Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked the general clean lines of the gowns that EloisevonLippe posted, however, any of those with a trumpet effect, namely fitted to just above the knee would not be suitable for no other reason than she would not be able to execute a proper curtsey to HM before the recessional.

https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01884/Curtsy_1884574c.jpg
https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/193303008980825624/
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/47/f0/30/47f030b893eb79bf0e50557765772a8c.jpg
https://media2.picsearch.com/is?09H0eswXkRt4tKPQ9FkbzICUOeL9BKG3v-auGQBmya4&height=215

Traditionally the wedding curtsey has been a very deep one and such curtseys are common with Gala's for visiting foreign royalty.

The gowns below are my personal favourites because their distinction relies totally on the cut and style of the gown and the deportment of the Bride

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/07/01/2f/07012fcf9ee6b53fa6a4197d340e53fb.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/3f/f9/1e/3ff91e3f799ba290485793332fac4d4a.jpg

My favorite so far is that (a symetric collar) Pronovias gown..I've seen some others that are almost as nice but that one remains top for me. It has something that sets it apart.

LaRae

The gowns below are my personal favourites because their distinction relies totally on the cut and style of the gown and the deportment of the Bride. https://i.pinimg.com/564x/3f/f9/1e/3ff91e3f799ba290485793332fac4d4a.jpg

Really like this one. :flowers:

Those wedding curtseys are impressive with a gown rippling around the bride. For that reason alone Diana's gown impresses in that curtsy moment. It works in other ways, too, tho may be an acquired taste. ;) Iconic now.

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/193303008980825624/
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/47/f0/30/47f030b893eb79bf0e50557765772a8c.jpg

Traditionally the wedding curtsey has been a very deep one and such curtseys are common with Gala's for visiting foreign royalty.

Last edited:
The Pronovias which has been brought up by so many people at every stage, by myself very early on, is a clear favorite for many :flowers:

I would love to see something similar.

My favorite so far is that (a symetric collar) Pronovias gown..I've seen some others that are almost as nice but that one remains top for me. It has something that sets it apart. LaRae

Can you supply a picture? :flowers:

https://www.pronovias.com/wedding-dress-flared-long-raigal-61017
You haven't seen it? I've posted it gosh at least 5 times during various conversations in the thread! LOL LaRae

I've seen it just didn't know you were referring to it like that. :flowers: Definitely a gown that I think would be in Meghan's style sites, though I suspect she may have a surprise in her for us. It will be sooooo interesting to see what she does in a month. We'll see if we've 'read' her correctly.

:previous: Yes or Kate's. Sofia's had a similar feel to it. That is what I fear when ever I hear lace, is we are going to get something similar to what we have already seen. Meghan's style is so clearly different then Kate, I hope that is reflected in her wedding dress.

Even though some of them may be not appropriate for a BRF church wedding (the shoulder and skirt) I love all the gown EloisevonLippe posted :flowers:. Love that clear and simple silhouette, I can imagine Meghan wear them (maybe a color version for any event or dinner in future).

Personally I don't want to see another lace wedding gown too (which I think I have said that many times in this thread:lol:), I don't mind the gown that lace is used in some part (back or sleeves) like some gowns EloisevonLippe shared, but I think we have seen so many similar full lace gown in royal wedding in recent years. I'm getting tired of full lace gown unless it's something very different (like the gown of Hanover's Ekaterina which I actually love it).

Last edited:
I just got a flash forward to Meghan stepping out of the car at St. George's Chapel on her wedding day and all of us exclaiming "She's wearing Pranter's dress!!" :lol:

I do love that dress.

Wymanda, the Ellie Saab is gorgeous! Imagine it on Amal Clooney.
Do you think Meghan has the height for it?

Last edited:
https://www.pronovias.com/wedding-dress-flared-long-raigal-61017

You haven't seen it? I've posted it gosh at least 5 times during various conversations in the thread! LOL

LaRae

Indeed we may need reminders over the next four weeks as I think this is the dress that most closely resembles how I imagine Meghan's will be - mostly because of the asymmetric collar and simplicity of style.

I'm wondering how a veil would look with this dress.

Wymanda, the Ellie Saab is gorgeous! Imagine it on Amal Clooney.
Do you think Meghan has the height for it?

The sillouette struck me as very similar to that of HM's wedding gown. The Queen is also small in stature. Also, that little bit of fullness around the hips is something that a lady as slim as Meghan could carry off.

I just got a flash forward to Meghan stepping out of the car at St. George's Chapel on her wedding day and all of us exclaiming "She's wearing Pranter's dress!!" :lol:

I do love that dress.

:D I would die!

I know she won't be wearing THIS dress (not even an Brit/Commonwealth designer) but something along these lines would just fit everything..the venue, the event and even the bride.

Indeed we may need reminders over the next four weeks as I think this is the dress that most closely resembles how I imagine Meghan's will be - mostly because of the asymmetric collar and simplicity of style.

I think it would work with the more old fashioned (now days) when they did silk or satin (whatever material) banding around the edges that matches the dress material...a very simple net otherwise. Or they could do a super well made lace as detail work on the edges instead of the banding.

5 times, think its likely double that :lol:

If Meghan was stalking our board and taking our advice, that would be the front runner. :D

I've lost track ?

Wouldn't that be funny if she had an assistant or something trolling the comment sections of boards about what to wear! We wouldn't even charge her!

I've seen it just didn't know you were referring to it like that. :flowers: Definitely a gown that I think would be in Meghan's style sites, though I suspect she may have a surprise in her for us. It will be sooooo interesting to see what she does in a month. We'll see if we've 'read' her correctly.

Yes that is THE Pronovias .... and I fully expect to be wrong so I won't hate whatever dress she wears just because it's not 'mine'. I posted that Romona K. dresses several times too as a ballgown style which I think Meghan could pull off as well.

I think what would surprise me is something super fitted. I don't expect her to attempt that though.

The sillouette struck me as very similar to that of HM's wedding gown. The Queen is also small in stature. Also, that little bit of fullness around the hips is something that a lady as slim as Meghan could carry off.

Yes similar outside....my concern for Meghan has been she will have a dress wearing her if she gets too elaborate but I'm sure she knows that. If she were 25 I'd be more concerned but she's got a pretty established minimalists type style so I don't think she's going to come out looking like Scarlet or in a dress that causes folks to put sunglasses on.

One thing I could be 'surprised' about is lace. She hasn't worn it much but she has worn it...and if a woman is gonna wear lace that is the day to wear lace. She has access to the best lace in the world too. So I'm prepared to see lace even if in small amounts!

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it would work with the more old fashioned (now days) when they did silk or satin (whatever material) banding around the edges that matches the dress material...a very simple net otherwise. Or they could do a super well made lace as detail work on the edges instead of the banding.

LaRae

The first thing comes to my mind is the simple flowy silk veil of Mette Marit and the embroidered veils of Stephanie and Charlene (it may be my bias as I love their veil-hair so much:lol: and that Pronovias gown actually somehow reminds me of Mette Marit's wedding gown). Something like Margaret's veil probably will look good too.

Last edited:

I do love that dress.

In fairness it would be the 'empress merel dress'. Out of interest I went back to see who first brought out that Pronovias dress. Page 2 EM gave a list of Pronovias gowns, and that was the first one. Both me and Lady Nim picked it from a group of six as our favorite.

Last edited:
This one with the bateau neckline has been one of my faves since we stumbled across it some month or so ago. I just love the shape and cut of it. So regal.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/07/01/2f/0...7d340e53fb.jpg

I adore this dress. It is utterly regal and elegant and so classic and simple. With the right tiara/ earrings and veil she would look the epitome of a princess. I saw it when browsing before I found this site and was so excited to post and then saw you ladies and gents had already found it. Great minds and all :lol:

The Pronovias is lovely but it doesn't have the presence for a royal wedding in a grand chapel and is a little too form-fitting IMHO. :flowers:

The first thing comes to my mind is the simple flowy silk veil of Mette Marit and the embroidered veils of Stephanie and Charlene (it may be my bias as I love their veil-hair so much:lol: and that Pronovias gown actually somehow reminds me of Mette Marit's wedding gown). Something like Margaret's veil probably will look good too.

Which I really like, too. :flowers: You make good points about the veil-hair of the two princesses. ❤️

Yes that is THE Pronovias .... and I fully expect to be wrong so I won't hate whatever dress she wears just because it's not 'mine'. I posted that Romona K. dresses several times too as a ballgown style which I think Meghan could pull off as well.

I think what would surprise me is something super fitted. I don't expect her to attempt that though. LaRae

;) I will imagine everyone's reactions on the day. ? Whenever the family travels I am not on social media, and barring changes in my husband's business travel plans for May, I won't be on TRF the day of the wedding but I definitely will be watching (as best one can in such travel circumstances). Main interests: what dukedom does the Queen grant them? and what bridal gown does Meghan choose (and the colors and flowers and what all)? :flowers: I will imagine the clapping hands OR groans here on TRF. Ha!

P.S. Based on her first wedding dress from her first wedding, and her engagement picture dress, I think Meghan likes a bit of sparkle. While I think we may have figured out her 'architectural' style preference in a gown, I think she may likely have some dramatic sparkle in some way. Can't imagine how she will do it but I am guessing she will.

Last edited:
She can also have two gowns, Lady Nimue... one for the ceremony and one for the reception. I could see a more architectural/shape gown for the ceremony - the right shape would be iconic - and a more sparkly gown for the reception.

She could prove me wrong and do something architectural and sparkly for the ceremony - I'd be very happy with that too.

I'm getting excited now... less than a month to go!!

Breaking news: Our tiaras (required for wedding watching here) have arrived!!

I think we are at 28 days left...so exciting!

I think she will definately have 2 gowns. One for the big event and one for the evening reception. One she can easily move around in for dancing etc. I think it's quite possible she will have a Brit/Commonwealth designer for the wedding gown and another designer (maybe American?) for the party.

LaRae

So, has anyone given any further thought to the idea that Meghan could wear a Stella McCartney creation? Last night we saw Meghan wearing Stella McCartney at what I would consider her most important "royal" engagement so far - as in family event - and the thought struck me of the possibility.....then I found this:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/ba...-mccartney-designing-the-royal-wedding-dress/

Stella McCartney has come up periodically as a possibility, but I really hope that Meghan has chosen a designer who routinely creates wedding gowns for big, formal weddings. Wedding gown construction requires a whole different set of skills than evening gowns or cocktail dresses, and I wasn't under the impression that that was part of Stella McCartney's regular portfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom