The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I can see of the dress, I'd rather wear it during spring or summer and not three days before christmas.

She looks super washed out, maybe a little peaked. The coat is nice, but the dress totally washes out her complexion.

That dress is really pulling across the front. I hope it doesn't split at the seams while she's there.

Love the hair, coat and shoes. The dress looks like a spring or summer dress. Maternity wear is required though.

Well if it does split I'm sure the Fail will leap into action and give us all the details! I was looking at pictures of a pregnant Diana at one of her engagements the other day. She looked lovely, but really the dress was a ruffled tent! Things certainly change!

I like the dress without the coat better. I’m sure there will be articles about how the back breaks protocol though (it does not). :lol: I’m really liking th coat and shoe combo.

Strange combo, a winter coat and something that looks like a summer dress about to burst open, far too tight, the hair looks unwashed and pulled back, very messy look.

I love the look of the outfit but that dress does feel like a summer piece. Kinda looks out of place.

The gray coat is lovely. The dress is rather spring/summer.

Well if it does split I'm sure the Fail will leap into action and give us all the details! I was looking at pictures of a pregnant Diana at one of her engagements the other day. She looked lovely, but really the dress was a ruffled tent! Things certainly change!

If this is Meghan at 5 months, then she might need Diana's "ruffled tent" in the very near future!

With Meghan's petite frame and shorter torso, she might find dressing to be a challenge in the coming months.

Love the coat, but agree with others that the dress appears to be better suited for spring/summer.

Love the coat. The dress is lovely but not so right for this season.

This is a terrible look on Meghan. The dress is way, way too tight, the color drains her of any life, and in addition the color and print look more early spring than nearly Christmas. I like the coat, but that shade of grey with the cream of the dress looks both dead and like a mismatch. This is the worst look since the floofy blue and white dress she wore for the wedding in the summer.

Edited to add: After seeing more photos, in some the background of the dress looks creamy white, in others just white, so I'll give her a pass on the creamy white/grey mismatch criticism. Everything else stands.

I do like the dress, and would like to see it again in the summer where the pretty exposed back could be showcased--and where she wouldn't look as though she was in imminent danger of exploding out of it.

Last edited:
Yes, looking at the dress inside the home it has a pretty print but would have been much better with long sleeves. At least it wasn't navy coloured.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dressing like a woman who has lived in Canada for six years. We don't have seasonal clothes other then shorts. If it's colder out, you put a Warner coat on, that is what outer wear is for. :flowers:

Of course some people want to focus only on negative, the one foreign brand :bang:

Shoes- British designer aquazura
Coat and earrings- Canadian designers (commonwealth not foreign)
Purse- major British label

I love the coat and purse. Both lovely picks. Her hair is fantastic. ?

I quite like the dress but post maternity. Right now way too tight.

Last edited:
I like this look. Yes, the dress is too tight, but I like the style a lot.

Meghan looks truly beautiful and glowing!

Dressing like a woman who has lived uncanada for sux years. We don't have seasonal clothes other then shorts. If it's colder out, you put a Warner coat on, that is what outer wear is for. :flowers:

Of course some people want to ficus only in negative, the one foreign brand :bang:

I love the coat and purse. Both lovely picks. Her hair is fantastic. ?

I quite like the dress but post maternity. Right now way too tight.

Speaking of which, this conversation did remind me of the interview Meghan did with Joe Z at NYFW one year. She talked about weather and clothes. She did say living in Canada, what you really try to do is layering. There is nothing to be done other than wear a coat to keep warm outside, but once inside, it's a different story.

A spring / summer dress is a good choice for visiting a retirement home as they are usually very warm. I like the pale tones & greys on her & I love the pretty pattern.

I was really hoping to be pleasantly surprised with a beautiful, seasonal maternity dress or even pants/sweater type combo. But, the only pleasant surprise here is that it isn't navy. The rest of the look is a total miss for me. I just simply don't like the shoes, I don't feel like the clutch matches well. The dress....it's actually kind of pretty for spring/summer and when she's not pregnant but honestly, it just doesn't fit well because it's not the maternity cut that she so clearly needs right now. I saw a couple of pictures from the back and it just looks so very tight and uncomfortable. The style, the print, all of it would be much better suited to spring/summer. And I would agree with another poster who said the color washes her out a bit. And the gray coat....I like the color because I tend to be a fan of gray but these wrap coats that she's so fond of just seem to swallow her. I realize that she's very petite but there are other styles that are more flattering. Overall just not a great look.

The dress is way too small. It’s actually digging into her back. Looks very uncomfortable

A very pretty dress that doesn’t fit.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Duchess of Sussex at the Royal Variety Charity care home today, December 18, wearing a floral dress by Brock Collection and a grey coat:

** Full view ** Full view 2 **

This might, I emphasis might, be nice if she wasn’t 5 months pregnant. She really has to understand her body shape. The dress is a horrid pattern and is far too tight pretty much everywhere.

I adore the coat, lovely colour!

Love the coat, dislike the dress. Spring dress with a wool coat and not to mention, the dress is way too snug on her.

Of course some people want to focus only on negative, the one foreign brand :bang:

Last time I looked, Commonwealth was not British, and therefore foreign. She can wear as much Canadian as she wants, when in Canada. If she wears it here, it is foreign!

A poster commented that the coat was not new, and in that case , I have no problem with her using it here. However, the dress is not old, and a US label that has no obvious link to either her work or the engagement of the day is certainly not appropriate, IMO.

This might, I emphasis might, be nice if she wasn’t 5 months pregnant. She really has to understand her body shape. The dress is a horrid pattern and is far too tight pretty much everywhere.

I adore the coat, lovely colour!
That's what always seems weird to me - for someone as conscious of the fashion, Meghan sometimes seems like she's dressing in a clothes that would fit well if she had a completely different body shape.

I kinda liked the pattern on the dress, and even the dress was nice, just a LOT too tight. Sometimes mirror is our best friend...

Last time I looked, Commonwealth was not British, and therefore foreign. She can wear as much Canadian as she wants, when in Canada. If she wears it here, it is foreign!

A poster commented that the coat was not new, and in that case , I have no problem with her using it here. However, the dress is not old, and a US label that has no obvious link to either her work or the engagement of the day is certainly not appropriate, IMO.

It really doesn't matter what you think is appropriate. The Queen evidently has no problem with the labels Meghan has been wearing. If there's an issue it will filter down to Meghan/Harry.

All the pearl clutching over the labels is ridiculous. You might as well tighten your seatbelt because most likely she will continue to wear labels that are not all from the U.K. Just like today..some are U.K., some are commonwealth and one is neither.

LaRae

That's what always seems weird to me - for someone as conscious of the fashion, Meghan sometimes seems like she's dressing in a clothes that would fit well if she had a completely different body shape.

I kinda liked the pattern on the dress, and even the dress was nice, just a LOT too tight. Sometimes mirror is our best friend...

SPOT ON! Couldn’t have said it better myself.

The Queen evidently has no problem with the labels Meghan has been wearing. If there's an issue it will filter down to Meghan/Harry.

Might it be a bit presumptuous for you to proclaim so, given that you have no idea what communication may or may not take place between HM and Meghan, directly or indirectly?

My guess is that HM is unlikely to want to get involved in something like this, and would hope that Meghan (perhaps advised by Harry) will work it out for herself.

You might as well tighten your seatbelt because most likely she will continue to wear labels that are not all from the U.K. Just like today..some are U.K., some are commonwealth and one is neither.

If that is indeed the case and she will not substantially increase the level of British fashion she wears, she will just not get the support of the public and the press that she should, as a member of the BRF. In that case, what you see in the Press today might be hear to stay.

Last edited:
The thing I'm wondering about this very summery looking dress is if it were originally chosen for the South Pacific tour, but was too big then and therefore not worn. And it shouldn't have been worn now, since Meghan has clearly passed the point where is would have looked flattering.

The thing I'm wondering about this very summery looking dress is if it were originally chosen for the South Pacific tour, but was too big then and therefore not worn. And it shouldn't have been worn now, since Meghan has clearly passed the point where is would have looked flattering.

That is, indeed, a possibility. But I tend to agree with you, the dress just does not fit her anymore, and is certainly not something one would expect to see just before Xmas.

Edited: Just saw the DM story about the dress costing £834. That is an awful lot for a dress that does not fit!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom