The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a fans of the coat. Love the bag and the shoes. I think it's a normal height, common seen from many royal pregnant ladies.

Not a fans of the coat. Love the bag and the shoes. I think it's a normal height, common seen from many royal pregnant ladies.

It’s actually lower than what I’ve seen from some during pregnancy, including Meghan herself. As someone who has worn heels for almost twenty years, she looks like she’s walking just fine to me.

The shoes are great. The dress is black and a little on the tight side. Not much else to say.

The dress is tight. When I say her heels are too high, maybe that’s just the way she walks. She keeps her knees straight which kind of looks weird to me but maybe that’s just her.

She walks normal. I really not seeing anything odd.

I don't like such clingy maternity wear.
The plain black dress needs a scarf or necklace.

In parts of London it’s known as a Croydon face lift. It’s a look popularised by reality stars.

I think a tight bun has been a fairly normal hairstyle for women in the professional world for decades/pre-dates reality tv...my hair is styled as such now. And its a mainstay of many of my colleagues in my London office. ? My mother was very fond of wrestling my hair into a tight bun or ponytail, much to my chagrin, as a child! Meghan's doesn't look that tight to me anyway.

Meghan looks great. Nice to see her in repeats. I like her shoes. They add a dash of fun to the outfit. :flowers:

Last edited:
Indeed they do! I love those shoes and wouldn't mind a pair myself. As for Meghan's hair I see plenty of young women with that style. It looks neat and very becoming.

Indeed they do! I love those shoes and wouldn't mind a pair myself. As for Meghan's hair I see plenty of young women with that style. It looks neat and very becoming.

What a change from the controversial messy bun of last January ?

Would love to see her do more half up, half down looks though. They frame her face so well.

What a change from the controversial messy bun of last January ?

Would love to see her do more half up, half down looks though. They frame her face so well.

I really liked her hair in Australia when she wore the Roksanda dress.

Lovely coat, happy to see it again :flowers:

The dress is plain but professional. Bit tight though.

Love the shoes, adds a pop of interest, ?

She looks like a professional young woman going to work. Not a fashion queen all done up. Which is what she is.

This woman is the queen of statement shoes. I love them every time! The dress looks like a standard issue working maternity issue, I miss some color, but it's a professional look and given where she was visiting today, a good pick. The coat has never been a favorite of mine. I know she seems to favor the trench style, but I don't really think it does much for her.

She's carrying rather high, in my opinion, and I much more understand the constant cradling of the bump.

Love, love, love the earrings!

This look today from the DoS was very blah...in that it was work appropriate. Black dress, tan coat...typical work attire. Looking around me today, 3/4 of women are wearing something very similar if not identical with the exception of the maternity dress. Nothing special apart from those shoes and that handbag (which I want in my closet now).

As always, I love her shoes. It adds interest to the look. I don't care much about trench coats or dresses, but she looks nice and neat.

OK. New resolution for 2019. Accept that I will be consistently disappointed as Meghan is determined to remain dressed in black, tan and navy!

Shoes and earrings are SLAYING! Love the neat, professional hairstyle. She looked like a working woman which was appropriate as she was helping potential working women.

She looks fine. Maybe a little tired, but on the whole, a perfectly acceptable pregnant lady look.

If I may make one more point here. Re Meghans clothes before pregnancy.

Meghan is Not wearing ripped jeans as her every day wear any longer.
Her life now consists of many meetings where there are no cameras. So what is a new outfit for us to see is possibly something she has worn many times as her everyday wear on official palace business.
And of course as others have pointed out, the Duchess is Building up a Working Wardrobe. These items will be worn again and again. We just won't see it.

Great points. And it's borne out by information on the Meghan fashion blogs, where it's stated that the coat is not new, and neither are the shoes. For all we know, the handbag isn't new either. As someone already noted, the dress was worn previously at the ACU meeting where we saw the photo of Meghan sitting, but we could not tell then whether it was a dress or a two-piece.

Behind-the-scenes at home during down time, I can imagine Meghan wearing comfortable ripped jeans adjusted at the waist, and one of Harry's old shirts. ;) She also might wear more color in her casual at-home clothes that we don't get to see, and mostly never will.

... I actually thought it was the dress she wore to the Memorial with Harry (the one where we only got grainy photos of them leaving.) Is the coat a repeat?

I love today's look. As always, her accessory game (shoes, bags, earrings) is top notch

I think the dress DoS Meghan wore to the memorial service in December was dark navy blue, rather than black.

I still think her heels are too high. She walks without bending her legs. Anyway just another drab outfit in keeping with Meghan’s drab style.

I think DoS Meghan walks fine. She seems to have mastered walking in heels, and she always has graceful, upright posture. Plus, Meghan walks with confidence.

I am a bit concerned about the heels though because some close-ups on her shoes that I've seen appear to show prominent veins in her feet with a bluish tone around the sides of her feet:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MkGkte0D...zJxCwCLcBGAs/s1600/meghan+cow+print+shoes.jpg

However, Meghan probably only wears heels in public and flats at home. Plus, she must realize precautions to take. Perhaps the apparent pressure on her feet (prominent veins and bluish cast) could be connected to her pregnancy. Wearing high heels requires precaution and diligent care for one's feet. It's better to wear heels that are constructed in a way that provide adequate support for the back of the foot. That's why wedges and platforms are good because of the support they provide.

There are some instructive videos on Youtube, including how to walk in heels, best manufactured high heels for flat feet, and exercises for flat feet. Not that we know whether or not Meghan has flat feet, but natural arches make it easier to wear high heels. Still wearing high heels without taking precautions and walking properly in them can cause back, knee, calf, and hip pain.

... She looks like a professional young woman going to work. Not a fashion queen all done up. Which is what she is.

ITA. It strikes me that DoS Meghan is not into being a fashion plate. She surely loves clothes and she clearly understands a lot about fashion and about what enhances her body. But she seems more interested in wearing clothes that look good and that she feels comfortable in rather than trying to be a fashion plate or overly glamorous. She's already gorgeous and confident, so on a day-to-day basis she's not trying to be glamorous. What she seems more interested in is looking good and feeling comfortable while she works. Apparently, she enjoys working, and she seems to find helping others very fulfilling.

This woman is the queen of statement shoes...

She's carrying rather high, in my opinion, and I much more understand the constant cradling of the bump. Love, love, love the earrings!

I too love the earrings, and I wonder how they are fitting -- how the clasp is made. Quite lovely and different. Also, I totally agree about the shoes. Meghan has a knack with accessories. She seems to love coats and this style looks good on her, especially with her being pregnant. The back of the coat was noticeably wrinkled due to a bit of crumpling while she was sitting in the car I suppose.

Agree re the shoes too. The Meghan blogs note that pre-Harry, Meghan posted pictures of her shoe closet on her Instagram. In one of the old pics, the shoes Meghan wore today can be seen (bottom row, left).
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JOLlwCta...0WV5JM15D-iAPkvK-4-8dgCLcBGAs/s1600/mcvdd.jpg

Meghan was also seen wearing the same shoes during a 2015 fashion shoot for Australia's online Gritty Pretty fashion magazine:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aqKM8wRr...wOWcFhh3Uw68W0mLFkPMfxwCLcBGAs/s1600/pxt1.jpg

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree re the shoes too. The Meghan blogs note that pre-Harry, Meghan posted pictures of her shoe closet on her Instagram. In one of the old pics, the shoes Meghan wore today can be seen (bottom row, left).
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JOLlwCta...0WV5JM15D-iAPkvK-4-8dgCLcBGAs/s1600/mcvdd.jpg

Meghan was also seen wearing the same shoes during a 2015 fashion shoot for Australia's online Gritty Pretty fashion magazine:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aqKM8wRr...wOWcFhh3Uw68W0mLFkPMfxwCLcBGAs/s1600/pxt1.jpg
Do many of you also have that many shoes (I count 39 pairs - I assume this is only a selection of the pairs that Meghan had prior to becoming a royal highness)?

Last edited:

Completely agree. I honestly think half up, half down styles are the best hairstyles we've seen from her. They just work beautifully with the shape of her face and appear both professional and a bit softer than the severe, tightly pulled back look of today. As for today's outfit, it's just...blah. The coat and dress are both boring. The dress is fine, a bit tight but a better fit than a lot of what we've seen her in. I think a long necklace, a scarf, or a blazer or sweater with a touch of color (or maybe even just white?) would have helped tremendously. And I really, really hate the shoes. The earrings are fine and would have really looked lovely with that half up, half down hairstyle we were just commenting on but those shoes....yikes.

Do many of you also have that many shoes (I count 39 pairs - I assume this is only a selection of the pairs that Meghan had prior to becoming a royal highness)?

Depends on the person, I would say it's not unusual. :lol: While I don't have as many, I have about 20+ pairs. I have friends who have made an entire wall closets just for shoes too.

I thought the shoes today were fierce!

I do. I expect any woman in her mid 30's, which I am, and so was Meghan at the posting of that Instagram to have a sizeable shoe wardrobe, especially if you buy quality shoes (usually leather that's made well). If you begin at 20, then by 35, you have built up quite a collection. I remember my first 2 pairs of over $100 shoes, and that was for my 21st birthday. I still have those pairs along with many others accumulated over the years and I'm 35. From doing a mental count, I have maybe 40 pairs, not counting 1 pair of gym shoes, 1 pair hiking boots, 1 pair rain boots and 1 pair snow boots.

Also, just to clarify, this resonates more for us in urban areas such as NYC, Toronto, LA, DC, and London. Even in tiny London and Berlin flats, some of my friends were just as much shoe hogs as myself.

:previous: Hmmm, right now I have a fair number of shoes, but not high heels. I certainly do not have 39 pair, and could never afford nor desire that many. I'm looking into the fashionable yet well-made shoes with heels that podiatrists recommend. Lots of good information here: https://www.health.com/style/comfortable-high-heels

DoS Meghan definitely has more shoes than those shown in the old Instagram pic. She wears flats by Sarah Flint. But we haven't recently seen her in flats, aside from at polo this summer, at the Invictus Games in September 2017, and in her previous life in pictures posted on her Instagram. Meghan probably wears flats most of the time at home. But alas, she will never post pics of herself at home with her dogs, ever again:
https://www.usmagazine.com/shop-with-us/pictures/meghan-markle-sarah-flint-flats/point-toe-flats/

Here's one of Meghan's final Instagram posts wearing Charlotte Olympia Kitty flats:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/02/13/01/3D251DA900000578-0-image-m-3_1486950235983.jpg

https://www.charlotteolympia.com/en...MIiJ3j64_k3wIVE43ICh1vgQOgEAAYASAAEgImQvD_BwE

Whoa! The kitty flats are retailing now for $520... Meow! ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom