The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meghan looked better yesterday than I ever did during my pregnancy! I have only one criticism: if one is carrying gloves rather than wearing them, they should be carried with the fingers pointed inward toward the person carrying them, not pointed outward at others.

I really disagree with the Meghan choosing muted colours to blend in and basically hide. She likes fashion and we’ve seen from some of her pre and post wedding choices that she takes risk and she likes to stand out. That’s quite clear to me in her personality and the way she comes across, and there is nothing wrong with that. Stand out but do it for the right reasons. Don’t wear short skirts for the sake of it, but wear a bright colour on a dark winters day so the people can SEE you! There is no reason if Meghan wanted to wear a bit of a different outfit or a colour today she couldn’t have, if anything the only person who stood out for me today was Autumn because she wore a vivid green. Even the queen with her freckled pink looked subdued.

She can be so out there sometimes, and then others just so boring. I vehemently agree with assessment that she just doesn’t understand how to dress for occasions.

I agree 100%. I understand that Meghan likes darker, more muted colors and really isn't a prints lover and that's entirely fine. But, we've already seen her look lovely in dark green, gray, and black/white combos. Any one of those would have been a beautiful choice for the Christmas walk. Nothing flashy, nothing printed, still in her favorite muted shades but not so drab and somber and meh. I absolutely hated the bag and the boots didn't work with the outfit, though they would be lovely with some slim-fit pants and a nice blouse for a relatively casual engagement. The very dark colors just didn't work and the open coat looked sloppy. Granted, I really hated last year's look and this year's look isn't really any better but it is different in a good way.

As for choosing these super dark and drab outfits constantly as a way to blend in....I actually think it's exactly the opposite. If she were trying to blend in with the environment and the rest of the family, a dark green or that beautiful gray coat we saw earlier with the wide-brimmed hat would have been great choices. As it is, by making herself a topic of conversation in always wearing dark and drab even when others are in various shades of color, she attracts attention (and not in a positive way) to herself. There are ways to walk that middle ground and sticking with shades like dark green, gray, or even white/black would have done that beautifully...still fitting in with everyone and the environment without calling attention to herself if that's really what she was trying to accomplish. As it is, she again stuck with the dark, drab, couldn't possibly be anything but navy or black and is again seeing negative comments regarding how somber and funereal it looked against the reds, greens, and lighter blues of the rest of the family.

I agree 100%. I understand that Meghan likes darker, more muted colors and really isn't a prints lover and that's entirely fine. But, we've already seen her look lovely in dark green, gray, and black/white combos. Any one of those would have been a beautiful choice for the Christmas walk. Nothing flashy, nothing printed, still in her favorite muted shades but not so drab and somber and meh. I absolutely hated the bag and the boots didn't work with the outfit, though they would be lovely with some slim-fit pants and a nice blouse for a relatively casual engagement. The very dark colors just didn't work and the open coat looked sloppy. Granted, I really hated last year's look and this year's look isn't really any better but it is different in a good way.

As for choosing these super dark and drab outfits constantly as a way to blend in....I actually think it's exactly the opposite. If she were trying to blend in with the environment and the rest of the family, a dark green or that beautiful gray coat we saw earlier with the wide-brimmed hat would have been great choices. As it is, by making herself a topic of conversation in always wearing dark and drab even when others are in various shades of color, she attracts attention (and not in a positive way) to herself. There are ways to walk that middle ground and sticking with shades like dark green, gray, or even white/black would have done that beautifully...still fitting in with everyone and the environment without calling attention to herself if that's really what she was trying to accomplish. As it is, she again stuck with the dark, drab, couldn't possibly be anything but navy or black and is again seeing negative comments regarding how somber and funereal it looked against the reds, greens, and lighter blues of the rest of the family.

I like the black/white idea. I would love to see her next year in a black and white outfit with some red accessories. That would look great! But, I think she looked good yesterday.

Other family members were in dark colors too. Honestly only place I see overly negative comments on her outfit is here which is fine and I respect. It’s just not as dominate as some make it seem. Meghan rocking a pink coat will likely be a rare occurrence and that’s fine by me. I don’t need Meghan being anyone other than herself.

Other family members were in dark colors too. Honestly only place I see overly negative comments on her outfit is here which is fine and I respect. It’s just not as dominate as some make it seem. Meghan rocking a pink coat will likely be a rare occurrence and that’s fine by me. I don’t need Meghan being anyone other than herself.

As for choosing these super dark and drab outfits constantly as a way to blend in....I actually think it's exactly the opposite.

Meghan in a pink coat would attract far, far more attention than Meghan in another navy blue outfit.?

Last edited:
Whilst Meghan looked nice; I thought that it felt like she was dressed more for a funeral rather than Christmas Day. I would've liked to have seen her in some more festive colours even though darker colours seem to be her palette of choice.

I think she wore boots instead of stockings and shoes. She seems to have found that unlike the cold of Canada, the UK can be miserably cold and she is out in the cold a lot more than ever before. For all we know she could be wearing football socks in those boots! However, judging by the open coat she seems to 'running hot' with this pregnancy so she is just as likely to have bare legs.

As to her colour blocking, she would look good walking beside Sarah Chatto, whose approach to fashion is not unlike Meghan's own, only she doesn't seem to be a fascinator fan. Now wouldn't we all love that.

A nice red scarf would have given a lift to the dark navy look. It would have been a pop of colour she needed for an overall better appearance.
JMO.

This constant harping on color is ridiculous. You wear the colors or lack thereof you like. The queen wears bright colors to be seen. Her outfit on Christmas was by your standard to spring like.

A nice red scarf would have given a lift to the dark navy look. It would have been a pop of colour she needed for an overall better appearance.
JMO.

While I loved the Duchess' look, she also looks brilliant in red and a red scarf would have indeed been a lovely touch!

Absolutely nothing wrong with the way Catherine dresses for she has learned to dress according to the role she is in now for life. Yet I am sure in her private life she dresses much different and more simpler then always on call when she is out and about. She made her mistakes and learned from them so now her choices reflex her position and role as does HM dresses for her role and position in life. Meghan will learn as time goes by, this look today was dark and dreary, yes other ladies wore blue in shades of pale or medium, yet how to tell the difference between black and navy when wearing them together is beyond me, you need a balance there and I think Meghan misses that at times. And we all can't agree on everything here either for we are all different people with different opinions. ?

That is the issue. Kate is being held up as the This is what a duchess is meant to dress like. And it's true, she looks like all the other royal women. Problem is they are all over a decade older then she is. She dresses much older then her age. If you look at the Royal women on the continent, this is not how a proper Royal dresses. There is no uniform. You can be modern and fresh but appropriate.

If you are waiting for Meghan to dress like Kate, you will be waiting a few decades. Meghan has her own style and fashion. She won't dress like a middle aged to senior woman until she is one.

Lovely navy look. Shows don't have to dress like a tree to look festive. :flowers:

Victoria Beckham suits her. Be nice to see her in some separate eventually.

The open coat is not messy. Again it's the concept of outer wear vs the coat being the actual outfit.

Last edited:
For Meghan and other pregnant ladies, dark colors ‘hide’ the baby bump, make the ‘moms’ looked slender, draw less attention to their growing bump, and give some moms confidence that their bodies do not stand out too much. Also, the coat being left open also helps hide the baby bump....we don’t notice it as the coat opening and belt draw attention away from the baby bump. Tricks for hiding the baby bump when one is out in public. Meghan IMOO is doing a great job with her clothes especially for being a new royal. Some ladies who have been royal from birth or a long time still have problem with thei wardrobe.

As a Man what bothers me MOST is that a 'feminist' is apparently ok with having such extravagance bankrolled by her Father-in law, who also picks up a not inconsiderable clothing tab for his other Daughter-in-law AND [justifiably] his wife...

Which looks less than feminist to me..

Last edited:
And how do any of us (or the media) know that Meghan hasn't paid for many of these outfits, accessories etc with her own money? The tabloids (especially the DM) aren't omnipotent. They don't know what arrangements are in place to pay for Meghan's clothing.

... I don’t feel Meghan is doing anything any differently than anyone else, in short.

I disagree with you there. Everyone has a different body shape, different preferences, and different aesthetics. Yes, there is a sort of royal sartorial guideline, but within that there's a lot of leeway, plus access to all the best designers. Everyone will have hits and misses, but to be honest, both Kate and Meghan have a quite cool fashion sense.

Sometimes Kate dresses a bit conservatively, but smartly. I think the royal ladies are generally conscious of their roles, and they do pay a lot of attention to putting a wardrobe together, and they have variant styling influences. Also, there is coordination that goes on regarding colors when the family appears as a group. Other than that, everyone is free to make their own choices.

Meghan is still working on melding who she is with her new role in her selections. And I think she has been very much more-so conscious of fitting in and being understated rather than wearing clothes that stand out in an overly fashion-conscious or preening way. Everyone surely doesn't want to put a foot wrong but also wish to look good and sometimes make a statement. But that doesn't mean they all approach putting a wardrobe together in the same way. Meghan is very different by virtue of being a California girl, successful actor/entrepreneur, formerly married and of mixed ethnic heritage. We haven't seen anyone quite like her before in the British royal family. let's be honest.

So we shall see how things pan out in 2019 for Meghan's aesthetic!

Last edited:
As a Man what bothers me MOST is that a 'feminist' is apparently ok with having such extravagance bankrolled by her Father-in law, who also picks up a not inconsiderable clothing tab for his other Daughter-in-law AND [justifiably] his wife...

And how do any of us (or the media) know that Meghan hasn't paid for many of these outfits, accessories etc with her own money? The tabloids (especially the DM) aren't omnipotent. They don't know what arrangements are in place to pay for Meghan's clothing.

Whilst I agree that "The tabloids (especially the DM) aren't omnipotent. They don't know what arrangements are in place to pay for Meghan's clothing", I would be very surprised if the costs of the working wardrobe of the Duchess of Sussex were met by anybody other than the PoW directly or the Duke of Sussex. The Prince of Wales funds the household and lifestyle of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and as part of that, would fund the clothing as well.

I disagree with you there. Everyone has a different body shape, different preferences, and different aesthetics. Yes, there is a sort of royal sartorial guideline, but within that there's a lot of leeway, plus access to all the best designers. Everyone will have hits and misses, but to be honest, both Kate and Meghan have a quite cool fashion sense.

Sometimes Kate dresses a bit conservatively, but smartly. I think the royal ladies are generally conscious of their roles, and they do pay a lot of attention to putting a wardrobe together, and they have variant styling influences. Also, there is coordination that goes on regarding colors when the family appears as a group. Other than that, everyone is free to make their own choices.

Meghan is still working on melding who she is with her new role in her selections. And I think she has been very much more-so conscious of fitting in and being understated rather than wearing clothes that stand out in an overly fashion-conscious or preening way. Everyone surely doesn't want to put a foot wrong but also wish to look good and sometimes make a statement. But that doesn't mean they all approach putting a wardrobe together in the same way. Meghan is very different by virtue of being a California girl, successful actor/entrepreneur, formerly married and of mixed ethnic heritage. We haven't seen anyone quite like her before in the British royal family. let's be honest.

So we shall see how things pan out in 2019 for Meghan's aesthetic!

Meghan’s background is certainly different. No doubt there. And she has and will have her own way of handling things. Like anyone else.

We’ll have to disagree on her clothing though. I think Meghan’s frequently more muted outfits are Meghan being Meghan more than anything. It’s what she likes. In her own pre royal words. Sure- she’s blending her tastes to what’s appropriate for her role, but so has everyone else imo.

Both she and Catherine do a nice job of being both themselves and appropriate.

I don't understand. Prince Charles pays an allowance to William and Harry to run their respective households, which includes clothing.
I don't see what that has to do with feminism. That's the way the things are done with the BRF.

As a feminist, I'm not seeing the problem here as she does a job to represent the monarchy. If she and her husband aren't working royals, they'd be expect to make their own way and her clothes will be expected to be paid by her and her husband's income.

And of course, DM doesn't point out that half of that covers her wedding bracelet and earrings that are gifted from Charles. If we just take out the Reflection pieces, the numbers drastically change. And of course they only count first debuts, which means if other ladies rewear jewelry from prior years, it's not counted whereas Meghan is building up a working wardrobe and jewelry set.

Last edited:

How is it not "feminist" to have your working wardrobe be an expense paid for by the firm for which you are working? It is a business expense, like any other business expense.
From what I have read, this is the clothing Charles pays for, the "work" clothing. Harry & Meghan pay for her regular wardrobe.

Last edited:
In all fairness, this is the first year that Meghan's wardrobe has been on this list as this is her first year as an official royal. That means that she's building up her working wardrobe, jewelry, outerwear, etc. and her costs are bound to be higher this year than those of other royals who have been in their positions for several years. The only way this really becomes a problem is if she continuously tops the list year after year after year, even after she's long been settled as a part of the royal family.

I will fully and freely admit that I'm not Meghan's biggest fan but let's be real and honest here. I'm pretty sure that Catherine topped the list her first year as did several of the others included. No sense in making drama where there is none and there's a perfectly valid reason for her high expenditures this year.

I don't understand. Prince Charles pays an allowance to William and Harry to run their respective households, which includes clothing.
I don't see what that has to do with feminism. That's the way the things are done with the BRF.

It’s got absolutely nothing to do with feminism.

Meghan came to the royal family with her own vast wardrobe and anything new is paid by her father-in-law or Harry. Nobody have to be concerned about cost.

How is it not "feminist" to have your working wardrobe be an expense paid for by the firm for which you are working? It is a business expense, like any other business expense.
From what I have read, this is the clothing Charles pays for, the "work" clothing. Harry & Meghan pay for her regular wardrobe.

Well said!

In all fairness, this is the first year that Meghan's wardrobe has been on this list as this is her first year as an official royal. That means that she's building up her working wardrobe, jewelry, outerwear, etc. and her costs are bound to be higher this year than those of other royals who have been in their positions for several years. The only way this really becomes a problem is if she continuously tops the list year after year after year, even after she's long been settled as a part of the royal family.

I will fully and freely admit that I'm not Meghan's biggest fan but let's be real and honest here. I'm pretty sure that Catherine topped the list her first year as did several of the others included. No sense in making drama where there is none and there's a perfectly valid reason for her high expenditures this year.

The thing about this list, and UFO No More is very open about it while DM doesn't mention anything about it, is that the truly bespoken, and often most expensive, pieces aren't included as they don't have anything to go by. So a bespoken gown that is at least 10k wouldn't be part of the number and be considered $0 while other designer clothing that are not bespoken and are in reality cheaper are counted. This gets worse with jewelry.

Last edited:
The UFO No More figure also includes the Cartier Reflection Wedding Bracelet & Earrings (227,962 Euros) and the Stella McCartney gown Meghan wore to the evening reception.

The website also notes that in terms of average price-per-piece, Meghan came in second (1,882 Euros), between Princess Charlene of Monaco (2,557) and Sophie Countess of Wessex (1,445).

So the fact that she is a new royal who needed to build up a suitable wardrobe definitely played a part.

Event's Blog — UFO No More

Back
Top Bottom