The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 - July 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the team that maintains the website needs a bit of a shake-up. The website needs to be proactively managed, and kept up to date.

ok, txs everybody.
I was very busy and didn't check it in the morning.
Plus the German tabloids are not always that quick and I was travelling since May and mostly absent from this forums.

Has there yet been a reaction from Harry as some mention it might be a big thing for him only?
Well, we will sure soon read from it;) Have a nice day everybody.

Has there yet been a reaction from Harry as some mention it might be a big thing for him only?

No, to the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been any public comment from the Duke or Duchess of Sussex or their official spokespersons about the agreement they made in January 2020 not to use their HRH titles, or the consequences of that agreement. (Although for whatever reason, both have used HRH during their court cases even after the agreement.)

Here is the January 2020 agreement:

"The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family."

https://www.royal.uk/statement-her-majesty-queen-0

Last edited:
I think the team that maintains the website needs a bit of a shake-up. The website needs to be proactively managed, and kept up to date.

Agreed. It often seems like an afterthought and isn't being consistently managed or checked for errors or inconsistencies at all.

When I said it might be a big deal to him I didn't mean he would make a statement but just that he and Meghan are both very title and status conscious that it might sting. Even though nothing has changed and BP hasn't used there HRHs to refer to them at all since Jan 2020 anyway.

They might also be annoyed that it became international entertainment headlines but I doubt they'll issue a statement. They'll lose any titles slanging match and they'd rather people forget this I think.

And he's currently trying to get good publicity for himself and his cause in Japan.

So I’ve just finished the “meet me by the lake”.
My impressions: it’s as mediocre as all the chicklit can be. I felt like howling by the time I finished it.
All that’s made about trauma, pp depression, alcohol and drug abuse it’s wildly exagerated. The story unfolds starting a month after the main character lost her mother, it’s garden variety mourning (sorry to be so blunt).
The pp depression - I don’t know what they are talking about. The only part about depression is when they talk about his mother. Very briefly.
Alcohol and drugs - if smoking two joints in the whole book is drug abuse… And alcohol is way less than what I would call a problem. The main character DID have a slightly turbulent adolescence and all the troubles were exacerbated by the fact that they lived in a small community, and at a certain moment that resulted in a fire at home, but no real consequences.

All in all, the only thing in common with what I know about the Sussexes is the navel gazing.

https://archive.is/YniLV

Last edited:
So I’ve just finished the “meet me by the lake”.
My impressions: it’s as mediocre as all the chicklit can be. I felt like howling by the time I finished it...

Thank you very much for summing up! So, it is a no-real-harm drama in the higher middle class? Yeah, but somehow Netflix has to fill its libraries...

BTW Higher middle class, this is the right strata. But as this very successful "Barbie" movie shows, the harmless story should perhaps go more into the comedy direction.

Thank you very much for summing up! So, it is a no-real-harm drama in the higher middle class? Yeah, but somehow Netflix has to fill its libraries...

BTW Higher middle class, this is the right strata. But as this very successful "Barbie" movie shows, the harmless story should perhaps go more into the comedy direction.

One evening when she was 17 she had people over for a party. Somehow they’ve managed to set fire to the sunroom of the house. At the time of the fire she was passed out drunk in the bathroom. She was the only one hurt - a concusion she earned when she passed out.

...a party. Somehow they’ve managed to set fire to the sunroom of the house. At the time of the fire she was passed out drunk in the bathroom. She was the only one hurt - a concusion she earned when she passed out.

Oh my - The horror!

This reminds me somehow of The Shaman, the love interest of Princess Märtha Louise of Norway: As a juvenile he gave a house party, but it was not his house - Burglary. The house went up in flames - Arson. He ended up in jail and there he became suicidal and was shackled in a straight jacket!

But this kind of story, nevertheless true, is probably too red-blooded to be produced by the Duke and the Duchess of Sussex...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/prince-harry-stuns-fans-rare-30661445

Good to see Harry looking so cheerful and chipper in Japan.
Steve James, the Invictus Games gold medalist was also at the conference. James at the IG thanked Prince Harry for ‘saving his life’. His response to Harry and the IG was similar to dozens of letters from vets (some of them archived here on this Forum I believe), in praise of Harry and Invictus. I’m also looking forward very much to reading news of Harry at the charity polo match in Singapore.

Last edited:
Good to see him having fun. What is he doing in Japan?

Yeah what is he doing? I know in Singapore he is doing some polo thing for Sentable or something.

A new video message one month before IG. His message is a mess.

Agreed. It often seems like an afterthought and isn't being consistently managed or checked for errors or inconsistencies at all.

Even within the same page(!) the updates are often inconsistent. In this case, I would have thought a few stray HRHs referring to pre-2020 events were much less misleading than the following sentences in the biographies, which have still not been updated to reflect the couple's full-time residence in North America and renunciation of all official duties:

"They are balancing their time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour their duty to The King, the Commonwealth, and their patronages."

"Their official residence is Frogmore Cottage"

"The Duke attaches great importance to his role in the Royal Family's public service to the UK and around the Commonwealth."

But the most baffling example must be when the royal website finally corrected an error, but then purposely reverted the page to listing incorrect information, as Frivo pointed out here: Counsellors of State

Last edited:
Even within the same page(!) the updates are often inconsistent. In this case, I would have thought a few stray HRHs referring to pre-2020 events were much less misleading than the following sentences in the biographies, which have still not been updated to reflect the couple's full-time residence in North America and renunciation of all official duties:

"They are balancing their time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour their duty to The King, the Commonwealth, and their patronages."

"Their official residence is Frogmore Cottage"

"The Duke attaches great importance to his role in the Royal Family's public service to the UK and around the Commonwealth."

But the most baffling example must be when the royal website finally corrected an error, but then purposely reverted the page to listing incorrect information, as Frivo pointed out here: Counsellors of State

Yes, and the problem becomes bigger than it should be because so many people - and not just Millennials and Gen Z - attach so much importance to a website *as* the company almost. Which is why we get so many posts and articles discussing what I'm sure many in the Royal Household thinks are minor considerations like "why isn't the latest baby in the Line of Succession??" Answer: They are the list isn't the actual line, they were in it since they were born, the website just reflects info on the Monarch's immediate family/heirs.

"OMG, Harry is no longer HRH on the website" Answer: no he's still legally HRH and still can't use it that hasn't changed since 2020 and almost certainly never will, they're just really bad at website maintenance.

Of course the press create drama out of updates, especially since it is silly season after all but they don't help themselves. For both BP and KP some of their other SM has improved but could also do with a change up (more info on events often) but the website is pretty awful. I've had an easier time navigating and searching the Romanian Court's website and using a translation tool and they aren't even reigning! - I mean it's much simpler because they don't have so much info but even so.

Absolutely, it's a very poor look indeed.

No one cares about websites anymore. It isn’t like that’s where the comms teams efforts go. They should just peel it back to bare minimum.

Strange remark. Of course people care. A lot of people around the world are interested in the royal family, royal residences, art and history. Their website represents them as it does any other institution so of course it should be carefully maintained and updated, always.

Strange remark. Of course people care. A lot of people around the world are interested in the royal family, royal residences, art and history. Their website represents them as it does any other institution so of course it should be carefully maintained and updated, always.

It’s not. It’s all socials now. I wonder if you asked people if they would even ever looked at it. People want to know anything they will ask google or wiki. Didn’t even know they had one until Philip died and they had a book of condolence on there. The era or websites is over. You need your socials, videos etc now.

I just looked at it. It is totally useless. Any information on their art or residences have their own websites - which it links too. So it’s a bit of information on the working members…and Harry, Meghan and Andrew and the updates news section…which is really what the social, Edina accounts work. So it is fairly unremarkable. So yeah I don’t think it’s on a anyones list to keep undated.

Last edited:
It’s not. It’s all socials now. I wonder if you asked people if they would even ever looked at it. People want to know anything they will ask google or wiki. Didn’t even know they had one until Philip died and they had a book of condolence on there. The era or websites is over. You need your socials, videos etc now.

I don't think anyone has disputed that it is important for royal communications staff to maximize their use of social media and exercise whatever limited influence they may have over Google search results and Wikipedia. But the idea that no one pays attention to the royal website would seem to be at odds with its updates regularly making global news.

I just looked at it. It is totally useless. Any information on their art or residences have their own websites - which it links too. So it’s a bit of information on the working members…and Harry, Meghan and Andrew and the updates news section…which is really what the social, Edina accounts work. So it is fairly unremarkable. So yeah I don’t think it’s on a anyones list to keep undated.

Naturally, the more clearly useless a website (or social media account, or Wikipedia entry) is, the fewer people will use it as a resource, which is a good reason to make it useful.

I don't think anyone has disputed that it is important for royal communications staff to maximize their use of social media and exercise whatever limited influence they may have over Google search results and Wikipedia. But the idea that no one pays attention to the royal website would seem to be at odds with its updates regularly making global news.

Naturally, the more clearly useless a website (or social media account, or Wikipedia entry) is, the fewer people will use it as a resource, which is a good reason to make it useful.

That’s not the way things work. Websites are not a thing anymore really. No matter how good it is won’t change that. The only website that struck interest in recent years is Harry and Meghan’s one when they left. But I have seen visits and stuff they put on the new one which has utterly failed to be picked up. Which says more about the fact the media only care when they are being controversial but also says something about the uselessness of websites.

Just looked at eh Sussexes now too and the Queen is still alive on it and they link to their dead social media. So yeah… why don’t they just take that down?

Last edited:
What is the way things work?

People google
People check Wikipedia
People look up socials.

All those royal palaces etc have their own websites through whoever monitors the visiting. You would look there.

All the news is on socials. People look there.

Information on the royals is useful of you sre doing a school projects.

Quick and instant now is how all online communications need to work.

Its silly season at the moment because they are all in holidays amd they need to wrote something
Even the royal journalists are a bet like yeahbsure they got the work experience People tonstsrt updating .

I mean this isn't the worst. Websites are turning into an anarchism. Outdated everything.

People google
People check Wikipedia
People look up socials.

All those royal palaces etc have their own websites through whoever monitors the visiting. You would look there.

All the news is on socials. People look there.

Information on the royals is useful of you sre doing a school projects.

Quick and instant now is how all online communications need to work.

Its silly season at the moment because they are all in holidays amd they need to wrote something
Even the royal journalists are a bet like yeahbsure they got the work experience People tonstsrt updating .

I mean this isn't the worst. Websites are turning into an anarchism. Outdated everything.

And you are wrong. I'm saying that in a courteous way, by the way.
Websites are the official source of information, like a government press release, and absolutely not obsolete or antiquated any more than a cellphone is to a zoom call.

The socials, I assume we mean Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and the rest of them, are private companies with their own agendas where you are a guest visitor, and anyone can post rants and get away with it.

The royal websites(s) are government owned and the first and final source of the institution(s). In this case the issue is the website management team is terrible at maintaining it. This week we got it exposed as outdated, with information that took three years to correct because there are about 50k pages on it is not an excuse.

That said, it is still the official source of information and needs the team behind its management to get into shape or find a new team to administer the primary pages to keep up with the news and events in real time.

And you are wrong. I'm saying that in a courteous way, by the way.
Websites are the official source of information, like a government press release, and absolutely not obsolete or antiquated any more than a cellphone is to a zoom call.

The socials, I assume we mean Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and the rest of them, are private companies with their own agendas where you are a guest visitor, and anyone can post rants and get away with it.

The royal websites(s) are government owned and the first and final source of the institution(s). In this case the issue is the website management team is terrible at maintaining it. This week we got it exposed as outdated, with information that took three years to correct because there are about 50k pages on it is not an excuse.

That said, it is still the official source of information and needs the team behind its management to get into shape or find a new team to administer the primary pages to keep up with the news and events in real time.

I would disagree with the three years to correct if you are referring to the HRH titles, as far as we are lead to believe they have not been removed from the couple but the late Queen asked not to use them as they were no longer working royals. Lets be honest the 'working royals' notion only came about because of Harry and Andrew'

The late Queen always kept the door open for them, it is my opinion that the door is now closed and that is why the titles are now removed from the website. It has nothing to do with sloppiness etc, but the King has had time to reflect an with no movement from either side apparently a decision has been made. I am not saying they have been removed totally from them because I do not think it can be taken that simply from Harry but Meghans title may be a different matter. I will let the experts comment on that as I am not sure.
The door remained open for nearly a year after the Queens death, we have no idea what if anything has gone on in the background but it does appear obvious to the onlookers that Harry and Meghan have firmly decided that their lives are in the USA and do not wish any connection with the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom