The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter has some of those tiny purses ...evidently they are only used when going out and you don't need anything but money/card a lipstick, maybe keys and a cell.

LaRae

I like that purse. It looks to contain a mirror for quick makeup repairs and enough room to hold a bit of said makeup. I like little purses like this for an outing where I don't need my normal suitcase like bag that holds everything but the kitchen sink in it and half of my library of books. :D

Again, it seems to me that Meghan is being careful about not wearing 'look at me' colors when on group outings with the rest of the royal family. There was enough colorful variety from other members of the family, as well as a lot of blue. :D And it's also true, as we know, that Meghan loves her go-to black and dark navy and other shades of blue, and sometimes green. There also definitely appears to be a kind of color palette coordination that goes on among members of the royal family whenever they are appearing in public together as a large group.

There are lots of different, valid views and preferences re Meghan's choices. But it really doesn't make a lot of difference for what she's wearing today IMO. The outfit is certainly not inappropriate. And I'm just not seeing why what she's wearing is felt to be 'wide, messy,' and especially not inappropriate. I'll take another look, but I think Mehan fits in quite well, even though today's outfit is not everyone's favorite.

Maybe people are wanting to see something more exciting since we've rarely gotten to see Meghan after those 16 days on tour in October, which I doubt they will be going on another tour again anytime soon. There will be some public outings and some private events and more embargoed events where we won't get to see Meghan's clothes. And then the baby's birth and renewed frenzy I can imagine. The Sussexes are still in their first year of marriage, so a lot has happened in a very short time.

As I said before, clearly fashion and clothes are fun for Meghan, but at this point, she definitely seems very unwilling to invite additional OTT uncalled for scrutiny. So for the most part, we might as well expect perfectly fine outfits, some perhaps boring but still suitable, a few with some unexpected edge at appropriate times (such as the McQueen tux), some hits, some misses, with hopefully some stunning exceptions like the white Theia gown, the Fijian blue gown, and the gorgeous Oscar de la Renta black & white bird-themed evening gown.

For the most part, I think Meghan is intent upon making her life as a Duchess in the British royal family not about her clothes. She has to wear something, and so she's probably enjoying the process to a degree, but I don't see her ego as being overly involved with sartorial matters. No matter what Meghan wears these days, all eyes are on her.

Meghan previously had a fun career walking the red carpet, meeting and learning from designer friends, giving fashion tips on her blog and on the Today Show, and making her own capsule collections for Reitmans. Now, she really doesn't have to worry too much about her clothes (re running out to purchase, cleaning, repairing, or worrying about mundane matters) because of all the help that's available. Sure she has to spend a good portion of her time managing the process, simply because of the new high profile demands and visibility.

It's also surely quite amazing that she can have bespoke designer clothes made for her. And then of course, Meghan also has the opportunty and status to make an impact via supporting sustainable brands. In addition, she can have a blast putting together a private, casual wardrobe. At first Meghan probably had to pinch herself. But now, she's likely beginning to take all the perks, including the sartorial benefits, and even the ridiculous tabloid negativity, in stride.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, I think it's been mentioned previously. It certainly looks like Victoria Beckham's aesthetic too.

Again, it seems to me that Meghan is being careful about not wearing 'look at me' colors when on group outings with the rest of the royal family. There was enough colorful variety from other members of the family, as well as a lot of blue. :D And it's also true, as we know, that Meghan loves her go-to black and dark navy and other shades of blue, and sometimes green.

For the most part, I think Meghan is intent upon making her life as a Duchess in the British royal family not about her clothes. She has to wear something, and so she's probably enjoying the process to a degree, but I don't see her ego as being overly involved with sartorial matters. No matter what Meghan wears these days, all eyes are on her.

Honestly, I don’t think anyone in the BRF wants to make their life as a Duchess, Princess, etc about their clothes.

Meghan tends to wear neutral or dark colors, but I think it has a lot more to do with her own personal tastes (as you said) than media perceptions, wanting to be known for something other than her clothes, not standing out when with the rest of the family- whatever. She’ll get attention anyway, as you said. Doesn’t matter what color she wears.

I think her clothing choices are all about her own personal likes mixed in with what’s appropriate as a member of the BRF. Same as everyone else. I don’t feel Meghan is doing anything any differently than anyone else, in short.

IMo her oufit is too dark, too "funeral style". A bright scarf or something similar would add a bit of necessary color.

Perfect look for Meghan! Loved every bit. A nice color coordination with hubby (and William lol)

Explains why it looks so good. So happy to see Victoria getting some Duchess love. Meghan looks fierce.
I remember Meghan talking about liking Victoria Beckham designs, but couldn’t wear them as much because her dresses tend to be for people with longer torsos. I’m sure some bespoken pieces with shorter torso can be arranged once they’ve attended your wedding. :lol:

Last edited:
I loved Victoria's designs! I think they would suit Meg well if she went for the separates.

I also think they suit Sophie Wessex well too.

I really disagree with the Meghan choosing muted colours to blend in and basically hide. She likes fashion and we’ve seen from some of her pre and post wedding choices that she takes risk and she likes to stand out. That’s quite clear to me in her personality and the way she comes across, and there is nothing wrong with that. Stand out but do it for the right reasons. Don’t wear short skirts for the sake of it, but wear a bright colour on a dark winters day so the people can SEE you! There is no reason if Meghan wanted to wear a bit of a different outfit or a colour today she couldn’t have, if anything the only person who stood out for me today was Autumn because she wore a vivid green. Even the queen with her freckled pink looked subdued.

She can be so out there sometimes, and then others just so boring. I vehemently agree with assessment that she just doesn’t understand how to dress for occasions.

What I’ve noticed is that Meghan tends to dress more muted and not stand out while with other members of the family. The times where she really just shined like she’s supposed to, it’s usually just her or with her husband. So I do think there is an element of blending in. I certainly don’t think it’s that she doesn’t know how to dress for the occasion. She dresses appropriately for the occasions, but realize that it’s not about her when it’s a family affair.

Last edited:
Meghan's whole outfit is VB, and this is her bag: https://www.victoriabeckham.com/products/powder-box-black

Very odd and pointless shape if you ask me, and the price tag...

Thank you for that info. That is the cutest handbag!! Can you link to the other pieces of her outfit, or is it custom? I love Victoria Beckham clothing. Well, I love seeing it on other people. I cannot afford it myself.:ohmy:

I loved Victoria's designs! I think they would suit Meg well if she went for the separates.

I also think they suit Sophie Wessex well too.

I have always thought VB dresses would look amazing on Kate too, but the only VB I have ever seen her with is a handbag.

Perfect look for Meghan! Loved every bit. A nice color coordination with hubby (and William lol)

I think Meghan looks good. Her outfit reminds me of one of my favorite Kate pregnancy outfits:
https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/kate-middleton7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that info. That is the cutest handbag!! Can you link to the other pieces of her outfit, or is it custom? I love Victoria Beckham clothing. Well, I love seeing it on other people. I cannot afford it myself.:ohmy:

I think this is the dress.

Coat

Last edited:
I wonder if she's wearing boots to camouflage a little pregnancy ankle puffiness? Just a thought.

It is Christmas and she is not dressed to show it in any way. A fault. That is the way outfits, makeup and hairdos are judged with royals. Appropriate, ness and the rest. What is the point otherwise. Only the York girls who are blood princesses would wear such odd outfits and get a mild pass

The Duchess is perfectly appropriate. I don’t see anything “odd” about her outfit. She is dressed up for church with a nice coat & dress, hat and gloves.

Did the Queen’s outfit of white (or very light gray?) and fuschia say ”Christmas”? If anything it said Valentine’s Day. (And last year’s said Halloween.)

Last edited:
The DoS looked chic & entirely appropriate for the occasion IMO. I'm not sure what dressing up to show it's Christmas would look like as the BRF have worn a wide variety of outfits to Sandringham church.

She looks fine and appropriate but nothing special though,her baf is cute but not liking the hat.

I love the hat! For several reasons: 1. It's a different designer (good for the economy)
2. I love that touch of transparent fabric behind the feathers and mirrored below. It's a touch of something extra without being fussy.
3. I love the iridescent and not matchy feathers. So chic to my eye.

But all this is just my taste. I doubt Meghan cares when I approve, or not. :lol:

I wore a Navy skirt and dress to Midnight mass and again to my family on Christmas day (though mine was 100% different to Meghan's and had a splash more colour) I don't see why it's not appropriate as a colour. It's not a particularly interesting ensemble and certainly "yeah okay Navy again" but you don't have to just wear "festive" colours (or jumpers!) at Christmas.

I don't see why Blood Princesses should be treated any differently when it comes to "appropriate" clothes (other things maybe), in fact they aren't. The York's were unkindly called the "Ugly Step Sisters" because of their outfits for years.

Nothing inappropriate about the outfit, it's just nothing special to speak of. The one thing that bothered me, are the gloves. 1st off, she should have been wearing them on the walk to church, 2nd, due to the sleeves on the coat being shorter, she should have gone with longer gloves. Short gloves and shorter sleeves on the coat are distracting for me.

I don't get It? Once upon a time their ensembles were graded on appropriate royal wear, whether their hats were a hit or a miss and if the ensemble 'fit the wearers style'. This year it seems the bar has moved to "is it Christmasy enough?

The poor women are being judged as to whether they look like like appropriate ornaments for the Tree. Purely decorative and little account given to their personal style. They have been reduced to show pony status. How very sad and in no way is it the reason for the season!

IMo her oufit is too dark, too "funeral style". A bright scarf or something similar would add a bit of necessary color.
I like the fit of her maternity outfit, but agree that a pop of color would have been nice for yesterday.?

Just wonder , When you see them, they have a perfect make up and hair, do they take with them the stylist people to Christmas?
I agree it is very dark, and definitely I do not like the handbag

I don't get It? Once upon a time their ensembles were graded on appropriate royal wear, whether their hats were a hit or a miss and if the ensemble 'fit the wearers style'. This year it seems the bar has moved to "is it Christmasy enough?

The poor women are being judged as to whether they look like like appropriate ornaments for the Tree. Purely decorative and little account given to their personal style. They have been reduced to show pony status. How very sad and in no way is it the reason for the season!

I don't follow other royal ladies often, so I don't know what is the norm. But if it's what's described here, this whole thing with Meghan has been weird. The conversation about Christmasy enough is not just limited to Christmas with her. It's almost every damn occasion. It's never "festive" enough for some.

Last edited:

In the time I’ve been here, it’s been mostly about posters own likes/dislikes. Best I can tell. It’s a fashion thread. I see no real difference from this year to any other year.

Nothing new about outfits being too dark or too bright.

Very sad but true! :sad:

I don't follow on royal ladies often, so I don't know what is the norm. But it's what's described here, this whole thing with Meghan has been weird. The conversation about Christmasy enough is not just limited to Christmas with her. It's almost every damn occasion. It's never "festive" enough for some.
Perhaps because most royalists like conservative british style of dressing and Meghan still try to follow parisian chic rules (monochrome dressing or max two colours, muted colours like black, navy, grey, beige, white etc., simplicity, less is more, little jewellery, messy hair etc.)?
https://en.vogue.fr/fashion/fashion-news/diaporama/who-is-meghan-markles-french-style-icon/47495

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom