The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 - July 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Danish Royal Family are a very athletic family, so it doesn't surprise me that HRH The Crown Prince of Denmark has attended multiple Invictus Games.

I love the picture of HRH The Duke of Sussex wrapping his arms around HRH The Duchess of Sussex. Too cute!

Good to hear there are other royals supporting the games and some leading representatives from other countries, albeit not always heads of state. Whatever your view on Harry, I think this is a cause that he can rightly be proud of backing from its relatively humble beginnings.

Good to hear there are other royals supporting the games and some leading representatives from other countries, albeit not always heads of state. Whatever your view on Harry, I think this is a cause that he can rightly be proud of backing from its relatively humble beginnings.

I don’t know if the beginning can be classified as humble. He had the backing of The Queen. And a whole palace machine to put it in place.

Yes, it is his project, and everyone supported him. That’s why his father and brother were there, to support him. Not that it mattered to him.

Her public remarks at the Invictus gathering earlier included a mention of picking up milkshakes. It all seems choreographed -- the pics at the drive-thru, the milkshake mention, soft nostalgic tropes. The only thing missing was Fonzie kicking the jukebox.

I think she’s trying too hard to be seen as relatable. Which is one of the reasons it fails for me. It’s like being hit with a sledgehammer.

She is consistent though. There are many examples of her trying very very hard to seem relatable and down to earth- and for me- failing miserably because it’s just overkill.

These latest things- the drive thru pics, the milk shakes etc are just more of the same.

Very well said Ghost.

Invictus was modeled on America's "Warrior Games" after Harry visited The Wounded Warrior Games in May 2013 , as a Harry readily admits.

I must say though, Harry seems so engaged and in his "element" . The Crowds enthralled, and seemingly adoring his participation.

Must be VERY bittersweet for him. This IS the role he played to perfection. The best in The Family I dare say. And coming from Me no less.

Not, his involvement as "Chief Impact Officer" in BetterUp. Whatever that actually even was. Or whatever his Archewell involvement is.

Or the Harry, in the Harry and Meghan Netflix Documentary. He seemed like a fish out of water.

Maybe Harry can and should recalibrate, learn from the positives He witnessed here at Invictus (and his Sentabale Charity ).
All these wounded Service Members and their Families MOVING FORWARD. In spite of unbelievable pain, physical disabilities and mental challenges. Many, HECK most, don't come from backgrounds with money either.

"Turning Tragedy into Triumph" is another Veterans Program here in the States that advocates positive messages by MOVING FORWARD.. Its called 'Tunnels to Towers".
It provides Housing to horribly disfigured Veterans.

Harry can leave Hollywood 'dealings' and projects to Meghan.

They come from different Worlds and different "strengths".

That's my hope. Because the tirades against his Family have reached their expiration date. They aren't resonating anymore. Only turning People off.

This IS the work he does brilliantly. If he can focus on that, he can move forward successfully into a new Chapter for himself. Healthy, productive and meaningful......Might go a long way towards some forgiveness and *perhaps* some reconciliation down the line.

It will take time. Years. But the Ball is firmly in Harry's Court.

" If " he is sincere too. That IS KEY.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree Granada, it would be so much better for Harry if he could turn his focus and concentrate on that sort of work rather than what he has been doing the past few years. It takes most people time to find their raison d'être (and some never find it), but he seems so obviously suited to that sort of thing. I hope he eventually sees that for himself.

Very well said Ghost.

Invictus was modeled on America's "Warrior Games" after Harry visited The Wounded Warrior Games in May 2013 , as a Harry readily admits.

I must admit though, Harry seems so engaged and in his "element" . The Crowds enthralled, and seemingly adoring his participation.

Must be VERY bittersweet for him. This IS the role he played to perfection. The best in The Family I dare say.

My neighborhood hosts an annual Wounded Warrior event. Parades, barbeques, aquatic athletic events, it's always successful. There's never a big politician or celebrity or public figure who plays a prominent role, or who is even photographed. It's about the wounded warriors and their families.

[.....]
Meghan, sporting $800 Hermes trainers and sending out briefings about how she did her own hair is the antethesis of what these events are about.

Last edited by a moderator:
[.....] They were affectionate which seems to have become the norm for those couples of the house of Winsor.

Harry has had a wonderful Invictus Games experience and whether you like it or not, when he stepped on to the stage for the opening, he got a standing ovation from the competitors and families. He was firmly in his IG groove with wit and humour and for those who railed about his mentioning that anniversary of his grandmother's death, the audience heard and knew he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. His audience had the final say.

While Meghan's speech was a little off target at least she made the attempt, and the audience appreciated it. Harry and Meghan had a wonderful time mixing up close and personal with competitors and their families. There were selfies galore, and everyone seemed more than a little buzzed. They appreciate that he shows up and that he does care, meeting and mixing with many familiar competitors and meeting old friends.

All in all, it has been a wonderful IG and let's remember what it's all about. Harry looked like I haven't seen him since the last IG and it was a welcome return. In the absence of facts, the tabloids and some "Royal Reporters" have made up stories especially over the summer holidays. If they were telling the truth, we would have proof positive that both the Sussexes and the Cambridges were in the process of divorce. ?
As for Meghan's wardrobe, let's keep that in the fashion thread,

Invictus Games is always a delight of an event to follow. Harry doing what he does best.

[.....]

Meghan, sporting $800 Hermes trainers and sending out briefings about how she did her own hair is the antethesis of what these events are about.

I think that their PDA is unprofessional. It is part of their “brand” and I don’t know if their brand is one of achievers or something else.
Personally I don’t appreciate it, as I don’t appreciate statements like they had a wonderful time presented as facts.
I would have preffered for them to highlight stories of conpetitors and efface themselves as much as possible, not to play celebrity. And I would have preffered to keep the games just a sports competition, not have all the extras, or at least not highlight children and all, for me it dilutes the message of the competition. But that’s my taste.

One easy point, I don’t think he needs to reconcile with anyone. Maybe it be nice? But he doesn’t need too. Because while Harry and Meghan might not have done everything right (really, done everything in a way that makes others happy) I don’t believe they’re fully wrong or the only ones in the wrong. If the RF believe that they did nothing wrong, did everything right then we can all give up on reconciliation because that’s not going happen.

That being said, I wish people wouldn’t speak or assume for the vets.

By all accounts, the veterans at the games value Harry & Meghan and that’s what’s matters. Everyone says Invictus is about the vets but then seem to impose what is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ to happen at the games. Yes, Invictus is an event but it seems as people forget it’s an event for Family & Friends as well, it’s why vets are allowed to bring two people for free to the games. It’s why 3 proposals happened at last years games and one at this years games so far. Also, family and friends are just as important at these events because THEY are also heavily impacted by a family member suffering. And there was nothing wrong with Meghans two minute speech which went over with the people she was actually addressing, her a parent talking to other parents about being parents. Her thanking the vets for welcoming her in.

It’s not just about competing, it’s about the love from those around you. If it was simply about competition you wouldn’t have so many competitors not focusing on the finish line but examples like a lady of from Team UK, going down the track next to a lady from Team Jordan because she heard the woman saying before that she was scared and nervous and kept pace with her throughout the entire race. Yes, people cheered when whoever won, won. They cheered even louder when the lady from Jordan finally made to the finish line, simply for doing.

Yes, they want to win, who doesn’t in a competition but it’s more about the love and being there for the person next to you. And Harry, and then Meghan have always turned up for the veterans and THATS what they care about.

And healing isn’t linear for people who just want Harry to up and get over whatever. It just about moving forward, it’s about taking that next step and knowing if you fail, you have a community around you to help you try again.

If it was simply about moving forward, there wouldn’t have been Darrell featured in the Heart of Invictus that confessed to this team during last years games that he had relapsed during the games and started drinking again.

Or Gabe, who got his injury not in the line of duty but during a car crash, for him, it was battle PTSD he was working through but what happened to him in his childhood. Much like Harry.

Or Team Denmark last year that had only team members suffering from PTSD, no matter how or when they got it.

People have already touched on the contact between the two but there was nothing unprofessional about hugging, or laughing with your spouse at a sporting event that…spouses. Harry wasn’t out here giving his Meghan pats on the bum to be cheeky.

And for coverage, please point me to where they’ve given interviews this week talking about them. I don’t understand how they’re not highlighting the games or competitors stories. An entire Documentary was made, Harry went on the one of Germany biggest sports shows to promote the games. If you follow any IG social media, it’s all about the games. People Mag, had at least two Exclusives about competitors, highlighting them, Hello! (I believe) Had one from the family & friends members of Team Nigeria. Fox News, has a segment about the games, The BBC has information about the games, as well as an interview with Harry to be aired. Good Morning America has at least two segments, one being an interview with Gabe about the games. And unlike their UK counterparts, they actually talk about the games and the competitors and highlight them instead of talking about Harry or the royals or whatever.

There is a ton of coverage. Team Nigeria showing up and sweeping golds for their first game. The Invictus Foundation event in which we learned a competitor found out about the games from her daughter when she was unable to simply make a choice about what’s socks she wanted to wear. The lady from South Korea being the first woman on her time to win a gold for her country. Taira story which has gotten tons of coverage and she credits Prince Harry and the games for saving her life. In a literal sense.

If someone chooses to ignore the coverage of the games and the veterans when it’s out there in favor of bashing H&M. That isn’t a failing on their part but a failing on the part of that individual. Harry & Meghan don’t force anyone to pay attention to them, interviews, books, documentaries, appearances are all optional viewing.

I won’t get too much into it because it’s not that a big a deal but Im Archewell is just as important work and has helped tons of people from Vax Live, WCK, Homeboy Industries and etc. People impacted by their work, value it and they wouldn’t have gotten the help they got without Archewell.

Overall, if you hate or dislike or don’t think much of them and still choose to engage with content and information about them, I don’t get it but fine. But let’s not use the Invictus Games and Veterans as a way to put them down or attempt by one speaking over the veterans, their wishes and their thoughts and two, acting as if one cares about them but doesn’t actually know anything about them. It says that you only care to use them as a tool to beat on Harry and Meghan while claiming they don’t care about veterans.

All in all, it has been a wonderful IG and let's remember what it's all about.

Yep. The competitors. I hope it has been a good experience for them and will change their lives in a positive way :flowers:

They are the real stars of the show.

I think that their PDA is unprofessional. It is part of their “brand” and I don’t know if their brand is one of achievers or something else.
Personally I don’t appreciate it, as I don’t appreciate statements like they had a wonderful time presented as facts.
I would have preffered for them to highlight stories of conpetitors and efface themselves as much as possible, not to play celebrity. And I would have preffered to keep the games just a sports competition, not have all the extras, or at least not highlight children and all, for me it dilutes the message of the competition. But that’s my taste.

Well said!

I didn't mention Meghan's participation in Invictus in my previous post because I find her a distraction. And like others, I do find their over the top PDA's annoying when they are at working events. That's all. Nothing wrong with showing affection, but it can take away from the Events and divert attention.

But I GET why She is there, to further Brand Sussex and generate much needed positive press. Good vibes and good times in support of a very worthy cause.
Which after ALL the controversial, negative, and questioning blow black they received this year, is Im sure, part their strategy to regroup and remarket themselves.

As I posted earlier, I hope Harry sticks to these charitable endeavors that he excels at. And Meghan focuses on The Hollywood projects.

I didn't mention Meghan's participation in Invictus in my previous post because I find her a distraction. And like others, I do find their over the top PDA's annoying when they are at working events. That's all. Nothing wrong with showing affection, but it can take away from the Events and divert attention.

But I GET why She is there, to further Brand Sussex and generate much needed positive press. Good vibes and good times in support of a very worthy cause.
Which after ALL the controversial, negative, and questioning blow black they received this year, is Im sure, part their strategy to regroup and remarket themselves.

As I posted earlier, I hope Harry sticks to these charitable endeavors that he excels at. And Meghan focuses on The Hollywood projects.

I agree with this and your earlier reply Granada.

One easy point, I don’t think he needs to reconcile with anyone. Maybe it be nice? But he doesn’t need too. Because while Harry and Meghan might not have done everything right (really, done everything in a way that makes others happy) I don’t believe they’re fully wrong or the only ones in the wrong. If the RF believe that they did nothing wrong, did everything right then we can all give up on reconciliation because that’s not going happen.

That being said, I wish people wouldn’t speak or assume for the vets.

By all accounts, the veterans at the games value Harry & Meghan and that’s what’s matters. Everyone says Invictus is about the vets but then seem to impose what is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ to happen at the games. Yes, Invictus is an event but it seems as people forget it’s an event for Family & Friends as well, it’s why vets are allowed to bring two people for free to the games. It’s why 3 proposals happened at last years games and one at this years games so far. Also, family and friends are just as important at these events because THEY are also heavily impacted by a family member suffering. And there was nothing wrong with Meghans two minute speech which went over with the people she was actually addressing, her a parent talking to other parents about being parents. Her thanking the vets for welcoming her in.

It’s not just about competing, it’s about the love from those around you. If it was simply about competition you wouldn’t have so many competitors not focusing on the finish line but examples like a lady of from Team UK, going down the track next to a lady from Team Jordan because she heard the woman saying before that she was scared and nervous and kept pace with her throughout the entire race. Yes, people cheered when whoever won, won. They cheered even louder when the lady from Jordan finally made to the finish line, simply for doing.

Yes, they want to win, who doesn’t in a competition but it’s more about the love and being there for the person next to you. And Harry, and then Meghan have always turned up for the veterans and THATS what they care about.

And healing isn’t linear for people who just want Harry to up and get over whatever. It just about moving forward, it’s about taking that next step and knowing if you fail, you have a community around you to help you try again.

If it was simply about moving forward, there wouldn’t have been Darrell featured in the Heart of Invictus that confessed to this team during last years games that he had relapsed during the games and started drinking again.

Or Gabe, who got his injury not in the line of duty but during a car crash, for him, it was battle PTSD he was working through but what happened to him in his childhood. Much like Harry.

Or Team Denmark last year that had only team members suffering from PTSD, no matter how or when they got it.

People have already touched on the contact between the two but there was nothing unprofessional about hugging, or laughing with your spouse at a sporting event that…spouses. Harry wasn’t out here giving his Meghan pats on the bum to be cheeky.

And for coverage, please point me to where they’ve given interviews this week talking about them. I don’t understand how they’re not highlighting the games or competitors stories. An entire Documentary was made, Harry went on the one of Germany biggest sports shows to promote the games. If you follow any IG social media, it’s all about the games. People Mag, had at least two Exclusives about competitors, highlighting them, Hello! (I believe) Had one from the family & friends members of Team Nigeria. Fox News, has a segment about the games, The BBC has information about the games, as well as an interview with Harry to be aired. Good Morning America has at least two segments, one being an interview with Gabe about the games. And unlike their UK counterparts, they actually talk about the games and the competitors and highlight them instead of talking about Harry or the royals or whatever.

There is a ton of coverage. Team Nigeria showing up and sweeping golds for their first game. The Invictus Foundation event in which we learned a competitor found out about the games from her daughter when she was unable to simply make a choice about what’s socks she wanted to wear. The lady from South Korea being the first woman on her time to win a gold for her country. Taira story which has gotten tons of coverage and she credits Prince Harry and the games for saving her life. In a literal sense.

If someone chooses to ignore the coverage of the games and the veterans when it’s out there in favor of bashing H&M. That isn’t a failing on their part but a failing on the part of that individual. Harry & Meghan don’t force anyone to pay attention to them, interviews, books, documentaries, appearances are all optional viewing.

I won’t get too much into it because it’s not that a big a deal but Im Archewell is just as important work and has helped tons of people from Vax Live, WCK, Homeboy Industries and etc. People impacted by their work, value it and they wouldn’t have gotten the help they got without Archewell.

Overall, if you hate or dislike or don’t think much of them and still choose to engage with content and information about them, I don’t get it but fine. But let’s not use the Invictus Games and Veterans as a way to put them down or attempt by one speaking over the veterans, their wishes and their thoughts and two, acting as if one cares about them but doesn’t actually know anything about them. It says that you only care to use them as a tool to beat on Harry and Meghan while claiming they don’t care about veterans.

100% True! Thank you so much for this post.

I guess, I don’t see what the over the top affection is. But I, like many of the vets at the games love the PDA. And I think Harry should focus on whatever he finds joy in. If that includes Hollywood productions, then so be it. And M should continue to be with him because she’s just as good that these charitable endeavors & had been doing it pre-RF. Maybe not on the same scale but it’s in her background as well. I also brought up Meghan because it was a reply to a few comments, not just one.

And I guess, I view IG not as as so much a work event but how the actual people who are invested and take part in it as it is, an event for family and friends and expressing that. If they were making out in the middle of wheelchair basketball, then I’d see it.

Fair enough that people have different takes.

Also, the Mayor of Düsseldorf gifted Harry with an Invictus themed Birthday-cake. I can’t post a picture rn but it looks good..I wouldn’t eat it tho, I hate the taste of black icing. If there was a way to persevere it to show off, that’s be cool.

ChangeMySoul, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. As you say rightly, "Fair enough that People have different takes".

After events of the last few years, Some of us want a "new chapter", a different business model from the one that Harry and Meghan sought to use to elevate their public profile as Game Changing International Influencers.

Moving on from continuing public attacks against The Family-Firm. Never-ending. Allegations, misrepresentation and in some cases proven lies. Interviews, Docu-series, Podcasts and a Book.

It would be nice as you say, for Harry "to focus on whatever he finds find joy in". Like this Invictus Platform, where he simply excels.
That's all.
Leave the tawdry recriminations and grievances behind.

That's my hope.

Last edited:
Several posts have been removed or edited since they either involved bickering between members, or an insulting description, and responses to that description.

Let's get back to discussing the actual news on this thread. Further agenda driven posts will be removed.

t would be nice as you say, for Harry "to focus on whatever he finds find joy in". Like this Invictus Platform, where he simply excels.
That's all.

Well said Granada. I hope that as Prince Harry embarks on his 40th trip around the sun today, that he will concentrate on finding the joy and start afresh for this new year. ?

They look natural and having a great time with everyone at the IG. As far as the PDA they are not at a board meeting or royal event. And if their “brand” or their reinventing themselves is helping others and bringing joy way to go. They are a great success.

ChangeMySoul, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. As you say rightly, "Fair enough that People have different takes".

After events of the last few years, Some of us want a "new chapter", a different business model from the one that Harry and Meghan sought to use to elevate their public profile as Game Changing International Influencers.

Moving on from continuing public attacks against The Family-Firm. Never-ending. Allegations, misrepresentation and in some cases proven lies. Interviews, Docu-series, Podcasts and a Book.

It would be nice as you say, for Harry "to focus on whatever he finds find joy in". Like this Invictus Platform, where he simply excels.
That's all.

That's my hope.

Well said Granada!

Invictus is rightfully a "great success" as you say Maryrose. Because of its truly uplifting message, participants and platform.

The jury is still out on whether Brand Sussex is a 'great success' though. From my perspective, honestly no. Middling, still searching for that "niche" market and purpose, Invictus is hopefully a part of future similar projects for Harry to concentrate on.

I guess we will know over the next year or so. The Netflix Deal is crucial to financial security and personal credibility for them. "If" it fell apart, as The Spotify Deal did, I believe that would be very damaging.

But so far, it seems That Invictus is a resounding success. Maybe not the giant viewing numbers that Netflix might have hoped for. But a "Marquee" Program, prestige and feel good Programming. That matters too......

Last edited:
Invictus is rightfully a "great success" as you say Maryrose. Because of its truly uplifting message, participants and platform.

The jury is still out on whether Brand Sussex is a 'great success' though. From my perspective, honestly no. Middling, still searching for that "niche" market and purpose, Invictus is hopefully a part of future similar projects for Harry to concentrate on.

I guess we will know over the next year or so. The Netflix Deal is crucial to financial security and personal credibility for them.niche and hopefully "If" it fell apart, as The Spotify Deal did, I believe that would be very damaging.

But so far, it seems That Invictus is a resounding success. Maybe not the giant viewing numbers that Netflix might have hoped for. But a "Marquee" Program, prestige and feel good Programming. That matters too......
I think you are right about them finding their niche and hopefully things will fall into place and everyone can move forward. They have a great ability to shine a light on projects that are important to them as does William and Kate.

Hear hear changemysoul. If I could like your post 100x I would.

It has been so nice seeing Harry and Meghan with all the competitors and their families this week. We saw multiple people thank Harry and credit the games for saving them. We also saw many flat out tell Meghan how much they support her and don’t listen to the toxic noise.

I’m glad Invictus is a safe space for everyone. It was an amazing week watching everyone thrive! Unto 2025!

...We also saw many flat out tell Meghan how much they support her and don’t listen to the toxic noise...

So they haven't seen the Oprah Interview or the Netflix documentary, or read Spare then? :whistling:

I thought the Invictus Games was about the competitors, not MM. :ermm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom