The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I am all for dark plum, plum velvet would scream kids concert. Black allowed her to wear full velvet and still look modern.

Stunning tonight, gown was amazing. Love the one shoulder style. :flowers:

Her hair and styling is fantastic. Even the nails.

Seems the British fashion awards agree Claire is still a Brirish designer :whistling:

Everything was fantastic…. perfect purity and beauty !

Meghan looks nice. I really like the one shoulder design. I will say that I think the shoes are quite ugly.

The dress is lovely.

I think I’d like the shoes in a different color. I love strappy shoes, but I don’t like gold.

The whole look was stunning. I agree with the comments that a dark plum would have also been beautiful and I think the same applies to a dark sapphire or a dark green. That said, I do think a gold hoop earring might have worked well and the shoes were okay, but my favorite, not the worst I’ve seen. Strappy heels were definitely the way to go but I’m just not a huge fan of gold shoes.

I think I may need to get a pair of these shoes or similar. I have been looking for a new shoe to finish off a couple of outfits for things coming up and something like this seems perfect.

In her gracious remarks at the fashion awards event in which Meghan honored her designer, Clare Waight Keller, we gain some insight into what Meghan thinks about clothes and fashion:

"As all of you in this room know, we have a deep connection to what we wear. Sometimes it's very personal, sometimes it's emotional. But for me this connection is rooted in really being able to understand that it's about supporting and empowering each other, especially as women. When you choose to wear a certain designer, it’s not just a reflection of their creativity and their vision, but also an extension of their values—of something in the fabric so to speak that is much more meaningful. I recently read an article that said the culture of fashion has shifted, from one where it was 'cool to be cruel, to now where it’s cool to be kind.' [Clare] Waight Keller … has incredible kindness, which is why, when I met her 11 months ago, I knew we'd be working very closely together."

https://www.whowhatwear.co.uk/meghan-markle-british-fashion-awards

Last edited by a moderator:
The one time I can give her a pass for wearing Givenchy to give Clare the award. The dress is rather boring for me, hair up in a bun does very little when there is nothing to show off. A low chignon with some kind of clip would have been lovely.

Best part about the outfit is the shoes for me.

Anyone see the irony in her speech talking about celebrating british fashion and designers...:whistling:

Last edited:
Again insight into what Meghan thinks about the clothes she wears is key for me in understanding how she approaches what she decides to wear. She has clearly supported a number of lesser known sustainable brands, which has given those brands a boost[...]

She owned this. What a beautiful woman. Kuddos to Clare this is the best item she has delivered to the DoS (to me).

Could Meghan wear more British brands? Sure. Always room for improvement. I would love to see her branch beyond CWK, too. But she explained in her speech very well why she chose CWK, a British born, raised and trained designer with an international outlook and house as a way to combine two things important to Meghan. People can disagree with Meghan's view, that is absolutely fair, but there was some logic to her thinking to me.

But this fallacy that she doesn't wear British designers is frustrating. She has put some small British designers on the map in massive ways in the mere year she has been engaged and married (Charlotte Elizabeth, Strathberry, Missona, Huit, Pippa Small, Safiyaa etc). She has worn a good spread of the major British brands too (McCarthy, McQueen, Wickstead, etc) as well as some high street (Winser, etc).

I would love to see her continue to invest more in British fashion, but she has worn a lot of British fashion, even if you do not count CWK herself in that.

Last edited:
She owned this. What a beautiful woman. Kuddos to Clare this is the best item she has delivered to the DoS (to me).

:previous:

Yes, along with the veil and wedding dress, I would agree that this evening gown is one of the best outfits CWK of Givenchy has provided to Meghan. I haven't been that enthralled with everything Meghan has worn by CWK.

Here's another article with pictures of Meghan at the fashion awards event:
https://www.hellomagazine.com/fashi...5492/meghan-markle-fashion-awards-dress-bump/

Last edited:
Note that CWK won British Women's Wear Designer of The Year Award. British Designer. Which puts that argument to rest, as far as I am concerned.

I thought the dress looked wonderful, but I hated the shoes.
Her hair looked very severe but it did look polished.

Note that CWK won British Women's Wear Designer of The Year Award. British Designer. Which puts that argument to rest, as far as I am concerned.
I don't think anyone ever doubted that Clare Waight Keller is indeed British. But I don't know if you noticed that when she designs something (in this case for Meghan), the label doesn't say Clare Waight Keller - it says Givenchy, which btw definitely isn't British.

Yes, Clare Waight Keller is a British Designer. But she works for a French brand. You can be of one nationality and work for the company that is from another country. I don't believe anyone would have anything against her designs if the label said Clare Waight Keller. But it doesn't.

The one time I can give her a pass for wearing Givenchy to give Clare the award. The dress is rather boring for me, hair up in a bun does very little when there is nothing to show off. A low chignon with some kind of clip would have been lovely.

Best part about the outfit is the shoes for me.

Anyone see the irony in her speech talking about celebrating british fashion and designers...:whistling:

No, because clearly the British fashion world agrees with Meghan. That British fashion talent is not limited to brutish labels. Hence the award :flowers:

I don't think anyone ever doubted that Clare Waight Keller is indeed British. But I don't know if you noticed that when she designs something (in this case for Meghan), the label doesn't say Clare Waight Keller - it says Givenchy, which btw definitely isn't British.

Yes, Clare Waight Keller is a British Designer. But she works for a French brand. You can be of one nationality and work for the company that is from another country. I don't believe anyone would have anything against her designs if the label said Clare Waight Keller. But it doesn't.

However, the point is to promote British talent on a global platform, which is also the mission of the British Fashion Council. In the press releases I've seen, it's always said designed by Clare Waight Keller. And quite frankly, until this year, how many people knew CWK's name? They've probably come across her work at some point, but no one knew the woman behind it. It's SIGNIFICANTLY raised CWK's profile more than anything else. And thus what a woman born, raised, and most importantly educated in Britain can do in the fashion world. That actually does increase chance of success for designers that are in British schools now, which is exactly what British Fashion Council tries to promote. They even take students to Paris to promote their work each year.

The reality is we live in a global world, and the old idea of the British brand means British talent no longer hold true. Especially when many British houses are led by foreign talent.

I get that some might disagree with it, which is fine, but the unnecessary comment about Meghan not wanting to support British talent no longer hold true. She's supporting the very epitome of it.

Question.........This: *British Women's Wear Designer of The Year Award*, well Claire won by being British yet she works for a French company, so should the award be called *International Women's Wear Designer of The Year Award* instead of the *British* .........this way then it can be said she won.......for me right now..........Claire is French as that is whom she is working for......maybe she should have her own label in her name only........:whistling:

Stunning,she just looked fabulous last night love that dress and how fitt her figure and her growing bump.

Yes Sarah Burton is a British designer. But she works for a French-owned company, Alexander McQueen, part of the Kering Group which, btw definitely isn't British.

The Duchess of Sussex at the Royal Variety Charity care home today, December 18, wearing a floral dress by Brock Collection and a grey coat:

** Full view ** Full view 2 **

Wearing her grey SOIA & KYO coat + a BROCK COLLECTION dress.

I think she has arrived at a point in her pregnancy where she is running hot all the time. :) I am all bundled up today as it's actually pretty crisp. haha

More foreign brands to support (..)

I was praying 'Please not black or navy' before I looked, and I was pleased that instead we have grey and white. I like the coat very much and what I can see of the dress, which seems quite snug, perhaps a bit too much so, but what can you do! Meghan's hair is out of her face as well. I like the shoes.

Last edited:
I don't like this dress as maternity wear. It seems to be constricting and seems like she was squeezed into it. It doesn't look comfortable at all either.

So, this is a miss for me.

More foreign brands to support (..)

Other than her dress these are all pre-owned/worn pieces...

Established American woman in her late 30s who has lived in Canada for the better part of the last decade owns a lot of Canadian and American items. Shocking.

As time goes by(maybe more than 1 year of living in her new country) & as her closet transitions fully and she still doesn't bop by Ted Baker or Suzannah, let's discuss it again, but for now I find this to be just flogging a dead horse.

____

btw, her clutch is a Wilbur and Gussie repeat - great local company committed to the British leather industry. Would recommend looking into - wonderful quality products.

Nice colors combo,the dress though is no maternity wear it's too tight and squeezing her tunmy so not sure it's comfortable,love the coat however and her hair pulled is better.

Other than her dress these are all pre-owned/worn pieces...

Established American woman in her late 30s who has lived in Canada for the better part of the last decade owns a lot of Canadian and American items. Shocking.

As time goes by(maybe more than 1 year of living in her new country) & as her closet transitions fully and she still doesn't bop by Ted Baker or Suzannah, let's discuss it again, but for now I find this to be just flogging a dead horse.

____

btw, her clutch is a Wilbur and Gussie repeat - great local company committed to the British leather industry. Would recommend looking into - wonderful quality products.

If the coat is a repeat, then I can understand her continuing to use it, and IMO, is not a problem. The dress, if new, by yet another foreign brand just does not seem appropriate.

I love the coat and shoes..I actually like the dress as well...the look all goes together. I don't think that dress will fit next week though!

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom