Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I can't see either Harry or Meghan visiting or touring the US until the situation as regards her family is resolved in some way.

I don't think the situation with her family is going to be resolved in the foreseeable future, does that mean they won't visit the US for years or possibly ever?

Any visit to the US involving family and friends would not happen as an official tour. They may be able to "catch up" with friends and family while at a certain location but the purpose of the event at any US location would be determined by the UK and US governments.

Private visits to the US would not be made public with an itinerary and done solely under the radar.

I don't think the situation with her family is going to be resolved in the foreseeable future, does that mean they won't visit the US for years or possibly ever?

Why would that have an effect on anything ever? They can visit privately anytime they want. It’s not as if they have to see anyone they don’t want to.

Why would that have an effect on anything ever? They can visit privately anytime they want. It’s not as if they have to see anyone they don’t want to.

I was quoting Marge, I didn't come up with the idea they wouldn't visit. I agree, it would be silly to let her family stop them touring/visiting the US. I think they know her family isn't going to stop anytime soon.

I don't really see many similarities between the two women.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Should be titled "look at these pictures where they both smile, both wear dark dresses, both part their hair in the middle. So they are the same".

Perhaps the stupidest thing I have ever seen in the DM.

I wonder Harry is not traveling with this wife on a personal to visit her family and friends? Her family is his family now too. Now, I don't understand that at all?

What are you talking about? They haven't gone to the US/Canada as far as any of us know since they married.

LaRae

Wallis Simpson and Meghan Markle are nothing alike whatever in the things that truly matter. They come from completely different backgrounds, different upbringings, and vastly different eras. To boot Meghan is absolutely gorgeous, California born and bred, down-to-earth, and politically liberal. Wallis was none of those things!

Hailing from America and both having style and a love for clothes and fashion are the major similarities, but again both are from totally different eras in terms of fashion sense. The fact that they both married British royal princes (in Wallis' case, an abdicated king who returned to being a prince) is happenstance. Meghan has in common with many of her royal lady in-laws, the distinction of marrying a British prince, or a handsome male member of the royal family in the case of Autumn. In fact, Meghan surely has much more in common with Autumn Phillips and with Duchess Kate, than she has in common with the ancient Wallis. ?

In terms of a different era, Meghan is a self-made career woman who has said: 'I don't want to be a woman who lunches, I want to be a woman who works.' Wallis was the Queen of Lunching at the finest restaurants, and partying on the finest yachts and hobnobbing with the finest aristocrats on the continent. While on her second husband, Wallis happened to meet the then Prince of Wales due to her girlfriend who was dating the PofW asking her to look after him. Well, look after him Wallis did! And the rest is history.

Even in terms of style, Wallis, although elegant, graceful and fashion savvy, was also very much more grand and mannered than Meghan, who is a no-nonsense, laid-back, low-maintenance type of diva. That is partly due to different eras, but also to different personalities.

Meghan is a woman who made her own career and she was successful in her own right prior to meeting Prince Harry. She was not looking for a knight-in-shining armor to rescue her and carry her off to happily ever after (which does not exist anyway). If anything, Meghan appears to have done most of the rescuing, and their soulful relationship seems the closest thing to rare and divine that love can be. Yet, what most people seem to miss is: that kind of love clearly takes dedication, commitment and sacrifice.

In Wallis' case, I do not think she truly wanted to marry Edward. I think Wallis was perfectly happy being the influence behind the throne, and staying married to her husband, while having her cake and eating it too with Edward VIII. However, it all ultimately blew up in both their faces. No matter the overdone romanticizing of Edward renouncing the throne. At bottom, he was a needy, weak, careless dandy of a man who found in Wallis the domineering and loving taskmaster of a mother he never had in his own mother.

Meghan and Harry have much more mutual respect and understanding for each other, a deeper and truer love, and a more balanced and harmonious relationship. Plus Harry will never be King, and there was no huge royal family opposition nor any political upheaval surrounding his falling in love with Meghan. In addition, Meghan was divorced and available when she met Prince Harry, and she'd only been married and divorced once.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to come at Meghan by comparing her to Wallis, they better do it with something other than fashion. If there was anything impeccable about Wallis, it was her dress sense. Although, I'm seeing two women that are from different eras and dressed like they are.

What are you talking about? They haven't gone to the US/Canada as far as any of us know since they married.

LaRae

Indeed. They only married 2 months ago and her family and friends all came over for the wedding. They went on a honeymoon and have been rather busy working since. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd spend some time with her mother and some of her friends in August but it's entirely up to them how they want to spend their vacation time (and not for Harry to decide: "we have to visit your friends now").

... While on her third husband, Wallis happened to meet the then Prince of Wales due to her girlfriend who was dating the PofW asking her to look after him. Well, look after him Wallis did! And the rest is history...
I’m pretty sure Wallis was on her second husband when she met the POW and that he became her third when she married him after the abdication.
Wallis’ family came from what passed as upper crust in the USA, although she herself was poor & depended on her Uncle to pay for her schooling. Thus, it was important that she find a man to support her, which she managed to do throughout her life. Nor was Wallis particularly interested in monogamy, hence her willingness to commence an affair with the POW while he was still involved with Thelma and she married to Ernest.
Meghan comes from a very different background and has gained what she has through her own hard work.
The biggest difference between the two IMO is that Wallis seemed a very cold, demanding, and caustic woman - she treated the Duke of Windsor dreadfully for much of their married life, whereas Meghan appears to be warm and caring in general and towards Harry especially.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to come at Meghan by comparing her to Wallis, they better do it with something other than fashion. If there was anything impeccable about Wallis, it was her dress sense. Although, I'm seeing two women that are from different eras and dressed like they are.

Right. Wallis did indeed have impeccable fashion sense, especially in her era. She knew how to dress her body. And yes as I said earlier, it was definitely a different era in terms of dress, manners, etiquette, etc. Wallis had such style and elegance that it became her greatest attribute, since she was considered rather homely in terms of her facial features.

I’m pretty sure Wallis was on her second husband when she met the POW and that he became her third when she married him after the abdication.
Wallis’ family came from what passed as upper crust in the USA, although she herself was poor & depended on her Uncle to pay for her schooling. Thus, it was important that she find a man to support her, which she managed to do throughout her life. Nor was Wallis particularly interested in monogamy, hence her willingness to commence an affair with the POW while he was still involved with Thelma and she married to Ernest.
Meghan comes from a very different background and has gained what she has through her own hard work.
The biggest difference between the two IMO is that Wallis seemed a very cold, demanding, and caustic woman - she treated the Duke of Windsor dreadfully for much of their married life, whereas Meghan appears to be warm and caring in general and towards Harry especially.

Yes, thanks for that correction. Edward became Wallis' third husband after his abdication. She had two living husbands she had divorced when she married Edward.

And yes, that's right regarding Wallis' well-to-do family, coupled with an impoverished background for her immediate family. And indeed it was a different era for women in general, so there's no comparison between Wallis and Meghan at all in the respect of Meghan even having to contemplate depending on a husband for her lifestyle and well-being. Albeit some of the age-old patriarchal cultural myths and notions still exist to this day.

I already outlined Meghan's independence, and success through her own determination and hard work. The fact that Meghan was already independently wealthy, and had achieved lifetime goals and success and knew who she was as a person, frankly made it easier for her to give it all up for a new life with her British royal prince. The fact they will be focusing on issues dear to her humanitarian heart is icing on the cake.

As far as Wallis being overly caustic and cold. That might be overplayed to a degree. I think she was domineering and abrupt (some say cruel) toward Edward. But I think that was on purpose and that he loved it. She knew just how to play and manage him. Any more on their relationship, I would take to the appropriate Duke and Duchess of Windsor thread.

...Meghan was divorced and available when she met Prince Harry, and she'd only been married and divorced once.

This is a matter of opinion, not fact. IMO. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-girlfriend-while-she-was-still-dating-celeb/

She and Cory lived together, playing husband & wife without the paperwork. It was a committed (on his part at least) relationship for years. I think if Wallis had had the ability to live with and not marry she would have done so the second time around as well, that was not a choice in her era.

Last edited:
This is a matter of opinion, not fact. IMO. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-girlfriend-while-she-was-still-dating-celeb/

She and Cory lived together, playing husband & wife without the paperwork. It was a committed (on his part at least) relationship for years. I think if Wallis had had the ability to live with and not marry she would have done so the second time around as well, that was not a choice in her era.

That article is speculation based on things we now know isn’t true. They didn’t meet in May in Toronto. Meghan wasn’t even in Toronto while Harry was there. They met in July.

You are either husband and wife, or not. This isn’t kindergarten where people play house. By all accounts, Cory and Meghan have broken up by the time she met Harry. In fact, Cory has been respectful this whole time despite press harassment. The only time he and his mother spoke out has been nothing but nice things about Meghan. Of course, some with ulterior motive like to speculate Meghan was still with Cory at that time. Yet, that’s not supported by ANYTHING we’ve heard from relevant parties.

Wallis didn’t marry men because she can’t just live with them. Lack of marriage certificate certainly didn’t prevent her and David from having an affair. She married men because she depended on them for her livelihood.

Last edited:

Meghan had a live-in relationship with Cory Vitiello for about two years. They began to drift apart due to Meghan's changing career interests and goals. I know from looking at Cory's Instagram that he took care of her dogs quite often when she was away or on long shoots at the studio. He baby-sat the dogs and took them to the dog spa, etc. It looks like Cory and Meghan had a loving and committed relationship to the degree that they both wanted.

None of us were in the relationship, so we do not know intimate details. Much of what any of us know is from gossip and speculation. Cory gave away nothing when he conceded to the Daily Fail interview in the lead-up to the royal wedding. I think Cory and his Mom got tired of being bombarded by the media. Likely through a go-between they both gave Meghan a heads-up that they would be speaking to Daily Fail. However, they each only had positive things to say. Neither shed any light whatsoever on why Cory and Meghan broke up. Cory's Mom spoke about Meghan visiting for Christmas dinner in 2015, and she seemed wistful about the fact that Meghan and her son had been happy together. But she knew nothing about why they broke up, and said she'd never asked why. Again, Cory gave DF nothing. He laughed at the more intrusive questions.

Meghan's former p.r. agency friend, Gina, has given interviews suggesting that Cory and Meghan simply found themselves on different paths in life and were drifting apart. It's purely speculation on my part, but sometimes accomplished men can tend to be a bit insecure when a strong, feminine, career-minded woman begins to have outsize success or achievements. And I think this possibly began to happen in the Cory/Meghan relationship when Meghan received attention for her work with the U.N. Even though the larger public did not know much about Meghan prior to Harry, by 2015 and early 2016, Meghan was becoming widely known and admired in entertainment, fashion & beauty, and humanitarian circles.

Lucky Prince Harry met Meghan at just the right time, before the world fully discovered her and before larger fame claimed her. :D Some people think it's Harry that made Meghan. But Harry knows otherwise. Like he said to himself when he first laid eyes on her, "I'm going to have to up my game."

Meanwhile, Prince Harry doesn't strike me as a guy who feels insecure around a strong woman, because his own mother was a strong woman who grounded him and surrounded him with love. Diana also taught her two boys that it was okay to have fun in life, and that it's important to give back to others in need. I believe Prince Harry sees these particular qualities in Meghan, which seemingly reminds him of his mother.

Last edited:
Btw, just to highlight how inaccurate some of the reporting about Cory and Meghan are. One of the articles that’s aimed to analyze their breakup before the wedding said that Meghan took credit for a pasta dish Cory made, and he decided he’s had enough from that. His own mother laughed it off and said she’s never heard of it. As much as some like there to be a tawdry story, sometimes people just realize they aren’t for each other and break up. It’s shocking, but it’s life.

Last edited:
The timeline of Harry and Meghan’s relationship was thoroughly discussed in the Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings thread prior to their engagement. Let’s move on from further discussion here.

Well, we are all now faced with at least a month of "stories" because it's now time for the annual news famine that is the summer holidays and, while a 'sun, sea and sand' holiday may be calling, I think it will be time with Philip and HM, Pa and Camilla and a bit of polo.

(If we're really lucky we may even see them moving into the actual home gifted by HM if indeed she has done so.)

The continuing comparisons with Wallis Simpson are beyond ridiculous. Meghan is a black biracial woman and an advocate for good causes from a very young age. She’s a longtime humanitarian for those truly in need.

She also looks nothing like Wallis, a person who had real life connections to Nazis and their politics. Like Princess Anne, Meghan is divorced just the once. And unlike Meghan, Wallis was divorced twice before she got to marry her Prince (not that I’m suggesting there’s anything wrong with being divorced twice.). Seems being American is the only similarity these two very different women share in common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we are all now faced with at least a month of "stories" because it's now time for the annual news famine that is the summer holidays and, while a 'sun, sea and sand' holiday may be calling, I think it will be time with Philip and HM, Pa and Camilla and a bit of polo.

(If we're really lucky we may even see them moving into the actual home gifted by HM if indeed she has done so.)

Well, hopefully we'll get some photos from Charlie van Straubenzee's wedding. It's on August 4th, same day as Meghan's birthday. They'll probably go off somewhere to celebrate after that.

Honestly the Wallis comparison is tired and old. I think she resembles Jennie Jerome AKA Winston Churchill's mother. Can't the rags get a little more creative?

Would like to say how giddy I am to see Harry with his wedding ring.

I think it's very nice he wears one..but I figured he would, he's worn bracelets (at least one matching Meghan's) so it would of been kinda surprising if he didn't wear a ring!

LaRae

Bishop Michael Curry will be having cancer surgery on Tuesday:
https://people.com/royals/royal-wedding-bishop-faces-prostate-cancer-surgery/amp/

May God bless him and I hope the cancer will be successfully removed.

I saw this on a news blip that he'll be having surgery due to prostate cancer and the first thought that came to mind is that this is a man that has a profound support system in his corner going in. He's got his Creator near and dear to him to get him through this.

So apparently Meghan and Harry uped the PDA at the Polo game they went to. Seeing that makes me happy and forget the negativity around them. They appear so in love

And I think this possibly began to happen in the Cory/Meghan relationship when Meghan received attention for her work with the U.N. Even though the larger public did not know much about Meghan prior to Harry, by 2015 and early 2016, Meghan was becoming widely known and admired in entertainment, fashion & beauty, and humanitarian circles.

i have to say that i didn't know who meghan was at all before her relationship with harry hit the tabloids (i believe i had to google her when i saw the news online). to claim that she was becoming widely known or that she received attention for her work with the U.N is in my opinion an overstatement. i would say a large proportion of the population was in a similar boat to me - she wasn't that known prior to harry.

i have to say that i didn't know who meghan was at all before her relationship with harry hit the tabloids (i believe i had to google her when i saw the news online). to claim that she was becoming widely known or that she received attention for her work with the U.N is in my opinion an overstatement. i would say a large proportion of the population was in a similar boat to me - she wasn't that known prior to harry.

I believe the original poster is talking about insiders. For example, how many people that have a passing interest in fashion knew Clare Waight Keller's name before Meghan's wedding dress? Doesn't mean she wasn't a powerhouse in her own right in the industry. UN certainly took attention to Meghan enough to reach out to her, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom