The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wondering. Has she worn any real maternity-clothing?

The H&M Dress was part of their maternity range. She's had a couple of custom pieces altered for her bump, so it depends how you count those.

Todays dress has a high waistline and can sit above the bump without falling awkwardly. It's a lovely light material as well if she is feeling warmer.

looove the look with the coat without it it's a mess
the dress itself is pretty enough but doesn't fitt her it's no maternity wear and at this stage of pregannancy i think she do needs some maternity pieces the oversize clothes are not always great idea... on the contrary.

At first I didn't like Meghan's dress though now it's grown on me. The prints are fun and give a bit of colour to the look.

I love this dress on her (if I ignore the way it bunches in a couple of places because it’s not maternity and she NEEDS maternity). The print, the style, it’s really great. One of my favorite things I’ve seen on her. I like the boots with the dress, too.

But the look with the coat on is...sad. It’s a dumpy coat, at least on someone in her stage of life. And the coat and boots really don’t look right together at all.

I love her hair like this. I much prefer the side part to her usual center part.

Apperantly when i’m bored i’m open to checking the Daily Mail, an article there claims the coat is a vintage/used find from William Vintage (for those who don’t know it is a premier vintage boutique in London).
I’m not 100% sold on this info because.. well DailyMail, but it is possible.

I love this dress on her (if I ignore the way it bunches in a couple of places because it’s not maternity and she NEEDS maternity). The print, the style, it’s really great. One of my favorite things I’ve seen on her. I like the boots with the dress, too.

But the look with the coat on is...sad. It’s a dumpy coat, at least on someone in her stage of life. And the coat and boots really don’t look right together at all.

I love her hair like this. I much prefer the side part to her usual center part.

the Meghan dress will make Toronto Blue Jay fans happy! Re the coat: when you are this pregnant, everything looks dumpy/frumpy:bang: Glad she could find something that fits:flowers:

Apperantly when i’m bored i’m open to checking the Daily Mail, an article there claims the coat is a vintage/used find from William Vintage (for those who don’t know it is a premier vintage boutique in London).
I’m not 100% sold on this info because.. well DailyMail, but it is possible.

The info came from KP. Multiple RRs tweeted about it the same time Oscar de la Renta.

Yes, I agree with your assessment. IMO The Duchess of Sussex is having a hard time learning to dress as a member of the British Royal Family. I'd think that her stylist Jessica, being married to the son of a former Canadian Prime Minister, would be able to make connections with experts on protocol--which includes wearing clothing appropriate to the occasion and the season. Meghan's clothing is distracting to her public appearances because it often has the appearance of not being well-fitted. I'd also like to see Meghan wear more British clothing, perhaps from a designer who's used to dressing women who make top-tier public appearances. :flowers:

Whilst Jessica may have been a good choice in Meghan's previous life, for many, Jessica too has quite a lot of learning to do if she is to advise Meghan in the future.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AIVZ1VHd...qCwftGmKvqYX4Q46vh84ewCLcBGAs/s1600/bris9.jpg
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wbAp0qhf...0NxwMV8CphKZdIVqnfdogCLcBGAs/s1600/ijan34.jpg

Meghan rarely wears prints, so this was a surprise. I think the colorful birds, deer, flowers, and other animals on the dress are quite delightful and it works. I didn't know what to expect when I saw what looked like a very similar dress to yesterday's peeking out beneath the coat. As others have mentioned, these lighterweight dresses the last couple of days may be helpful in keeping DoS Meghan from overheating.

I really like Meghan's hairstyle, the green boots, and her soft makeup. Charming and delightful H&M were determined to get to Bristol in spite of the snow. And they are color coordinated, and at ease with the crowds and their hosts as usual. (Meghan is also wearing Pippa Small diamond and gold earrings, but I didn't see a reference to the necklace yet).

The coat, boots and hairdo are very nice. The dress is a disaster, chiffon with suede boots? The fit is so poor it makes me wince, especially around the neckline. There must have been adjustments made to the dress, otherwise the hem in the front would be much higher than the back.

Yes, I agree with your assessment. IMO The Duchess of Sussex is having a hard time learning to dress as a member of the British Royal Family. I'd think that her stylist Jessica, being married to the son of a former Canadian Prime Minister, would be able to make connections with experts on protocol--which includes wearing clothing appropriate to the occasion and the season. Meghan's clothing is distracting to her public appearances because it often has the appearance of not being well-fitted. I'd also like to see Meghan wear more British clothing, perhaps from a designer who's used to dressing women who make top-tier public appearances. :flowers:

There is nothing inappropriate about what she is wearing. Or breaking protocal. Other than the this is a royal rule, and here are the 10,000 times last year royal women broke it, protocal that paps and detractors make up.

Just because she doesn't dress like a country squire's wife going to a garden party in the 1950's, doesn't mean she isn't appropriate. Kate's fashion is not the Law, it is her personal taste.

People saying 'in europe'.... Look at some of the continental royals like Letizia, Victoria, Charlene, Mary and so on. These ladies dress far more like Meghan then Kate. Modern lines, pants, not the 'strict season colors'. Meghan certainly fits in with many of the other royal ladies.

And unless you are going to point out every time any British royal wears a foreign label (all but Anne and the queen do), really need to stop complaining. Double standards. Its some how okay if the English born royal wears foreign designers, but not the American one. They should be held to the Same standards.

:previous: To those who think that today's or yesterday's dresses were not made or altered for Meghan, check the length front and back. In fact, I have yet to see her in a dress where the front has hitched up over Bump resulting in the inevitable higher hemline in front and lower in the back.

I loved the way the coat moved and the dress was delicious with it's Unicorn in the front . . . bet no other royal lady has worn one of those. But really, it is a dreary time of year and Meghan seems to be indulging in a little whimsy with her clothing choices and, inevitably there will be those that do not like it. I must admit to finding it enchanting.

I really like the way she is ringing the changes with her hairstyles as well and found the intricate chignon interesting, the topknot edgy and today's 1940's side part and glossy waves was a very elegant counterpoint to her chiffon print dress.

:previous: To those who think that today's or yesterday's dresses were not made or altered for Meghan, check the length front and back. In fact, I have yet to see her in a dress where the front has hitched up over Bump resulting in the inevitable higher hemline in front and lower in the back.

I loved the way the coat moved and the dress was delicious with it's Unicorn in the front . . . bet no other royal lady has worn one of those. But really, it is a dreary time of year and Meghan seems to be indulging in a little whimsy with her clothing choices and, inevitably there will be those that do not like it. I must admit to finding it enchanting.

I really like the way she is ringing the changes with her hairstyles as well and found the intricate chignon interesting, the topknot edgy and today's 1940's side part and glossy waves was a very elegant counterpoint to her chiffon print dress.

That’s exactly what I was thinking when I saw the accusation this wasn’t a maternity dress. You can clearly tell when someone wears a dress that isn’t a maternity dress. The belly pulls the front hem up. Didn’t see that on either of the last two dresses. I liked both.

I just to a good look at William Vintage’s site, they have some really nice clothes that wouldn’t look out of place now. I’m hoping she bought more than that coat. Perhaps some nice dresses..

https://williamvintage.com/dresses/haute-couture-black-dress-circa-3223

https://williamvintage.com/dresses/ivory-belted-dress-circa-1967ivory-belted-dress-circa-1967

https://williamvintage.com/dresses/stanley-korshak-black-wool-dress-with-bows-circa-1958

I wish I had the money to buy there.

Edit: Shoot they have the perfect Madame Gres evening dress. https://williamvintage.com/haute-couture-black-dress-autumn-winter-8342

Last edited:

I love this outfit. Very beautiful and elegant. Wonderful color.

Meghan all in black for the ACU Visit today:

*Full View* *Forward Facing* *Close Up of Hair*

Meghan is wearing the Givenchy Coat worn for the Cenotaph Service last year:

*November 2018*

A very beautiful look. A divine coat.

Meghan is wearing Black William Vintage Coat and an Oscar De La Renta dress today:
*Full Coat View*

This is the Oscar De La Renta dress Meghan is reportedly wearing.

*Close Up of Boots* - by Sarah Flint NYC Designer.

These are the boots Meghan is wearing.

Confirmed Meghan is wearing the bird print Oscar De La Renta Dress, first picture of Meghan without her coat:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyUaf3gWkAAAOE7.jpg:large

I love the coat but I find the dress and shoes awful.

IMO The Duchess of Sussex is having a hard time learning to dress as a member of the British Royal Family.

I hope she never learns that lesson! The Queen's dress sense was awful for decades, Princess Anne is no sartorial role model, Fergie had the elegance of a pantomime dame & the York sisters are famous for looking ridiculous.

She should just stay true to her own sense of what suits her, what she enjoys wearing & continue to develop her own style for the varied range of public occasions.

As watchers, we comment on our own preferences but unless she wears a transparent bikini at the Cenotaph, I hope she ignores the criticism.

I hope she never learns that lesson! The Queen's dress sense was awful for decades, Princess Anne is no sartorial role model, Fergie had the elegance of a pantomime dame & the York sisters are famous for looking ridiculous.

She should just stay true to her own sense of what suits her, what she enjoys wearing & continue to develop her own style for the varied range of public occasions.

As watchers, we comment on our own preferences but unless she wears a transparent bikini at the Cenotaph, I hope she ignores the criticism.

:lol: Ah exactly! You make excellent points. It was Diana PoW who was responsible for bringing the cliche but very apt 'breath of fresh air' fashion sense into the British royal family. Diana's graceful elegance and utterly lovely sense of style is still the touchstone to this day in terms of attention to detail and choice of designer and design awareness among the royal ladies. Sophie Countess of Wessex was always compared to Diana when she first appeared on the scene in terms of her blond good looks and style choices, which were definitely inspired by Diana's aesthetic at the time. Sophie has an understated grace and she often looks quite lovely, but she has also been hit-or-miss in some of her sartorial choices, unsurprisingly. No one is perfectly on-point all the time. And no one will ever please all of the people, all of the time.

You are definitely on target about the other royal ladies you mention. The Queen has looked wonderful for years because she relies on great designers, but it definitely was Diana's fashionable presence which years ago had the Queen upping and updating her style power and awareness. DoC Kate has a lovely and up-to-date fashion sense as well, but on occasion she has tended to be a bit overly prim and conservative. I think Kate has recently decided to take more chances, thus she's somewhat relaxing her conservative approach with bolder choices.

I will venture to say that everyone in the family from men to ladies are now also freshening their style awareness simply as a result of someone new and fashionable entering the family. And that someone, DoS Meghan, is very adept at being in the public eye as a Hollywood actor, which has brought renewed attention to the most enduring celebrities of all, the British royals.

But there's substance and depth behind Meghan's 'glamorous actor' profile. While Meghan has been exploring and trying to fit in with her new role sartorially (not always successfully), I think she has simply decided over the past few months to do her own thing without worrying overmuch about the OTT criticism, which will always be there regardless. Meghan is very much about dressing for her own body with laid-back ease. She also clearly loves experimenting, while maintaining an understated sophistication and an ethical consciousness re her choices.

I just to a good look at William Vintage’s site, they have some really nice clothes that wouldn’t look out of place now. I’m hoping she bought more than that coat. Perhaps some nice dresses..

https://williamvintage.com/dresses/haute-couture-black-dress-circa-3223

https://williamvintage.com/dresses/ivory-belted-dress-circa-1967ivory-belted-dress-circa-1967

https://williamvintage.com/dresses/stanley-korshak-black-wool-dress-with-bows-circa-1958

I wish I had the money to buy there.

Edit: Shoot they have the perfect Madame Gres evening dress. https://williamvintage.com/haute-couture-black-dress-autumn-winter-8342

All very beautifully made with exquisite fabrics and attention-to-detail. What a luxury to be able to indulge in such well-made attire. I doubt I would spend that amount of money even if I was able. I would be much more into adapting looks and making my own cost-effective pieces. ?

For Meghan though, as someone who loves fashion, it must be cool to have access to all the best designers and a working wardrobe budget that doesn't come exclusively out of her own 'albeit deep' pockets. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the coat is the best part of the outfit...I love it. I'd own one if I could. I really like the boots and clutch...and I like the style of dress she is wearing but not sure about the print.

LaRae

That’s exactly what I was thinking when I saw the accusation this wasn’t a maternity dress. You can clearly tell when someone wears a dress that isn’t a maternity dress. The belly pulls the front hem up. Didn’t see that on either of the last two dresses. I liked both.

The dress still does not properly fit. I saw another picture where it was obviously not tailored at all in the back as there was too much excess fabric. The hazard of wearing no maternity clothes while pregnant: they are either too tight or too big. One way or another it looks a mess.

We must have been looking st different pics of the Queen, she has had wonderful dress sense, even during her mid years. Always stylish but appropriate for her position and age.
No offense but other Hanna few mishaps in their youth the York sisters have more fashion sense than Meghan and are almost always able to wear the correct attire for the correct event. If anything Meghan would do well to take some tips from them.
The problem with Meghan is that her style is very What Hollywood thinks working royals wear when she’s on the clock, that does not fly well in the long run as a working member of the royal family. I’d say princess Margaret is a great example of that.

Since it is the British critics for whom she works for and represents, and whom tax money fund her now, I dare hope she won’t be so foolish as to ignore their comments. Ignoring the people’s comments and wishes is what always ended up toppling the aristocracy, royalty and oppressive regimes.

:lol: Ah exactly! You make excellent points. It was Diana PoW who was responsible for bringing the cliche but very apt 'breath of fresh air' fashion sense into the British royal family. Diana's graceful elegance and utterly lovely sense of style is still the touchstone to this day in terms of attention to detail and choice of designer and design awareness among the royal ladies. Sophie Countess of Wessex was always compared to Diana when she first appeared on the scene in terms of her blond good looks and style choices, which were definitely inspired by Diana's aesthetic at the time. Sophie has an understated grace and she often looks quite lovely, but she has also been hit-or-miss in some of her sartorial choices, unsurprisingly. No one is perfectly on-point all the time. And no one will ever please all of the people, all of the time.

You are definitely on target about the other royal ladies you mention. The Queen has looked wonderful for years because she relies on great designers, but it definitely was Diana's fashionable presence which years ago had the Queen upping and updating her style power and awareness. DoC Kate has a lovely and up-to-date fashion sense as well, but on occasion she has tended to be a bit overly prim and conservative. I think Kate has recently decided to take more chances, thus she's somewhat relaxing her conservative approach with bolder choices.

I will venture to say that everyone in the family from men to ladies are now also freshening their style awareness simply as a result of someone new and fashionable entering the family. And that someone, DoS Meghan, is very adept at being in the public eye as a Hollywood actor, which has brought renewed attention to the most enduring celebrities of all, the British royals.

But there's substance and depth behind Meghan's 'glamorous actor' profile. While Meghan has been exploring and trying to fit in with her new role sartorially (not always successfully), I think she has simply decided over the past few months to do her own thing without worrying overmuch about the OTT criticism, which will always be there regardless. Meghan is very much about dressing for her own body with laid-back ease. She also clearly loves experimenting, while maintaining an understated sophistication and an ethical consciousness re her choices.

there is so much wrong and “are you serious?!” in those bolded parts I don’t even know where to start... your entire post sounded like the ones who claim Meghan will modernize the monarchy, and being sweeping changes... I lol at such claims so hard.
The royals do not change their style or how they conduct their affairs because a new minor member has married into their family (and yes, Meghan is a mi or royal).

The queen and the general royal family are not celebrities (though some have tried and try to act like they are- those are usually the ones who find themselves out of the family, just ask Fergie and Diana)- seriously I think only an American would ever dare say such a ridiculous claim! The queen is the head of state, the working royals are therefore representatives of state in her majesty name. They live off tax payer money(all those who are working royals!!) they are where they are by the grace and invitation of parliament as elected representatives of the people.
Sorry, but no. Meghan did not bring renewed attention to the royal family. She may brought some new people but the overall percentage did not change. And whatever interest the media has is no different. The only difference is her being American means the US media feels like they now have a stake in the British royal family.

If Meghan dressed for her body type and she would be far better dressed- the best evidence has been her ill fitted wedding dress that has done her no favors and did not for her body type at all; the last dress while lovely and was a better choice than most of what she has worn in the last month was obviously not meant to be worn by a 6 months pregnant woman. You simply need to look at the back and sides.

Here is the fact, as the: Queen mother, Diana, Sarah, Philip, Camilla, Catherine, Tim, Princess Margaret husband and Sophie will tell you: you either conform to the royal family ways (and to a degree this includes what you wear on royal engagements) or you don’t. those who don’t rarely last long.
That is why unlike Diana and Fergie Sophie has endured, she conformed.

Last edited:
Just because she doesn't dress like a country squire's wife going to a garden party in the 1950's, doesn't mean she isn't appropriate. Kate's fashion is not the Law, it is her personal taste.

People saying 'in europe'.... Look at some of the continental royals like Letizia, Victoria, Charlene, Mary and so on. These ladies dress far more like Meghan then Kate. Modern lines, pants, not the 'strict season colors'. Meghan certainly fits in with many of the other royal ladies

The person you responded to doesn’t even mention Kate but as usual you’re first instinct is to go there, that and the ‘1950s’ which you seem obsessed with.

Why not follow you’re own advice that you often give to others and keep threads about Meghan, about Meghan.

Last edited:

This is not the place to get into a lengthy debate about Diana's fashion sense (which believe me, was not universally admired at the time, and which involved many, many ridiculous outfits in the awful '80's) but the idea that Diana was responsible for shaping up the Queen's fashion is absurd, I'll push back hard on that.

As for Meghan causing the royal family to freshen up their style awareness, I have seen absolutely no evidence of that at all. The BRF are doing as they usually do, and much as I assume they may like Meghan on a personal level, I think they would have done just fine without her.

We are all influenced in some way sartorially regardless of whether or not we are royal. ;) But yes, everyone has their opinions and their perceptions. And we all speculate about what it's like to be DoS Meghan and walk in her heels. :D

Meanwhile, this had me laughing:
https://www.vogue.com/article/megha...ter&utm_campaign=runway&utm_social-type=owned

They are definitely BFFs, and both rock this look. :lol:

I admit, the minute I saw Serena's Instagram story—after seeing pictures of Meghan—my first thought was, "They did their hair the same!!" :lol:

We are all influenced in some way sartorially regardless of whether or not we are royal. But yes, everyone has their opinions and their perceptions. And we all speculate about what it's like to be DoS Meghan and walk in her heels.

Meanwhile, this had me laughing:
https://www.vogue.com/article/meghan...ial-type=owned

They are definitely BFFs, and both rock this look.

Twinsy moment :lol:

Though reminds me a bit of when either of Diana's DIL's are said to copy her. And the outfit or look is not remotely similar. Oh they copied Diana by wearing red. Or by wearing a hat.?

Must say if a twinsy moment.....who wore it best I would say Meghan. ?

:previous: Tee Hee

I think Serena went for uber height and drama, as she usually does. She's the Fierce Recordbreaking Diva of Tennis after all. ;)

The height of Serena's topknot reminds me of the fascinator she wore to Meghan's royal wedding. ?

Bespoke handbags indeed! This must be the era of the smallest most expensive bags ever. The current fashion for clutch bags must make them the most expensive fashion accessory around, (not counting jewellery). Just big enough to fit a hankie and a lipstick, maybe a tiny phone, they are little jewel boxes. But...... who needs a NEW one with almost every outfit?
Are any of the keen Royal watchers on this Forum keeping tabs on how many $$$$ clutches Meghan has used so far? I’d be interested to know, and also interested to know what the $$ investment is.

Bespoke handbags indeed! This must be the era of the smallest most expensive bags ever. The current fashion for clutch bags must make them the most expensive fashion accessory around, (not counting jewellery). Just big enough to fit a hankie and a lipstick, maybe a tiny phone, they are little jewel boxes. But...... who needs a NEW one with almost every outfit?
Are any of the keen Royal watchers on this Forum keeping tabs on how many $$$$ clutches Meghan has used so far? I’d be interested to know, and also interested to know what the $$ investment is.

Since the Daily Mail counts everything as new each time it is worn or used, their figures are unreliable.

Also Meghan cannot possibly fit into any clothing she wore prior the last couple months, if that-so as long as she’s doing engagements she needs new clothes.

The only bag the Mail said was bespoke was the olive Ralph Lauren clutch, which was previously used at Louis’s christening. It may or may not actually be “bespoke.”

Not everyone feels the need to carry a small suitcase as a handbag. The size of mine vary from small enough for just reading glasses, phone & very small wallet to a medium satchel depending upon not what I’m doing.

I am sure Meghan will continue to rewear or reuse clothing and accessories as appropriate over the coming years.

Last edited:
Bespoke handbags, designer dresses and double Givenchy: how Meghan's VERY busy week saw her don £14,000 of couture for just three engagements
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...es-did-Meghans-wardrobe-REALLY-cost-week.html

Some people just want to hate on Meghan for something. Never mind the fact that both of her clutches, one of the shoes, and the custom Givenchy coat are reuses.

But...... who needs a NEW one with almost every outfit?

What are you talking about? Because neither of them are new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom