Queen Letizia Jewels, 2: Jan. 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too are hoping for the Shell tiara to reappear. Pity. But the floral tiara also belongs to Queen Sofia so i don't think that is the reason the Shell tiara remains unworn. I also think that the floral tiara was appropriate for this State Visit as in the spanish collection they have either the big tiaras (fleur-de-Lys and the 2 pearl tiaras) or the smaller ones. Unfortunately nothing medi-sized.

> I think we should give on expecting to see Letizia use the Shell tiara, she has only ever used it once.

> Since becoming Queen in 2014, she has only used the Floral tiara, the 3 big guns (Fleur de Lys, the Cartier Pearl and the Loop tiaras), and one one occassion, the Ansorena FdL. The Prussian has never been used by Letizia since becoming Queen.

> Is it that the Shell and the Prussian are being kept by Queen Sofia to bequeath to Elena and Christina, or perhaps Leonor and Sofia? Or is it just an issue of personal preference and Letizia is just not keen on those tiara? As of now, we just do not know.

The Mellerio Shell is a fantastic piece of artwork and craftsmanship. As a diadem however, the main purpose, it is not very wearable and the shell design gets lost in the hairdo.

Letizia seems to prefer the floral tiara ,it really suits her too.
Sadly she's not very imaginative on the jewel front and we can cope with the minimal look for daytime but should be wearing better jewels for the State Gala's

Duc et Pair said:
As a diadem however, the main purpose, it is not very wearable and the shell design gets lost in the hairdo.

Isn't it? Queen Sofia wore it frequently. She even had it on an entire day in Stockholm, with no visible problems. It seemed wearable enough. Lots of tiaras will have dangling elements, f.e. the lover's knot tiara now used by the Pss of Wales.

'Losing' the shells in a hairdo will perhaps have more to do with the particular hairstyle of Q. Sofia and more royal women of her generation. The one time that Letizia wore it, it stood out much more. The same happened for much of the Dutch tiaras which were lost in Beatrix' bouffante hairstyle and looked almost without exception much nicer on her daughter-in-law.

muriel said:
I really see no problem with a larger tiara being used for a state visit from a republic.

Fair point, why would the Queen need to tone down for this, as the hostess she will indeed set the tone and other will need to adapt in the same way that royal visitors will have to adapt when visiting other countries on a SV.

muriel said:
Is it that the Shell and the Prussian are being kept by Queen Sofia to bequeath to Elena and Christina, or perhaps Leonor and Sofia? Or is it just an issue of personal preference and Letizia is just not keen on those tiara? As of now, we just do not know.

One would expect Queen Sofia to appreciate the historic importance of the Shell tiara and leave it to the main line eventually. It would be wonderful -if a tad big- as a starter tiara for the Pss of Asturias, though I expect the Spanish RF to continue the tradition of sharing tiaras while reserving the largest ones for the Queen. Of course the sisters of JC did receive some personal tiaras, but they would have more use for them than JCs daughters will have.

Last edited:
Letizia seems to prefer the floral tiara ,it really suits her too.
Sadly she's not very imaginative on the jewel front and we can cope with the minimal look for daytime but should be wearing better jewels for the State Gala's

As LadyFinn mentioned, as Princess of Asturias, she paired the Floral Tiara at a Russian state visit with an emerald demi-parure, including earrings and necklace. She looked stunning in that picture!

As queen consort, she now has access to the big gun tiaras, but she seems to have scaled back on the accessories compared to her tenure as Princess of Asturias. It doesn't make much sense really.

One would expect Queen Sofia to appreciate the historic importance of the Shell tiara and leave it to the main line eventually.

I would expect so. Sofia appreciates the imprtance of a proper collection of jewellery for the main line.

Of course the sisters of JC did receive some personal tiaras, but they would have more use for them than JCs daughters will have.

It will be interesting to see if some of the historic jewellery can be acquired from the sisters of JC.

As LadyFinn mentioned, as Princess of Asturias, she paired the Floral Tiara at a Russian state visit with an emerald demi-parure, including earrings and necklace. She looked stunning in that picture!

As queen consort, she now has access to the big gun tiaras, but she seems to have scaled back on the accessories compared to her tenure as Princess of Asturias. It doesn't make much sense really.

Perhaps as Princess of Asturias she was not entire free in how much Jewels she should wear, or was advised to add a necklace etc. And since becoming Queen she can do as she pleases, and that is not to wear as much Jewels

Isn't it? Queen Sofia wore it frequently. She even had it on an entire day in Stockholm, with no visible problems. It seemed wearable enough. Lots of tiaras will have dangling elements, f.e. the lover's knot tiara now used by the Pss of Wales.

Kate has no problems with QMLK while it literally gives Diana headache. Maybe same case for Sofia and Letizia with the shell tiara.

I always love the shell tiara and I want to see it again as well. However its only appearance on Letizia doesn't convince me that it suits her. Her updo at that time is a problem, but I also think tiaras with such shape (with higher centre element) don't suit her.

Of course I don't mind to be proven wrong :D.

I would expect so. Sofia appreciates the imprtance of a proper collection of jewellery for the main line.

It will be interesting to see if some of the historic jewellery can be acquired from the sisters of JC.

With regard to the historic jewels of Queen Sofia and the sisters of JC ,we will hopefully have better look with Leonor and Sofia who might appreciate them more.
Letizia doesn't seem to be that sentimental regarding jewels as with other royal ladies.

Considering she wore the one ring reportedly from her daughters and now the other ring supposedly from Felipe all the time, I would say she's quite sentimental.

Is there any truth to the rumor that she no longer wears many of her old jewels because they may have suspect origins or be linked to Juan Carlos or both?

Is there any truth to the rumor that she no longer wears many of her old jewels because they may have suspect origins or be linked to Juan Carlos or both?

I don't think that is true.

What brooch is she wearing in London tonight?

Something borrowed and something new for tonight!

Thank you all! She looks stunning. The fact that Letizia is only of the more bejeweled ladies tonight says it all.

A really nice addition to the queen's earrings coolection.

Those are great on Letizia. Are they sold out on the website yet?

I’m sorry if this has been discussed on this board and previous ones, but can someone please tell me why doesn’t Queen Letizia wear her wedding ring and when she stopped?

When I checked google, it said it was because of her I think former brother-in-law but it never went into detail.

I saw a pic of her recently and noticed her without the ring, so I checked other pics of her in recent years and she hasn’t worn it and I’ve been interested on this topic ever since! If the PoW did this, there would be an uproar and a bunch of divorce rumours circulating.

I’m sorry if this has been discussed on this board and previous ones, but can someone please tell me why doesn’t Queen Letizia wear her wedding ring and when she stopped?

When I checked google, it said it was because of her I think former brother-in-law but it never went into detail.

I saw a pic of her recently and noticed her without the ring, so I checked other pics of her in recent years and she hasn’t worn it and I’ve been interested on this topic ever since! If the PoW did this, there would be an uproar and a bunch of divorce rumours circulating.

Interesting observation. In general, Letizia doesn't seem to be into jewelry that much. I never noticed that she wasn't wearing her wedding band, so cannot help you with that. However, the Prince of Wales does NOT wear a wedding band. He never has. While it was shortly discussed at the time of the wedding, it hasn't been discussed ever since as far as I recall.

Last edited:
Letizia's Coreterno ring (with the "Love moves everything" message) is one of her most frequently worn pieces and that's widely speculated to have come from Felipe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom