive and they wanted what they wanted exactly when they wanted it.

News stories might have leaked, but most of the population wouldn’t have considered anything set in stone until it was announced through official channels. If they were desperate for a break, they should have enjoyed a break. They should have negotiated in good faith during that time and their security should have been one of the questions they asked, not something they just assumed.

So much what happened got forced by their adversarial relationship with the media and determination to release things themselves, including plans that were at odds with how the royal family functions and that hadn’t been approved.

Last edited:
The thing I don't get with the security issue 'why would Harry think he would have 24/7 security for life' when the younger children of Queen Elizabeth didn't have that? Surely that was one of the things he would have realised - that as a younger sibling, in time, he would also lose that level of protection as he became less important to the family or did he think that being Diana's son meant he was somehow more special than QEII's daughter or younger sons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom