The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched it back. The sound engineer fudged and mutted the sound on TV with the bells.

For people to jeer is undignified anyway

In any case it appears they went straight back after qnd the rest of the family went on to Guildhall.

It seems to be very much they go to family occasions which seems to be a very good balance the arrangers have struck.

"Perhaps that street was narrow, perhaps there were not a lot of escape routes." HighGoalHighDreams.

The vehicle was being driven out of Stable Yard Rd & right onto Cleveland Row. It then drove past York House St Jame's Palace on the right. Heading towards Pall Mall. I thought it was one way but looking again it isn't. It's two cars wide.

At one end of Cleveland Row is Bridgewater House which doubled as Clarence House in The Crown series 1.

It's probable that they'd been at Clarence House after the trooping.

Last edited:
They were loudly cheered as they arrived, didn't hear any booing. I know the crowd reaction will rub people the wrong way but they looked very happy and smiley.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the way they were at the window at Horseguards, we saw similar pictures of Beatrice interacting with the Cambridge children at one of the windows and there may well have been lots more pictures of other royals we just didn't see as they weren't printed/used by the media.

I did find rolling the car window all the way down odd. Not a crime, not unacceptable, just odd for a couple who claimed they wanted privacy and to be discreet on this visit and at least one of whom is so worried about security they are taking legal action against a government department over it.

Agreed.

Meghan with the kids at the window seemed like a normal thing for that event. Similar to Beatrice yesterday and other royals. It was cute.

The window rolled down just seemed a bit odd due to Harry’s very vocal security concerns. That he’s taken legal action over. IIRC- his rationale for not attending his grandfather’s thanksgiving service was security. Seemed a bit at odds with that stance to have the window down now. But- not a huge issue either.

Agreed.

Meghan with the kids at the window seemed like a normal thing for that event. Similar to Beatrice yesterday and other royals. It was cute.

The window rolled down just seemed a bit odd due to Harry’s very vocal security concerns. That he’s taken legal action over. IIRC- his rationale for not attending his grandfather’s thanksgiving service was security. Seemed a bit at odds with that stance to have the window down now. But- not a huge issue either.

Security wasn't his reason for the thanksgiving service. We honestly don't know other than, he released a statement that he wasn't coming.

It’s being reported that Harry and Meghan didn’t attend the reception that was held after. I’m a little surprised. I thought they would attend with the rest of the family.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nce-Harry-Meghan-return-Frogmore-Cottage.html

Here’s an article (with video) discussing the mixed reaction the Sussexes received from the crowd.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10882071/Harry-Meghan-met-mixture-boos-cheers.html

I didn't realize there was something after, mayhaps they went back to tend to the kids? I don't have any kids so I'm not sure how long it'd take them to get settled after a long flight or just mood in general being moved around.

I'm no longer a fan of Harry and Meghan's but it is unfortunate that some members of the crowd choose to be negative. This weekend is about Queen Elizabeth's amazing, historic reign and Harry and Meghan attended at her invitation.

I believe they were invited to the lunch but declined in order to maintain a low profile, as they promised.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: August 2021-

Security wasn't his reason for the thanksgiving service. We honestly don't know other than, he released a statement that he wasn't coming.

I didn't realize there was something after, mayhaps they went back to tend to the kids? I don't have any kids so I'm not sure how long it'd take them to get settled after a long flight or just mood in general being moved around.

Was it not? I just remember right around the service there was lots of talk about Harry being unhappy about security. So it seemed like there was a correlation. But perhaps not. Oh….Now that I think about it- you’re right- there was no specific reason for why he missed it.

IDK- but it seems like it was a good opportunity to interact with people they’ve had little to no in person contact with in- starting to push- 3 years. I’m sure they were invited. And obviously they have child care. But certainly it could have been about the kids.

Last edited:
Yes me too. Seems strange the extended family attended and they were missing. I wonder if they didn’t want to? As I can’t imagine them not being invited.

Here's my three theories at the moment:

i) They were invited, but declined.

ii) They were not invited, to keep the occasion as relaxed and free of awkward, forced-smile moments as possible for Charles, Camilla, William and Kate.

iii) They were not invited to ensure they couldn't use the occasion to farm content for their Netflix show. Cameras would not have been allowed, but conversations can still be remembered and repeated.

I personally think it was a combo of i) and ii) - non-attendance by mutual agreement. Having them at the reception might just have made everyone tense to the point where nobody enjoyed it. Including H&M.

Surely it is likely that they went back to see after their kids? A one year old baby may not have been very happy to be left in a strange location, and if she is crying, parents would go to see about her ASAP. Part of being a parent is doing what’s right for your children, even if you have to miss something special.

It's possible that they decided to be discreet for once, and made an excuse about jet lag or needing to get back to the children. Whatever's gone on, I'm glad that they've come, simply because I think it will have meant a lot to the Queen to have met Lilibet in person and to have seen Archie for the first time in a long time.

A lady I follow on Instagram travelled for the jubilee celebrations and was outside St Paul’s this morning. She has said the booing was related to a coach arriving as royals were leaving and blocking the view of the steps from hundreds of people who had been up early to be there.

Surely it is likely that they went back to see after their kids? A one year old baby may not have been very happy to be left in a strange location, and if she is crying, parents would go to see about her ASAP. Part of being a parent is doing what’s right for your children, even if you have to miss something special.

That's definitely a consideration, especially as jet-lag would have been at play - you can't explain to a one-year-old that this isn't actually the right time to sleep.

They've been able to separate from the kids before, such as when they went to New York last September, but that was always leaving them at home, instead of in an unfamiliar place...

It's possible that they decided to be discreet for once, and made an excuse about jet lag or needing to get back to the children. Whatever's gone on, I'm glad that they've come, simply because I think it will have meant a lot to the Queen to have met Lilibet in person and to have seen Archie for the first time in a long time.

Agreed. I’m glad they’ve come. This may be HM’s only chance to see Lilibet in person. Nothing is guaranteed. And seeing Archie again, of course. (I could say the same for Charles really. He’s getting up there in age.)

It’s being reported that Harry and Meghan didn’t attend the reception that was held after. I’m a little surprised. I thought they would attend with the rest of the family.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nce-Harry-Meghan-return-Frogmore-Cottage.html

Here’s an article (with video) discussing the mixed reaction the Sussexes received from the crowd.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10882071/Harry-Meghan-met-mixture-boos-cheers.html

Yes, it must be true when DM says so:eek:

I am very happy to see Harry and Meghan back in the UK for this occasion.

Yes, it must be true when DM says so:eek:

I am very happy to see Harry and Meghan back in the UK for this occasion.

This isn’t only being reported by the DM. Other outlets are reporting on it as well. Plus there’s photos and videos from the reception and Harry and Meghan weren’t there.

Yeah, that makes sense. It’s possible they wanted to get back to their kids and that’s why they didn’t attend.

Last edited:
A lady I follow on Instagram travelled for the jubilee celebrations and was outside St Paul’s this morning. She has said the booing was related to a coach arriving as royals were leaving and blocking the view of the steps from hundreds of people who had been up early to be there.

Hmm interesting. I heard that there was a clip from fox news going around and you could hear boo's but i've checked about nine sources and the royal family feed and boo's. I saw a comment that said the same thing.

And it's strange, when the BBC were first reporting/implying boo's.

And when they aired again, they mentioned nothing about booing so I'm unsure

But I wouldn't be shocked if they had got them.

--------

I'm assuming they wanted to get back to the kids and family they want to see and or hang out with, they'll make time to see them. Maybe still planning for Lili's bday, if they're having a big party or something.

Also more fun notes from in service, it was really fun to see Harry watching the steps as Meghan walked out, he also has beef with them.

----------

I don't know if anyone puts stock in Vanity Fair but they reported that Harry and Meghan were seen leaving Clarence House before the Thanksgiving service & Clarence House declined to comment.

I wonder if they took the opportunity to spend more time with HMQ, especially as she was alone (ie without family) back at Windsor.

I can't imagine anyone booing at a royal event. British people, or at least the sort who got to royal events, just aren't made like that. The PM of course is an entirely different kettle of fish.

So if people did boo, even if was only a handful, well it talks to the level of frustration & annoyance that many genuinely feel. If people feel aggrieved & insulted & believe that those at the top take no notice then how else are people supposed to act?

That it should have come to this is deeply saddening. Someone at the top needs to listen to public opinion more.

Last edited:
I can't imagine anyone booing at a royal event. British people, or at least the sort who got to royal events, just aren't made like that. The PM of course is an entirely different kettle of fish.

So if people did boo, even if was only a handful, well it talks to the level of frustration & annoyance that many genuinely feel. If people feel aggrieved & insulted & believe that those at the top take no notice then how else are people supposed to act?

That it should have come to this is deeply saddening. Someone at the top needs to listen to public opinion more.

I heard it on the broadcast both as they entered and left and I was honestly surprised because usually at important royal events you'd get cheering no matter what. It is sad but in many ways they brought it on themselves. It was probably only a small group though. There was cheering too of course but that's what you'd expect.

Update, it looks like some people got to see Archie & Lili (if only I could :sad: )

George Northwood posted on instagram and said he was happy to reunite with the Sussex family (used a photo from today), he also said that Archie is the cutest and well mannered and Lili is beautiful.

Seriously, crossing my fingers but at this rate, we won't see them until they're 40 years old lol.

Last edited:
I heard it on the broadcast both as they entered and left and I was honestly surprised because usually at important royal events you'd get cheering no matter what. It is sad but in many ways they brought it on themselves. It was probably only a small group though. There was cheering too of course but that's what you'd expect.

I admit I held my breath as they arrived, and was relieved when they got inside with nothing too unpleasant coming over the audio. The Sussexes being widely booed would have been very unpleasant for everyone to listen to, not least the Queen likely watching at home, and would have gone against the spirit of the service and the entire celebration.

This isn’t only being reported by the DM. Other outlets are reporting on it as well. Plus there’s photos and videos from the reception and Harry and Meghan weren’t there.

Yeah, that makes sense. It’s possible they wanted to get back to their kids and that’s why they didn’t attend.

I think perhaps that isn't the case. The others all have young children too. In fact all but Peter and William have toddlers/infants and many have moved into hotels for 4/5 days. All the Tindalls and I presume Peter and kids are at the Stafford. I would very much presume with so many children that there was something arranged for them and joined up child care or nannies. Because they were all done by 3pm.

That type of thing was never Meghan's scene anyway and it was probably a mutual agreement what they would not attend.

I mean will they be there tomorrow at either event?

Last edited:
Well one would presume the kids were there when the hairdresser came to do the hair.

Last edited:
Figured.

I just wanted to share this cute little update. Cute to me at least.

Of course but also self serving on his behave. He is in the business of promoting themselves.

We have no right to ever see the children. They are private citizens. The same for all the children of non working royals. That they choose to take them to events is their own choice.

M and H may also do this as they get bigger. I would not expect to see a 3 year old and 1 year old this weekend. And they live outside the country.

Of course but also self serving on his behave. He is in the business of promoting themselves.

We have no right to ever see the children. They are private citizens. The same for all the children of non working royals. That they choose to take them to events is their own choice.

M and H may also do this as they get bigger. I would not expect to see a 3 year old and 1 year old this weekend. And they live outside the country.

It is fair that it could be seen as self-serving. I don't think it is, he seems more like an actual friend and he just wanted to share in the joy. I can admit the part about the kids is a bit of tease and it could've been left at he was happy to see the Sussex family.

And I know we have no right because as much as I'd like to see them. Which is why I say, I wish I could but that's because they're just adorable and I love kiddies when I don't have to take care of them lol.

Honestly, the next time we see them will most likely be a Christmas card and the back of their heads again, which, y'know, I accept. I don't mind cooing over some curls.

Agreed. I’m glad they’ve come. This may be HM’s only chance to see Lilibet in person. Nothing is guaranteed. And seeing Archie again, of course. (I could say the same for Charles really. He’s getting up there in age.)
The week of the Platinum Jubilee festivities was not the only chance for The Queen to meet and interact with her Sussex great-grandchildren, in fact this week is not a good time at all. If Harry and Meghan wanted to come to the UK for the Platinum Jubilee so be it, but if The Queen getting to know her California-based great-grandchildren was of paramount importance, then arrangements would have been made to have the Sussex children visit either well before or well after the Platinum Jubilee festivities.

P.S.
Perhaps there are plans for the Sussexes and their children to spend time with The Queen and The Prince of Wales in the near future.

Many people do like them but far more do not. The empirical evidence for that is crystal clear. And consistent.

They are very divisive. Profoundly so.

And since the royal family is supposed to help the monarchy in being a unifying force in British society it is a real problem.

And their presence is undoubtedly spoiling the occasion for the monarchy’s natural supporters. Just read comments in publications like the The Telegraph for confirmation of that.
Might we see some empirical evidence? It strikes me that the sound varied from agency to agency and, as one of our members said earlier, they booed at a bus blocking their view.

For my part, I believe that some people have manners and some don't. Also, it is unrealistic to expect everyone to like every member of the BRF as they are all different and behave differently and we each see them through the lens of our own preferences and prejudices. But the continued demand to excommunicate them from the BRF entirely is neither fair nor rational.

The British Royal Family is just that, first and foremost, a family and we can all appreciate that family dynamics are at times incomprehensible. But blood is thicker than water and, in my personal experience, while I can fume at my sisters, let anyone else put their oar in, it'll be snapped off pretty damned smartly.
I'm no longer a fan of Harry and Meghan's but it is unfortunate that some members of the crowd choose to be negative. This weekend is about Queen Elizabeth's amazing, historic reign and Harry and Meghan attended at her invitation.

I believe they were invited to the lunch but declined in order to maintain a low profile, as they promised.
You could be right but this is also the first time they have left their children in the care of strangers and I am guessing both parents were a little anxious as parents often are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom