The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the coat. The dress however was not a good look...it was too tight and looked terribly uncomfortable.

I like the coat and I like the dress. But I don't think they go well together, because the coat is wintery and the dress is spring-summer. But she looks great, happy and beautiful.

About being tight. I agree it was a bit tight on the back, but I like the front view. Maybe its my personal taste, but I always loved when pregnant women show clearly their baby bump. That's why I dislike loose dresses on pregnant women and I hate those awful tents.

Well, tents were not only in the 80s, I was born in the 90s and my mom used tents. Also, I remember hating Crown Princess Victoria's tent dresses on her first pregnancy.

Yes, I would really rather see a fitted dress like Meghan's than a tent.

There is a trend to wear fitted dresses for pregnant women, today. They look awful and I have had it looking at belly buttons that are exaggerated by the fit and conditions. Tents are better. She looks fine, the dress is too tight. Perhaps, she can getter a better perspective, when she sees herself in this.

Hopefully she will a picture of herself in this and learn she needs maternity wear. It doesn’t have to be a tent, just comfortable and not straining at the seems. Also, it is one thing to layer, another to wear a summer dress in December under a wool coat. A very odd look.

It's really nice to see Meghan on this visit. Overall, I like the look, in that she's not wearing navy or black. However, despite the dress being a pretty floral print with nice styling, it is rather unseasonal, wrinkly and a bit tight around her back, chest and midsection. I do like the way it's styled, and it's always nice to see Meghan in brighter shades. Maybe it's a dress to take in and wear at some other point after giving birth.

Meghan rarely wears prints, so this is a surprise. Perhaps she wanted to wear something bright (for the residents) in a cool rather than a warm fabric (so she wouldn't get overheated).

I don't mind form-fitting wear for pregnancy, but this particular fabric and style doesn't carry off the form-fit very well. The wrinkling is just so noticeable. Maybe she will be getting some help soon with managing her wardrobe selections re trying to choose less wrinkly fabrics for visits where she will be moving around, sitting down and getting up often which is why the dress began to wrinkle more and pull at the back.

Otherwise the dress is pretty, and I do like the coat, shoes, purse and her pulled back hair. I don't think we will see Meghan in prints often, but she could have saved this dress for spring/summer. I don't think Meghan looks particularly 'washed out,' as a few people have commented, but sometimes certain shades of white can have that effect on her skin tone. In some shots the white background of the dress almost looks blush pink, which might have been a nice shade too for this floral print. But the dress itself does seem unseasonal.

It's really nice to see Meghan on this visit. Overall, I like the look, in that she's not wearing navy or black. However, despite the dress being a pretty floral print with nice styling, it is rather unseasonal, wrinkly and a bit tight around her back, chest and midsection. I do like the way it's styled, and it's always nice to see Meghan in brighter shades. Maybe it's a dress to take in and wear at some other point after giving birth.

Meghan rarely wears prints, so this is a surprise. Perhaps she wanted to wear something bright (for the residents) in a cool rather than a warm fabric (so she wouldn't get overheated).

I don't mind form-fitting wear for pregnancy, but this particular fabric and style doesn't carry off the form-fit very well. The wrinkling is just so noticeable. Maybe she will be getting some help soon with managing her wardrobe selections re trying to choose less wrinkly fabrics for visits where she will be moving around, sitting down and getting up often which is why the dress began to wrinkle more and pull at the back.

Otherwise the dress is pretty, and I do like the coat, shoes, purse and her pulled back hair. I don't think we will see Meghan in prints often, but she could have saved this dress for spring/summer. I don't think Meghan looks particularly 'washed out,' as a few people have commented, but sometimes certain shades of white can have that effect on her skin tone. In some shots the white background of the dress almost looks blush pink, which might have been a nice shade too for this floral print. But the dress itself does seem unseasonal.

I agree with you, this is a dress for Meghan to keep and to wear in the summer. I do like the styling of the dress, but just not for this stage of her pregnancy and for this time of the year.

And the fashion blogs continue to amaze me on what they can find based on the little glimpse we got. Meghan is wearing Erdem. It's a piece from 2015, so likely to have been in her closet from before.

Update: She first worn it in early 2016.

One note on the season thing. I didn't know that was still a big thing as long as you can keep warm somehow. I've been in either sleeveless or short sleeve all week (sleeveless dress plus no tights), so perhaps why I don't find it weird. I wear a coat outside to keep warm in the climate, but there is heating indoors (I know, I know, conservation). I've long gotten over the seasonal thing and started wearing whatever I wanted, but perhaps that's more of an American thing? I know we tend to blast our AC and heating in most buildings. She seemed fine and not cold, which to me is all that matters in terms of if this is the right season for that dress. It is also possible that she runs hotter than usual as she is pregnant. The Erdem dress also uses quite thin material.

Last edited:
Ok so how is she fitting into an Erdem that old...did she used to wear larger sizes?

LaRae

Hopefully she will a picture of herself in this and learn she needs maternity wear. It doesn’t have to be a tent, just comfortable and not straining at the seems. Also, it is one thing to layer, another to wear a summer dress in December under a wool coat. A very odd look.

Yes, there's plenty of attractive maternity clothes now.
She doesn't have to choose between a tent and a sausage-casing!

Seraphine, for example, has lots of pretty dresses for every occasion.

liked the color/pattern of her dress when she visited the royal variety nursing home. somehow reminded me of "the nanny" when she was pregnant with twins and wore a dress with a rose pattern. but it could have been slightly larger, seemed a little ill-fitting.

That dress

Looking at enlarged photos of the dress, I noticed the ruched sleeves. I also noticed that the body of the dress comprises many narrow panels, which also seem to be ruched. The dress has a lot of lines in it even when worn by the model. (Note to self: stay away from ruching if I’m having a fat day)

https://www.matchesfashion.com/us/p...FGLnEolOWg&rffrid=aff.linkshare.2575853.37420

When I watched this video of the visit, the dress looked better in motion. And the Duchess herself appeared to be effortlessly elegant and charming when visiting with the residents. And they were so sweetly thrilled...

https://www.therealmyroyals.com/the-duchess-of-sussex-visits-brinsworth-house/

Black and boring, horrible leather boots as well. What a shame.

I do wish Meghan would wear some colour. However, I like her hair in an updo, like the hat and the boots. She looks happy, and she and Harry coordinate in the coat department! It looks absolutely freezing!

Her coat and dress look navy to me. The boots and bag are black.

Navy again. Not surprised.

Yes, I do wish she would wear more colors!

At least it is an improvement on last year's beige and brown!!!

Last edited:
Is Meghan wearing pants for the picture seems to show pants/leggings or what? And is that another price tag showing on her coat on the inside? Or the label of who made it? Yes, dark and boring and horrible looking boots..

Meghan's whole outfit looks navy blue. She wore the hat before but the purse and boots look new.

It's not black it's navy. Coat, dress, hat, gloves and purse..navy. Boots ..can't tell but I assume black.

LaRae

Is Meghan carrying a back pack instead of a purse? That looks like a very different style purse or back pack .....

The inside dress looks navy on my screen.Navy coat, dress and bag. Navy and black hat. Black boots.

The hat is new?

Nothing particularly special or out of the ordinary for her but better than last years IMO.

Back
Top Bottom