Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it does anything for her at all. IIRC this is the dress she commented on ..about it wasn't something she would pick personally.

LaRae

I don't think it does anything for her at all. IIRC this is the dress she commented on ..about it wasn't something she would pick personally.

LaRae

You're probably right in that it doesn't do much for her - that's why I posted the other one of another tv bride to show how well it could have gone... I loved that ML dress Iris wore.

They definitely changed the dress though - in the top pic, Rachel's dress has a high covered back and no belt. In the bottom pic, they've removed the back and added a thin black belt. Maybe the black belt in the front has more heft and snatches the waist more.

I still think it's a pretty dress - but I bet the original design plunged more in the front - it feels like wardrobe modified the dress. I've seen that gown somewhere before - and IIRC it had a deeper plunging neckline.

I'm not a fan of those thin string type of straps or anything that plunging for a wedding dress. Just not my taste at all.

LaRae

They definitely changed the dress though - in the top pic, Rachel's dress has a high covered back and no belt. In the bottom pic, they've removed the back and added a thin black belt. Maybe the black belt in the front has more heft and snatches the waist more.

I still think it's a pretty dress - but I bet the original design plunged more in the front - it feels like wardrobe modified the dress. I've seen that gown somewhere before - and IIRC it had a deeper plunging neckline.

Yes in an interview Meghan said the original neckline was a plunging ballet style but the network/show runner thought it was a bit too deep. And Pranter is right. Same interview Meghan said the Suits dress was right for the character but not to her personal taste. Curious why they changed other dress elements this time around.

Yes in an interview Meghan said the original neckline was a plunging ballet style but the network/show runner thought it was a bit too deep. And Pranter is right. Same interview Meghan said the Suits dress was right for the character but not to her personal taste. Curious why they changed other dress elements this time around.

Maybe Meghan had some input into the new design?

Or maybe they changed it so that it wasn't exactly the same - I'm not sure I'd want to wear a gown I purchased for a wedding I cancelled, even if it was with the same man - unless I altered it to fit who I was now.

I'm just happy I correctly guessed they altered the original design on the gown to make it more modest for tv, lol. :lol:

Do you think Meghan's wedding dress will be edged with ruching?

Many have mentioned Charlene of Monaco and Victoria of Sweden’s style of neckline as a great option for Meghan. I do agree! Even better, I think a dress in a gold brocade type material would be a nice companion to Prince Harry’s military uniform, a subtle nod to her divorce - as Camilla gave with her wedding outfit, and offering a romantic image which says visual partnership with Prince Harry.

The picture here is an example, the material is very rich - she would need to find the tone and intensity that best matches her and makes the right statement. The dress shows in the 8th, 9th, and 10th images - unfortunately it’s not possible to post a link for the specific image.
Fadwa Baalbaki Spring 2017 Couture Dresses — “Symphonie Florale” Collection | Wedding Inspirasi

I’m just very curious - if Meghan wore a dress like this, would she need illusion sleeves in order to be appropriately dressed? Charlene did not. What do you think about necessity of sleeves with this neckline that extends around the upper arm?

This dress, which has the feel of a lady in waiting in a castle, checks many boxes for me and I think it would be lovely if it were adequate for the chapel size.

Maybe she could wear a shoulder train or veil of some significant length to make it appear bigger?

Jillian 2018 Wedding Dresses | Wedding Inspirasi
First four images.

It is whimsical with a ballerina type neckline.
The bell sleeves as this year’s hot fashion and make the dress, she had mentioned “with those sleeves” when she made her pick in January -these might be the ones?
More relaxed to wear, enter and exit a car, and sit in than a stiff or voluminous or stiff skirt.
I think she can err on the side of smaller as it will come across more demure and allow her to have a richer feel to the material she chooses.
Yet, it is still very formal, not a slip of a beach dress.

Maybe I am trying to sell it too much, lol!?
Love this dress.

Do you think Meghan's wedding dress will be edged with ruching?

I can see the current fashion of layers of tulle as something she might choose. I don’t think she’d go for ruching, she has such a good figure that it would seem to be distracting from her slim silhouette.

Many have mentioned that they like the boat neckline of Caroline of Monaco, or Victoria of Sweden’s wedding dresses - I do agree! That would look great on Meghan! To change it up so that this simple and classic look is unique, I like this:

http://www.weddinginspirasi.com/2010/05/06/fabyan-wedding-gown-alternatives/
Images 7-8-9-10

This gold brocade may be a bit too rich. She would have chosen the fabric and color that flatter her best, and seem most appropriate.

I particularly like this as the color and weight of the material will team up visually with Prince Harry in his military uniform, emphasizing their mutual committment to their royal roles as well as their personal partnership.

I don’t think Meghan needs a very long train, really....
I think I would be elegant and appropriate to have a rather shorter train, it speaks of humility as she joins the Royal Family. As a fellow Leo, I recommend that :) as Leo are fixed, and some see our fixed nature as stubborn or arrogant. Good for her for not backing down on her desire to use peonies in the wedding, that took guts and is a great use of her fixed nature - the day is after all hers and Harry’s.

I really like this dress for her!

http://www.weddinginspirasi.com/2017/06/05/jillian-2018-wedding-dresses/
First 4 images

It’s whimsical, bohemian, reminiscent of a lady in waiting in a castle.
The shape offers a train, and up-to-the-moment fashionable bell sleeves.
It has the ballerina neckline in an illusion back and front that covers shoulders, while remaining true to Meghan’s personal taste which is likely a bit more revealing. Yet, remains formal and very elegant!

Above all, this has a more relaxed workable form - it will be easier to get in and out of a vehicle, to sit and to move. Thus it offers a relaxed functionality, without having too casual American style. To make it more formal, she could have this level of lace or embroidery. To make it more classic and simple, she could stick to very limited embellishment and just use a beautiful material and color.

I believe this would be different and amazing on her!
I won’t be surprised if she were to have chosen something along these lines.

I saw a shorter bride carry off a similar cape look with an even fuller dress and it looked lovely on her.

I think the fact that the gown is simple in style without much fuss makes it easier.

I could easily see Meghan in something similar - just with a slightly less fitted skirt.

Only 7 weeks now, right?
===================================
I agree - a cape may be the best solution to giving her dress the length and bulk necessary to walk down the aisle as the focal point of the ceremony.

I think her selected dress is unlikely to be voluminous and have such a train built into the skirt. To count on a veil to give all the length she would need would be too much for the veiling material which will be so emphermal & light.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a handful I've liked (HGD Stephanie's wedding dress was lovely) and Eugenie's engagement dress was very nice....but not many other than that. So I'm adding Erdem to the list of designers I hope aren't doing her dress (along with R&R).

LaRae

Oh no......suddenly Erdem becomes the hot favourite. I can't even think of any proper beautiful gown from Erdem. No I wouldn't believe it.

:previous:Stephanie's is Elie Saab.

Oh shoot! Thanks WYCII! Totally got the E names mixed up!

LaRae

You're welcome!

I am sorry to say this but compared to Erdem, I would rather see her choose ES, I don't think ES's style suits her but at least they don't make......“bold” gowns:ninja:. Actually I like some Erdem's daytime wears, but I don't think their approach/style can fit in a royal wedding. I don't mind Erdem's dress for the guests (their flora dress is perfect for attending wedding), but no, not for the bride.

I don't think she will go with E.S. though since they aren't a London designer IIRC!

My list of designers I like is getting smaller.

LaRae

When I think of Erdem, I def don't think of a bride. I don't think he ever concludes a bridal type dress in his shows, considering he doesn't do couture.

I don't think she will go with E.S. though since they aren't a London designer IIRC!

My list of designers I like is getting smaller.

LaRae

I don't think she'll go with Erdem. However, I do believe they are London based, but he's Canadian by birth. R&R are also not British, but it's a British based business.

Erdem is based in London but from Canada.

I can't tell you how many candles I am lighting and prayers I am saying that she will NOT go with Erdem.

HAHA! I can relate Zaira!

LaRae

Great another bathrobe...Lord I hope not.

LaRae

I don't think she'll go with Erdem. However, I do believe they are London based, but he's Canadian by birth. R&R are also not British, but it's a British based business.

Yes, Erdem actually has a British mother and spent part of his childhood in Birmingham. But he moved to London in 2000 and established his label there. RR is the same, headquartered in London but Australian.

Now the question for the public: is headquartered (not simply having shops in London like de la renta) good enough?? Normally I would say yes, as Erdem is a popular choice with Kate. And she chose designer Issa for her engagement.

But it seems Meghan gets held to different standards. She got attacked by many for using an 'American cake maker'. Even though the woman's bakery is in London. Will Meghan face the same if she chooses Erdem, as the designer is technically not British??? Or will she get a slide because it is a commonwealth designer?

I hope she doesn't choose Erdem. Though Erdem makes some nice day looks, same goes with Jenny Packham, not a fan of the bridal collections.

My "Please do not let her have a dress made by" list:

Erdem, Packham, R&R (and it may grow!)

LaRae

Honestly - I hope Meghan chooses who SHE wants to choose. It's her gown, her day and she's the one who'll be remembered for it forever. Nothing we think matters. I thought Kate's gown was derivative and dull - but it was very pretty and it looked great on her. I hope the same for Meghan whatever she chooses.

I'm just so over the derisiveness directed at her for her fashion choices.

Honestly - I hope Meghan chooses who SHE wants to choose. It's her gown, her day and she's the one who'll be remembered for it forever. Nothing we think matters. I thought Kate's gown was derivative and dull - but it was very pretty and it looked great on her. I hope the same for Meghan whatever she chooses.

A flattering choice is really all that anyone can hope for.

After all, there's only so much that can be done with a wedding dress, especially in the case of a royal wedding.
How could the dress not be derivative?

A flattering choice is really all that anyone can hope for.

After all, there's only so much that can be done with a wedding dress, especially in the case of a royal wedding.
How could the dress not be derivative?

You're right honestly - and that's what I eventually realized with Kate. I'm sure Meghan's will be derivative in some way too and that's okay.

Maybe I feel like we're putting so much pressure on this dress to be so spectacular that we can't help but be dissappionted no matter what she wears.

People have really high expectations for a wedding dress worn by (insert the name of whichever woman marrying into a Royal family). Some will like it, some won't. I loved Pippa's dress more than Kate's ..but I liked Kate's dress too. Didn't really care for Diana's but loved Fergie's ...hated Sophie's dress, loved Stephanie's (HGD Stephanie), really liked Victoria's, wasn't overly crazy about Charlene's etc etc.

Someone isn't going to like it whatever it is, others will love it..some will be so/so. It's just how it goes with fashion. I'll be watching with my tiara on and eating scones, Victoria Sponge and drinking tea.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom