Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is, if they did want rewrites after the Queen’s death, this mockery of curtsying would have been the first to go. It was cringeworthy ⬇️

ALSO, poor Ashleigh! If Meghan wanted her there, she would have had an invitation…”What Meghan wants, Meghan gets.”

I didn’t read the curtsying as mocking of someone else’s culture. I read it as being nonplussed that she would be expected to curtsy. If you’re not used to that kind of deference, it’s going to seem weird.

Likewise with the hugging. She wasn’t mocking W and K’s formality. Honestly I thought she was saying that she assumed things would be less formal and that she was awkward in that moment.

If Harry talked about dressing as a Nazi did no one think to ask why he used a racial slur when in the army?

Beautifully put, especially about the consent part.

There's definitely a cultural gap. In my experience, most Americans are (in general) much less reserved and much more open to things like hugging than most Brits are. And upper-class Brits are even more reserved again. For some of them, a handshake is as much as they can take. Or maybe, when it's a good friend, a collegial pat on the shoulder. But a hug?! Good heavens, absolutely not.

I’ll agree that Americans are less reserved.

But- as an American- plenty of people don’t hug people they don’t know. I don’t. In my experience- there is usually an established relationship before hugging. It’s not something that is done when meeting someone for the first time- most of the time. It sure isn’t my go- to or anyone I know. Shaking hands is common for an introduction. Not hugging.

I would have been taken aback in Catherine and William’s shoes.

I find Meghan’s shock strange.

I hope they do not live to regret opening up all their private lives , Pandoras box is now open.

It is now clear why they shared very little of the children over the past few years, it was all being saved up for this.

Some of this is really personal stuff.

Also the niece who claims the palace banned her from the wedding. I do not understand this at all. The couple did not wish to invite the extended royal family who normally go to these things and they were not over ruled for that so why would they be told that a niece who nobody had heard of and could have slipped into the congregation unnoticed had to be rejected.
Her mothers family according to Meghan had handled everything well unlike the fathers side, but they were excluded as well. None of this makes sense.

We don’t know that Meghan’s family was excluded. We don’t have the entire guest list, so we don’t know who may have been there under the radar.

I thought they advised her not to invite Ashleigh because of A’s birth mother.

I watched all three episodes. HRHHermione did a fine job with her summaries of the first two. Thanks, HRHH!

Just a few observations here.

I thought that the background music was very distracting and unpleasant. It failed to set a mood or enhance the narrative.

Meghan's make up for the set interview pieces was distracting. It seemed thick and poorly applied.

I thought it was hypocritical of Harry to be complaining about consent for photographing his children when moments before, a previously unpublished photo containing images of George and Charlotte was shown.

Finally, Meghan is a bit too young and unaccomplished to warrant that trip down memory lane in LA, looking at the places she grew up in and revisiting old schools and teachers. That was a bad choice of activity for this project. Johnny Carson and Paul McCartney did their hometown visits after decades of achievements and legendary status.

Something else that stuck out: from the beginning of this relationship, one of the very widely spread rumors was that a large degree of any hesitancy to warm to Meghan from Harry’s family had to do with Meghan’s habit of documenting everything via photo or video. This gossip has, for well before the time the couple actually left, been undergirded with the hint that people felt Meghan was “saving up” these recollections for… well, exactly what she just did.

This documentary so far has confirmed, to me, that the first part of this is likely true (although previously I had dismissed it as totally unsubstantiated).

The biggest reveal from today has to be the sheer amount that this couple has documented their every move.

Meghan clearly loves to document everything— we see this from her life before she met Harry. It’s easy to understand how this habit would make the rest of the family highly uncomfortable. Of course, neither side of this coin is right or wrong- but I can see how it could, and probably did, cause a lot of discomfort.

It’s also yet another rumbling about the couple that has, in due course, been proved to be dead on.

Plenty of Americans don’t just hug people they don’t know. Starting with myself. It should not have been a shock to Meghan that everyone is not a hugger. That’s not a cultural issue imo. That’s a Meghan one. (This is what she wants to talk about?! Really. Seems absurd to me. Plenty of Americans will find HER response off putting.)

Agreed on complaining about curtsying and bowing. It’s their way. Move on. Japan is a great example of another culture that is more formal.

Again- this is what she wants to talk about? She thinks this is worth talking about to a world wide audience? She and I have a different definition of relevant information.

I have learned more about Meghan. It’s not an image improvement.

Honestly- it’s too bad Harry and Meghan don’t understand the value of keeping their mouths shut and not sharing everything. But Meghan herself says she likes to talk. That I believe.

Obviously her intention was to draw a contrast between how down-to-earth
and a "people's person" she is and how "stiff" and formal William and Kate are. What would be the point otherwise of telling the world that she was barefoot and wearing ripped jeans when she first met the Cambridges and all but implying that they were shocked by that?

The parts about googling the national anthem and asking Harry if he was kidding about curtsying are in turn just silly. The whole narrative sounds very fake/artificial and badly acted, although I am not disputing it is factual. I have a bad habit of normally believing people.

Something else that stuck out: from the beginning of this relationship, one of the very widely spread rumors was that a large degree of any hesitancy to warm to Meghan from Harry’s family had to do with Meghan’s habit of documenting everything via photo or video. This gossip has, for well before the time the couple actually left, been undergirded with the hint that people felt Meghan was “saving up” these recollections for… well, exactly what shwe just did.

I find it very telling that, in Meghan's own letter to her school principal, which she wrote to her when she left the school, she mentions something like, if I recall it correctly from the docu-series, "when I become rich and famous and tell my story, I will mention you and you will become known in the whole world" (not the exact words that were said, but the same meaning).

Although it is not fair to hold people to things they say or write as teenagers, it sheds some light on what Meghan's early life goals were and how different those goals are from royal life, which is not about getting rich and famous, much less telling your story to the whole world.

Last edited:
Having just seen a clip in which a "pap" is meant to be following on a motorcycle I am confused. Where's the motor cycle? Is this meant to be a reconstruction?

Obviously her intention was to draw a contrast between how down-to-earth
and a "people's person" she is and how "stiff" and formal William and Kate are. What would be the point otherwise of telling the world that she was barefoot and wearing ripped jeans when she first met the Cambridges and all but implying that they were shocked by that.

The parts about googling the national anthem and asking Harry if he was kidding about curtsying are in turn just silly. The whole narrative sounds very fake/artificial and badly acted, although I am not disputing it is factual. I have a bad habit of normally believing people.

She definitely wants to come across as down to earth. She actually sounds judgmental and pretty unaware of basic social American norms to me.

She didn’t have shoes on? I missed that part. That sounds odd to me- not laid back. (I know some cultures have you take off your shoes when you walk in the door, but I don’t think that’s what she was going for.)

Meghan likes ripped jeans- okay. It’s a sloppy look to me, but whatever. That’s my fashion sense.

I didn’t read the curtsying as mocking of someone else’s culture. I read it as being nonplussed that she would be expected to curtsy. If you’re not used to that kind of deference, it’s going to seem weird.

Likewise with the hugging. She wasn’t mocking W and K’s formality. Honestly I thought she was saying that she assumed things would be less formal and that she was awkward in that moment.

The way she showed how deep she curtsied made Harry visibly uncomfortable, so it seems he thought she was mocking this part of his family tradition.

That it was discussed in itself is of course not 'mocking' - but just showing how someone entering the family needs to learn many customs that they weren't familiar with before meeting their royal boyfriend/girlfriend (but I am sure that also applied to Autumn, Catherine, Mike, Jack and Edo (the latter might have been most familiar with their traditions prior to starting a relationship with one of the queen's grandchildren)).

Recap 3, again in (at least) two parts. My apologies for the length, but these last two episodes had a lot in them, and I didn't want to bias discussion by leaving out context.

List of those interviewed in Episode 3 (aside from Harry and Meghan):
David Olusoga, Author Black and British. Afua Hirsch, Journalist and Author, Brit(ish). James Holt, Executive Director of Archewell. Daniel Martin, Meghan's makeup artist and friend. Mandana Dayani. Interestingly, she is identified on screen as only "friend" but until recently, she was the President of Archewell.

Tim Burt, Strategic Advisor to Archewell and Vice Chairman, Teneo. Lindsay Roth, Meghan's friend. Susan Willinger, Meghan's childhood friend. Ashleigh Hale, Immigration Attorney and "Meg's Niece". Nicky, Harry's childhood friend. Serena Williams, Meghan's friend and tennis superstar. Kehinde Andrews, author, The New Age of Empire. Lucy Fraser, Meghan's friend.

Not So Brief Recap: This episode opens with footage of their formal engagement interview, which Meghan describes as an orchestrated reality show. She says it was very rehearsed. Media reaction is covered, including a line about how Prince Harry is probably the most popular member of the royal family. Footage of their engagement interview continues, and public reactions from the royal family sharing that they are thrilled for the couple are included. The part of the engagement interview where they specifically highlighted Catherine as being "absolutely fantastic" and the bit where Meghan says his family have been very welcoming are replayed. The question about if the combination of their backgrounds represent something new for the Royal Family is juxtaposed against images of the Queen visiting Commonwealth countries and being cheered by people of color. Meghan says that her point (re: the engagement interview being staged) is that they weren't allowed to tell their story, and Harry says they were never allowed to tell their story, that's the consistent thing. Then they say until now, and the director says "I guess that's why we're here" and the couple agree.

David Olusoga, author of Black and British, shares that no one would dream they could have a Black British princess. He says it was a hugely improbable conclusion to history and was astonishing. He discusses the role Britain played in modern history, going into the empire and the cost of colonialism. Afua Hirsch, Journalist and Author of Brit(ish), talks about how the British empire was just as brutal and enslaved more Africans than the American South and the United States. She points to the history of the Caribbean and Jamaica and says that it was out of sight and out of mind despite the major economic impact on the British empire. They talk about slavers being personally financed by Queen Elizabeth I, and talks about the history of the Royal Family financing and supporting slavery up until George III when the slave trade was abolished by Britain. Olusoga talks about how in school in Britain, he only learned about the abolition, not the more difficult aspects of history, including that slave owners were compensated at the time of the abolition. He says the memory of British slavery has been airbrushed out of Britain's story.

James Holt discusses how he was oblivious to the history and legacy and talks about the celebration of colonial power and Britain's history of global importance. Olusoga says that Black and Brown people did not come to live in Britain in large numbers until the post-World War II labor shortage when many were recruited from Caribbean countries. Olusoga felt Harry and Meghan's engagement could be the moment when the Royal Family caught up with the rest of Britain as multicultural and multiracial.

Coverage of Meghan and Harry's first official walkabout is shown. Meghan says she did not know what a walkabout was and had never seen any photos. Harry says he could help with some of it, but could not advise her about the style and presentation women in the family need to know. Their first engagement was chaotic behind the scenes. They share interviews with many Black women who came specifically to see Meghan and Harry discusses how excited and pleased people were and says they thought of Meghan as a breath of fresh air. Harry says "I thought to myself, what a dream. I have found a woman that not necessarily finds this easy but is able to do it and make it look easy." More positive headlines are shown.

Meghan shares behind the scenes of her in New York being made up for an event by her friend, and shares that Archie loves "Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John. Mandana Dayani and Meghan discuss prep for something, which involves discussing accounts that say negative things about her. (Personal note- It seems very staged as a conversation.) Meghan says "Mostly 'royal experts'" and Dayani responds that she doesn't know what that means. She opines that "someone can just call themselves a royal expert" and Harry explains it's the same as being a royal correspondent which newspapers use to establish credibility about stories on the family. Harry says the only point of it is to lead legitimacy to those stories and says royal correspondents are part of the PR of the royal family. He says there's been an agreement there for over 30 years.

Tim Burt, Strategic Advisor to Archewell, explains a "special relationship" between the tabloids and the royal family and says there's an unwritten contract between the press and the royal family. He goes into taxpayer money funding the family and describes it as "we pay, you pose." Harry says if someone is part of the royal rota, they have priority to stories over everyone else. Harry says the royal rota believes the royal family is theirs to exploit and their narrative to control. Footage of Charles talking about the press is shown. Afua says that Harry and William are the first generation to grow up under that tabloid contract and that being born into a contractual relationship with the British media isn't fair. James Holt says that photographers told them that Harry didn't perform for them anymore, and he regrets telling Harry and Meghan to play the game. Holt says if you don't "play the game" you fall out of favor, and any opportunity to highlight the negative is taken. Holt says "Imagine all these people who have published horrible things about you, you have to perform for them." Holt says with Meghan there was no limit, anyone was fair game. This segues into her friends talking about how media would reach to people close to her.

Doria felt unsafe and couldn't walk her dogs or go to work unfollowed. She felt stalked by the paparazzi. Meghan says she believed that the U.K. media wanted her mom's side of the family to be difficult, but her mom is classy and quiet. The other side of Meghan's family though, " is just acting differently. My half sister who I haven't seen for over a decade and that was for a day and a half, and all of a sudden she was everywhere." It covers the Samantha headlines and Doria and Meghan say that Meghan has no real childhood memories of Tom's kids. Ashleigh Hale, Meghan's niece and Samantha's daughter is then interviewed. She describes Samantha as her "biological mother" and notes that she was raised by her grandparents from age 2 years old and she was ultimately adopted by them. Ashleigh has not seen Samantha since she was six, but they reconnected later in life in 2007. Ashleigh and Megan connected via email and developed a relationship. They were quite close when Meghan was on Suits and they went on vacation to New Orleans together. They talk about how important their connection was and Meghan says she wanted to protect Ashleigh from the media. Ashleigh says that Samantha resented Meghan and she seemed to get angrier, until they stopped talking.

They then move to Meghan's first Christmas at Sandringham and Harry's comment that the family was like the family she's never had. Meghan says she remembers calling her mom and telling her it was amazing. She said it was a big family like she always wanted, and there was constant movement and energy and fun. "At dinner, I sat next to H's grandfather, and I thought it went really well and later H was like 'You had his bad ear, he didn't hear anything you said' and she laughed because she'd thought it had gone really well. Then they go into the headlines about Princess Michael's "Blackamoor" brooch and the racial undertones.
Afua Hirsch says the story did not surprise her because "one of the realities of life in Britain is that if you go into a palace or stately home or anywhere that represents tradition, you are likely to be faced with racist imagery. There are murals on the wall and carvings on the ceiling that depict enslaved people in a way that glorifies the institution of slavery." She says you could say it's a small thing, a brooch, and she didn't mean anything by it- but that it's a skeleton in the closet.

Harry says "in this family, sometimes you're part of the problem rather than part of the solution. And there is a huge level of unconscious bias. The thing with unconscious bias is it's no one's fault, but once it’s been pointed out, you then need to make it right. It's education. It's awareness. And it's a constant work in progress for everyone, including me." This is how they lead into past stories of Harry's Nazi uniform, which he describes as one of the biggest mistakes of his life that he felt so ashamed about after. He talks about meeting with the chief rabbi in London and meeting a Holocaust survivor and he says he learned from that. The implication is that his family has not.

Misan Harriman says that Harry is not dissimilar from boys he went to school with who were in an echo chamber of absolute privilege, but that once you step out of that you realize there's a much bigger world. There's a video of Meghan and Harry on a military base after they left the royal family, making a visit. He talks about his ten years of service and how it gave him a lived experience other members of his family wouldn't have had. He said he grew up pretty fast in Afghanistan and says "jeez I went to war twice." He says the people he met and the lifelong friends were his second family, and there are still scars leftover from his mum's awesomeness, showing archival footage of him talking about a letter William sent in Afghanistan talking about how proud she would be of him. He says that working and living with normal people had an effect on him, before he met Meghan. The military base they visited honored him for his discussion of mental health. This is an American Air Force base visited sometime after they left. Meghan was also honored by a Black woman in the Air Force, though they aren't clear about what.

From there, they show Harry and Meghan and William and Kate at the first Royal Foundation event after Meghan and Harry's engagement, focusing on the bit where Meghan's thoughts and issues are spotlighted. Tim Burt says it's important to remember that the royal family deliberately champions causes that are non-controversial. He says Meghan was more of an activist. She says she didn't know that would be taboo to talk about it and thought it would just be topical. Then they share the footage about having disagreements from that engagement and make it clear it was more serious as a disagreement than they laughed off on stage.

Meghan says "Joining this family, I knew there was a protocol for how things would be done. Do you remember that old movie, The Princess Diaries, with Anne Hathaway? Meghan says there's no class on it and then lists all the protocol to learn. She says she needed to learn a lot, including the National Anthem, which she says she googles. Harry says the press invented a lot of protocols. Meghan says it was baptism by fire.

The behind the scenes fitting for Meghan's red dress worn in New York are shown, the one worn to the Intrepid gallery. Meghan says in the UK she rarely wore color because you shouldn't wear the same color as the Queen at a group event but then you should also never be wearing the same color as one of the other more senior members of the family. So Meghan said she asked her self what colors they'd never wear- she decided camel, beige and white- and she tried to blend in rather than standing out. She said she did everything she could to fit in and not embarrass the family. Then it cuts to Samantha Markle and the headlines about her. Meghan says they played whack a mole every day on negative stories. She said the stories were salacious and it got scary- sharing that a white substance was sent through a letter. The security for the wedding scared her. She said behind the scenes she was "turtling" and hiding. Ashleigh, her niece, says communication with Meghan got much less frequent and Ashleigh felt her relationships were being managed. James Holt explains the royal press office and the communications team and how they are structured and that the comms teams responsibility is to the principle player.

Harry says "Our comms team at the time was joined with my brother's office, so in total we only had one person dedicated to us and it was a huge undertaking." Meghan says no one understands what that very small comms team was dealing with. She says she was guided not to invite Ashleigh to her wedding because it would be too hard to explain why she was invited and Samantha wasn't. Meghan said it was painful.

Serena Williams talks about how excited she was for the wedding and how in love Meghan and Harry were. The invite to the evening reception is showed for the first time.

The history of the Commonwealth is detailed, and they talk about Britain's strategic role in "the transition from colonialism to independence" in Commonwealth countries. Afua Hirsch says "Britain calculated that it needed to grant these countries independence in a way that protected its commercial and capitalist interest, so it creates this privileged club of formerly colonized nations and called the Commonwealth." They then talk about how the Queen made the Commonwealth her life's mission and she fought hard for it, and show excerpts of her Commonwealth speeches. Afua Hirsch says she calls the Commonwealth "Empire 2.0" because that's what it is. Kehinde Andrews, Author The New Age of Empire, says the Commonwealth means nothing has really changed, they've just got better PR. He says for Black people in the Commonwealth, conditions are almost as bad as they were 50 or 100 years ago. Afua says the roots of their poverty is that their wealth is extracted elsewhere, and is linked to wealth in Britain now. Against this, they show William meeting with members of the Commonwealth countries in one of the palaces. They talk about how Meghan looked like people who lived in the Commonwealth and represented new hope.

Then they show Meghan and Harry marking the 25th anniversary of Stephen Lawrence's death and talk about that history and the discussions it provoked about structural racism. They talk about how meaningful it was to Black communities in Britain to hear Meghan and Harry commemorate that and Afua Hirsch states Prince Harry has really done the educational work needed to transform himself into an anti-racist.

Then they show the footage just before the wedding, and talk about the tabloids trying to pay people for stories. Meghan says the week before the wedding they got the story about Thomas staging photos for the press for money. James Holt says the photos were innocuous enough and he thought the one of Thomas looking at the book of British history was kind of sweet at first until he realized it was a set up. Meghan says she tried to call her dad to find out if it was true, and her dad said it was not true that he was staging the photos for money from the tabloids, Meghan says she offered to send someone to the house to get him out before the press swarmed, and Thomas said no because he had things to do. Meghan said it felt cagey and didn't make sense. Meghan said she didn't believe him. Doria says she was stunned Thomas Markle became part of the circus. Meghan said the relationship fell apart that week because he wasn't answering her calls and talking to TMZ. She found out he wasn't coming to the wedding through the tabloids. She couldn't get him to answer the phone after his heart attack. The texts between her and her dad are displayed on screen, and she says she was suspicious because the text didn't sound like him and it called her Meghan which he has never called her. She says her parents and all her friends call her Meg.

Harry says its sad because she had a father before this and then she didn't have one, and he says if Meghan wasn't with him, her dad would still be her dad, so he shouldered that.

They show the royal wedding will be in 24 hours, and then the episode ends.

Potential spots of controversy: Harry states that the press pack of royal correspondents are essentially just an extended PR arm of the royal family. Given the negative coverage by some of these journalists of other family members, this is likely to be controversial. Harry's claims of a huge level of unconscious bias in members of the Royal Family. Harry's insinuation that he is the only family member who lived and worked in a normal environment and learned of his privilege. Harry's implication that the staff really only worked for William and he and Meghan only had one person in the lead up to the wedding. The history of the Commonwealth that's provided that insinuates it maintains colonial interests in the present day- that's explosive given Harry and Meghan's former leadership roles. The continued focus on Meghan as the person who could have bridged that gap between Britain in the Commonwealth because of her background.

Just watched part of the first episode. If this is their "truth," their truth is really boring.

She definitely wants to come across as down to earth. She actually sounds judgmental and pretty unaware of basic social American norms to me.

She didn’t have shoes on? I missed that part. That sounds odd to me- not laid back. (I know some cultures have you take off your shoes when you walk in the door, but I don’t think that’s what she was going for.)

Meghan likes ripped jeans- okay. It’s a sloppy look to me, but whatever. That’s my fashion sense.

Yes, unless I misheard it, I recall her saying she was barefoot. I found that odd because it is not something people normally do when they meet prospective in-laws for the first time. On the contrary, many people I know are actually a bit "unnatural" when meeting a boyfriend's or a girlfriend's family for the first time as they try to make a "good impression".

But what caught my attention was not so much that she was barefoot (even though that was odd) or what she was wearing, but rather that she made a point of mentioning it in a scripted documentary.

Here's review from the Telegraph (which, as Harry stated, not a tabloid so should be valid right?)

Harry, Meghan and the Half-Truth Prince: an unashamedly one-sided story

And they really go that way with the title :lol:
For what it's worth, I get the impression that this Harry does seem to think that he's The Chosen One. More so, he also seems to have beef with "You-Know-Who" and "He-Shall-Not-Be-Named".

Next:
- Harry and the Prisoner of Windsor (in reference to his trapped father and brother)
- Harry and Palace of Secret (the courtiers aka the men in black)

One only has to go back a few years to an interview that Harry and Prince William gave on the 20th Anniversary of there mother's death to see how fast and loose he is with the truth. In this docu-series he says“a young boy who was trying to deal with the loss of his mother without any support or guidance”,
Yet, Harry said in the 20th Anniversary interview that his father "was there for us (he and Prince William), he tried to make sure we were protected". The interview went on to say that both princes supported the Queen's decision to keep them in Scotland way from the public and press. All of it is here in this youtube clip:
Youtube video

HRHHermione, thank you so much for the detailed account of each episode. I really appreciate your attempts to be unbiased, and note when you are inserting your own thoughts. Job well done!

Afua Hirsch is a well known commentator in the UK. And Guardian journalist.

None of these views are surprising & she, along with David Olusoga, is one of the usual talking heads I talked about near the start of this thread before the actual broadcast.

David Olusoga is undoubtedly a more respected individual but his perspectives on some issues are not shared by all historians. History is after all a contested space.

So their claim is the palace wouldn’t allow anyone from Meghan’s mother’s side of the family at the wedding except her mother?

This really doesn’t make sense, especially as you say, in light of Harry’s extended family not being invited. Or- that William specifically said his grandmother was flexible about HIS invite list

I watched that episode and what I got from that particular incident was that Meghan’s half sister had been so difficult and had spoken to the media with complaints about her. So it was suggested to Meghan by Palace staff that ‘it would be better’ that if she was left off the guest list then her daughter should be too.

Plenty of Americans don’t just hug people they don’t know. Starting with myself. It should not have been a shock to Meghan that everyone is not a hugger. That’s not a cultural issue imo. That’s a Meghan one. (This is what she wants to talk about?! Really. Seems absurd to me. Plenty of Americans will find HER response off putting.)

Agreed on complaining about curtsying and bowing. It’s their way. Move on. Japan is a great example of another culture that is more formal.

Again- this is what she wants to talk about? She thinks this is worth talking about to a world wide audience? She and I have a different definition of relevant information.

I have learned more about Meghan. It’s not an image improvement.

Honestly- it’s too bad Harry and Meghan don’t understand the value of keeping their mouths shut and not sharing everything. But Meghan herself says she likes to talk. That I believe.

You are exactly correct. Also, here is a video below of Kate hugging one of the midwives that delivered Princess Charlotte. Kate knew this woman, but she did not know Meghan very well, so it makes perfect sense she would not have hugged her. It is just basic respect to not invade another person's personal space if you don't know them well. I feel that Meghan just lacks basic respect for people who are different than her--the very thing she accuses others of.
VIDEO

Last edited:
I only watched a third of the first episode and I’m already bored. I find everything to be overdramatized and scripted and, sorry, fake. Like in bad acting fake. All the people who are interviewed are either friends of Meghan or their staff, no “neutral” party. And their relationship seems unbalanced to me. It’s all about how splendidly perfect and ingenue she is and how smitten and… indebted he is with her and to her. She seems to believe she is the star of the family.
Also, the brexit/immigration thing. The immigration part of brexit was about eastern europeans. People from the commonwealth were not covered by EU regulations and were not affected by brexit. Free movement and right to work within EU was sold by brexiteers as being bad for UK. Tell me you have no idea what you’re talking about without telling me you have no idea.
Another thing that bothered me was that it is so american centric. If you want to be believed that you are a travelled person, you don’t find cultural differences and national customs strange and laughable, you know better to respect what those people value.
Lastly, if you want to live in another country than your own, remember: when in Rome do as the Romans!

From there, they show Harry and Meghan and William and Kate at the first Royal Foundation event after Meghan and Harry's engagement, focusing on the bit where Meghan's thoughts and issues are spotlighted. Tim Burt says it's important to remember that the royal family deliberately champions causes that are non-controversial. He says Meghan was more of an activist. She says she didn't know that would be taboo to talk about it and thought it would just be topical. Then they share the footage about having disagreements from that engagement and make it clear it was more serious as a disagreement than they laughed off on stage.

Just to add a bit of context, if I remember it correctly (I didn't take notes), Meghan is shown in this event talking about women having a voice, but needing encouragement (or being empowered?) to use it, and then she goes on to mention the "Me Too" movement. That is when it is said that neither Kate nor Camilla, nor any other member of the Family had ever mentioned something like "Me Too" explicitly before, since, according to the comment, they are non-political and only champion causes that are non-controversial, while Meghan would be more of an activist. Meghan is then shown (in the present) reminiscing about that particular joint appearance with the Cambridges and saying she had no idea that what she was saying (implicitly, mentioning "Me Too") would be controversial as that appeared purely "topical" to her at the time.

Just to add a bit of context, if I remember it correctly (I didn't take notes), Meghan is shown in this event talking about women having a voice, but needing encouragement (or being empowered?) to use it, and then she goes on to mention the "Me Too" movement. That is when it is said that neither Kate nor Camilla, nor any other member of the Family had ever mentioned something like "Me Too" explicitly before, since, according to the comment, they are non-political and only champion causes that are non-controversial, while Meghan would be more of an activist. Meghan is then shown (in the present) reminiscing about that particular joint appearance with the Cambridges and saying she had no idea that what she was saying (implicitly, mentioning "Me Too") would be controversial as that appeared purely "topical" to her at the time.

Yes, this is correct. It actually confirms reporting by Bowers and others that this event and the focus on Meghan during what was meant to be a joint engagement for the four was a source of conflict behind the scenes.

I’m still processing it all, but I think what’s standing out to me the most is that this was very ineffective at refuting the reporting done by Bowers and by Valentine Low. I think this is explained by the fact that Bowers published in late July 2022 and Low didn’t publish until October 2022. The first episode of Harry & Meghan notes that all interviews were complete by August 2022- not enough time to reshape the narrative.

I finished watching the three episodes and since it has been dissected better by fellow forum members, I'll narrow down my review to production quality, editing and the heavily edited storytellers themselves Meghan and Harry.

Production quality:
Netflix and Rory Kennedy's company do know how to create a narrative guided documentary that will sure headline Awards in 2023. From the start to the end the music is melancholic, with lots of pauses and silence. I have to say without joking the Harry narration start made me think I was watching the zombie movie 28 Days Later within Masterpiece Theater. Overall is a beautifully edited documentary.

Cons on the above: it's extremely one sided, edited beyond recognition where neither Meghan nor Harry get to finish a sentence without a camera angle change. That means lots of it was edited out and what was left was for shock value.

The Editing: Netflix is selling a show.
For example, Meghan mentions Kate's behavior when they met but it stops to make sure Kate is presented as a snob. I assume Meghan elaborated and told other stories with them just chatting and Kate probably helping Meghan. But if it didn't fit the Rory Kennedy narrative it was probably edited out. Neither Meghan nor Harry control the production's narrative, and that was shown on clips placing Kate in the center of the royals twice: in the parade and at the balcony. That is 100% the editor's doing.

The storytellers themselves Meghan and Harry
Despite being heavily edited on every single answer to create drama as music played on, I have to say I believe their point of view about persecution, the trauma and isolation and their lack of understanding they are not private citizens. Especially Harry.

I believed Meghan when she addressed the problem with the half-sister, the lady that changed her name back to Markle and dyed her hair brunette to look like this person she never had a relationship with. This was disturbing, that half-sister is like out of a Stephen King novel.

I also believed her with her recollection on her father's antics for tabloid money as the wedding day approached. He did admit to this and apologized. A very creepy moment was when she recalled she thought she was talking to him by text, and it was a stranger on her father's line insulting her. A stranger that refused to pick up the cell when Harry called the number on that same moment.

So that's my review and I hope I was neutral and fair. If anyone is to blame for editing is not M&H, who had no say on it, but producer Rory Kennedy and staff.

Overall, I see their lives as endless persecution from the Murdoch owned tabloid media. This series did not really attack up front King Charles, just declared war on the UK tabloids. And that will be a losing battle in the end.

I wish them the best...until I see the next three episodes and hope the producer gives it a rest making Kate a target.

Last edited:
Biggest irony here is that the reason for all this perceived formality, stiffness, whatever in this particular family is their fear of- well, exactly what happened. Someone being let in “too fast” and using that access to exploit them.

Goodness gracious, the reason Catherine didn’t run up to Meghan barefoot in jeans and hug her isn’t because Catherine never wears ripped jeans and hug people upon greeting them because she’s so formal.

It’s because she is sensitive to letting people in too soon and having them, say, run to Netflix and give an interview about how The Duchess of Cambridge wore ripped jeans and embraced them in a loving hug. So it is becoming very evident to everyone else but Meghan, it seems, that people acted that way around her because they rightly did not trust her.

Biggest irony here is that the reason for all this perceived formality, stiffness, whatever in this particular family is their fear of- well, exactly what happened. Someone being let in “too fast” and using that access to exploit them.

Goodness gracious, the reason Catherine didn’t run up to Meghan barefoot in jeans and hug her isn’t because Catherine never wears ripped jeans and hug people upon greeting them because she’s so formal.

It’s because she is sensitive to letting people in too soon and having them, say, run to Netflix and give an interview about how The Duchess of Cambridge wore ripped jeans and embraced them in a loving hug. So it is becoming very evident to everyone else but Meghan, it seems, that people acted that way around her because they rightly did not trust her.

This point can’t be stated enough. Catherine has been in the public eye since she was a very young woman, and there have been no accounts of her acting snobbish or grand during that time. When you hear stories of her in public, it’s how she slips in quietly to a pub for lunch or how she invited Berkshire locals she’d known to her wedding. The only photos that came out of her early in her marriage were pushing a trolley at Tesco or walking on the beach with her sister.

She’s, understandably, extremely private. I always wrote off the gossip that the origin of the rift between the two women was her discomfort with Meghan’s tendency to document and photograph private moments. However, I’m reassessing that given I’ve just seen a video of Meghan calling friends and recording it as her engagement was happening.

I wondered if Meghan has a relationship with her niece, Ashleigh then why wasn’t she at the wedding? I don’t completely believe the excuse that the palace advised them not to invite her because of Samantha Markle. It’s convenient that she’s now being brought up at this stage.

I don’t see the point of David Olusoga and Afua talking about empire in this?

Also didn’t Princess Michael of Kent already apologize for the brooch so why bring it up?

If Harry felt that men in the family marry someone who fits into the institution then why bring Meghan into the situation when you know she wouldn’t fit?

It seems that they still want to present Meghan as the savior of the royal family whom they needed to keep up with the times... And clearly, them being mostly concerned about her being an American actress, shows that what she thought was her unique selling point but also a point of contention for them was just a 'matter of fact' and not considered problematic (if anything they might have seen it as an asset). However, unfortunately, she has shown to be very full of herself (with both a 'savior' and 'victim' complex it seems) and very little interested in truly serving the institution she decided to marry into.

And I'm surprised that they think that people don't understand that a prerecorded engagement interview is somewhat rehearsed and not completely spontaneous. So, not sure which record needs to be set straight. Did anyone claim that it was completely spontaneous?

Liz Garbus has given an interview with the NYT. Some highlights.

Encouraged by friends to document their dramatic decision to “step back” as senior members of the British royal family and assert their financial independence, Harry and Meghan shot more than 15 hours of personal video in the early months of 2020 as they finalized their plans to exit Buckingham Palace for good. Then they shared it all with Ms. Garbus and her husband, the producer Dan Cogan.

Filming began in November 2021 and ended in July, months before the death of Queen Elizabeth II. When asked if Harry and Meghan had control over the final product, Ms. Garbus said it was a collaboration. When pressed as to whether the couple had final approval over the series, she responded: “It was a collaboration. You can keep asking me, but that’s what I’ll say.”

The documentarian Garrett Bradley was previously attached to the project, but the two sides parted ways because Ms. Bradley’s vérité style did not mesh with the couple’s interests. Representatives for Ms. Bradley declined to comment.

Ms. Garbus said that Harry and Meghan were interested in telling their love story within the historical context of the British monarchy. Ms. Garbus wanted to expand on that and explore how their personal pasts affected their present.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/08/business/media/netflix-harry-meghan-documentary.html

I'm curious as to whether the BRF and their offices watched the documentary.

So far everything's been harmless, but there's next weeks episodes. So who knows?
This isn't going to bode well for them.

I'm curious as to whether the BRF and their offices watched the documentary.

So far everything's been harmless, but there's next weeks episodes. So who knows?
This isn't going to bode well for them.

I would say that there’s almost no chance that this was not watched at the second it was released by every communications professional who serves the royal family in any capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom