Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty but not enough 'umph'.

LaRae

No matter who she chooses, someone has it covered. :lol:

As we all know, the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle is fast-approaching. As we count down the days, hours and minutes, we’re keeping ourselves busy trying to figure out which designer Meghan Markle will wear on her wedding day.

We’ve all heard the Ralph and Russo rumours, the Erdem rumours and now we’re wondering whether she’ll go for British design house, Burberry.

Manchester-born designer Henry Holland has been chatting about the big royal wedding on the Wedding Guest Extraordinaire podcast – and he’s putting his money on Christopher Bailey, Burberry’s chief creative officer of the brand
Read more: This big designer thinks Meghan Markle could wear a Burberry wedding dress

One designer out of running:

Victoria Beckham confirmed to James Corden she is not designing Meghans wedding dress “Sadly, I'm not. But I am sure she will look incredible.”

One designer out of running:

Victoria Beckham confirmed to James Corden she is not designing Meghans wedding dress “Sadly, I'm not. But I am sure she will look incredible.”

Victorias clothes are okay at best and she is not a wedding dress designer. So for those reasons I actually believe her when she says she is not making it. Some of the other big designer I would not rule out even if they deny it.

As we know, a denial doesnt really rule people out. Their wedding photographer said he was going but didnt know who the job would go to, few days later its announced he will be taking the official pics.
Also Sarah & McQueen denied they were making Catherines dress then come wedding day :its a McQueen dress.

For all the designers out there, I hope Meghan is going with one that is either totally dedicated to Bridal Wear or has an established Bridal component in their 2-4 shows per year. By established I mean more than one dress as there is an art to making wedding gowns and one thing that really bugged me was that many of the strapless gowns with sweetheart necklines moved to the left when the models' breasts moved to the right and vice versa. The reason was the whole bodice was rigidly boned, even the built-in bras.

The other thing that intrigued and then appalled me, was the return of the crinoline. I can see that a lot of contemporary wedding gowns are definitely of the "go big or go home" variety and I could see the attraction of a crinoline versus voluminous petticoats.

However, having watched several of those bridal shows from differing fashion houses, you could immediately tell which women were wearing crinolines. Women of today walk differently to those in the time of crinolines. Today women stride, not glide and the models seem to stride with a bounce in their step and that meant every step they took, the dress dipped and bounced back at the bottom.

I think we're safe with Meghan. After all, she did say she could never see herself wearing a meringue. Fingers crossed.

^^^ I think I posted an earlier link to that one. :flowers: It's beautiful, isn't it? I doubt we'll see something so sleek (I expect a little more volume in scale with the Chapel) but it's a very classy dress IMO.

:previous: Utterly classic, but I would prefer a bateau neckline though.

The gowns are lovely, but the off shoulder look wouldn't fly. :ermm:

Batteau you get a bit of that feel, but still covered shoulders. I like the style :flowers:

I know 'modern brides don't have to have covered shoulders'. But the BRF tends to stick to tradition. I know Meghan has walked her own path a lot in fashion but I don't see her doing so on such a big stage as her wedding.

I know people argue, they can just move the straps up to the shoulders, but that changes the whole look of the dress.

Love the bateau style and we know Meghan looks great in that neckline.

LaRae

Diana's designer showed off her sketch for Meghan's wedding dress on television today and it was... OFF THE SHOULDER! Gasp! So maybe it's one of those things that everyone knows is protocol, but really isn't?
Anyway, I'm in love with these...

https://tomandlorenzo.com/wp-conten...2019-Bridal-Collection-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-2.jpg

For the evening maybe...

https://tomandlorenzo.com/wp-conten...2019-Bridal-Collection-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-4.jpg

https://tomandlorenzo.com/wp-conten...019-Bridal-Collection-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-13.jpg

None of them can stand up to the venue or grandness of the event though. They need more presence for the wedding dress category. Might be okay for evening.....but I don't care for them, don't think they would do that much for Meghan.

Lots of talk the past few days about Bilbury's designer (the one leaving) being the dress designer.

LaRae

Agree the Tom and Lorenzo wouldn't work. Not enough presence. And there is something odd about them sorry. Don't know how to put it.

Christopher Bailey of Burberry? I know they have done some red carpet gowns, not sure they have done wedding gowns before??? But I guess if they can design gowns, wedding gowns wouldn't be a huge leap.

Meghan has worn a Burberry gown once.

Burberry Prorsum Belted Crinkled Silk-Crepe Gown

Diana's designer showed off her sketch for Meghan's wedding dress on television today and it was... OFF THE SHOULDER! Gasp! So maybe it's one of those things that everyone knows is protocol, but really isn't?
Anyway, I'm in love with these...

Elizabeth mentioned what she thought Meghan should wear. Including a short dress to show off her legs. We aren't any more likely to see her in a tea length gown showing off her legs, then we are to see her with bare shoulders.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-predicts-Meghan-wear-marry-Prince-Harry.html

Her design not only was off the shoulder, but raised hemline to show off the legs. Not going to happen. Not in St George's.

Last edited:
Countessmeout Omid and Emily (I think it was Emily!) discussed this on their latest podcast.

I think they said that (Patrick? who was it sitting with her at the I.G.) has been seen there at Bilburry and so they are wondering if he is coming in. The guy leaving, would be a high note for him to leave on, having designed her dress.

LaRae

Elizabeth mentioned what she thought Meghan should wear. Including a short dress to show off her legs. We aren't any more likely to see her in a tea length gown showing off her legs, then we are to see her with bare shoulders.

Not to show off her legs but this is an intriguing idea. :flowers: It is a second marriage after all. However, even Camilla had a floor length gown so Meghan will do the same I am sure. Camilla's wedding dress when she married Charles was really a great ensemble, and I just realized that she had the collar along the lines of what I am hoping Meghan opts for (Mathilda and Letizia had more dramatic versions of the same).

Confused, is there a company called Bilbury, or are you talking about Burberry?

There has been talk, as I mentioned above, of the head designer of Burberry, doing her gown. And yes, Christopher Bailey is leaving the company. I was asking if anyone knew if they had ever done a wedding gown.

https://www.standard.co.uk/fashion/news/meghan-markle-royal-wedding-dress-burberry-a3815681.html

Seems just a long line of 'rumored' designers. Cant know who will prove true until the day. Think just covering all bases.

The guy at IG games was Markus Anderson.

I think people who are coming up with these ideas of short dresses and off shoulder etc haven't done a good study of how the BRF generally does things. It's one thing for Diana to wear an off shoulder gown to an evening event...quite another to wear it at St George!

No I don't expect to see Meghan in a short skirt, one shoulder, strapless, slinky (nightgown), lots of illusion lace/net, blingy, frilly/fussy.

Harry will be in uniform. They want to celebrate a springy feel (from what we have been told) so I am thinking something romantic, clean lines (ala Mettit-Marit, the Pronovias style gown et al) and elegant. Fingers crossed for a bateau collar!

LaRae

Not to show off her legs but this is an intriguing idea. :flowers: It is a second marriage after all. However, even Camilla had a floor length gown so Meghan will do the same I am sure. Camilla's wedding dress when she married Charles was really a great ensemble, and I just realized that she had the collar along the lines of what I am hoping Meghan opts for (Mathilda and Letizia had more dramatic versions of the same).

No, Elizabeth suggested because of her nice legs.

'In my collection right now, we are not doing full-length anymore, and wouldn't it be great - because she has got such wonderful legs - to do something a little bit shorter that has still got that classical silhouette.

Of course she suggested something that would never be used in a royal wedding. She was Promoting her own line, not really dressing Meghan.

Confused, is there a company called Bilbury, or are you talking about Burberry?

There has been talk, as I mentioned above, of the head designer of Burberry, doing her gown. And yes, Christopher Bailey is leaving the company. I was asking if anyone knew if they had ever done a wedding gown.

https://www.standard.co.uk/fashion/news/meghan-markle-royal-wedding-dress-burberry-a3815681.html

Seems just a long line of 'rumored' designers. Cant know who will prove true until the day. Think just covering all bases.

The guy at IG games was Markus Anderson.

SMH Burberry!! LOL I'm reading a book about a country doctor in BILBURY!

Uh...no idea on the wedding dresses...I've not ever followed the company.

Yes that's it Markus was seen there at the company.

LaRae

SMH Burberry!! LOL I'm reading a book about a country doctor in BILBURY!

Uh...no idea on the wedding dresses...I've not ever followed the company.

Yes that's it Markus was seen there at the company.

LaRae

Sorry thought you meant Burberry, but your last response did have me wondering for a moment if we were talking two different designers ? All good :flowers:

Maybe Markus has decided to wear a lovely Burberry scarf to the wedding :cool: Not sure he would be visiting a designer for Meghan's wedding gown. Unless she has ditched a maid of honor and gone with a modern 'man of honor.'

I have seen some red carpet looks of theirs. But still shocked at that they may be considered.

I think it's probably just Omid and Emily (I think Emily..there's 2 podcasts I listen to, and I know she's on one of them lol) chatting about it...they also said how tight lipped everyone is with no hints (paraphrasing) as to who it is and talked about how very few people within the company chosen will actually know about it...and the few who do know will flat deny (as they did with Kate/McQueen). Some of the top people at McQueen had no idea Kate's dress was being done by 'them'.

LaRae

I wonder if we had seen Kate’s dress in advance we would have thought it was grand enough for the venue.
Up until then we were used to much longer trains on royal brides.

I'm still 'rooting' for Philippa Lepley, who knows EXACTLY what is required for grand British Weddings, in spectacular venues.. Her atelier cuts and tailors brilliantly, and the simplicity and elegance of her gowns would suit Ms Markle's style [imo].

Lepley does have some very pretty gowns IIRC (I haven't looked recently).

LaRae

Well we know Saab does great bridal...not a fan of the flower cape dress but I like the other one (with an altered neckline). I don't know if Meghan could carry off a cape dress...she is not very tall and she is so petite.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom