The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The purse is just a purse....the hat I believe we have seen before.''

Can't tell on the earrings yet. I like the look (especially over last years) except the boots..meh about those.

LaRae

Last edited:
This is a very sombre looking outfit for a Christmas appearance, and even worse, it doesn't really hang together well. The hat requires a very crisp, tailored look, and while I realize that Meghan may be at that point in her pregnancy when she might feel overheated easily, the coat hanging open looks untidy and makes the hat look a little random. The boots just add to the mismatched look. If her accessories had been in an accent color rather than adding to the sombre effect I might have liked this more. I don't think this is better than last year's effort at all: I think, once again, it looks as though Meghan doesn't quite "get it."

I think she gets it just fine. It’s just not everyone’s style and thank goodness for variety. I like the look. It’s very Meghan. Very chic. Not surprised it’s navy. Love love love the boots. Appears to be a Victoria Beckman ensemble.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like a backpack, it looks like a clutch with a strap.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvQjuR0WwAAfxmN.jpg

Thanks Lumutqueen, I have never seen that kind of purse before....it does not look very comfortable to be carrying to me.....I like a nice handheld purse with a small strap over the arm..........not chunky things for me. Beside how would a person open it with a strap over the sides of it.....take the strap off and ......no not for me....:lol:

Looks like Meghan is wearing both a Victoria Beckham coat and boots.

LaRae

I'm confused with her bag. It's genuinely one of the dumbest designs of a bag/clutch I've seen in a while.

Her outfit is a big whatever to me. Nothing I will remember years later, unlike her outfit last year.

Meghan's ensemble for church today looks to be dark navy to me, not black. She looks comfortable and noticeably much more at ease then she did at Sandringham last Christmas.

I really love the look of last year on what Meghan wore, it was a warm soft color, brightened her up a bit, the coat had style and design to it, the purse was great and wished I had one like it, the hat was okay as was the boots, this year she looks dreary and dark.........not happy seasonal holiday colors at all. A huge difference in the 2 years IMHO. I really do not like this dark heavy look, navy and black do not go together at all IMHO. You need balance and she missed it this year!

I think she gets it just fine. It’s just not everyone’s style and thank goodness for variety. I like the look. It’s very Meghan. Very chic. Not surprised it’s navy. Love love love the boots. Appears to be a Victoria Beckman ensemble.

I agree. I’ve been reading the comments here and looking back at the photo wondering what’s so awful about her clothes. I like her clothes and tend to not like Kate’s. I also love the fact that her clothes aren’t what members of the BRF usually wear. It makes me wonder what type of clothes her children will wear and I hope it’s not the obligatory shorts for boys.

Not true anymore. Fashion world has abandoned that. I’ve seen pieces with navy and black patterns on the same pieces from multiple labels in recent years.

To me, mixing blue and black is the least of the criticisms!

The only thing black are her shoes and possibly her hat (blue feather) ...but I have always thought black shoes acceptable with navy...unless you want to be matchy and wear blue shoes too. I've seen blue and black done for years...not sure why it's not acceptable now.

LaRae

To me, mixing blue and black is the least of the criticisms!
I’m not sure what’s so offensive to some about it?

On a more general note, I’m noticing people aren’t whining about the lack of color from Harry and William, but expects Meghan to be in some form of color everytime or it’s boring? Never mind that she’s made it very clear it’s not her thing?

I agree. I’ve been reading the comments here and looking back at the photo wondering what’s so awful about her clothes. I like her clothes and tend to not like Kate’s. I also love the fact that her clothes aren’t what members of the BRF usually wear. It makes me wonder what type of clothes her children will wear and I hope it’s not the obligatory shorts for boys.

I’m with you. I’m not into bright colors and overly festive looks. I would never be caught rocking a pink coat. I’m definitely more in Meghan’s style range with understated chic. I’m going to be rocking something similar today only with a touch of green. So it’s nice seeing a royal who dresses more this way.

Also I hated last year’s beige. Much prefer this look by far.

Last edited:

Agreed. I’m not understanding what’s so bad about a basic dress and coat with a twist on handbag. I’m crossing my fingers about the shorts. It’s not really a thing here in US to always dress boys in shorts even in the dead of winter (don’t they get cold?!?!).

What I find Strange is Meghan's bag…. very Strange !

I’m not sure what’s so offensive to some about it?

On a more general note, I’m noticing people aren’t whining about the lack of color from Harry and William, but expects Meghan to be in some form of color everytime or it’s boring? Never mind that she’s made it very clear it’s not her thing?

Might that be because, in the UK, men tend to wear blue or grey suits usually whilst women usually have a larger palette of colours to play with?

I tend not to criticise Meghan's styling choices (as I usually have another bugbear with her clothing:)), but I too thought that it was quite a dour outfit today, and one that, pregnancy notwithstanding, did not appear to have been put together particularly well.

I hated last year’s beige. Much prefer this look by far.
Omg, don’t get me started on that brown again! I liked the coat and the dress, but could do without seeing that hat in that color ever again! Personally the one color that bothers me is brown. Other than that, I’m pretty easygoing about color.

I actually saw something similar on Saks’ website the other day. How does one fit the iPhone in there?!?!

Yes, I too like the outfit from last year a bit better, but I think Meghan is obviously much more confident and comfortable this year. Dark navy doesn't seem festive, but then there are often choices by many of the royal ladies that aren't particularly festive. With Kate wearing red, Meghan was surely not going to also wear red. Navy and black appear to be Meghan's go-to colors.

Overall, I think Meghan's outfit is fine, and she seems at ease. I like her hat. The clutch with the strap does seem unusual. Whether or not Meghan 'gets' whatever anyone thinks she isn't 'getting,' sartorially or otherwise, I think it's safe to say, she's got quite a lot to her credit that's very impressive. She's managing a great deal with some flying colors, despite not utilizing a variety of colors too often in her wardrobe. ? It certainly can't be easy handling everything that she's been faced with, while also managing to segue quickly from planning a royal wedding, to planning a tour wardrobe while pregnant, etc.

By this point, I think it's apparent that Meghan has had a whirlwind of a two years and counting. I'm not thrilled by her penchant for ubiquitous navy personally, but she's certainly able to carry pretty much everything off, even some outfits I didn't care for. There are a number of hits and misses and so-so choices, but she's only been at this royal sartorial madness for how long? And she's pregnant too and she looks cool as a cucumber. She's surely still tryng to figure out how to meld her style with the role of a royal duchess, and since she was quite polished and fashionably laid-back and edgy in her previous life, it's not as if she's completely wrong in her choices. She appears to be experimenting, and surely having fun in the process.

I too noticed that Meghan is matching Harry and William in color scheme, while Kate stands out a bit more but still complements them in dark red.

Last edited:
Might that be because, in the UK, men tend to wear blue or grey suits usually whilst women usually have a larger palette of colours to play with?

I tend not to criticise Meghan's styling choices (as I usually have another bugbear with her clothing:)), but I too thought that it was quite a dour outfit today, and one that, pregnancy notwithstanding, did not appear to have been put together particularly well.

They can get a well fitted suit in any color that pleases them. It’s just a matter of cost. It’s more like society’s expectations of women versus men. I’m interested in how dark colors led to not put together well. The dark colors might not be everyone’s thing (just like bright color isn’t either), but this is actually put together pretty well. Down to a black hat with blue feathers to tie everything together.

The only thing black are her shoes and possibly her hat (blue feather) ...but I have always thought black shoes acceptable with navy...unless you want to be matchy and wear blue shoes too. I've seen blue and black done for years...not sure why it's not acceptable now.

This is similar to mistaking the color of the dark navy dress Meghan wore to RAF ceremony this summer. What she's wearing today all looks dark navy to me, with the lighter blue feather on the dark navy hat.

If you will notice, many of the royals are in dark shades of blue, some in a lighter blue, with someone in dark green, Kate in dark red, Charles is wearing an overcoat the same color as what Meghan wore last year, and the Queen is wearing festive white!

Agreed. I’m not understanding what’s so bad about a basic dress and coat with a twist on handbag.

Horses for courses, luv! Its just not particularly festive, smart or elegant, but then again, she does not have to be.

They can get a well fitted suit in any color that pleases them. It’s just a matter of cost.

Perhaps it was not clear from my previous post, men in the UK tend to wear navy or grey suits. Of course they can wear any colour they fancy, but they tend not to.

I’m interested in how dark colors led to not put together well. The dark colors might not be everyone’s thing (just like bright color isn’t either), but this is actually put together pretty well. Down to a black hat with blue feathers to tie everything together.

Some looks work, some don't. This one does not, to me. It has nothing to do with the colours, it is the design and fit, or lack thereof. Catherine, for example, has worn many elegant ensembles when pregnant, this one is just not to that standard. Just to clarify, it does not have to be elegant as Catherine's usually are, every woman dresses to a different standard.

Thanks Lumutqueen, I have never seen that kind of purse before....it does not look very comfortable to be carrying to me.....I like a nice handheld purse with a small strap over the arm..........not chunky things for me. Beside how would a person open it with a strap over the sides of it.....take the strap off and ......no not for me....:lol:

Shame on you, I am sure it is very expensive and cutting edge!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m happy that Meghan is wearing a dress that doesn’t look like they forgot when she bought it that baby is growing and changing mama’s figure everyday.

Perhaps it was not clear from my previous post, men in the UK tend to wear navy or grey suits. Of course they can wear any colour they fancy, but they tend not to.

Just like Meghan tend not to wear a lot of colors. Yet, she’s expected to by some everytime.

... I tend not to criticise Meghan's styling choices (as I usually have another bugbear with her clothing:)), but I too thought that it was quite a dour outfit today, and one that, pregnancy notwithstanding, did not appear to have been put together particularly well.

It's all fine. I wouldn't get too excited. She's pregnant, she loves navy. It's Christmas. I'm chill, but I wish it was possible to know more backstory on all the ins-and-outs, sartorial and otherwise, including Christmas gift-giving and dinner menu because the very fact of Meghan being part of the royal family makes them seem accessible, but they are not. ;)

Anyway, I heard everyone is required to bring clothing changes for the day, but we won't get to see, and there are actually a few of Meghan's outfits recently that we haven't seen much of or at all (Christmas lunch; a recent event; Prince Charles 70th birthday celebration). It's quite possible she wore black to all three of these partly seen/unseen events. :D :sad:

Last edited:

The design of the bag is strange, and she even has to hold it in a strange way :bang:.

I don't mind the black and navy combination (surely it would be nice if she wears some colours but honestly it's what I expect). Love the hat, feathers and knot is a classic combination. Okay with the boots but I think it isn't a good idea to wear a boots when you are wearing a dress with such length.

Some looks work, some don't. This one does not, to me. It has nothing to do with the colours, it is the design and fit, or lack thereof. Catherine, for example, has worn many elegant ensembles when pregnant, this one is just not to that standard. Just to clarify, it does not have to be elegant as Catherine's usually are, every woman dresses to a different standard.

I’m quite grateful Meghan dresses nothing like Kate. One is enough. :D

Back
Top Bottom