Queen Letizia Jewels, 2: Jan. 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The earrings look gorgeous on Letizia.

Queen Letizia of Spain wore the Grey Pearl Brooch of the Joyas de Pasar for the Funeral of King Constantine II of Greece at the Metropolitan Cathedral in Athens!

Today in Athens

Queen Letizia of Spain wore the Grey Pearl Brooch of the Joyas de Pasar for the Funeral of King Constantine II of Greece at the Metropolitan Cathedral in Athens!

Today in Athens

The queen's jewels were perfect for the event.

Today in Athens

IMHO, obviously apart from Queen Anne Marie herself, Queen Letizia was the best and most appropriately dressed lady at the service.

Information on these jewels that pass from monarch to monarch: the joyas de pasar, or, “the jewels that are passed on.”

https://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2017/07/joyas-de-pasar-jewels-of-spanish-queens.html

And more detailed information on the Spanish language Wikipedia version.

Make sure you right click and select Translate from the drop-down menu if you don't see the quick web browser window drop down asking if you want the page translated to your PC's language.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyas_de_pasar

Excerpt:
The jewels of passing are a set of jewels gathered by Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain, linked to the head of the Spanish Royal House, and worn in turn by the queens of Spain.​

It was the Countess of Barcelona who coined the expression jewels "to pass", when Queen Victoria Eugenia (born Princess of Battenberg) gave her the historical pieces when her husband, King Alfonso XIII, died...

This brings up a very special, and yet sad, touch to Queen Letizia's using them for King Constantine's funeral.

Last edited:
Thank goodness for the forward thinking of the late Countess of Barcelona!

Today Queen Letizia wore her rarely seen diamond drop earrings that the Cordovan Jewellers Association of San Eloyi gifted her in 2005.
The earrings are rarely worn and were first seen in 2004 only to be locked away for 19 years and reappeared in late January at the Meeting of the Spanish Federation of Rare Diseases in Alicante.

I believe that this is only the third time we've seen them worn?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Mnuf5kgTBHwZuS7AA

I love how the tiara looks like a hairband here and her hair looks great as usual.

I would have rather seen another tiara but if I'm not mistaken the last times she wore a tiara they were big guns and with the Colombians refusing to wear white-tie she wasn't going to wear anything bigger.

The Queen is also debuting a brooch from the "joyas de pasar"

https://images.ecestaticos.com/WtlN.../ecc/28a/2beecc28a5e061092ba794785d596b5a.jpg

I love how the tiara looks like a hairband here and her hair looks great as usual.

I would have rather seen another tiara but if I'm not mistaken the last times she wore a tiara they were big guns and with the Colombians refusing to wear white-tie she wasn't going to wear anything bigger.

The Queen is also debuting a brooch from the "joyas de pasar"

https://images.ecestaticos.com/WtlN.../ecc/28a/2beecc28a5e061092ba794785d596b5a.jpg

The brooch is exquisite. The Floral Tiara is not a bad piece either, but I don't like it with this particular hairstyle and placement as a hairband.

I agree that the occasion did not call for one of her big guns, but I was hoping to see Letizia make her first appearance with the Shell Tiara as Queen.

I think she and the dress and jewels look fantastic here. And the King, of course....

Like Mbruno I am always hoping to see the shell tiara. But I understand it may be property of Q. Sofia. The floral tiara itself is nice and appropriate for a visit from a republic. It must be comfortable to wear too. The placement as headband with the hair down and in combination with a red dress reminds me of CPss Mary appearance at her pre-wedding concert in 2004. Of course nearly 20 years later it does indeed look a bit girly. The brooch is a wonderful surprise.

The placement as headband with the hair down and in combination with a red dress reminds me of CPss Mary appearance at her pre-wedding concert in 2004.

Fair point. The Princess of Wales had a similar look for the 2022 Diplomatic Reception when she paired a red embellished Jenny Packham gown with the Ltous Flower tiara, and had her hair open.

The floral tiara itself is nice and appropriate for a visit from a republic. It must be comfortable to wear too.

I really see no problem with a larger tiara being used for a state visit from a republic.

I don't mind the floral tiara, I don't mind wearing tiara in headband position as well. However the floral tiara is one of those doesn't look well in headband position. Good to see the bow brooch again.

BTW maybe we can cross out the floral tiara for this weekend (if there's any tiara event :D).

The diamond bow brooch and tiara were lovely but she needed more stand out earrings as its a State Gala.
No bracelets either but that's nothing new on the Letizia front!

The diamond bow brooch and tiara were lovely but she needed more stand out earrings as its a State Gala.
No bracelets either but that's nothing new on the Letizia front!

I agree, she could have worn a more substantial pair of earrings.

Like Mbruno I am always hoping to see the shell tiara. But I understand it may be property of Q. Sofia. The floral tiara itself is nice and appropriate for a visit from a republic. It must be comfortable to wear too. The placement as headband with the hair down and in combination with a red dress reminds me of CPss Mary appearance at her pre-wedding concert in 2004. Of course nearly 20 years later it does indeed look a bit girly. The brooch is a wonderful surprise.
I too are hoping for the Shell tiara to reappear. Pity. But the floral tiara also belongs to Queen Sofia so i don't think that is the reason the Shell tiara remains unworn. I also think that the floral tiara was appropriate for this State Visit as in the spanish collection they have either the big tiaras (fleur-de-Lys and the 2 pearl tiaras) or the smaller ones. Unfortunately nothing medi-sized.

Back
Top Bottom