The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick to discussing their Jubilee appearances and not Meghan’s visit to Uvalde.

I thought the rolled down window was very odd. They had clearly been granted a curtesy in being given a car with what looked to me to be heavily tinted windows, dark enough to allow them to travel down the Mall (?) in anonymity. With the number of family members arriving at Buckingham Palace today, there would have been no way to know who was traveling in the car.

The tinted windows were a very kind gesture on the part of whoever arranged the car, as members of the family typically travel to officials events in cars with overlarge windows to allow a maximum number of people to view them as they pass. It is a curtesy to the people who line up for hours and sometimes days to catch a millisecond glance at them as they are driven by. It also means that the family members don't get a moment to themselves, to even relax their facial expressions or slouch down. But they do it as a curtesy and kindness to the people who, again, wait just to catch a glance at them.

But as the Sussex family has clearly made known their discomfort at being on display and Harry has made known his discomfort at being photographed, particularly while in a car, they were afforded a small curtesy that isn't in keeping with how things are normally done. In addition, I imagine all windows are bullet proof. I may be mistaken, but don't recall seeing any other member of the family rolling down a window on the way to an event.

Was there anything "wrong" with it? Of course not. Was it odd? I thought so.

[.....]

Sienna Monet-This might be photo you're thinking of in this article. The window is rolled down and you can see Meghan and then Harry behind her. Looks like they are either arriving or returning from the event.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Harry-Meghan-roll-car-window-beam-crowds.html

That's it! Thank you! I saw the account who owned the video and it looks like this was when they were arriving!

So now Meghan can't do what the other were doing and look out the window? Lol

And once again, I agree with ACO. At some point, something's gotta give and people have to understand their projecting onto her, what they want her to be.

Her window was hardly rolled down the way, it wasn't that serious and obliviously she felt safe enough to smile out the window.

And she's also not allowed to play with kids because they're at the window and she has to force herself into the shadows and be recluse. And if she does go to the window, just a spotlight hog.

Lol, I know Harry is here for his grandmother but now I want them to turn around and just go back to Cali, it's not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I found it a bit unusual considering that the Duke has made his concerns about his personal security when in the UK well known. However I'm glad that they obviously felt safe enough to do so though.

I don't see the issue but it isn't even about the car but the building too. How is it odd to look out the windows at the parade? Literally images of many of the family doing it but Meghan standing next to the kids is a conspiracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, it's Harry who's been whingeing about security, not Meghan. He seems to have this absolute paranoia about security, but that's not to say that she does too.

I don't see the issue but it isn't even about the car but the building too. How is it odd to look out the windows at the parade? Literally images of many of the family doing it but Meghan standing next to the kids is a conspiracy.

I find it unusual that she's rolled down the car window due to his stated concerns about his and the family's personal security in the UK. :ermm: However I don't find it odd at all that they're viewing the Trooping the Color from the windows. Nor do I believe that it is a "conspiracy" that she interacts with the children.

The family always view from those windows but this year more emphasise appears to have been placed on them by photographers and the TV than I recall from previous years.

Apologies this should be in the Trooping thread,

The family always view from those windows but this year more emphasise appears to have been placed on them by photographers and the TV than I recall from previous years.

Apologies this should be in the Trooping thread,

I think you've made a good decision to post here, to keep discussion of the Sussex family here. Certainly the reason the cameras are more focused on the windows this year is the presence of the Sussex family at the windows, so your comment certainly might have led to discussion of them.

Of course, fewer family members are on the balcony this year, meaning the only photos of them would be at the windows. But I cannot think that the opportunity to see photos of them would necessarily be as big a draw.

I do personally always enjoy the photos at the windows as it reminds me there is a family inside enjoying a gathering.

I thought it looked a bit attention-seeking for Meghan to position herself right by the window at Horse Guards and also to lower her car window. It reminds me of Sarah Ferguson's behaviour and I don't think that's particularly attractive.
Literally they are meant to watch from the window, I saw Cambridges by the window as well yet Meg cant must go stand in the shadows?!?!.l

Very sweet pictures with the girls. I think it goes to show that we have no idea how much they all still interact. They all seem quite comfortable with Meghan despite it all.

There are children who are responsive to adults who are warm and engaging to them. For all we know it’s the only thing they said to them. She would have meet Savannah and Isla a number of years ago. They may remember her.

The windows are a perfect opportunity for the media to get the children. Am I shocked by Meghan at the window…No. She may have just literally breezed by and chatted to the kids. She’s the car window shock me…not really interested in it.

In reality. Does it matter? No.

I'm certainly no fan of Meghan, but I found it hardly attention-seeking for her to engage in conversation with the Tindall & Phillips girls at the window today. There have been plenty of photos in years past of the Cambridge kids, the York girls, the Wessexes, even Camilla and Meghan back in 2019 watching the parade from those same windows.

It was nice to see that she does have a relationship with those girls, and it gives me hope that old hurts are going to eventually be healed, or at least far enough in the past that some trust can be re-built. Even if they're never working royals again, it would be a shame for them to feel like they can't travel freely to the UK to visit family privately or make appearances at important events (like Trooping, Christmas/Easter services, or Royal Ascot). Archie and Lilibet should be lucky enough to establish close familial bonds with their cousins, uncle, aunt and the rest of their British relatives.

[.....]

Her window was hardly rolled down the way, it wasn't that serious and obliviously she felt safe enough to smile out the window.

(...)

I've seen photo where the car window was rolled down all the way which I find odd considering how Harry makes a fuse about protecting his family and his latest judicial review against Met which basically based on him being "chased by horde of paparazzi". Maybe it's just me but opening car window fully like that seems to be inviting paparazzi. But well, this is not the first time they contradict their own words anyway.

However, I don't see anything wrong about her engaging with the girls while watching the Parade. Harry was close with the girls, so he might have introduced Meghan to them in her short time living in Windsor.

Now, if I were Harry, with the news that the Queen won't be at the Thanksgiving service, I'd choose to stay in Windsor than go to London. It'd further prove that he comes for his grandmother, spending time with her introducing his daughter, and not to get royal appearance for Netflix.

I think you've made a good decision to post here, to keep discussion of the Sussex family here. Certainly the reason the cameras are more focused on the windows this year is the presence of the Sussex family at the windows, so your comment certainly might have led to discussion of them.

Of course, fewer family members are on the balcony this year, meaning the only photos of them would be at the windows. But I cannot think that the opportunity to see photos of them would necessarily be as big a draw.

I do personally always enjoy the photos at the windows as it reminds me there is a family inside enjoying a gathering.

The point about less people on BP balcony is probably the reason for more attention at Horseguards, I had forgotten that when I typed my post.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the way they were at the window at Horseguards, we saw similar pictures of Beatrice interacting with the Cambridge children at one of the windows and there may well have been lots more pictures of other royals we just didn't see as they weren't printed/used by the media.

I did find rolling the car window all the way down odd. Not a crime, not unacceptable, just odd for a couple who claimed they wanted privacy and to be discreet on this visit and at least one of whom is so worried about security they are taking legal action against a government department over it.

yep - agree with Tommy100.

there were many of the royals at the window - not all pics are been seen. But ultimately it comes down to he newspapers and outlets distributing it.

Rolling down a window of a secure car however is another thing. It is a immediate warning for a guard and driver in case you are wondering. The American secret service it is immediate removal from post. However this has happened before - I think the Princess of Wales was given a security briefing because she did the exact thing. And she wasn't the only one.
Please note however it depends on the security level of the event. however the Jubilee has heightened security and that as a security vehicle and the crowd was quiet close - so they would have received a word from their security lead for that one. It is a different case if you are at Windsor in a Landrover and the crowd is 5 people.

First loud cheers of the day heard from the assembled crowds as Meghan and Harry arrived at St Paul?s for the Thanksgiving Service.

?First loud cheers of the day outside St Paul's are for Harry and Meghan arriving - despite people claiming they're unpopular, they seem to be pretty popular with the royals crowd?.

First loud cheers of the day heard from the assembled crowds as Meghan and Harry arrived at St Paul?s for the Thanksgiving Service.

?First loud cheers of the day outside St Paul's are for Harry and Meghan arriving - despite people claiming they're unpopular, they seem to be pretty popular with the royals crowd?.

Was not the first. They crowd were cheering while they all arrived. I am glad they didn't stop it would have been undignified.

According to Sky News commentators and a number of reporters on the ground, the reaction was mixed. Some boos and some cheers.

There was a loud reaction from the crowd to the arrival of Harry and Meghan: a mix of boos and cheers.

Our correspondent outside says what sounded like a mixed reaction had turned into a clear cheer by the time the Sussexes had reached the top of the steps.

Richard Palmer

Last edited:
On TV I could only hear cheers from the crowd as Harry & Meghan walked up the steps, unlike the unmistakeable boos when the Prime Minister arrived.

On TV I could only hear cheers from the crowd as Harry & Meghan walked up the steps, unlike the unmistakeable boos when the Prime Minister arrived.

They arrived with most of the family. All the cheers were mingled in. They were received as they should be.

It depends on the sound engineer what you will hear - they can amplify the boos at the PM and up the bells to remove them for the Sussex's. However from where I am - I couldn't not hear it.

That is the point of a constitutional monarchy, isn't it? The prime minister is a partisan politician who has to make government decisions, sometimes controversial ones, and take responsibility for them. Depending on how successful or how disastrous their governments are, some prime ministers will be more popular than others or the contrary, but, like the President of the United States, they will always be in general liked by some sections of the population and disliked, or even loathed by others who would prefer a change of government.

The Royal Family on the other hand is above partisan politics and does not make any government decision. So they can unite and represent the whole country regardless of a person's partisan preferences. Of course, that is only in theory, because a republican (someone who is against the institution of hereditary monarchy in principle and thinks it should be abolished) won't feel represented by the Royals or cheer them.

Many people do like them but far more do not. The empirical evidence for that is crystal clear. And consistent.

They are very divisive. Profoundly so.

And since the royal family is supposed to help the monarchy in being a unifying force in British society it is a real problem.

And their presence is undoubtedly spoiling the occasion for the monarchy’s natural supporters. Just read comments in publications like the The Telegraph for confirmation of that.

Last edited:
I've seen photo where the car window was rolled down all the way which I find odd considering how Harry makes a fuse about protecting his family and his latest judicial review against Met which basically based on him being "chased by horde of paparazzi". Maybe it's just me but opening car window fully like that seems to be inviting paparazzi. But well, this is not the first time they contradict their own words anyway.

However, I don't see anything wrong about her engaging with the girls while watching the Parade. Harry was close with the girls, so he might have introduced Meghan to them in her short time living in Windsor.

Now, if I were Harry, with the news that the Queen won't be at the Thanksgiving service, I'd choose to stay in Windsor than go to London. It'd further prove that he comes for his grandmother, spending time with her introducing his daughter, and not to get royal appearance for Netflix.

The photo still I saw on twitter didn't have it down all of the way but I did go back and find the video and saw it rolled down (so maybe what I saw was just captured in the moment) and it still wasn't strange to me. Meghan has enjoyed people, maybe because she saw of them waving and cheering and enjoying seeing her it, she it would be a nice thing to do. Maybe she wanted to see the crowd. I guess, it's a non-issue for me and just a human doing human things but hey, if other people see as attention seeking behavior or whatever, nothing you can do. (And not saying you but if you feel that way, I don't get it but I'll respect it.)

Also not inviting the paparazzi when you know they'll already be cameras, unless one of them managed to jump into the car through the window and as funny (alarming!) as the sight would be, I doubt that would happen.

As for the judicial review, a planned car ride with security already set up in a safe environment when you know paps won't be chasing you, is different from being at for whatever activity and paps chasing you. Obviously, whatever they have set up for security is to his liking.

And once again...Netflix and all I can say is. It doesn't matter they do here, it'll always be for Netflix to some so sure? /shrug

This whole thing would make more sense if people said it's something for CBS, at least they're connected to the tell all.

-----

I also keep seeing the word privacy. They never said anything about privacy, they did say they were happy to come and celebrate the Jubilee.

And I think, they're far more people who like them than not, it's just the ones who don't are extremely loud about it.

-------------

And as for today!

I was happy to wake up to a lot. I heard cheers, no boo's but if they get boo'd then eh, it happens. I'm seeing more people who were on the ground saying there weren't. I'm sure they'll be able to take it on the chin and keep it moving. I also heard cheers when they were leaving out and coming down the steps. Though, I'm sure it does make some people mad/disappointed that the boo's weren't super loud for the narrative they painted.

Someone posted a video of people in the crowd being interviewed and one one guy said he was excited to see them.

Fun bits also for anyone who cares from the inside...

When they were walking down the church isle...there was a dial? In the middle and they smoothly let go of hands, went around it and held them again.

At one point, I think Harry was fixing his tie and asking Meghan questions. They were all smiles and when she said 'yeah' to whatever he asked, he had his cute little smile and they guy behind them was also enjoying the interaction.

They also looked like they were having a good time with those around them. There was one shot of what could looked like Jack, Eugenie, Harry & Meghan laughing at something.

It was all good to see.

I'm out here looking for more videos and photos.

Cheering &/or booing is not an accurate indicator of anything other than who's in a particular crowd at a specific moment.

Having a car window open does seem a little strange. That said I've seen other public figures do this before & it's always struck me as rather odd if there are concerns over security.

But it is right that people draw attention to this because of all the (admittedly media driven) drama surrounding Harry Windsor's security. And Harry of course took the deliberate decision to take the British Government to court. Despite not being treated any differently than anyone else in his position in the rf.

All of which will of course cost the British taxpayer money because the government's lawyers have to be paid for. Hopefully these funds will recouped from Harry Windsor. Because the loser in these reviews always pays. Which is only fair after all.

Last edited:
yep - agree with Tommy100.

there were many of the royals at the window - not all pics are been seen. But ultimately it comes down to he newspapers and outlets distributing it.

Rolling down a window of a secure car however is another thing. It is a immediate warning for a guard and driver in case you are wondering. The American secret service it is immediate removal from post. However this has happened before - I think the Princess of Wales was given a security briefing because she did the exact thing. And she wasn't the only one.
Please note however it depends on the security level of the event. however the Jubilee has heightened security and that as a security vehicle and the crowd was quiet close - so they would have received a word from their security lead for that one. It is a different case if you are at Windsor in a Landrover and the crowd is 5 people.

Thank you for the information Claire. I had not considered the consequences for security and drivers if the guarded passengers choose to roll down the windows.

I wonder if perhaps some of the (welcomed) difference in perspective doesn't come from people who are "royal watchers" versus those who have joined in following the Royal Family in more recent times as they were drawn to learn about them as a result of Meghan joining the family.

I've followed the Royal Family since I was old enough to read a book and, my goodness, I think I've been on this site hearing different perspectives to challenge my own for 15 or 20 years. I've seen too many dozens of entrances to services like this to count. I am going to notice very different things to someone who has maybe seen a procession into and out of St. Paul's five or six times, and their significance will strike us in different ways

Everything- and I do mean every thing- is put into place at events like this for a very particular purpose. Royal watchers know this because over the decades we have read the old hardback books and watched the hours of documentaries by the security personnel, the dressmakers, the service staff, etc., explaining how it all fits together. Many of us, including me, have gone to the UK for events like this one and stood in the crowds ourselves. We've toured the buildings and residences and heard the stories.

So when I see a couple from the family being driven to an event in a car very different to how couples usually arrive at such things, my mind jumps to the effort from many people that went into the decision making. Someone (several people) decided they needed a tinted window for privacy and security. Someone ordered the car. Someone got the driver and chose the route. Hours of decision-making and planning went into it.

That's why I don't see someone just rolling down a window. I see someone not caring for the concern that went into her safety and anonymity, and not respecting the people in the position, better than her, to make that call; or perhaps not bothering to learn why what she is doing just isn't done. Because if she is at risk, the officers driving her put their own lives on the line. Perhaps that street was narrow, perhaps there were not a lot of escape routes.

It doesn't make my view any more valid than anyone else's because my hobby has long been to learn about this family and their way of operating; but perhaps this explains a bit why some of us have a different perspective.

I wonder if perhaps some of the (welcomed) difference in perspective doesn't come from people who are "royal watchers" versus those who have joined in following the Royal Family in more recent times as they were drawn to learn about them as a result of Meghan joining the family.

I've followed the Royal Family since I was old enough to read a book and, my goodness, I think I've been on this site hearing different perspectives to challenge my own for 15 or 20 years. I've seen too many dozens of entrances to services like this to count. I am going to notice very different things to someone who has maybe seen a procession into and out of St. Paul's five or six times, and their significance will strike us in different ways

Everything- and I do mean every thing- is put into place at events like this for a very particular purpose. Royal watchers know this because over the decades we have read the old hardback books and watched the hours of documentaries by the security personnel, the dressmakers, the service staff, etc., explaining how it all fits together. Many of us, including me, have gone to the UK for events like this one and stood in the crowds ourselves. We've toured the buildings and residences and heard the stories.

So when I see a couple from the family being driven to an event in a car very different to how couples usually arrive at such things, my mind jumps to the effort from many people that went into the decision making. Someone (several people) decided they needed a tinted window for privacy and security. Someone ordered the car. Someone got the driver and chose the route. Hours of decision-making and planning went into it.

That's why I don't see someone just rolling down a window. I see someone not caring for the concern that went into her safety and anonymity, and not respecting the people in the position, better than her, to make that call; or perhaps not bothering to learn why what she is doing just isn't done. Because if she is at risk, the officers driving her put their own lives on the line. Perhaps that street was narrow, perhaps there were not a lot of escape routes.

It doesn't make my view any more valid than anyone else's because my hobby has long been to learn about this family and their way of operating; but perhaps this explains a bit why some of us have a different perspective.

I guess, in that, for me it would be, the people in the car (security and who ever is being secured) would know better about what the security is, what is and isn't okay and the details behind the care being provided.

That being said, thank you for your sharing because before, I said I didn't get it and this has helped a bit me see how other people could see it even I don't get the logic myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom