The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 - July 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Netflix has released a report today, showing viewing hours for each show on its service during the first six months of 2023. It intends to publish a similar report every six months going forward.

You can find the article about the report here.

Harry and Meghan's six part series, which debuted on Netflix on 8th December 2022, and was made available globally, is in 210th place on the report, with a total of 62 million hours of viewing time.

For comparison, the most viewed show was Season 1 of The Night Agent, with a total of 812 million hours of viewing time.

The report also includes figures for various seasons of Suits and The Crown. It makes for quite interesting reading.

A great report and the visuals were great. It's a reminder that I think it'd be good if they had an IG or something like these to show what they're doing. With the video and photos, we get to see Archewell in action and they release so much. Seeing this, it's clear they had them but I understand why they don't want to be on the planforms.

- It was good to see videos and see the letter from James Holt. He left the UK with the Sussex's has been working at Archewell, it's good to see him around and supporting.

- The Welcome Project already has 11 locations across the country and that's amazing to see. Also to see that it was inspired by The Hubb. We had a few mentions and etc throughout their work but it's good to see the project laid out, I hope we can get more and can't wait to see it grow.

- Harvest Home was great and I was glad to see more from that event. The baby boutique was good and they got a bunch of donations after the visit.

And out of the entire report, the one thing that was totally unknown was the Inkwnkwezi Early Childhood Development Centre. I'm glad they were able to help replaced the items that had been stolen.

Netflix has released a report today, showing viewing hours for each show on its service during the first six months of 2023. It intends to publish a similar report every six months going forward.

You can find the article about the report here.

Harry and Meghan's six part series, which debuted on Netflix on 8th December 2022, and was made available globally, is in 210th place on the report, with a total of 62 million hours of viewing time.

For comparison, the most viewed show was Season 1 of The Night Agent, with a total of 812 million hours of viewing time.

The report also includes figures for various seasons of Suits and The Crown. It makes for quite interesting reading.

Why are drama/comedy/crime series (which inevitably draw many more viewers than documentaries do) being compared to series documentaries like Harry and Meghan’s (which I believe to be in an entirely different category?) 62 million is Imo a very respectable total for a six part documentary. Netflix was pleased and promoted it as its highest rating doco at the time. And Suits in its reboot is attracting many new viewers.

Last edited:
I included the numbers for The Night Agent only to show what the 'top' of the measuring scale was. I did not imply any link between the viewing hours and the show's quality, popularity or any other non-factual measure. That is for readers to interpret and decide for themselves.

I included the numbers for The Night Agent only to show what the 'top' of the measuring scale was. I did not imply any link between the viewing hours and the show's quality, popularity or any other non-factual measure. That is for readers to interpret and decide for themselves.

Yes, and to be fair, those are the metrics by which Netflix decided to report on their shows.

I doubt Harry would end up on this list. Whether he actually wins any of his cases, they are at least colorable legal disputes capable of resolution, so they're not "without any merit." Here in U.S. federal courts, we have similar lists and they're meant to block people who use the courts in an abusive manner by repeatedly filing suits that are frivolous or meant for no purpose other than to harass the defendant...but he's not at that level.

Thanks for your post and answering my question :flowers:

Yeah that makes sense, and PH is not at that level...yet. :whistling:

I roll my eyes at how litigious Harry is,

If litigation was an Olympic Sport, PH would be on the podium wearing a gold medal for sure :D

- It was good to see videos and see the letter from James Holt. He left the UK with the Sussex's has been working at Archewell, it's good to see him around and supporting.

I believe mentioning Holt's 280% pay raise was a huge mistake. The public hates it when charity administrators pull in six figure salaries.
No wonder donations to Archewell have plummeted!

Wonder how long it will remain solvent?

Thanks for posting TLLK.

Only 54 seconds long, no voice over or text (just music) and most of it seems to be a rapid series of clips of H&M themselves. It didn't inform the viewer or explain anything. Not sure what was the point of it TBH.

The video wasn’t the main focus. The main focus is the report, the video was just a quick accompanying clip. The actual information is in the report that was released with it.

I realized, what was shared was an article from the independent, not the actual Archewell link with the information.

https://archewell.com/impact-report-2022-2023/

I believe mentioning Holt's 280% pay raise was a huge mistake. The public hates it when charity administrators pull in six figure salaries.

I don’t believe they mentioned Holts salary in the impact report but it came out in the financial report, which why have to report or are then said to be faking reports. I’m not that bothered by Holt getting what he’s due for his work, nor are countless others.

And I’m pretty sure the only big donators to Archewell, wee Harry and Meghan at the start, Archewell is just other foundations, in which they receive a large sum and work off that. So there is nothing wrong with the finances as it is implied. Well, not to those don’t want to find something wrong.

Their finances are fine if you take a look at various outlets. Archewell isn’t in dire straits and is going well.

But yeah, donations haven’t dropped because of James Holt, at the very least, there isn’t anything to back that up.

I believe, it’s others being overblown by a foundation that’s clearly doing well, despite being only three years old and starting operations during a pandemic

From what I’ve seen, Holt didn’t get a massive pay rise. It’s more that in their 2021 report, he did not work there the full year and therefore it didn’t represent a full year’s salary.

I did look at their tax form with interest. Their expenses are quite high, and they spent just over $600,000 more than they received in revenue from donations last year. They received some 13 million in donations in their first year and only 2 million and change in 2022. They have just over 8 million in assets so the foundation is not on the brink of failure, but it will need to either increase its revenue or cut its costs to remain sustainable. $8 million will not last that long if they overspend their revenues at the rate they did in 2022 in future years.

From what I’ve seen, Holt didn’t get a massive pay rise. It’s more that in their 2021 report, he did not work there the full year and therefore it didn’t represent a full year’s salary.

I did look at their tax form with interest. Their expenses are quite high, and they spent just over $600,000 more than they received in revenue from donations last year. They received some 13 million in donations in their first year and only 2 million and change in 2022. They have just over 8 million in assets so the foundation is not on the brink of failure, but it will need to either increase its revenue or cut its costs to remain sustainable. $8 million will not last that long if they overspend their revenues at the rate they did in 2022 in future years.

I do not know anything about finance or tax etc so I am asking questions that others might seem as obvious, so apologies up front.

Are the expenses the salaries of the staff or is that a separate element all together, or is it for example to cover Harry and Meghans costs when they go to the Invictus Games or when they went to New York, with donations to charitable organisations coming out of the £2m expenditure.

Am I also correct in saying that Archwell donates and supports already established charities/ organisations , small and large. They are not a charity in their own right, if that makes sense.

Do we know if they donated to Invictus.
Thank you

I do not know anything about finance or tax etc so I am asking questions that others might seem as obvious, so apologies up front.

Are the expenses the salaries of the staff or is that a separate element all together, or is it for example to cover Harry and Meghans costs when they go to the Invictus Games or when they went to New York, with donations to charitable organisations coming out of the £2m expenditure.

Am I also correct in saying that Archwell donates and supports already established charities/ organisations , small and large. They are not a charity in their own right, if that makes sense.

Do we know if they donated to Invictus.
Thank you

The expenses for the salary and staff are about $640,000 of expenses of approximately $2,600,000. The other two million in expenses represents about $1,300,000 in grants to other organizations. You are correct that their main charitable activity is currently making grants to existing organizations. Their largest appears to be to Georgetown University. Other expenses include services from Invisible Hand, which I believe does their PR ($180,000 approx), Jiore Craig who seems to work against digital misinformation based on a quick online search (approx $120,000) and Herlihy Loughran ($127,000)

This last company’s website is not particularly clear about what their services entail but it does appear to be in the PR vein as well: https://herlou.com/

Another expense is $34,000 in travel for the year. (Doesn’t seem high to me)

Invictus does not appear to have received any funding or grants from Archewell but that is probably because it is its own organization with its own funding. A full list of the grants they have made is available in their tax forms, located here:
https://archewell.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/the-archewell-foundation-2022-public-disclosure.pdf

The expenses for the salary and staff are about $640,000 of expenses of approximately $2,600,000. The other two million in expenses represents about $1,300,000 in grants to other organizations. You are correct that their main charitable activity is currently making grants to existing organizations. Their largest appears to be to Georgetown University. Other expenses include services from Invisible Hand, which I believe does their PR ($180,000 approx), Jiore Craig who seems to work against digital misinformation based on a quick online search (approx $120,000) and Herlihy Loughran ($127,000)

This last company’s website is not particularly clear about what their services entail but it does appear to be in the PR vein as well: https://herlou.com/

Another expense is $34,000 in travel for the year. (Doesn’t seem high to me)

Invictus does not appear to have received any funding or grants from Archewell but that is probably because it is its own organization with its own funding. A full list of the grants they have made is available in their tax forms, located here:
https://archewell.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/the-archewell-foundation-2022-public-disclosure.pdf

Thank you for the information

Live feed from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-67707931

"The High Court rules Prince Harry was the victim of mobile phone hacking by Mirror Group Newspapers and awards him £140,600 in damages.

Mr Justice Fancourt says that his personal phone was targeted between 2003 and 2009 and 15 of 33 sample articles were “the product of phone hacking … or the product of other unlawful information gathering.”
"

In case anyone can't access the BBC, here's the Guardian's report:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rtial-victory-phone-hacking-case-daily-mirror

"Prince Harry has partially won his phone-hacking case against the Daily Mirror, after a judgment that has major implications for the British media...

...He was seeking £440,000 in damages, potentially one of the biggest ever phone-hacking settlements.
"

Last edited:
Congratulations Harry! David & all others who came together on this case. They said the editors were still doing this into the Leveson Inquiry. Misan posted a few words of support for Harry.

Glad to see it happen.

The full 386-page judgment in the Duke of Sussex's claim (and the claims of three other claimants) against Mirror Group Newspapers for phone hacking and other unlawful information gathering:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Duke-of-Sussex-v-MGN-Judgment.pdf

Mr Justice Fancourt's summary of his judgment:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Duke-of-Sussex-v-MGN-Judgment-Press-Summary.pdf

From the summary (I have bolded the main points relating to the Duke's case):

Duke of Sussex.

10. I have found the Duke’s case of voicemail interception and unlawful information gathering proved in part only. I found that 15 out of the 33 articles that were tried were the product of phone hacking of his mobile phone or the mobile phones of his associates, or the product of other unlawful information gathering. I consider that his phone was only hacked to a modest extent, and that this was probably carefully controlled by certain people at each newspaper. However, it did happen on occasions from about the end of 2003 to April 2009 (which was the date of the last article that I examined). There was a tendency for the Duke in his evidence to assume that everything published was the product of voicemail interception because phone hacking was rife within Mirror Group at the time. But phone hacking was not the only journalistic tool at the time, and his claims in relation to the other 18 articles did not stand up to careful analysis.

11. There were also a number of separate invoices, unconnected to published articles, which I consider to be evidence of unlawful gathering of the Duke’s private information.

12. I have accordingly awarded the Duke damages in respect of each of the articles and invoices where unlawful information gathering was proved. I have also awarded a further sum to compensate the Duke fully for the distress that he suffered as a result of the unlawful activity directed at him and those close to him. I recognise that Mirror Group was not responsible for all the unlawful activity that was directed at the Duke, and that a good deal of the oppressive behaviour of the Press towards the Duke over the years was not unlawful at all. Mirror Group therefore only played a small part in everything that the Duke suffered and the award of damages on this ground is therefore modest.

13. I have also awarded a sum for aggravated damages, to reflect the particular hurt and sense of outrage that the Duke feels because two directors of Trinity Mirror plc, to whom the board had delegated day-to-day responsibility for such matters, knew about the illegal activity that was going at their newspapers and could and should have put a stop to it. Instead of doing so, they turned a blind eye to what was going on, and positively concealed it. Had the illegal conduct been stopped, the misuse of the Duke’s private information would have ended much sooner.

14. The total sum that I have awarded the Duke in damages is £140,600.

Last edited:
The phone hacking is something I have always felt sympathetic to Harry on, so I hope this helps him move on from a tough time.

The full 386-page judgment in the Duke of Sussex's claim (and the claims of three other claimants) against Mirror Group Newspapers for phone hacking and other unlawful information gathering:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Duke-of-Sussex-v-MGN-Judgment.pdf

Mr Justice Fancourt's summary of his judgment:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Duke-of-Sussex-v-MGN-Judgment-Press-Summary.pdf

From the summary (I have bolded the main points relating to the Duke's case):

Duke of Sussex.

10. I have found the Duke’s case of voicemail interception and unlawful information gathering proved in part only. I found that 15 out of the 33 articles that were tried were the product of phone hacking of his mobile phone or the mobile phones of his associates, or the product of other unlawful information gathering. I consider that his phone was only hacked to a modest extent, and that this was probably carefully controlled by certain people at each newspaper. However, it did happen on occasions from about the end of 2003 to April 2009 (which was the date of the last article that I examined). There was a tendency for the Duke in his evidence to assume that everything published was the product of voicemail interception because phone hacking was rife within Mirror Group at the time. But phone hacking was not the only journalistic tool at the time, and his claims in relation to the other 18 articles did not stand up to careful analysis.

11. There were also a number of separate invoices, unconnected to published articles, which I consider to be evidence of unlawful gathering of the Duke’s private information.

12. I have accordingly awarded the Duke damages in respect of each of the articles and invoices where unlawful information gathering was proved. I have also awarded a further sum to compensate the Duke fully for the distress that he suffered as a result of the unlawful activity directed at him and those close to him. I recognise that Mirror Group was not responsible for all the unlawful activity that was directed at the Duke, and that a good deal of the oppressive behaviour of the Press towards the Duke over the years was not unlawful at all. Mirror Group therefore only played a small part in everything that the Duke suffered and the award of damages on this ground is therefore modest.

13. I have also awarded a sum for aggravated damages, to reflect the particular hurt and sense of outrage that the Duke feels because two directors of Trinity Mirror plc, to whom the board had delegated day-to-day responsibility for such matters, knew about the illegal activity that was going at their newspapers and could and should have put a stop to it. Instead of doing so, they turned a blind eye to what was going on, and positively concealed it. Had the illegal conduct been stopped, the misuse of the Duke’s private information would have ended much sooner.

14. The total sum that I have awarded the Duke in damages is £140,600.

Thanks for this post Tatiana, very helpful and informative :flowers:

The phone hacking is something I have always felt sympathetic to Harry on, so I hope this helps him move on from a tough time.

As expected, it was a mixed ruling, so both the Duke and the Mirror can claim some vindication.

Going forward, Harry has to be mindful of his court cases. Suing newspapers in cases that have merit such as phone hacking or obvious defamation is different from suing them for honest opinions in matters of public interest, which are viable defenses against libel accusations in British law.

Even though freedom of the press is not quite as protected in the UK as in the US, British judges are mindful of its importance and it is unlikely that they will rule in Harry's favor in matters that involve reasonable opinion or interpretation of the facts, even when that opinion might turn out to be defamatory in the common law.

In other words, what I am trying to say (and is unrelated to the hacking case in discussion) is that Harry cannot sue newspapers whenever they publish something about him with which he disagrees. That is not reasonable and, if a pattern like that emerges, he risks being shut down by the courts.

Last edited:
Once more quoting from the judgment:

Some background information on the time period:

605. The Duke confirmed that he did not in fact have a mobile phone until he went to Eton College, [...]. He said that the newspapers were always available in Royal palaces and so were difficult to avoid completely – he would often see his name or photograph on a front page – but, understandably, he did not usually read them. He was however aware of and recalls some of the stories covered by them. [...]

611. [...] All three newspapers (and other tabloids) were obsessed with stories about the Royal family and about Prince Harry in particular, which doubtless reflected the apparent public appetite for information about his successes and failures, his career, and in particular his love life. I heard much evidence of intense competition between News Group newspapers and MGN newspapers [...] Prince Harry in particular, because of the tragic life of his mother and the impact on him of her death, was of primary interest to the tabloid press, all the more so, seemingly, as it became apparent that there were further problems in his life.

The judge was critical of the lawyers of the Duke of Sussex for not instructing the Duke on the rules of giving evidence and also for wasting the judge's and defendants' time:

602. The Duke gave evidence at some length, both in his written witness statement and when cross-examined. His witness statement was, in large part, an argument against the vicissitudes of the Press, and MGN in particular, and an explanation of the misery that (it is common ground) he has suffered from Press intrusion, rather than factual evidence that he could give about the specific matters in issue. It did not remotely comply with all the requirements of CPR Practice Direction 57AC, in limiting its scope to matters in issue about which the Duke was personally able to give evidence in chief, excluding comment and argument - for which his solicitors rather than he are culpable.

[...]

859. I record here frustration that, as a result of the claimants significantly overloading their case for what was only going to be a 7-week trial, the court has been left with a very substantial volume of material raising issues for decision on which very little help was given at the trial and no argument addressed, simply because the parties did not have time to do so. In effect, a swathe of material has been dumped on the court with a request for a paper determination on top of all the issues that were properly ventilated and explored at trial.

860. I also record annoyance that [...] the parties’ cases on the same issues have been presented in writing only in two totally different formats, which do not cross-refer to each other, and without MGN having an opportunity to respond to the claimants’ Episodes document in the way that they might have wished to. The consequence is that I have had to spend extra time trying to do the cross-referencing. The blame on this occasion lies squarely with the claimants: had their intention to re-present the invoices claim as Episodes been raised, it is likely that I would have approved it (as it helps to make some sense of what individual payment records represent, in context) and given MGN time to respond to that document, instead of expending its efforts on responding to the previous schedules.

I’m glad to read this. Nobody deserved to be phone-hacked and it’s good to see the Mirror Group owning up to what was done and apologising. This news will be a bit of happiness and satisfaction for Harry after a rough few months in the media.

Last edited:
I’m glad to here this. Nobody deserved to be phone-hacked and it’s good to see the Mirror Group owning up to what was done and apologising. This news will be a bit of happiness and satisfaction for Harry after a rough few months in the media.

It is important to note that Harry, I think, originally alleged that 140 articles published between 1996 and 2010 contained information gathered using unlawful methods. Out of those 140 articles, 33 were selected for consideration at the trial and the judge awarded damages for 15.

It is also curious that the judge felt it necessary to make a point that "a good deal of the oppressive behaviour of the Press towards the Duke over the years was not unlawful at all" although that was not particularly relevant to these specific hacking allegations in my opinion. That is an important and not so subtle message to highlight that the Press being nasty (or even "oppressive" as the judge put it) to public figures does not necessarily imply that they are acting unlawfully.

Last edited:
Whether it is two incidents of phone hacking, twenty two or two hundred and two, the newspapers concerned were engaged in illegal activity and should be heartily condemned. I repeat, nobody deserved what was done, whoever they are. And tabloid journalists and editors who allowed such things and thought they were a joke are beneath contempt. And so is sneering nastiness towards public figures by tabloid journalists, whether strictly illegal or not.

Last edited:
From the judge's ruling on damages:

1603. Further, in terms of the impact of Press scrutiny, which has been felt most acutely by the Duke for most of his life, it is extraordinarily difficult to separate out the impact on him generally of all other lawful (but nonetheless oppressive) activity conducted by the Press, and also take out unlawful activity conducted by other newspapers and journalists, in order to identify what distress overall was caused by unlawful activity by MGN.

He believes that Prince Harry's associates were targeted for illegal information gathering by MGN more often than the Prince himself, as it was riskier to phone-hack a royal than a non-royal.

867. So far as the Duke personally was concerned, his phone was probably targeted on occasions when there was an important storyline that MGN journalists were chasing, such as the ups and downs of the Duke’s relationship with Ms Davy. It was done carefully and with control (more so after 2006), given the evident risks, but it nevertheless took place on occasions.

868. Less care was taken with Ms Davy’s phone. She and her family and friends were clearly not considered off limits and I am satisfied that she was subjected to UIG [Unlawful Information Gathering] and VMI [Voice Mail Interception] regularly, as a means of obtaining information about their relationship and the Duke’s life.

869. The same applies to the Duke’s other girlfriends and his close friends, in particular Guy Pelly, Natalie Pinkham and Tiggy Legge-Bourke, who were regularly targeted with a view to obtaining information about the Duke. I am satisfied that they would have been subjected to VMI and other UIG.

Last edited:
Tatiana Maria and shady lady-Thank you for sharing all of this information today.

Congratulations to Harry on his partial victory. The phone hacking should have never happened to anyone.

As expected, it was a mixed ruling, so both the Duke and the Mirror can claim some vindication.

Going forward, Harry has to be mindful of his court cases. Suing newspapers in cases that have merit such as phone hacking or obvious defamation is different from suing them for honest opinions in matters of public interest, which are viable defenses against libel accusations in British law.

Even though freedom of the press is not quite as protected in the UK as in the US, British judges are mindful of its importance and it is unlikely that they will rule in Harry's favor in matters that involve reasonable opinion or interpretation of the facts, even when that opinion might turn out to be defamatory in the common law.

In other words, what I am trying to say (and is unrelated to the hacking case in discussion) is that Harry cannot sue newspapers whenever they publish something about him with which he disagrees. That is not reasonable and, if a pattern like that emerges, he risks being shut down by the courts.

Good points Mbruno and I hope that going forward that Harry would consider your advice.

I suppose The Sussex's needed some good news this week. Basically a third of what Harry was hoping for in this Case, money wise though.
On the heels of an 11 million drop in "donations" to Archewell this year.

…..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom