The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Yes indeed, I'm glad they are both unique and original. ?

Again, lots of the family are wearing navy today (including Zara) so perhaps they are catching Meghan's navy fetish. ;) :lol: Or, perhaps they are playing an insider joke on us. ?

Last edited:
While I might've liked the individual pieces, putting them together did not work at all.

The open coat doesn't look good at all, it's making her look wider and messy. The combo of that dress with those shoes looks weird and not in a good way - if she wanted to go for this kind of shoes, she should've chosen a model that is a tighter fit and it would be fine.

I do love the bag - it's interesting - and the hat. But the whole outfit looks dark and sad.

It's all fine. I wouldn't get too excited. She's pregnant, she loves navy. It's Christmas.

I don't think the negative commentary is because of the blue that Meghan is wearing. Camilla and Catherine both wear a lot of blue, its the clothes that are attracting the comments.

................because the very fact of Meghan being part of the royal family makes them seem accessible, but they are not. ;)

And where did you get that notion from? Meghan is as elite as they get: privately educated, Ivy league university, successful actress, mixing with the Hollywood crew, how is she in any way accessible?

While I might've liked the individual pieces, putting them together did not work at all.

The open coat doesn't look good at all, it's making her look wider and messy. The combo of that dress with those shoes looks weird and not in a good way - if she wanted to go for this kind of shoes, she should've chosen a model that is a tighter fit and it would be fine.

I do love the bag - it's interesting - and the hat. But the whole outfit looks dark and sad.

I have to agree with you, its not the colour, its the fabrics, the fit, the styling....

Again, lots of the family are wearing navy today (including Zara) so perhaps they are catching Meghan's navy fetish. ;) :lol: Or, perhaps they are playing an insider joke on us. ?

Indeed the ladies of the BRF need to be grateful to the Meghan for introducing them to navy blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m quite grateful Meghan dresses nothing like Kate. One is enough. :D

Absolutely nothing wrong with the way Catherine dresses for she has learned to dress according to the role she is in now for life. Yet I am sure in her private life she dresses much different and more simpler then always on call when she is out and about. She made her mistakes and learned from them so now her choices reflex her position and role as does HM dresses for her role and position in life. Meghan will learn as time goes by, this look today was dark and dreary, yes other ladies wore blue in shades of pale or medium, yet how to tell the difference between black and navy when wearing them together is beyond me, you need a balance there and I think Meghan misses that at times. And we all can't agree on everything here either for we are all different people with different opinions. ?

I didn’t say anything was wrong with how Kate dressed. I said I’m glad Meghan dressses nothing like her. Also Nothing wrong with the way Meghan dresses either. Take it how you will.

Open coat is messy now? Perhaps royal fashion has just seen too many coat dresses. And not every coat is intended to be form fitting or narrow.

And the open coat apparently makes a pregnant woman look wider too.:ermm:

Last edited:
I have to agree with you, its not the colour, its the fabrics, the fit, the styling....
It just looks like an outfit that was put together in the last 15 minutes before leaving for the church. The items are fine on their own, just don't work good together.

I also lost all hope on the grounds of tailoring, I don't know why DOS doesn't do it, but that's her choice, I guess.

:previous: I can understand not liking Meghan's choices and finding issue with the styling, fabric, and tailoring, but I don't see anything that wildly wrong with what she's wearing today to excessively nitpick. It really is not that big a deal.

... And where did you get that notion from? Meghan is as elite as they get: privately educated, Ivy league university, successful actress, mixing with the Hollywood crew, how is she in any way accessible?

What notion? I'm not sure of your meaning. Meghan was not born with a silver spoon in her mouth. A lot of people are privately educated, wealthy, and go to Ivy league colleges or top-notch difficult to get into universities. I attended an Ivy league school, which isn't any guarantee of success or happiness, or enough wealth or taste to have a rocking wardrobe fit for a Duchess. Any further OT I'll take to an appropriate thread.

Meghan appears to be experimenting sartorially and finding her way, and surely having a lot of fun, as I said earlier, in the process. None of us are going to like everything she wears, but today I'm chill. I see a theme in that quite a few royals are wearing dark shades of blue, or dark red (Kate & Eugenie), dark green in a few shades, Lady Louise is in a pop of pink, and there are some brighter blues, but the theme seems coordinated to be very autumnal with colors in dark shades, while the Queen is in white (she wore red last year).

Last edited:
:previous: Oh yes, thanks. I forgot. It was the Duchess of Cornwall who wore deep red last year, but I didn't like that color on Camilla -- she usually stays away from colors like that which really do not flatter her skin tone. The Queen looked marvelous last year and this year -- she usually does.

And the open coat apparently makes a pregnant woman look wider too.

Meghan actually doesn't look wider to me. The long length of what she's wearing gives off a slimmed down feel. I almost forgot she's pregnant when I first glimpsed the outfit. :lol:

Last edited:
Meghan actually doesn't look wider to me. The long length of what she's wearing gives off a slimmed down feel. I almost forgot she's pregnant when I first glimpsed the outfit. :lol:

What I like in Meghan's look is that she obviously dressed down to fit into the background. The colour, the whole outfit, the way her pregnancy is nearl hidden - all a good choice if you don't want to stick out. And I bet sticking out in anyway is the last thing Meghan wants this christmas with the many in-laws. I feel she manages very well, especially as the latest media reports force her and Catherine together and Catherine going for this classic look. It's allegedly a British outfit from the wife of a dearly beloved footballer in football-crazy Britain, it tunes down Meghan's lively beauty, so the more British looking Catherine can shine, she coordinated it with her husband, so she appears more like a humblre wife and not a superstar herself, her pregnancy is carefull hidden, the overall look is sombre, fitting for going to church - what else could she do to avoid new headlines?

I don't think the negative commentary is because of the blue that Meghan is wearing. Camilla and Catherine both wear a lot of blue, its the clothes that are attracting the comments.

And where did you get that notion from? Meghan is as elite as they get: privately educated, Ivy league university, successful actress, mixing with the Hollywood crew, how is she in any way accessible?

Just to be exact and precise, Northwestern is not an Ivy League University. There are 8 Ivy League Universities (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Brown). I should know I attended the University of Pennsylvania. Northwestern, just like Stanford are top selective universities but are not Ivy League.

Last edited:
What I like in Meghan's look is that she obviously dressed down to fit into the background. The colour, the whole outfit, the way her pregnancy is nearl hidden - all a good choice if you don't want to stick out. And I bet sticking out in anyway is the last thing Meghan wants this christmas with the many in-laws. I feel she manages very well, especially as the latest media reports force her and Catherine together and Catherine going for this classic look. It's allegedly a British outfit from the wife of a dearly beloved footballer in football-crazy Britain, it tunes down Meghan's lively beauty, so the more British looking Catherine can shine, she coordinated it with her husband, so she appears more like a humblre wife and not a superstar herself, her pregnancy is carefull hidden, the overall look is sombre, fitting for going to church - what else could she do to avoid new headlines?

Brilliant! Exactly. I definitely think you are onto something. There's nothing much to say about what Meghan is wearing today, aside from the nitpicking. She looks fine, but not especially outstanding. That's immediately the feeling I got: okay and blending in, especially with many members of the family wearing dark blue.

Meghan is looking comfortable and appropriate. She is not trying to dazzle. I begin to get the impression now from what you've said and from what we've been seeing her wear actually ever since the engagement announcement, that Meghan is being very careful not to stand out too much. To a degree, she can't help it because she's gorgeous and she has a genuine appeal and a down-to-earth ease about her. The 16-day tour was a mix of glamour and laid-back casual and both Harry and Meghan got rave reviews. When they returned, it was apparently time to ratchet her back down in more ways than one, from more quarters than one, in more contexts than one.

Meghan is ambitious and she loves fashion, but she does not have a huge ego, and she's not a young ingenue. She's had a successful career and she's surely determined to make a successful marriage with the love of her life. For her these days, the clothes are likely great fun, but secondary to her major goals.

Last edited:
Meghan is ambitious and she loves fashion, but she does not have a huge ego, and she's not a young ingenue. She's had a successful career and she's surely determined to make a successful marriage with the love of her life. Fer her these days, the clothes are likely great fun, but secondary to her major goals.

This is perhaps the best description of Meghan and her fashion choices that I've read in a long time. I thought she looked nice and appropriately dressed for church with her family.

Meghan looks happy and sure in her role. That’s what I see. The navy drsss looks comfortable and warm. I like the coat and the fascinator.

Last edited:
I like Meghan's navy outfit this year but then navy is the base neutral in my own wardrobe. I particularly like the rather jaunty feathers on her hat. The handbag is a little weird but I doubt she carries much in it. I also loved the camel and cinnamon combo she wore last year.

While it is off topic but has come up, Northwestern is a highly respected school in the Big Ten.

I had no idea that wearing navy and black was a fashion crime. I think she looks very nice. Not my favourite of looks, but still very nice, and I think the hairstyle suits her. Incidentally, I liked last year’s look. What is so wrong about wearing brown? I enjoy a festive colour, but I wouldn’t condemn an outfit just because it’s a colour I don’t particularly like.

Interesting film about meghan influence on the fashion industry

I really disagree with the Meghan choosing muted colours to blend in and basically hide. She likes fashion and we’ve seen from some of her pre and post wedding choices that she takes risk and she likes to stand out. That’s quite clear to me in her personality and the way she comes across, and there is nothing wrong with that. Stand out but do it for the right reasons. Don’t wear short skirts for the sake of it, but wear a bright colour on a dark winters day so the people can SEE you! There is no reason if Meghan wanted to wear a bit of a different outfit or a colour today she couldn’t have, if anything the only person who stood out for me today was Autumn because she wore a vivid green. Even the queen with her freckled pink looked subdued.

She can be so out there sometimes, and then others just so boring. I vehemently agree with assessment that she just doesn’t understand how to dress for occasions.

Not true anymore. Fashion world has abandoned that. I’ve seen pieces with navy and black patterns on the same pieces from multiple labels in recent years.

Those colors still clash to me. Seeing the 2 together reminds me of when I accidentally grabbed black pants to go with a navy stripe shirt - figured it out at work. Bugged me all day.

So I don’t care for it. Trend or not.

I love navy, but it’s a bit of a dark color for Christmas. The style doesn’t do much for me either. Can’t say I care for the outfit.

I love navy, but it’s a bit of a dark color for Christmas. The style doesn’t do much for me either. Can’t say I care for the outfit.

Definitely not a festive look, and the items don't complement one another, imo.

Still, at this stage of pregnancy, dressing becomes awkward, so I'm going to cut her some slack.

Also, the DM is trumpeting the cost of every single item she's wearing to generate bad PR, so I'm feeling sympathetic.

She can be so out there sometimes, and then others just so boring. I vehemently agree with assessment that she just doesn’t understand how to dress for occasions.
I think she's still figuring out this whole thing and what to wear where and when. At least I hope so. Because there has been some outfits that I completely don't understand, the one from today included.

Definitely not a festive look, and the items don't complement one another, imo.

Still, at this stage of pregnancy, dressing becomes awkward, so I'm going to cut her some slack.

Also, the DM is trumpeting the cost of every single item she's wearing to generate bad PR, so I'm feeling sympathetic.
You're saying that as if the DM hasn't been counting how much DOC is spending on her clothes and Meghan is some kind of an exception. They do this every year.

Meghan’s hair looks pretty and I really like the hat, but the rest of the outfit was meh. I’m one of those that wish she had worn some color.

That purse is really useless....can anything fit in it? For the price, it should be able to at least hold something in it.

What exactly should Meghan, or anyone who buys it, be putting in the purse? It looks like it would hold a lipstick, handkerchief, maybe a credit card. If you're taking it to a club, church, or fancy restaurant, you're not going to need much else.

Daily Fail pointing out Meghan’s price while ignoring Kate’s makes me giggle at their predictability. Anyways I agree Meghan mostly dresses to blend in and not stand out. That’s been her thing for awhile now. Keep it dark and chic Duchess. It looks good on you.

Perhaps this pointless frippery was a present ?

What exactly should Meghan, or anyone who buys it, be putting in the purse? It looks like it would hold a lipstick, handkerchief, maybe a credit card. If you're taking it to a club, church, or fancy restaurant, you're not going to need much else.

A cell phone for one. IMO, it doesn’t even look like it would hold lipstick without appearing stuffed (and I think the whole point is for the purse to look sleek). But to each their own. I’m sure Meghan loves the purse. I don’t. I like a bit more room in my purses...especially if I’m paying that much for it.

Back
Top Bottom