Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice dress...they could change it to a bateau neckline and have some sort of sleeve...it would need to have a big more umph to it also...better lace or embroidery.

LaRae

Thanks to Pranter for helping locate the Meghan tiara thread. I'll move my tiara post there. Navigating on TRF is a trip!

Where's the thread about the new Lifetime movie on Harry and Meghan?

Last edited:
^ LOVE the 'computer generated' voice over [proven by the bizarre reference to King George 'the sixth Virgin Islands'], and the monotone 'voice'.There is a thread devoted to a Tiara for Ms Markle's wedding, but thanks for posting this.. it was 'a laugh' !

Last edited:
I've never gotten the hype about Victoria's dress. Charlene's was better due to the crystal embroidery and 2 trains.
They are definitely better than the coat dresses someone suggested she might choose.
Well, like she said in Sartorial Splendour, she wasn't surprised at the number of votes for Victoria, but she was surprised it was the overall winner. As she says, it's got something for everyone.

But for me when she stood at the top of the church steps, turned and waved, she looked like a Queen. I think what tipped it over was Victoria herself because she was 'Royal' and pomp and ceremony was no big deal. That just left, "Today I marry Daniel and it's everything I ever dreamt it could be". Her megawatt smile could have lit up the town.

Women marrying into royalty are faced with the wedding (which has turned many a bride into either a nervous wreck or bridezilla! Then there's the whole pomp and ceremony not to mention the odd curtsey and order of precedence. It's not hard to imagine why so many royal brides look a little serious and a lot tense and the only thing you see initially is her face or her dress. You don't see her.

Victoria was not a bit player in her wedding dress's debut because when you saw her you saw Victoria on her wedding day. That is my dearest wish for Meghan, that her dress is everything she dreamed it would be and that she will be soo in love that the only thing she sees is the man she loves waiting for her Sanctuary. And we get to watch a beautiful bride knock the groom's socks off. The odd tear from him wouldn't go astray either!

I've never gotten the hype about Victoria's dress. Charlene's was better due to the crystal embroidery and 2 trains.
They are definitely better than the coat dresses someone suggested she might choose.

Me neither. Way too simple. For me, she is one of the most boring royal brides ever. I want to see *some* splash, which can already be obtained by something very subtle.

I am very careful in my enthusiasm for the wedding - let's say very reserved. I really have to wait and see Meghan to know whether I like how she looks. It's easier with Harry, darnit.

As she says, it's got something for everyone.

I do not agree with that statement, because as I said above, it truly did nothing for me. Never has.

That is my dearest wish for Meghan, that her dress is everything she dreamed it would be and that she will be soo in love that the only thing she sees is the man she loves waiting for her Sanctuary. And we get to watch a beautiful bride knock the groom's socks off. The odd tear from him wouldn't go astray either!

I want that too for Meghan, but I am so selfish to admit that I want to be stunned as well. The groundwork for royal wedding gowns has already been torn down through the years - some really went too simple. I would really like to see a good knock-out again.

Last edited:
@Skippy I agree I find Victoria's dress too simple; her hair make-up and veil were amazing but the dress itself was just "eh". I will say her dress is much better than her mothers, sisters, and sister in law's dress.
What do you think about Charlene 's dress?
I give Kate's dress a pass because I thought she would wear a boring sleek body hugging gown like Victoria; but when I saw it had a full skirt I was so happy.

What do you think about Charlene's dress? it was similar to Victoria's. For me a truly "wow" royal wedding dress was Stephanie's.

Stephanie's dress was gorgeous. I don't think it would suit Meghan though.

LaRae

@skippy I agree I find Victoria's dress too simple; her hair make-up and veil were amazing but the dress itself was just "eh". I will say her dress is much better than her mothers, sisters, and sister in law's dress.
What do you think about Charlene 's dress?
I give Kate's dress a pass because I thought she would wear a boring sleek body hugging gown like Victoria; but when I saw it had a full skirt I was so happy.

What do you think about Charlene's dress? it was similar to Victoria's. For me a truly "wow" royal wedding dress was Stephanie's.

About the Bernadotte women's wedding gowns - I have to admit that I do find Madeleine's dress pretty. Romantic. Silvia's too plain. I do like Sofia's dress but it's not a unique style of gown. And I totally did not like the low setting of Sofia's veil, it was almost in her neck. That was a major disappointment for me.
No royal bride has ever worn her veil so low, not even Mette-Marit and I didn't like her dress either.
The wedding gowns are the only department where I feel I have a preference for Madeleine.

Charlene's dress I never really paid any attention to because I did not care for her wedding and she looked so sad. But I have looked it up and it does have that little extra thing, if only for the neckline that crosses.

Kate... At the time I was wowed by it, but in retrospect I do not find it very stellar. And her veil was very flimsy and too short for me. I like long veils, at least floor length. I do agree about the skirt, it gave a voluminous effect.

Stéphanie of Luxembourg's gown was sumptuous and present. In later years the only thing about it that has come to bother me is her open back. It was delicately covered by her veil that was pinned at the back of her head, but still.
But in the complete picture, her gown was a real stunner.

I would not mind Meghan in a simpler dress, but then it has to have that something that distinguishes it. I have seen some good examples around here. Like that one dress with long sleeves that had a really visible row of buttons on the sleeves.

It's difficult to predict what Meghan will turn up in, because someone's general clothing style may not always reflect what one wants for the wedding. And her first wedding dress is really nothing to go by, totally different circumstances.

Last edited:
That is gorgeous Osipi!

Cyril that is a very pretty dress...but I think it needs more presence to it for that venue.

LaRae

https://bridalsbylori.com/matthew-christopher-0134942/

Simple and elegant..I really like this idea with some alterations.

https://bridalsbylori.com/matthew-christopher-0134944/

Lovely...lots of potential here too.

https://bridalsbylori.com/eve-of-milady-0132829/ waist down only...new bodice.

https://bridalsbylori.com/matthew-christopher-0130275/ this is kinda cool how they are doing the train.

https://bridalsbylori.com/legends-romona-keveza-l7171/ love the skirt, change bodice.

https://bridalsbylori.com/legends-romona-keveza-0131295/ Like this one, adjust the collar to a bateau style..more of one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked what Meghan wore to the Commonwealth service this week: the white coat, the tailored look of the top. So sleek. I could see a wedding gown with that kind of clarity of line and simplicity. She looked great. Hope she goes that route. It can still be 'pretty' with the right bouquet and fabulous necklace and earrings (and tiara). :flowers: But chic.

:previous:I like the skirt in the 4th dress a lot and the 3/4 sleeves. Not a fan of the bodice.

3 of them are too fitted to the lower body...not likely she will wear something like that. Also problems with necklines on some of them.

Really though none of them have the presence needed for that big venue and style of wedding. Plus I would be surprised if she wears something fussy/busy or lacy.

LaRae

I have come to believe that although Meghan liked Carolyn Bisset's gown she is both mature and flexible enough to adapt to her circumstances. I doubt she imagined in her wildest dreams that she would be marrying a Prince in a Castle's 500 year old Chapel with 800 odd guests. A little something 'more's is called for.

If Meghan decides she wants Carolyn's gown then more power to her and her maturity and adaptable personality.

There is a way of being sleek and modern without being in a sheath gown. Carolyn's gown and the over top puff gown like that music video are on two ends of a very large spectrum. There is a way to have a gown with enough presence without it being some theatrical show. Architecture, a bit of bling, a train, a veil with detail, a tiara....all will add the presence a church requires without throwing her own style out the window.

That video dress looks like some flower vomited, sorry but even not for Meghan, I cant imagine a bride wearing it. the bust and neckline drives me crazy. The skirt I could handle with a less fussy top, but its just head to toe :eek: One of those designers that didn't know when to stop.

I love Carolyn’s gown but I hope she won’t wear it at her wedding. Maybe at her reception.

We are very unlikely to see that type of gown at her wedding...it's not right for that venue/type of wedding.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom