Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Have said it before, love Lazaro. His gowns are stunning, some if not the best on 'say yes'. Beautiful fashion forward gowns without being gaudy over the top spectacles like some of the featured designers.

If she were going to go 'more' ...this would look great on her. Really caught my eye. Love the movement and color even.

LaRae

That is a really lovely dress, like it very much. It would look wonderful in motion, not sure about that particular shade though.

Maybe this?
https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-dresses/aire/bobbie.htm#

bobbie.htm

Although I really don't believe she has to get a ball gown for the occasion or venue. I think an embellished sheath, with godets for ease of walking and curtseying, would suit Meghan very well.

Except for the bow, that's a style or similar to a style that has been posted here quite a bit...most of us think would work well on Meghan.

LaRae

:previous: You are right about how often we come back to the same plain and structured types of gowns where the cut is the star.

:previous: You are right about how often we come back to the same plain and structured types of gowns where the cut is the star.

Yep - we're just picking up on Meghan's aesthetic.

I do think we could see a very structured, architectural gown (where the cut is the star) for the wedding and then (if we are lucky to see it) a more fluid, embellished dazzler for the reception.

Yep - we're just picking up on Meghan's aesthetic.

I do think we could see a very structured, architectural gown (where the cut is the star) for the wedding and then (if we are lucky to see it) a more fluid, embellished dazzler for the reception.

I keep coming back to Crown Princess Victoria’s dress which is one of my all time favorite royal wedding gowns. I could see Meghan going in a similar direction.

It's just gorgeous when done well not matter who's doing it...I've seen 3 or 4 designers who can do that well. I can just see her in something like that with a regal looking tiara. Now that we know Harry is going uniform and things will be more formal...I think we are going to see a more formal gown. Even if it doesn't end up being like the ones we have picked out.

LaRae

I did really like Victoria's gown.....would love love to see a bateau collar on Meghan.

LaRae

:previous: Just not that particular style train. ;)

And the neckline would have to be altered. A bateau is great, but it couldn't be so wide. I don't see Meghan flaunting the 'covered shoulders' rule. Victoria's bateau neckline showed quite a bit of shoulder.

I love Victoria's dress (minus the detachable train). The architectural style, with the fantastic tiara and veil, were great.

I'm rooting for something along the lines of a Letizia or Mathilde collar and overall look. :flowers: Meghan would look smashing!

Can we talk about the covered shoulders "rule"? I've read that it's not a requirement of the Anglican church. Is the thought that it's BRF protocol? Did Autumn Phillips not get the memo since her bridesmaids are in strapless dresses?

I don't think Meghan will wear a strapless dress and I'm not advocating for it. I do think the bateau neckline is in play. Just curious about whether a broadly accepted tradition has now become a rule.

Right Marg, needs a different train.

The style of bateau collar she wore in Wales was just lovely on her.

LaRae

I did really like Victoria's gown.....would love love to see a bateau collar on Meghan.

LaRae

Many admired Victoria's gown, but I thought it looked like something a nun would wear when about to take her vows.

Meghan may like a minimalist style, but I'm hoping for something a bit more ornate.

Can we talk about the covered shoulders "rule"? I've read that it's not a requirement of the Anglican church. Is the thought that it's BRF protocol? Did Autumn Phillips not get the memo since her bridesmaids are in strapless dresses?

I don't think Meghan will wear a strapless dress and I'm not advocating for it. I do think the bateau neckline is in play. Just curious about whether a broadly accepted tradition has now become a rule.
Interesting that you bring this up, because I was reading from the bottom up and it did not immediately register that it was Victoria of Sweden, and not Queen Victoria, that was being referenced, which prompted the memory that Victorian royal brides Mary, Alexandra and Victoria herself had varying degrees of exposed shoulders.

Alexandra of Denmark had the most exposed shoulders, although she also had an expansive veil, and she got married during Lent and while the court was in mourning.

Many admired Victoria's gown, but I thought it looked like something a nun would wear when about to take her vows.

Meghan may like a minimalist style, but I'm hoping for something a bit more ornate.

There's not any nuns I've seen wearing anything like that. You do realize I am not talking about the former Queen right?

LaRae

Interesting that you bring this up, because I was reading from the bottom up and it did not immediately register that it was Victoria of Sweden, and not Queen Victoria, that was being referenced, which prompted the memory that Victorian royal brides Mary, Alexandra and Victoria herself had varying degrees of exposed shoulders.

Alexandra of Denmark had the most exposed shoulders, although she also had an expansive veil, and she got married during Lent and while the court was in mourning.

That's so interesting. Thanks for posting pictures. It's funny how quickly we forget our history. Hopefully, modern expectations of decorum and etiquette don't become more conservative than the Victorian royals of over 100 years ago.

There's not any nuns I've seen wearing anything like that. You do realize I am not talking about the former Queen right?

LaRae

Of course! You meant CP Victoria. :flowers:

When I said it reminded me of something a nun would wear, I wasn't speaking literally; I just meant it was so stark that it made me think of that.
For my taste, it is a very plain dress (but Victoria seemed happy with it, and that's what counts).

Of course! You meant CP Victoria. :flowers:

When I said it reminded me of something a nun would wear, I wasn't speaking literally; I just meant it was so stark that it made me think of that.
For my taste, it is a very plain dress (but Victoria seemed happy with it, and that's what counts).

Ah okay! :flowers: I am hoping for something a little more umm glamorous? But we'll see!

LaRae

I guess it all comes down to personal preference and how that plays out in St Georges Chapel. Victoria's choices were hindered by both the historic antique cathedral length full lace veil and the even more historic Cameo tiara.

We have an idea of Meghan's style but, we don't know what tiara she will wear, what sort of veil or even if she will wear either, so that gives the gown great mystery,

I took a trip down (recent) history lane and checked out Ralph and Russo. Oh dear, there wasn't one I could see in an ordinary Anglican Church let alone St Georges. They were so weighed down by "stuff", beads, crystals, lace and heaven knows what else.

Remembering Coco Chanel's dictum on checking in the mirror and taking one thing off I can only imagine they aim to give the bride a multitude of choices as they look like glittering Christmas decorations weighed down with adornments and left me hoping she has not chosen them.

Every dress was the star of the show and I'm a little unsure where a bride would fit in the grand scheme of things. For sure, those I saw would be the gown walking the aisle like a catwalk without a bride.

Last edited:
If those links are supposed to restore faith in R&R for wedding gowns they didn't. I for one hope she is done with R&R. She wore the engagement dress (which I was not at all a fan of the skirt part) that was enough.

LaRae

:previous: I didn't know that faith had been lost when it comes to Ralph & Russo designing Meghan's wedding dress. Looks like they are favored by some and not by others.

I did not care for the Ralph & Russo dress that Meghan wore in the engagement photos, for multiple reasons.

Faith lost because all of the new season (IIRC) wedding dresses done by R&R were posted here (a link) a few weeks ago. They were awful. Very few if anyone liked them.

LaRae

:previous: I am pretty sure Ralph & Russo doesn't do wedding collections. I think that it was their couture collection, with the closing look being a wedding dress, which is traditional for many couture collections.

I'm pretty sure there was a link posted with several wedding dresses, not just the final dress, from R&R with in the last few weeks. There was discussion about it at the time.

LaRae

:previous: Hmmm, several wedding dresses? I think that there has been discussion around a couple of wedding finale dresses for Ralph & Russo's couture collections which are meant to be showstoppers.

If we rewind the clock seven years and were discussing designers for Kate's wedding dress and McQueen was on the table, I'm pretty sure that McQueen would be dismissed for fear that they would send Kate down the aisle in an explosion of feather and tulle with a jewel encrusted face mask.

As stated previously what works in Ralph & Russo's favor is their craftmanship, and if Meghan actually goes with a simple, unfussy design, then the need for the design team to be expert in cutting, tailoring and fabric selection is that much more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom