The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who gets to decide the appropriate ratio? ? Such apportioning scrutiny is OTT and off-base when applied to anyone.

When Meghan wore an off-the-shoulder gown at the British Fashion Awards, she was heavily criticized in some quarters and erroneously characterized in the media as 'breaking protocol.' Another royal lady, wearing her off-the-shoulder dress the other evening, was universally lauded as 'classy, angelic, elegant.' Not a word about 'breaking protocol.' Because she wasn't, but neither was Meghan. There's plenty of 'evidence' whether or not you are perceiving it.

Not really, the level of scrutiny of Meghan's clothes is not OTT, and is very much in line with that endured by Catherine and Diana.

As regards appropriate ratio, at one level, it is Joe Public that decides. But my guess is that if you worked on the 80:20 ratio, you are okay.

:previous: Great, that's your assessment, which doesn't fit the parameters and perceptions of everyone. ?

... Onto Meghan's outfit. I LOVED this look. She looked serene, peaceful and happy. And considering the beating she took <again> at the hands of her father <again>, this woman is holding herself with such grace! The repeats are nice to see, if only to get people off her back.

It's interesting, pre-pregnancy, Meghan's working wardrobe favored more loose fitting, "large" clothing, I complained that it felt a lot like she was choosing clothes that just hung on her, or "wore" her. In pregnancy is is really going for more tight fitting. It's a stark contrast and I'm interested to see if she goes back to the "oversize" post pregnancy. I question if the tight fit is as some say, because she's choosing clothes not designed for maternity, or is a choice on her part because she's so proud and happy and excited about this pregnancy!

She really is all baby. I've seen people say her belly is so large because she's so petite, and while she is thin naturally, she's an average height. I do believe she's growing a large baby!

I agree with you, and I wonder how much bigger she's going to get with the baby and at least a couple more months to go. ;) Definitely, I agree with your points. Similar to the contradictions in the Guardian article I linked! It is indeed interesting that immediately after the wedding, Meghan seemed to be trying so hard to fit in, and she seemed to be covering up a lot with long skirts and loose clothing, contrasted with her pregnancy now, during which she's been wearing comfortable body-hugging outfits.

I think as I said earlier, that sometime around early September when the royals came back from summer vacation, and Meghan wore that mini-dress to the Hamilton gala fundraiser event, to me that's the moment when she seemed to be making the statement: 'This is me. This is who I am. I shall not be moved.'

Meghan definitely seems to be a lot more comfortable in expressing her sartorial individuality. I'm sure being pregnant has in some way made her feel more confident and comfortable in her royal role. We don't get to see how she's faring behind the scenes. But I have no doubt that her hearing about some of the noise has been upsetting, especially the family betrayal. But from what I've seen, Meghan is a positive person, and she must be finding support from those closest around her, and from relying on her inner strength, calm and graceful dignity.

Last edited:
Was DoC Kate's angelic white at BAFTA too stark for you as well? Some people mentioned wishing her gown instead had been the pink one suspected that she wore to Prince Charles' birthday bash. In any case, these royal ladies, they are definitely paying our preferences no mind. ?

By now, I just watch and I try to take inspiration in ways I can for what might work for me. HRH Duchess of Sussex Meghan is less than a year married and pregnant, living in her new country, and setting an admirable pace. She 'suits' herself, as she should. Being oneself and suiting oneself is more than just a notion. It's likely a necessity. It's likely the key to achieving success. ;) :flowers:
Yes, I generally do not care for white dresses that are not a wedding dress.

:previous: Great, that's your assessment, which doesn't fit the parameters and perceptions of everyone. ?

Quite right, it is subjective, and this is only my view. ?

But there is a happy medium between tent-like maternity clothing and skin-tight!
Seraphine has beautiful maternity wear, and it appears to be very comfortable.

Cool selections on Seraphine's website. And this brand is definitely trading on and channeling the Duchess of Sussex and the Duchess of Cambridge: :D

https://www.seraphine.com/en-us/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrIWTlIq54AIVyI-zCh00ZAdfEAAYASAAEgKUL_D_BwE

It's a matter of choice. Some of the selections are comfortably bodyhugging and others are not.

The thread has been cleaned up. Comments and posts about the Duchess of Sussex's title, her friends and media campaigns have been removed as off-topic. This is also not the place for the repetitive discussion about discussions at large. Please refrain from comparisons and stay respectful. Thank you!

But there is a happy medium between tent-like maternity clothing and skin-tight!
Seraphine has beautiful maternity wear, and it appears to be very comfortable.

Uh, I would suggest a look at their website. Because a lot of their stuff is about as form fitting, or even moreso, than what she's wearing here. Especially over the belly. It's hardly skin tight here. It's form fitting, but a pretty easy fit overall.

As for the British designer versus foreign designers discussion... I can’t really comment on Meghan since I’m not British so I don’t really feel it’s any of my business, but I am Dutch and while it would be nice if, let’s say Maxima, would wear mostly Dutch designers, in reality I don’t care. She represents my country and I would expect her, and others in the DRF, to do it appropriatly and respectfully. Perhaps my standards or too low, but as long as she doesn’t embarrass this country I don’t really care what she wears. So far Meghan exeeds my standards by a long shot.

Umm, keeping to the thread topic:

Here's a link to a slideshow depicting royal maternity style over the years. The slideshow is embedded in one of the Meghan maternity style articles I linked earlier:

https://footwearnews.com/gallery/royal-maternity-style-kate-middleton-meghan-markle-photos/

The opening photo showing QE-II's outfit in 1948! It's so old-fashioned in it's cut and styling, but obviously it was the height of fashion back then. Though similarly to Meghan's ruffled down-the-center azure blue dress last September, there is pretty detail at the waist intended to obscure a small baby bump. I suppose QE-II was pregnant with Charles in this picture.

She really likes to wear tight clothes. When a maternity outfit is so tight you see the naval I just don't think it's elegant. I don't like to see nipples on people either or lumps. But I love her hairstyle and makeup, white is a good color for her

Shoes worn to the BFA were gold. :flowers:

Got to thank the Daily mail for their quick uploads:

HQ Pictures:

*Front View 1* *Front View 2* *Side View*

Aquazzura Shoes: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy04pbtXcAAqOW5.jpg

I like the look. I find it very elegant.

The Duchess of Sussex attends a Gala Performance of The Wilder Earth at the NHM London.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzOjkOaX0AEna2a.jpg:large (Full View)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzOk8LIWsAIKs_6.jpg (Solo Shot)

Calvin Klein White dress and Amanda Wakeley White coat.

Repeat Coat from the Commonwealth Day Service.
https://fashionista.com/.image/t_share/MTU0MTMyMTAwMzE5MDI4OTg3/meghan-markle-white-coat.jpg

Bespoke Dress altered from his 2019 Collection:
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/resort-2019/calvin-klein/slideshow/collection#1

I love the look. Very elegant and divine. Beautiful coat.

Here's a link to a slideshow depicting royal maternity style over the years. The slideshow is embedded in one of the Meghan maternity style articles I linked earlier:

https://footwearnews.com/gallery/royal-maternity-style-kate-middleton-meghan-markle-photos/

The opening photo showing QE-II's outfit in 1948! It's so old-fashioned in it's cut and styling, but obviously it was the height of fashion back then. Though similarly to Meghan's ruffled down-the-center azure blue dress last September, there is pretty detail at the waist intended to obscure a small baby bump. I suppose QE-II was pregnant with Charles in this picture.
Thank you for posting. It seems as if the Countess of Wessex wore similarly tight dresses as Meghan.

(..)

Perhaps some observers were more comfortable with Meghan's look when she was only a few months pregnant and her bump was minimal:
https://pmcfootwearnews.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/meghan-41.jpg

I think Meghan has been managing very well with her wardrobe choices during her pregnancy. There has been color and variety, and some unexpected surprises.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think it has to do with the season. Form fitting is comfortable in winter whereas it'd be difficult in the summer. Flowy is probably far more comfortable in summer months as pregnant women tend to run hot anyways, but it might be not warm enough for winter.

I really like Meghan's white outfit and agree that there's a slightly vintage Audrey Hepburn vibe to the look.

You mean if one actually researchs you will see Meghan doesn’t do much different than other royal women from the past? Gee, I am shocked. ?

The most significant thing about HM outfits in the first three picture depicting her maternity style in 1948 is not that it was old fashioned or the height of fashion but that it was the same outfit, the sash was gone by the third picture. Princess Elizabeth, as she was then, was subject to the same rationing of fabric as the rest of the country during the severe austerity of the post war years. Light years away from today

Thank you for posting. It seems as if the Countess of Wessex wore similarly tight dresses as Meghan.

I heartily disagree. Her dresses were form fitting, not tight, a fashion world of difference

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Maybe not as closely form-fitting, but certainly not as far off as you are suggesting. I would not characterize everyone of Meghan's choices as overly tight in any case. The style aesthetic is noticeably similar. For all we know Sophie exchanged some pregnancy attire tips with Meghan. ?

And Hello magazine is suggesting that Queen Letizia's sartorial choices in Morocco recently might serve as style tips for Meghan: ;)
https://www.hellomagazine.com/fashi...a-gives-meghan-markle-style-tips-for-morocco/

The last sentence in the article is off-base, since Meghan's choices in jewelry and accessories are generally always delicate, subtle and elegant.

Last edited:
No definite ID on the purse yet, but it's thought to be YSL East/West shopper tote, this according to MeghansMirror.

Yes, I saw that on Meghan's Mirror but the one she's carrying doesn't match. The YSL isn't footed or two-toned. Thanks. I will continue to search.:flowers:

As much as I hated that the trip couldn't have remained private until after she was back in London, I absolutely love her look. I love that maternity swing coat with the cigarette/slim pants and stilettos.

I'm wondering if this silhouette would be a NO NO for her mini tour in Morocco? Only asking because she could re-use the bottoms/pants, but give us some interesting swing tops.

She takes the black abroad....

She's in New York. She'll fit in perfectly.

BTW, the coat was purchased from William Vintage. I'm so excited to see her in another piece from them. Hopefully we'll see a lot more vintage pieces from her.

Last edited:
She's in New York. She'll fit in perfectly.

Basically. The worst thing you an do right now in NYC is wear bright colours in winter. You'd stick out like a sore thumb, so she's fitting right in. HOWEVER, I pray to God that I don't see too much black this coming weekend in Morocco. She looks lovely in salmon and pinks and creams...Meghan, give me anything besides black in Morocco.

Basically. The worst thing you an do right now in NYC is wear bright colours in winter. You'd stick out like a sore thumb, so she's fitting right in.

That's the second worst. She could be wearing white or pastel. :lol: I'm always surprised to see how many New Yorkers follow that rule still.

I love that maternity swing coat look with the slim pants as well, and hope we will see another in the same silhouette but in brighter colours in Morocco. I'm really interested to see what colours Meghan wears there, and whether she will wear a caftan.

Back
Top Bottom