Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If 'cut' is what matters most, then McQueen & Westwood beat R & R 'by a country mile'...

:previous: Hmmm, several wedding dresses? I think that there has been discussion around a couple of wedding finale dresses for Ralph & Russo's couture collections which are meant to be showstoppers.

If we rewind the clock seven years and were discussing designers for Kate's wedding dress and McQueen was on the table, I'm pretty sure that McQueen would be dismissed for fear that they would send Kate down the aisle in an explosion of feather and tulle with a jewel encrusted face mask.

As stated previously what works in Ralph & Russo's favor is their craftmanship, and if Meghan actually goes with a simple, unfussy design, then the need for the design team to be expert in cutting, tailoring and fabric selection is that much more important.

Yes there were several discussed...and then other times there have been R&R dresses posted.

There are other houses out there that do the structured dress without all the over the top additions or body hugging effects.

Anyway nothing I've seen from R&R makes me want them to be the designer.

LaRae

If 'cut' is what matters most, then McQueen & Westwood beat R & R 'by a country mile'...
I don't know about beating them by a country mile, but I agree that Ralph & Russo are not the only game in town when it comes to craftsmanship, but still there are probably good designers who are not up to the task and Meghan really has to do the due diligence on that front.

ETA:
Yes there were several discussed...and then other times there have been R&R dresses posted.

There are other houses out there that do the structured dress without all the over the top additions or body hugging effects.

Anyway nothing I've seen from R&R makes me want them to be the designer.

LaRae
Again, as far as I know Ralph & Russo does not do wedding collections, and the wedding dresses they have sent down the runway were the showstopper finale dresses. I think that we are going down this rabbit hole because of a references to "a new season of wedding dresses" and "several wedding dresses." Nevertheless Ralph & Russo put out couture and ready-to-war collections and their aesthetic may not be to everyone's taste.

Last edited:
I don't know about beating them by a country mile, but I agree that Ralph & Russo are not the only game in town when it comes to craftsmanship, but still there are probably good designers who are not up to the task and Meghan really has to do the due diligence on that front.

I think the time for due diligence is long past and Meghan's dress is currently being constructed. There is no way she is still considering designers. The wedding is in 7 weeks.

Would this beaded lace wedding dress be okay if sleeves were added?
Beaded Lace Wedding Dress with Pleated Skirt | David's Bridal
I like the silhouette, I could also see it with a modest bateau neckline.

ETA:
I think the time for due diligence is long past and Meghan's dress is currently being constructed. There is no way she is still considering designers. The wedding is in 7 weeks.
I agree. The designer has been chosen, so I should have made that comment in the past tense.

Last edited:

I think she had a designer picked or had it narrowed down to a couple by the time they announced the engagement. Afterall she's known they were getting married for awhile prior to Nov.

LaRae

What is a bateau neckline?

from Dictionary.com--
noun. a wide, high neckline that follows the curve of the collarbone and ends in points on the shoulder seams. Expand. Also called boat neckline, bateau neck, bateau neckline.

Last edited:
It's like the top she wore to the Wales engagement...that type of neckline.

LaRae

If the dress is plain,I hope she blings it up.I really like off shoulder necklines so I hope(unlikely) she does one

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't the slightest idea what Meghan will wear on her wedding day or who will design it. I feel confident the designer will be British, it will be some shade of white or cream and she will wear a veil and a tiara. And I admit since her sartorial style doesn't do a ton for me personally I'm not really expecting to love or even particularly like the gown. Perhaps she'll surprise me but I have a feeling this will join Mette-Marit's gown at the bottom of my list of modern royal wedding gowns.

If the dress is plain,I hope she blings it up.I really like off shoulder necklines so I hope(unlikely) she does one

Meghan faces enough criticism, without breaking any rules, unwritten or not. It is standard with British royal brides, they wear a British designer and covered shoulders. Yes Autumn had strapless bridesmaids dresses, but they were bridesmaids, and a completely private wedding. I don't think we will see Meghan throw that out the window. Great ways for her to show her own style and taste, without causing too much of a stir.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/...d=tmg_share_tw

The new Jenny Packham that is at the top of this article has some possibilities!

LaRae

Seems pretty simple and very flowly. Would need some serious bling like a necklace. Seems a bit more fairy tale, but it has some good qualities.

:previous: Hmmm, several wedding dresses? I think that there has been discussion around a couple of wedding finale dresses for Ralph & Russo's couture collections which are meant to be showstoppers.

If we rewind the clock seven years and were discussing designers for Kate's wedding dress and McQueen was on the table, I'm pretty sure that McQueen would be dismissed for fear that they would send Kate down the aisle in an explosion of feather and tulle with a jewel encrusted face mask.

As stated previously what works in Ralph & Russo's favor is their craftmanship, and if Meghan actually goes with a simple, unfussy design, then the need for the design team to be expert in cutting, tailoring and fabric selection is that much more important.

I completely agree with you - it's why I've been a fan of R&R from the start.

Also, as you said, Ralph & Russo does NOT have a bridal collection. They - like every other haute couture designer - does an over the top bridal gown as their show stopper. It feels like some don't realize that? The haute couture collections are meant to be over the top and often when they actually are made for an actual person, they are toned down. A lot.

Take for example one of my all time favorite Elie Saab showstopper gowns.

Yet here is how it looked once an actual bride wore it in her wedding. Also here.

It's toned down. The runway gown has embellishment all over. The bridal gown (which isn't part of any bridal collection of Elie Saab - you HAVE to buy the couture version) is toned down to where the embellishment is solely on the bodice and upper part of the skirt and then down the back for the train.

The only time you really see an over the top runway gown from a haute couture show being worn full blast in most cases is for the MET Gala. Or when Bjork wears it, lol. And perhaps Zoe Saldana. But typically, unless the celebrity wears the actual gown from the runway, the actual gown is toned down a bit from what it looked like in the show - unless the bride is lebanese - those are the few cases where I've seen actual showstopper gowns look the same as the ones the brides wore.

I think R&R are a good bet for doing Meghan's wedding gown - or perhaps her reception gown. I do not think we are going to see an explosion of anything - I think shape will rule the day, hopefully with some embellishment to give the gown some sparkle. If no sparkle, then the gown will need some kind of dramatic element to punch it up.

I look forward to whatever we get to see.

Last edited:
Cape dresses have been brought up a few times, including that particular one. But it seems to have been vetoed by most. Especially with having a veil paired with it.

I'm not sure why reactions have been negative, it's lovely and would suit ber well and call attention to any headpiece/tiara she wore... no need for a long veil

Last edited:
I for one would love it if she did a cape gown similiar to that pronovias one we always come back to. Again and again.

Just with some embellishment and slightly fuller skirt so she can walk up the stairs, and curtsy. Not a full skirt, just less of a mermaid and maybe a slim a-line.

She would look amazing in something like that.

Meghan does not seem like a cape type of woman...that's more material to add on. That she would great in them is beside the point. She would look great in almost anything (except that horrible dress they put her in on Suits, don't they have fitters?!)

LaRae

Only Women 6ft + could carry that dress/cape off imo..

Only Women 6ft + could carry that dress/cape off imo..

I saw a shorter bride carry off a similar cape look with an even fuller dress and it looked lovely on her.

I think the fact that the gown is simple in style without much fuss makes it easier.

I could easily see Meghan in something similar - just with a slightly less fitted skirt.

Only 7 weeks now, right?

Please no capes, please nothing like her engagement pictures dress.....I don't think that's asking too much!! lol

LaRae

Meghan does not seem like a cape type of woman...that's more material to add on. That she would great in them is beside the point. She would look great in almost anything (except that horrible dress they put her in on Suits, don't they have fitters?!)

LaRae

I thought that I was the only one that felt the dress she wore on suits was not flattering! I trust that her own gown will be wonderfully made for her including the fit.?

I thought that I was the only one that felt the dress she wore on suits was not flattering! I trust that her own gown will be wonderfully made for her including the fit.?

I was actually surprised they put her in that dress, it didn't flatter her.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom