Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm following correctly you could say the same about Amal Clooney; being with George made her world wide famous but she was still well known before him in her line of work and other circles.

:previous: Well George admits he "married up" and Harry said "he knew he had to up his game" for Meghan.

Nice to know that a royal and a celebrity both know the true value of their wives.

:previous: Well George admits he "married up" and Harry said "he knew he had to up his game" for Meghan.

Nice to know that a royal and a celebrity both know the true value of their wives.

Even Piers Morgan said in his substantive interview about his meeting up with Meghan that Harry had definitely 'married up' with Meghan, mentioning the 'Sloane Ranger types' Harry was seemingly fated to marry prior. :cool: People who are down on Meghan fail to recognize that Harry meeting Meghan was a lucky break for Harry, and he knows it. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sue this is the correct place but please moderators feel free to move it. Does not have Megan , Harry William and Kate a website of their own? I thought they had one for their charities but now I can not find it, if there is one please I would like to have the link, thank you

I am not sue this is the correct place but please moderators feel free to move it. Does not have Megan , Harry William and Kate a website of their own? I thought they had one for their charities but now I can not find it, if there is one please I would like to have the link, thank you

They do have a website for The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

It can be found here:

https://www.royalfoundation.com

One of the Von Straubenzee boys are getting married Saturday, supposedly Harry will be his best man...and one would assume Meghan is going...and since William is also a friend (along with Kate)..if they are back from Mustique we might see them there as well.

LaRae

LaRae

That is one of the best articles I've read in a long time and thanks, Rudolph, for posting it. I do agree that both Harry and Meghan are learning the ins and the outs of their royal lives together as they go along and they *are* going to make mistakes but hopefully no major ones. This is why they have skilled and competent staff that guide them and advise them that they can depend on recommended to them by the "Firm" for which they work.

Its going to be a pleasure watching these two as they head into the future together. They most certainly will express who they are and be themselves but also know the restraints of what their job entails.

I seriously doubt that Harry and Meghan will change the monarchy to a point that it will disappear off the pages of British history. There is all kinds of changes one can make and I am sure there are some within the royal family that will make changes in ways to help those that need it. Meghan has to learn, she needs time, lots of time to learn the ropes of what she can and can not do......so why the hysteria over her comment about making changes is jumping the gun and creating issues that are not even taking place at this point.

Both William and Harry know who they are and that their heritage means something to the entire family, they are not the only ones in the royal family, it is a Firm with lots of relatives and officials who have a say in all the matters of the Firm, not just one part of it. For Meghan to succeed she must become part to the package as a whole, she can not and will not operate within the Firm on her own and do things her way and neither will Harry.....and I really think that Harry knows this and will guide Meghan to doing what is the right way within the FIRM........

Terrific article Rudolph, thanks for posting it.

Here’s a very benign piece about Harry and Meghan for which Jane Barr was ruthlessly attacked for daring to write something that could remotely be considered critical of H&M.

Meghan & Harry Should Not "Push the Envelope"

Ok, I think she completely took what Nacho said out of context. Knowing Nacho and the Sussexes, what he meant by pushing the envelope is advocating for issues that they are passionate about and lend their voices to something that isn't popular to talk about. For example, Meghan's piece on period. I'm well aware that there has been some discussion of it, but the TIME article did shine a much brighter light to it (this was from a woman that runs a program to address this issue in a developing nation around the time of the wedding, and Myna Mahila Foundation). And even in the Western society, it's a topic we shy away from because it's not comfortable to talk about. You CAN make the world a better place without causing a scandal. And there is always someone's feather they are ruffling for simply existing. I highly doubt Nacho was talking about causing unnecessary controversy. Some do like to get up in arms about the smallest comment.

But for some reason, a lot of people can only see pushing the envelope as causing controversy. Diana shaking hands with an AIDS patient to show you can't contract the disease by touching people with HIV, so that they are ostracized from society, was pushing the envelope for her time, yet that's one of the things Diana did that didn't threaten to bring down the monarchy.

Here’s a very benign piece about Harry and Meghan for which Jane Barr was ruthlessly attacked for daring to write something that could remotely be considered critical of H&M.

Meghan & Harry Should Not "Push the Envelope"

Jane is welcomed to her opinion, and I enjoy her posting on Kate's fashion, at times. But all this hand wringing is tiresome.

The BRF should aim to improve peoples lives and make a positive impact. Who could argue that the likes of the Invictus Games, Sentebale or the Princes Trust for Charles are anything but net positives for the family and the populations they serve? One could argue the same about Heads Together (although I am dubious about its impact) and its goal to change the conversation around mental health. How is that not trying to change the world?

Royals have changed and adapted with the times---and are rewarded for it. The Queen instigated walkabouts as a more normal part of royal contact even though it 'SIMPLY WASN'T DONE' and people were concerned it would reduce the "mystique" and allure. Diana communed with AIDs victims, even though it was "unseemly" and "controversial" but the Monarchy was better for those moments of connection.

I get the feeling that Harry and Meghan (and the Cambridges likely) want to improve the world and leave a positive contribution with real teeth. That is a good thing IMO and the royals are primed to do so in a way that many are not in the public eye.

What is now seen as "rocking the boat" will in 20 years be looked at as a bold and needed step in the right direction. Count on it.

The BRF should aim to improve peoples lives and make a positive impact. Who could argue that the likes of the Invictus Games, Sentebale or the Princes Trust for Charles are anything but net positives for the family and the populations they serve? One could argue the same about Heads Together (although I am dubious about its impact) and its goal to change the conversation around mental health. How is that not trying to change the world?

I don't know that much about the impact of the Heads Together campaign in general but I have noticed that at least in higher education the topicnis much more prominent since the campaign launched compared to thdpe years prior. So, that's at least a start.

In her article, Jane Barr gave the context of the meaning ‘change the world’ as most people understand it.

If now we’re saying just being passionate about charity work constitutes ‘changing the world’, that applies to every royal.

‘Pushing the envelope’ isn’t a phrase I want associated with any British royal, because as Jane correctly points out, pushing the envelope and changing the world requires upsetting the apple cart and ruffling feathers.

And because monarchy is a top down organisation, it’s almost impossible for royals not directly in the line of succession to make a huge impact.

If Diana married Prince Edward, we wouldn’t be talking about her today.

So Harry's Audi is making headlines. Personally, I think the family speculation is dumb because that car is more than sufficient for a family of three. What I find more intresting is how low the mileage is. But I suppose he has multiple cars at his disposal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engla...s_mchannel=social&ns_linkname=english_regions

The car is just about a year old if that, I think the longest journey its possible been on is London to the Cotswolds? Harry was out of the country a bit in the last year so i'm not surprised by the low mileage.

:previous:

Would Meghan have been invited to 'present an honour' had she not married Harry, as per the source? Not a chance.

As I haven't been able to find any pictures of Meghan attending any Emmys ceremonies in years past, I doubt she has been invited / offered a ticket before.

The Television Academy website (they run the Emmys) states that "Tickets for the Primetime Emmy Awards are offered on an as available basis to Television Academy Active and Associate members and nominees". It depends on how many members of the Academy there are and how many seats are available in the venue (I know for the Oscars, as an example, there are over 6,000 Academy members - but the Kodak Theatre only has seating for 3,300 people, and they have to fit the nominees (and "It" people the organisers want to attend) into that number as well. The remaining seats are then balloted between Academy members).

This is what gets me about DM. According to them, this decision was a clear line in the sand. I thought that line was clearly drawn by Meghan herself when she announced during engagement interview that she's moving on to the next chapter of her life?:lol:

:previous:

Would Meghan have been invited to 'present an honour' had she not married Harry, as per the source? Not a chance.

As I haven't been able to find any pictures of Meghan attending any Emmys ceremonies in years past, I doubt she has been invited / offered a ticket before.

The Television Academy website (they run the Emmys) states that "Tickets for the Primetime Emmy Awards are offered on an as available basis to Television Academy Active and Associate members and nominees". It depends on how many members of the Academy there are and how many seats are available in the venue (I know for the Oscars, as an example, there are over 6,000 Academy members - but the Kodak Theatre only has seating for 3,300 people, and they have to fit the nominees (and "It" people the organisers want to attend) into that number as well. The remaining seats are then balloted between Academy members).

You are correct to a certain point. There have been exceptions when "certain" people have been invited to only give out special awards and did not ever sit in audience during actual show but stayed backstage. One Grace Kelley after she was married and the most memorable one was Kathryn Hepburn who NEVER was at Oscars even to accept her own awards but did appear once to present an award. It is on You Tube if you are interested. It wouldn't surprise me though if those idiots of the entertainment industry actually wanted Meghan [and of course] P Harry to attend as most of these tedious award shows have really gone down greatly in viewers over the years. It MIGHT have boosted viewing ratings.

The invite to the Emmy is clearly a ratings stunt. Viewership has been down. It would have been an slight to the nominees because the Sussexes would have drawn all the attention.

I am glad that Meghan has drawn that line in the sand about not going for she knows just were she is in life and what is more important, her husband and his family!

well both royalty and Hollywood are suffering in terms of public perception so.... it may have been a feeler to see if they could help each other. And it might have been a go if she were a Grace Kelly going back as a princess to accept an Oscar.... but she’s no Grace and the emmys are like worse off than the golden globes in terms of public interest! So this year they’ll have to rely on the usual round of presidential bashing and shock effect one liners.

Well, I'm glad Suits is finally getting the recognition it deserves. Some have been robbed simply because they are on USA.

Anyways, I doubt Meghan would've attended either way. For some reason, people still look on actors and actresses this day and age. :bang:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suits_(U.S._TV_series)

Looks like some in the Suits cast were nominated for Emmys. As nominees, they would have been invited.

Not sure where you’re seeing that. Suits has never received any Emmy nominations. Of the main cast, I think the only ones who have received Emmy nominations are Dulé Hill (nominated for his role in The West Wing) and Katherine Heigl (won for her role in Grey’s Anatomy), and they both only joined the cast recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom