Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did feel there was an element of mockery in her tone there.

If she was unprepared for her role then Harry needs to look at himself.

She’s definitely explaining with a mockery tone, she’s playing for the american audience though.

I haven't watched it, but I have watched video clips and read accounts in a couple of different Media outlets.

My first reaction is yawn. They sound like self obsessed teenagers, especially over using the word "like". So far the initial Meeting AND actual Proposal is AGAIN different from what they said initially.

Nice put down about the excitement many felt (I did !) around their Engagement Announcement as an " Orchestrated Reality Show". That is so dismissive, just like when She referred to their Wedding in The Oprah Interview as "a spectacle".

As expected the 'Diana Card' was used a lot too.
How much Harry believes Meghan is SO LIKE her. Good luck pushing that narrative Harry. Nobody else from Diana's Sisters to The Public is buying that.

Subtle "digs" at cold and formal Kate were unsurprising made. And of course the big deal about curtsying to the Queen, upon meeting her, Why ? She seems to love to bring that story up.....again.

Then comparing the luncheon at Royal Lodge to a antiquated banquet at Medieval Times, a Dinner Theater. That is downright bizarre and preposterous.
Royal Lodge isn't thousand year old Windsor Castles St George's Hall, where State Dinners are held, complete with surroundings of gorgeous medieval "finery" all around. IT is a thoroughly updated and luxurious modern Royal Home.
Why even go there with that.

I do find the commentary very interesting and thanks to all for different viewpoints. So far, and this early, I'm not seeing ANYTHING to change minds one way or another. But I do really wonder if The Sussex's think this Netflix Series is helpful to them? I don't and I think they are over saturating the market and interest in them.

What was said about Catherine and who said it? Thanks!

The engagement announcement was an: Orchestrated reality show? That seems unnecessarily nasty. And, yes, dismissive. What exactly has she been doing for the last few years anyway- including now? Putting on a show.

Can anyone tell why this was broken into 2 parts? Is there some kind of dramatic ending to part 1?

Agreed- “Meghan is just like Diana” is not a narrative people are going to agree with.

Can’t say I’m surprised their story has changed this time regarding their relationship beginnings. Lol Totally expected.

Well one interesting gem from this docu-series so far is I guess Charles is actually off the hook for how Harry, H, Haz turned out.

Previously, in the Oprah Interview we were told that Charles "parenting" was soooo bad Harry needed, to "break the cycle of pain" .....mumbo jumbo.
He also said something similar with in the Dax Shepard Podcast about "genetic pain and suffering being passed down in his Family".
Well......it NOW seems, according to Harry himself that he actually "has a second family out there and group of friends THAT LITERALLY BROUGHT ME UP".
Does he have any clue how foolish he comes off in this comedy ?

Fom what Im reading, this 3 part series is just being mocked as nonsense. Laughable and sad. Very Kardashian.

But I believe that this is just " the appetizer " . The "main course", with the damaging allegations and controversy will be in next Thursday's installment.
With some type of cliffhanger.
Meghan, didn't grow up in Hollywood for nothing......

Last edited:
I read most of the Daily Mail article on this series until it began to repeat itself. The statement I find most interesting is this one: " the family were not approached for comment on content in the six-part series in a devastating blow to its credibility." As far as credibility goes, it is Harry and Meghan's credibility that this series is a blow to, not that they have demonstrated any credibility. There will be a few die-hard Harry and Meghan fans that will hang on their every word, but I believe for the most part, people will see it for what it it--a public temper tantrum because they were told NO about having their cake and eating it too.

I've just finished Episode 1, and I took notes to share here. I am planning to do the same for other episodes if it's helpful to members.

List of those interviewed in Episode 1 (aside from Harry and Meghan): Lindsay Roth, Meghan's friend. Lucy Fraser, Meghan's friend. Jill Smoller, Meghan's friend. Silver Tree, Meghan's friend. Nacho Figueras, Harry's Polo friend. James Holt, the executive director of Archewell. Afua Hirsh, British journalist and author. Robert Hazell, author, The Role of Monarchy in Modern Democracy. A man called "Nicky" whose last name is not included, who is identified as Harry's childhood friend from Eton. Prince Seeiso of Lesotho, Harry's friend. Abigail Spencer, Meghan's friend (and Suits castmate)

Logistical Information from Episode 1:
The show opens with the information that all interviews were completed by August 2022 and that members of the royal family declined to comment on the content of the series. The second part is currently being disputed by press officials, who claim they were not given the opportunity to comment.

Show Opening credits: Music plays and images are displayed of Prince Charles at his investiture of Prince of Wales, Queen Elizabeth II at her coronation, a baby Harry with Diana, Princess of Wales and a baby Meghan with her mother, Doria Ragland. Then the couple with Archie, press taking photos, William and Harry together as teenagers, the infamous shot of the two of them in the rain under the umbrella looking happy, and some photo booth photos of them embracing and kissing. Several shots of them in California and Lili taking her fist steps, as well as the image of the Queen at Archie's christening. Archie chasing some birds, final shot of the family.

Brief Recap: This episode primarily covered how Harry and Meghan met and their early dating life, including the well-known fact that they had met each other only twice before their trip to Botswana, which is when their relationship became serious, though Harry says he felt he fell in love with her long-distance before that. Harry discusses his early childhood, with a particular focus on his family's relationship with the media. He says they often tried to strike bargains for photo calls with the idea they'd be left alone after, but that they were almost always still pursued. The footage used to illustrate this is the photo call of Harry, William, Beatrice and Eugenie on skiing holiday in Klosters when they were very young. He covers his teen years, and how after Diana died, the press focus turned to him and William and how many of the stories were exaggerated and repeated, such as the "drug shame" story. He covers how he felt after his mother's death- torn between his grief for her and his role in the royal family. He then shares how his former girlfriends were harassed, and how he was afraid he would lose Meghan to the same type of press harassment. When the story of their relationship was about to break, they went out for one last night of anonymous fun, for Halloween, with Eugenie and Jack dressed in costume. Harry was unprepared for the racial undertones of the coverage, and a montage is shown of the headlines from the time, as well as the threats on social media.

Much of this has been extensively covered elsewhere and there's not a lot of new information added in this episode that wasn't already public, aside from the couple's photos and video diaries taken by them during the process of leaving.

Potential spots of controversy: This section is subjective, and contains my own thoughts about what the media might focus on as controversial in this episode. The first is Prince Harry's claim that though the Panorama interview was obtained by deception, it didn't influence what Diana said and her perspective on her life in that interview can be taken as wholly truthful. This contradicts Prince William's public interpretation of the interview, where he stated he feels what she said was substantially influenced by how the interview was obtained. Additionally, there is a direct quote from Harry that said "For so many people in the family especially the men, there can be a temptation or an urge to marry someone who would fit in the mold as opposed to somebody who you perhaps are destined to be with. The difference between making decisions with your head or your heart. And my mom made most of her decisions from her heart and I am my mother's son."It's very possible that this will be interpreted as a dig at William and Catherine's marriage, especially given that later on in the episode, a historian discusses the way the freedoms of members of the royal family are curtailed. When he talks about how their marriages need to be approved by the monarch, a very formal photo of William and Catherine at a royal engagement is shown.

Last edited:
He is completely out of order to comment on other peoples marriages. Yes he didnt mention names but we know what he was hinting at.

At the engagement interview for William and Kate, he clearly says he wanted to be sure that Catherine knew what she was letting herself in for, He wanted to give her time to walk away. Maybe Harry should have shown Meghan the same courtesy and had her better prepared for the life.

He said it himself he was frightened he would lose her, which for me sums up everything that is going on.

Here's review from the Telegraph (which, as Harry stated, not a tabloid so should be valid right?)

Harry, Meghan and the Half-Truth Prince: an unashamedly one-sided story

And they really go that way with the title :lol:
For what it's worth, I get the impression that this Harry does seem to think that he's The Chosen One. More so, he also seems to have beef with "You-Know-Who" and "He-Shall-Not-Be-Named".

Next:
- Harry and the Prisoner of Windsor (in reference to his trapped father and brother)
- Harry and Palace of Secret (the courtiers aka the men in black)

Last edited:
I hope they do not live to regret opening up all their private lives , Pandoras box is now open.

It is now clear why they shared very little of the children over the past few years, it was all being saved up for this.

Some of this is really personal stuff.

Also the niece who claims the palace banned her from the wedding. I do not understand this at all. The couple did not wish to invite the extended royal family who normally go to these things and they were not over ruled for that so why would they be told that a niece who nobody had heard of and could have slipped into the congregation unnoticed had to be rejected.
Her mothers family according to Meghan had handled everything well unlike the fathers side, but they were excluded as well. None of this makes sense.

That kind of amuses me. Meghan has literally told us she’s smart. Researching and asking questions about the family and job she’s getting would have been the smart thing to do. Particularly when you’re moving to another country and changing careers to do it.

It also reinforces the idea these 2 are more reactionary than thoughtful.

So true, its not as though she is living before Google was invented. Additionally, in between whispering sweet nothings to each other, Harry maybe could have mentioned some of the “weird” things . It’s not an ordinary family and not an ordinary situation.

I've just finished Episode 1, and I took notes to share here. I am planning to do the same for other episodes if it's helpful to members.

List of those interviewed in Episode 1 (aside from Harry and Meghan): Lindsay Roth, Meghan's friend. Lucy Fraser, Meghan's friend. Jill Smoller, Meghan's friend. Silver Tree, Meghan's friend. Nacho Figueras, Harry's Polo friend. James Holt, the executive director of Archewell. Afua Hirsh, British journalist and author. Robert Hazell, author, The Role of Monarchy in Modern Democracy. A man called "Nicky" whose last name is not included, who is identified as Harry's childhood friend from Eton. Prince Seeiso of Lesotho, Harry's friend. Abigail Spencer, Meghan's friend (and Suits castmate)

Logistical Information from Episode 1:
The show opens with the information that all interviews were completed by August 2022 and that members of the royal family declined to comment on the content of the series. The second part is currently being disputed by press officials, who claim they were not given the opportunity to comment.

Show Opening credits: Music plays and images are displayed of Prince Charles at his investiture of Prince of Wales, Queen Elizabeth II at her coronation, a baby Harry with Diana, Princess of Wales and a baby Meghan with her mother, Doria Ragland. Then the couple with Archie, press taking photos, William and Harry together as teenagers, the infamous shot of the two of them in the rain under the umbrella looking happy, and some photo booth photos of them embracing and kissing. Several shots of them in California and Lili taking her fist steps, as well as the image of the Queen at Archie's christening. Archie chasing some birds, final shot of the family.

Brief Recap: This episode primarily covered how Harry and Meghan met and their early dating life, including the well-known fact that they had met each other only twice before their trip to Botswana, which is when their relationship became serious, though Harry says he felt he fell in love with her long-distance before that. Harry discusses his early childhood, with a particular focus on his family's relationship with the media. He says they often tried to strike bargains for photo calls with the idea they'd be left alone after, but that they were almost always still pursued. The footage used to illustrate this is the photo call of Harry, William, Beatrice and Eugenie on skiing holiday in Klosters when they were very young. He covers his teen years, and how after Diana died, the press focus turned to him and William and how many of the stories were exaggerated and repeated, such as the "drug shame" story. He covers how he felt after his mother's death- torn between his grief for her and his role in the royal family. He then shares how his former girlfriends were harassed, and how he was afraid he would lose Meghan to the same type of press harassment. When the story of their relationship was about to break, they went out for one last night of anonymous fun, for Halloween, with Eugenie and Jack dressed in costume. Harry was unprepared for the racial undertones of the coverage, and a montage is shown of the headlines from the time, as well as the threats on social media.

Much of this has been extensively covered elsewhere and there's not a lot of new information added in this episode that wasn't already public, aside from the couple's photos and video diaries taken by them during the process of leaving.

Potential spots of controversy: This section is subjective, and contains my own thoughts about what the media might focus on as controversial in this episode. The first is Prince Harry's claim that though the Panorama interview was obtained by deception, it didn't influence what Diana said and her perspective on her life in that interview can be taken as wholly truthful. This contradicts Prince William's public interpretation of the interview, where he stated he feels what she said was substantially influenced by how the interview was obtained. Additionally, there is a direct quote from Harry that said "For so many people in the family especially the men, there can be a temptation or an urge to marry someone who would fit in the mold as opposed to somebody who you perhaps are destined to be with. The difference between making decisions with your head or your heart. And my mom made most of her decisions from her heart and I am my mother's son."It's very possible that this will be interpreted as a dig at William and Catherine's marriage, especially given that later on in the episode, a historian discusses the way the freedoms of members of the royal family are curtailed. When he talks about how their marriages need to be approved by the monarch, a very formal photo of William and Catherine at a royal engagement is shown.

You could take that as a dig at William and Catherine’s marriage since William specifically said he wanted to make sure she knew what she was getting into before marriage. Which was smart and considerate on William’s part. He was capable of thinking long term. And Catherine has fit in beautifully.

IMO- there is nothing wrong with making decisions with your head AND your heart. Which would be my interpretation of what the Waleses were smart enough to do. In general- that’s a good thing imo.

Lol- but if Harry is saying he never uses his head to make decisions- well that explains so much. And not in a good way.

Diana always (only if that’s your interpretation) leading by the heart wasn’t good imo either. I know Harry sees it as a good thing, but I don’t. A mixture of the two is best imo.

If he didn’t care whether meghsn would fit in- then why make a point of saying in the engagement interview that he’s had serious talks about what marrying him would mean? Why make it sound like they were committed? He apparently didn’t care.

I think Harry's bit about head versus heart when choosing a partner is about his father choosing his mother, instead of the woman he really loved and was 'destined to be with'.

Last edited:
I hope they do not live to regret opening up all their private lives , Pandoras box is now open.

It is now clear why they shared very little of the children over the past few years, it was all being saved up for this.

Some of this is really personal stuff.

Also the niece who claims the palace banned her from the wedding. I do not understand this at all. The couple did not wish to invite the extended royal family who normally go to these things and they were not over ruled for that so why would they be told that a niece who nobody had heard of and could have slipped into the congregation unnoticed had to be rejected.
Her mothers family according to Meghan had handled everything well unlike the fathers side, but they were excluded as well. None of this makes sense.

So their claim is the palace wouldn’t allow anyone from Meghan’s mother’s side of the family at the wedding except her mother?

This really doesn’t make sense, especially as you say, in light of Harry’s extended family not being invited. Or- that William specifically said his grandmother was flexible about HIS invite list

That kind of amuses me. Meghan has literally told us she’s smart. Researching and asking questions about the family and job she’s getting would have been the smart thing to do. Particularly when you’re moving to another country and changing careers to do it.
How many times have you heard actors and actresses talk about the research and preparation they did for a role? But she didn't think any research was necessary to prepare to be a member of one of the British Royal family? It boggles my mind.

After the Oprah interview (in which I believe they said Sarah Ferguson gave her a crash course on how to curtsy before she met the Queen), I told my mom that I thought a lot of their subsequent problems stemmed from the fact that Harry didn't properly prepare Megan for what to expect and what would be expected of her as a member of the royal family. It was clear that Chelsy Davy and Cresida Bonas knew what was expected and decided it was not for them. Similar to Hallo girl above, I think he was scared that super-independent, super-opinionated, super-American Meghan might also decide that life wasn't for her if she was fully educated and informed about what it entailed.

I've always admired that William seemed to learn the lessons from his mother's experience and made sure his future wife fully understood what she was getting herself into and was prepared for her role in the family. It's hard to argue with his approach now that Kate is considered an asset to the family. It's almost amusing to see Harry pat himself on the back for taking the opposite approach, considering how it's all worked out.

So their claim is the palace wouldn’t allow anyone from Meghan’s mother’s side of the family at the wedding except her mother?

This really doesn’t make sense, especially as you say, in light of Harry’s extended family not being invited. Or- that William specifically said his grandmother was flexible about HIS invite list

And she was able to invite people she hardly knew but were world-famous - not only to the wedding but in the choir bit of the chapel... So, it is hard to believe that if Meghan wanted her niece or any other family member to be present, that would have been refused - but I guess, it's easier to explain it that way to her niece?!

And she was able to invite people she hardly knew but were world-famous - not only to the wedding but in the choir bit of the chapel... So, it is hard to believe that if Meghan wanted her niece or any other family member to be present, that would have been refused - but I guess, it's easier to explain it that way to her niece?!

She didn't even personally know many of the Hollywood-types that she invited. At the time she didn't know Oprah ... Amal and George Clooney .. .and a few others.

They are both such hypocrites. It's sickening!

It was also telling when Ashleigh said that after the engagement, communication with Meghan became less and less frequent. Ashleigh tried to blame it on the palace, but I don’t see how the palace can be blamed on Meghan not calling her niece.

That’s an excellent summary, HRHHermione. Looking forward to the other two.

The segment where Meghan talked about meeting the Queen was a little awkward.

Last edited:
I can’t give an opinion yet, but the first episode had me glued to my IPad for an hour.

There is nothing here that is really new or shocking, mostly just rehashed versions of "their truth", but I am expecting the juicy stuff for the second part.

The two parts I kind of take issue with are when she mocks the BRF for their custom of curtseying and formality. I'm not keen on mocking another families, and countries, customs. Imagine someone moving to Japan and complaining how ridiculous all their bowing and formality is.

I also really react to her mentioning their first dinner date with W&K and how she is always been a hugger and was taken aback that they were not. That the Brits in general are not. Another example of mocking another countries culture. It seems odd to me that someone who prides themselves on being so forward thinking and modern wouldn't understand that hugging someone is a very close form of contact that some people are not comfortable with, and, that kind of contact requires consent. Also, people have boundaries that they create in order to live a balanced life, she seems to be mock those boundaries in the BRF. Relationships take time, and effort, but she comes off as very impatient.

Harry continues to be very "woe is me" and continues to prove that he is the heart of the problem. These are two very polarizing people but their trajectory is already waning. Their fans will continue to adore them, their detractors will continue to abhor them, the rest will be relatively uncurious about them if not mildly annoyed.

Here's my recap of episode 2. This was is much more detailed because in my opinion, this episode had more consequential content. Wherever possible, I tried to include direct quotes if I thought what was being discussed might be relevant and interesting.

List of those interviewed in Episode 2 (aside from Harry and Meghan): Doria Ragland, Meghan's Mother. Vicky Tsai, Meghan's friend. Dhru Purohit, Meghan's friend. Nick Collins, Meghan's former agent. Nicky, Harry's Eton friend. Lucy Fraser, Meghan's friend. Susan Williger, Meghan's childhood friend. David Olusoga, Author Black and British. Abigail Spencer, Meghan's friend and Suits castmate. Silver Tree, Meghan's friend. Chantelle Humphrey, Meghan's former personal assistant. Steve Davies, Meghan's Former Security Detail (hired by NBC to protect her on Suits) Nick Collins, Meghan's Former Agent. Misan Harriman Chair, Southbank Centre (London), Photographer, and Friend.

Not So Brief Recap: This episode opens in New York in November 2021, with their security team discussing their plan to get the couple through traffic and past photographers, Harry and Meghan discuss a paparazzi on a scooter who is following them. Interestingly, they have taken their masks off, which presumably would have provided some protection. Harry says paparazzi still harass people but the harassment exists more online now. Harry discusses the "feeding frenzy" of the hunter vs. the prey of photos of Meghan online with social media commentary. She appears to be having a panicked moment and he holds her hand and tells her they will be with friends in less than ten minutes.

Doria is interviewed. She states the last five years have been challenging, and that she's ready to have her voice heard and share a little of her experience as Meghan's mother. Doria remembers how secretive it was at the beginning and that she was impressed with Harry's manners, how nice he was, and pleased that they seemed happy together. Once it was announced that they were together, it seemed like a novelty in the press.

Meghan said when the news broke, they were relieved and people seemed overjoyed. They showed the positive coverage, including of Meghan as a philanthropist and her work with UN women, but that it quickly changes. Meghan talks about the paparazzi following her when she went to get flowers after the announcement, and how Harry called her the next day and told her not to talk to the paparazzi, because there'd been coverage that she loved the attention in the UK, and it discusses the story of her wearing a necklace with their initials. Meghan said it felt like all of the UK media descended on Toronto and her house was surrounded. Harry was hearing about it from thousands of miles away and felt helpless. Harry said the hardest piece was that they were still getting to know each other so he had to go to her to ask questions about stories that were being written about her. Meghan then discusses her childhood, that she was a nerd growing up and her identity was wrapped up in being the smart one. This documentary again covers the dishwashing liquid commercial, which I think has been discussed a number of times approaching infinity, larger than any natural number, at this point. Forgive that bit of editorializing. Nothing included in this biography segment is newly reported, though new photos and home videos are.

Her father's lighting director career and its impact on her desire to perform is covered as well. Doria states she couldn't help Meghan with her homework because Meghan was way smarter. Meghan's high school graduation is shown, and she discusses an incident in the same location where Meghan's mother was called a racial slur and how upsetting it was. This direct quote from Meghan is important so I will include it: " It's very different to be a minority but not be treated as a minority right off the bat. Obviously I'd say now, people are very aware of my race, because they made it such an issue when I went to the U.K. But before that, most people didn't treat me like a 'Black Woman' so that talk didn't have to happen for me."

Doria says that as a parent, in hindsight, she'd like to go back and have a real conversation about race and how it impacts how the world sees you. Doria says she tried to tell Meghan early on that her race would be a factor in her press coverage, but that Meghan didn't want to think about it.

Harry then discusses the Compton headline and how taken aback by it he was, and the Palace instructed him not to comment. He then says that" as far as everyone in the family was concerned, everything that she [Meghan] was being put through, they'd been put through as well, so it was almost like a rite of passage." This is shown over footage of Diana, Catherine, and Fergie being photographed by the press. Harry directly says "Some of the members of the family were like, but 'my wife had to go through that, why should your girlfriend be treated any differently, why should you get special protection, why should she be protected?' And Harry said "The difference here is the race element."

Meghan described those headlines as terrible, and Harry discusses his statement eight days after their relationship became public calling out the racist elements of the coverage of Meghan. They then talk about the tabloid press's political and societal influences and that the tabloid press is a white industry with very little diversity, and very little sensitivity to racism.

Meghan then discusses that being mixed-race feels like you aren't white enough or black enough, but that's not how she sees the world. Harry discusses how his Commonwealth travel made him believe he understood unconscious bias, but hearing Meghan talk made him realize he was "sleepwalking through life" and then it covers their NAACP Image Awards speech with some background footage of them back stage. Harry shares that he wants to be able to tell his kids he did meaningful racial justice work, and this is stated with footage of him playing with Archie at what appears to be the grounds of their home in Montecito. He says he doesn't want to repeat the mistakes their parents made, and they discuss being the kids of divorced parents. Harry believes kids of divorced parents all have a lot in common. Meghan recites multiple stanzas of a poem she wrote about her parents divorce when she was in elementary school. She discusses that her dad had two adult children who had moved out of the house, and that she was a daddy's girl her whole life. There's home movie footage of Meghan fishing with Thomas. She discusses feeling lonely as a kid and wanting to have more people around.

Meghan shares how she loved her job on Suits, and her former PA, Chantelle Humphrey, talks about how Meghan would get recognized as an actress in the grocery store. They discuss how she was the Suits cast member who interacted the most with fans, but beyond that she felt very safe and unbothered in Toronto. They say she had such a beautiful life before everything exploded, and that it took a dark turn very quickly after her relationship was made public. They say the press attention got difficult on the set of Suits. They say that Meghan's nature is to never make things more difficult for anyone.

Meghan says she would say to the police that "If any other woman in Toronto said to you I have six grown men who are sleeping in their cars around my house and following me everywhere I go and I feel scared, wouldn't you say it was stalking?" and they would say there's nothing they can do because of who she's dating. Her security detail, Steve Davies, who was hired by NBC after Meghan received a death threat, says that her security was among the most challenging of his career. They discuss the evasive procedures they used to avoid paparazzi photos during that time period. Meghan and Harry share how they traveled back and forth, and Harry says "Dating became a combination of car chases, anti-surveillance driving and disguises, which isn't a particularly healthy way to start a relationship, but we always came at it with as much humor as possible."

Meghan discusses that she didn't know much about the culture then and she's glad she didn't because she could authentically be herself. She says "Even when Will and Kate came over, and I'd met her for the first time, they came over for dinner. I remember I was in ripped jeans and I was barefoot. I was a hugger, I've always been a hugger, I didn't realize that that is really jarring for a lot of Brits. (Formal photos of William and Catherine at a royal engagement are shown) I guess I started to understand very quickly that the formality on the outside carried through on the inside. That there is a forward-facing way of being. And then you close the door and you go "oh great, okay we can relax now, but that formality carries over on both sides and that was surprising to me."

"My grandmother was the first senior member of the family Meghan met" says Harry. Meghan didn't know she was going to meet the Queen, and how she thought it was a joke when Harry asked if she knew how to curtsy. And Harry says "How do you explain that you need to bow to your grandmother, and that you would need to curtsy, especially to an American. That's weird." This is when she makes the comparison to Medieval Times. Eugenie, Jack and Fergie all told her she did great when she met the Queen.

Recap part 2- this one was too long for one post

Harry says his family was surprised and impressed by Meghan. He says "I remember my family first meeting her and being incredibly impressed. Some of them didn't quite know what to do with themselves. So I think they were. They were surprised. They were surprised that the ginger could land such a beautiful woman. And such an intelligent woman. But the fact that I was dating an American actress was probably what clouded their judgment more than anything else in the beginning." They thought it wouldn't last because she was an actress.

Meghan said that was the biggest problem- misconceptions of who she was because of her career. Her agent then discusses her Hollywood career and how hard she struggled for it, nothing new here. The Suits cast closeness and the culture on set is discussed. Meghan's PA opines that acting wasn't her true passion and she was on track to do bigger things. Meghan's educational background is discussed. Doria says she's brainy, she cares about how the world functions, Meghan says she loves to write, and then Meghan shares about how she created The Tig. She talks about how the Tig became a really successful business. Abigail Spencer believes she was really more a producer and activist. Her trips to India and Rwanda are covered briefly and she says she loved to go and volunteer. Her speech to UN Women in 2015 is included. Meghan says that she and "H" connected over their larger purposes being aligned. Harry says he fell head over heels in love with her because his heart told her he'd spend the rest of his life with her, and then his head told him that "she's absolutely perfect for the role as well." He really thought her causes and activism would make her very successful in royal life.

They discuss their proposal story. Harry says he couldn't propose outside of the U.K. because he needed his grandmother's permission. Meghan shares a video she made with her friend Jess (presumably Jess Mulroney) when she knew he was moments away from proposing, and they share a photo of Harry down on one knee, with her dog Guy and some candles. Their friends did a small engagement part for them, with everyone dressed in animal onesies. Meghan and Harry wore penguin onesies since penguins mate for life. Their formal engagement photos are shown, and the media response, which is shown as overwhelmingly positive. Misan Harriman (the photographer who later photographed Lili's first birthday) discusses what their engagement meant to the Black community in Britain. They then contrast their engagement against the background of Brexit, showing the "We Want Our Country Back" signs and Nigel Farage. They talk about race as a factor in Brexit. Increases in racist sentiment following Brexit is discussed, and the thesis seems to be that their marriage was a fairy tale at odds with the mood of the country and that the tabloids would exploit that.

Meghan says at that point she believed what she was being told which was "It will pass, it gets better, it's just what they do right at the very beginning. This promise of don't worry, once you're married it will get better, once they're used to you it will get better, of course it will get better, But truth be told, no matter how hard I tried, no matter how good I was, no matter what I did, they were still going to find a way to destroy me."

Potential spots of controversy (as stated previously, this is my personal interpretation): The implication that the harassment of Meghan was fundamentally different than the harassment of other women who married into the royal family because of her racial background is likely to be debated in the press. The discussion of William and Catherine (called Will and Kate by Meghan) being very stiff and formal will likely be a major source of media speculation. Harry's comments that the expectation to follow protocol and bow and curtsy to his grandmother in private was weird and hard to explain. Harry's comments about his family being surprised he could land a beautiful and intelligent woman and their judgment being clouded. Harry's contention he couldn't propose outside of the U.K. because he had to ask for his grandmother's permission will be discussed given that William and Catherine were engaged in Kenya. The political implications of placing their story in the framework of Brexit given Royal family neutrality will come up. Meghan's accusation that no matter her actions, the British press were going to find a way to destroy her will be discussed.

Interesting to note: All of Meghan's friends interviewed seem to refer to Harry as "H" or "Haz" the way she does.

That’s me, un curious but curious enough to watch.
And I agree about the hugging. I love hugs personally, but not all my friends do and that’s totally fine.

"I've just finished Episode 1, and I took notes to share here. I am planning to do the same for other episodes if it's helpful to members.

"

As I suspected, there are no interviews with Harry's family, just friends of Meghan's and Doria.

I also really react to her mentioning their first dinner date with W&K and how she is always been a hugger and was taken aback that they were not. That the Brits in general are not. Another example of mocking another countries culture. It seems odd to me that someone who prides themselves on being so forward thinking and modern wouldn't understand that hugging someone is a very close form of contact that some people are not comfortable with, and, that kind of contact requires consent. Also, people have boundaries that they create in order to live a balanced life, she seems to be mock those boundaries in the BRF. Relationships take time, and effort, but she comes off as very impatient.

Beautifully put, especially about the consent part.

There's definitely a cultural gap. In my experience, most Americans are (in general) much less reserved and much more open to things like hugging than most Brits are. And upper-class Brits are even more reserved again. For some of them, a handshake is as much as they can take. Or maybe, when it's a good friend, a collegial pat on the shoulder. But a hug?! Good heavens, absolutely not.

The segment where Meghan talked about meeting the Queen was a little awkward.

My guess is, if they did want rewrites after the Queen’s death, this mockery of curtsying would have been the first to go. It was cringeworthy ⬇️

ALSO, poor Ashleigh! If Meghan wanted her there, she would have had an invitation…”What Meghan wants, Meghan gets.”

Harry continues to be very "woe is me" and continues to prove that he is the heart of the problem. These are two very polarizing people but their trajectory is already waning. Their fans will continue to adore them, their detractors will continue to abhor them, the rest will be relatively uncurious about them if not mildly annoyed.

It is not just Harry. Take Episode 2, which sounded like a Meghan infomercial, with a level of narcissism and self-praise that is, in my opinion, very un-British and quite the opposite of how members of the Royal Family talk (or rather do not talk) about themselves.

I agree, however, that there were no bombshells and no direct attacks on the Royal Family and the Palace or the courtiers (I expect that to come up in Part 2). Most of the more controversial talking points actually came not from Harry and Meghan's own voice, but from the (British) guests who appear in the program, e.g., calling the Commonwealth "the Empire 2.0", claiming that Britain is full of "murals glorifying slavery", and just plainly denouncing British society as structurally racist.

A few bits and pieces should be particularly hurtful to the British public though such as Harry speaking negatively (again) of walkabouts, which actually mean a lot to many ordinary people, or Meghan, somewhat contradicting herself, at one point claiming she had never felt what it was like to be treated as a mixed-race person before she moved to the UK, as if her life in LA was a race-blind utopia , which quite frankly defies common knowledge about race relations both in the US and the UK.

Last edited:
The comments about Brexit are just silly. Our non white PM voted for it. So did our black Home Secretary. The reasons for Brexit were various & complex & cannot be distilled down to moronic soundbites.

Taking the mickey out of curtsying to the late queen will go down like a lead balloon. Why didn’t she take the you know what out of Catholics for genuflecting in church while she was at it.

The denial by the palace that they were approached for comment prior to the broadcast is a slap in the face to Netflix &/or Archewell’s credibility.

The link is to BBC Radio 4’s flagship am programme. By coincidence one of today's presenters was Misha Husain (H&M’s engagement interviewer). It is obvious how stupid they think Markle’s comment was about the interview.

From 2 21 49
And then 3 02 59

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001fw9v

Last edited:
I agree, however, that there were no bombshells and no direct attacks on the Royal Family and the Palace or the courtiers (I expect that to come up in Part 2). Most of the more controversial talking points actually came not from Harry and Meghan's own voice, but from the (British) guests who appear in the program, e.g., calling the Commonwealth "the Empire 2.0", claiming that Britain is full of "murals glorifying slavery", and just plainly denouncing British society as structurally racist.

A few bits and pieces should be particularly hurtful to the British public though such as Harry speaking negatively (again) of walkabouts, which actually mean a lot to many ordinary people, or Meghan, somewhat contradicting herself, at one point claiming she had never felt what it was like to be treated as a mixed-race person before she moved to the UK, as if her life in LA was a race-blind utopia , which quite frankly defies common knowledge about race relations both in the US and the UK.

I don't have Netflix (any more) so thank you for this. Calling what was the late queen's main legacy, The Commonwealth, "the empire 2" is just lazy analysis. And the fact that H&M would put their name to this is an insult. Just so typical.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The comments about Brexit are just silly. Our non white PM voted for it. So did our black Home Secretary. The reasons for Brexit were various & complex & cannot be distilled down to moronic soundbites.

Curiously, although I am not British, the exact same thought (about Rishi Sunak and other prominent "non-white" Brexiteers) crossed my mind when (the completely unrelated-to-Meghan issue of) Brexit was brought up. Moreover, even if we accept the premise that immigration was one of the multiple factors that led part of the publc to vote for Brexit, we are talking here about opposition also to groups like Poles (who are actually "whiter" than many Britons) moving into the UK, so it is not strictly a matter of racism directed at people of color.

But, anyway, whatever your opinion may be on controversial and complex issues like Brexit or on whether Brexit is racist or not, I still don't see why a connection between support for Brexit and Meghan's (mis)treatment in the United Kingdom was even implied at all. I mean, it sounds like an extremely far-fetched association to me.

Last edited:
So far it seems completely vapid and vain. Nothing new, nothing backed up with any real evidence, chancing stories and truths - even from what they have said previously. To be honest, unless there are major bombshells in the second set of episodes I think Netflix isn't going to be happy - as predicted everything dramatic in the trailers was made to look worse than it was. They are showing more of themselves off and its not all good IMO.

There is nothing here that is really new or shocking, mostly just rehashed versions of "their truth", but I am expecting the juicy stuff for the second part.

The two parts I kind of take issue with are when she mocks the BRF for their custom of curtseying and formality. I'm not keen on mocking another families, and countries, customs. Imagine someone moving to Japan and complaining how ridiculous all their bowing and formality is.

Plenty of Americans don’t just hug people they don’t know. Starting with myself. It should not have been a shock to Meghan that everyone is not a hugger. That’s not a cultural issue imo. That’s a Meghan one. (This is what she wants to talk about?! Really. Seems absurd to me. Plenty of Americans will find HER response off putting.)

Agreed on complaining about curtsying and bowing. It’s their way. Move on. Japan is a great example of another culture that is more formal.

Again- this is what she wants to talk about? She thinks this is worth talking about to a world wide audience? She and I have a different definition of relevant information.

I have learned more about Meghan. It’s not an image improvement.

Honestly- it’s too bad Harry and Meghan don’t understand the value of keeping their mouths shut and not sharing everything. But Meghan herself says she likes to talk. That I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom