The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meghan came to the royal family with her own vast wardrobe and anything new is paid by her father-in-law or Harry. Nobody have to be concerned about cost.

I don't put much value on these lists as they are miss out the cost of the bespoke pieces, include the costs of the jewellery which should be seen as "investment" pieces and should be amortised over a long time, and in general, can be riddled with inaccuracies.

However, it is clear to all that Meghan has spent a lot of money on clothes recently. All of this can be justified as she builds a work wardrobe for her royal career. However, it will be interesting to see if the costs reduce in subsequent years and if she actively uses the current pieces over the years.

How is it not "feminist" to have your working wardrobe be an expense paid for by the firm for which you are working? It is a business expense, like any other business expense.

From what I have read, this is the clothing Charles pays for, the "work" clothing. Harry & Meghan pay for her regular wardrobe.

When I came to this post, it seems like it took the words right out of my mind on the post I was going to make in reply to this issue. :D

No one bats an eyelash when big corporations hand some of their representatives a open ended credit card as an expense account for the work they do for the corporation. This is the same situation with Charles funding Harry and Meghan's work expenses.

I will not take to heart any report on how much something costs either. We are told what Josephine Public would have to pay walking in off the street for that item. I've had it happen myself that as I was a regular and returning customer, the retail price of an item would be 50% higher than what I actually paid for it. Just how the PoW's office handles all of this we'll never know. If Harry wasn't Charles' son and perhaps Edward's, these expenses would also still be made on an "expense account" but by the Queen.

Let's be real here. Would any of you actually take on a job somewhere where you only do not get paid a paycheck but are expected to purchase out of your own pocket and wear clothing according to the job's "dress code"? I'd doubt there'd be many applications for that job. :D

Meghan is working full time for the monarchy now and they're in the business of serving the people. She is building up a working wardrobe that will serve her for a very long time. She isn't required to wear a "uniform" but has guidelines to follow and, IMO, she's doing it quite nicely so far. They're not sending the bills for their expenses to the government or the people they serve so I fail to see where the problem really is. ;)

I don't put much value on these lists as they are miss out the cost of the bespoke pieces, include the costs of the jewellery which should be seen as "investment" pieces and should be amortised over a long time, and in general, can be riddled with inaccuracies.

However, it is clear to all that Meghan has spent a lot of money on clothes recently. All of this can be justified as she builds a work wardrobe for her royal career. However, it will be interesting to see if the costs reduce in subsequent years and if she actively uses the current pieces over the years.

Well, I can already answer that as yes given she’s already been recycling them. Some of the pieces to a point where I’m already bored because I’ve seen them so many times, even though I LOVED some when I first saw it. In fact, the recycling started while she was still engaged.

Well, I can already answer that as yes given she’s already been recycling them. Some of the pieces to a point where I’m already bored because I’ve seen them so many times, even though I LOVED some when I first saw it. In fact, the recycling started while she was still engaged.

Her jewelry definitely drive up her costs and its her small pieces are not always to my own taste, but she loves them! She re-wears her Pippa Small pieces quite often.

Her jewelry definitely drive up her costs and its her small pieces are not always to my own taste, but she loves them! She re-wears her Pippa Small pieces quite often.

I was thinking more of the Birks Snowstorm and Aquazurra Deneuve. I just realized the Aquazurra pair also comes in flats. I hope we don't start seeing them. :lol: I LOVED those shoes when she first started wearing them. I still love them. But it's like this again? I love her Pippa Small gold leaf earrings.

Now, if she wants to wear those yellow diamond chandelier earrings over and over and over and over again, I won't ever complain. :lol:

Last edited:
As a Man what bothers me MOST is that a 'feminist' is apparently ok with having such extravagance bankrolled by her Father-in law, who also picks up a not inconsiderable clothing tab for his other Daughter-in-law AND [justifiably] his wife...

Which looks less than feminist to me..

There's a lot of truth in what you are saying

And to those who are jumping up and down in defence of MM has it occured that she would do herself a lot of good if she wore something twice every now and then. Her choices are a little too extravagant (even if you take the DM's list with a grain of salt)

As for her own vast wardrobe I haven't seen any of it. Her clothes weren't all that wonderful when she was going out with Harry.

A little bit of humility in her choices would go a long way.....

And to those who are jumping up and down in defence of MM has it occured that she would do herself a lot of good if she wore something twice every now and then. Her choices are a little too extravagant (even if you take the DM's list with a grain of salt)

As for her own vast wardrobe I haven't seen any of it. Her clothes weren't all that wonderful when she was going out with Harry.

She have worn thing several times. Even the dress she wore to The Queen’s Christmas Lunch at Buckingham Palace was something she had worn before.

She have worn thing several times. Even the dress she wore to The Queen’s Christmas Lunch at Buckingham Palace was something she had worn before.

Yes, your'e right about the Christmas lunch but that's the only one I think.

Regardless, she doesn't do it enough and she rarely favours British designers which is not going down well.

She would have done a lot for her image if she had made a few wise choices at the start. Say what you may about a positive image with press and public, MM needs it (as do all the BRF) to be able to support the causes she chooses.

Depending on one's taste, Meghan could rock a $2.00 potato sack if it was styled right. Of course there'd be a huge debate about the brand of potatoes but..... I digress. :D

No matter what she buys or how often she wears them, if she was being too overly extravagant with her wardrobe, Charles would be the one to register a complaint as its his money she's spending. He very well could have said "Go for the best" too. Of course we'd never hear about it.

In this regard, the public has absolutely no say in the matter but we're the ones that keep an eagle eye on her wardrobe and its a pleasant past time to be involved in. I just go by what I like or don't like and the price tag isn't a huge draw for me at all.

I also have to admit to being influenced by royal ladies' wardrobes. Because of Meghan's penchant for the asymmetrical and because I really liked another royal lady's tartan skirt, I fell in love with an asymmetrical tartan plaid/black tunic top that I purchased immediately on the spot.

Regardless, she doesn't do it enough and she rarely favours British designers which is not going down well.

She would have done a lot for her image if she had made a few wise choices at the start. Say what you may about a positive image with press and public, MM needs it (as do all the BRF) to be able to support the causes she chooses.

It's hardly been only one. She's worn several clothing on repeat even though this is her first year as a royal.

Some of the things we see Meghan wearing is from her own wardrobe and some new stuff. The public is getting a chance to see some of her old wardrobe for the first time. She’s not spending a lot as it may seem.

I don’t make it habit to criticize the British royals on their wardrobe, it’s part of their job to look nice when on duty.

The family have been trying to update their wardrobe lately. Trust me....they need the update. Also, none of the British royals spend large sum of money on their wardrobe compared to the other royal counterparts. The British royals dress rather dull and old, if you as me.

Last edited:
Well, no one would be interested in seeing or discussing the wardrobe of the daughter-in-law of a plumber or fishmonger! Of course her clothes are going to be expensive and luxurious.

Umm, it has only been just over a year since the engagement announcement and 7 1/2 months since the wedding. Four seasons for clothing.

We are just now in the same season she began doing any engagements...and now she is 6 months or so pregnant. What to you expect her to re-wear? She has worn some older pieces of clothing but she probably only fits into a few things from last year or before at this point.

And people don't want to see the same thing she wore last week.

Last edited:
Even though Charles has allowed spending money for Meghan’s clothing and other purchases, just maybe she has purchased some of these clothes herself. She came into the family with money she earned so she may be spending some of it on her clothes. Anything is possible.

I also remember people making comments about Kate spending a lot of money on clothes after she joined the family. Kate also matured and changed some of clothing choices. She now has an expanded wardrobe and will continue to buy and reuse. Both ladies need to build up their closets for many different engagements. Meghan got pregnant so she had maternity and pre pregnancy clothles to buy almost at the same time, in about a years time. Making comments about clothing spending is a little unfair IMO....actually Meghan is wrong if she does not but ‘new’ and is ‘wrong’ if she repeats wearing favorites....a no win IMO

The real lady that has repeated wearing items is Princess Anne. She surprises me when she wears something from years ago. Not only is the clothing still “in with the times” but Princess Anne can still fit into her clothes years later! She is very frugal....and always a surprise!

Of Course The Queen repeats and wears new. No one says a thing about her spending....and people have commented on other Queens.

I guess this is just a topic for all of us to keeps discussing....just human nature.

Some of the things we see Meghan wearing is from her own wardrobe and some new stuff. The public is getting a chance to see some of her old wardrobe for the first time. She’s not spending a lot as it may seem.

I don’t make it habit to criticize the British royals on their wardrobe, it’s part of their job to look nice when on duty.

The family have been trying to update their wardrobe lately. Trust me....they need the update. Also, none of the British royals spend large sum of money on their wardrobe compared to the other royal counterparts. The British royals dress rather dull and old, if you as me.

Do you have any examples or pics of clothes from her own wardrobe or clothes she has worn twice? It'd be interesting to see.

Do you have any examples or pics of clothes from her own wardrobe or clothes she has worn twice? It'd be interesting to see.

Just off top of my head, the McQueen suit that she wore to an engagement with Harry and then worn again when they went to meet the Australian PM while CHOGM was happening. And the Beradi dress she first worn while going to watch Harry play polo in May 2017 while they were still dating, and worn again in NZ. There is more, but I’m going to dinner now.

Again this is the first year. And while not repeating most of your wardrobe in the first year is difficult for us normal folks, heavy repeats in a year would unusual for royal ladies.

I don't have one but I know a fan on twitter compiled one and sent it to one of the rags (DF, Mirror, etc) who wrote an article talking about this and author had to correct themselves when she was presented with facts. Meghan has many new pieces but she has also reworn many items she already owned and some that were recently purchased.

I am sure if you just went to one of the many Meghan fashion blogs they would likely have "also worn..." sections and you can see.

Anyways not shocked by the numbers especially since they included many pieces of jewelry which the admit have no clue of was previously owned, was gifted or was recent purchased. Oddly they are the most expensive pieces. It is her 1st year and she is building her wardrobe.

Those shoes you see her wearing are from her old closet from back in Toronto. Some of those pants suits, purses and all that stuff. I said it before and I say it again; the woman came into the royal family with her own money and her own vast wardrobe. Of course, some stuff will be new. Nothing wrong with that. She’s a senior royal and she need the new wardrobe to do her job.

Take a look back Meghan’s old pics and old room and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Today is the 5th of January, and I thought all these discussions about clothing expenses was argued ad finitum last year. All explained and done and dusted. Every view point put forward and dissected.

We wouldn't have to Defend Meghan quite so much if misleading and biased reporting wasn't so prevalent in the media.

Thankfully our new Duchess is able to block out all the white noise written about her and she is getting on with her life long job, ie; being part of a Royal Family. And she is doing a splendid job of it.

I haven't always liked everything she wore, but she is finding her way, and if she likes it and feels comfortable with wearing a certain outfit I might not like then good for her.
Discussing costs of clothing seems a waste of time to me as We have No Idea what the arrangements are when it comes to clothing. Charles doesn't look too worried about it either.

Harrys allowance will increase when the baby arrives, as they will need a nanny etc.
When I see a Princess at an event I want her to Look like a Princess. Or in this case Duchess. I don't care what an item costs. I think - Oh doesn't she look fabulous.

Last edited:
Meghan’s background is certainly different. No doubt there. And she has and will have her own way of handling things. Like anyone else.

We’ll have to disagree on her clothing though. I think Meghan’s frequently more muted outfits are Meghan being Meghan more than anything. It’s what she likes. In her own pre royal words. Sure- she’s blending her tastes to what’s appropriate for her role, but so has everyone else imo.

Both she and Catherine do a nice job of being both themselves and appropriate.

Yes, but by this point, I'm not sure what we are disagreeing on. ;) As I said, I think Meghan's style aesthetic is different (just as her personality is different) and she's going about things in a different way than Kate and other royal ladies, which is to be expected since they are all unique individuals.

If I may make one more point here. Re Meghans clothes before pregnancy.

Meghan is Not wearing ripped jeans as her every day wear any longer.
Her life now consists of many meetings where there are no cameras. So what is a new outfit for us to see is possibly something she has worn many times as her everyday wear on official palace business.
And of course as others have pointed out, the Duchess is Building up a Working Wardrobe. These items will be worn again and again. We just won't see it.

I like Meghan's hair, up and out of her face, hand bag, coat and shoes. I'm going to reiterate my old complaint and say I wish she would wear colours more often, especially on what looks to be a rainy and grey London day. A splash of red or yellow would have been great instead of a black dress. However, Meghan is dressed for work and to concentrate on her new charity (and congrats to her for her new patronages!)

The Hatch dress is being identified as the same dress that Meghan wore to the ACU meeting a couple of months ago. They previously thought she might have worn a Hugo Boss top that’s similar, but it’s definitely this Hatch dress.

I LOVE the earrings. They´re stellar. She looks really good today.

The Hatch dress is being identified as the same dress that Meghan wore to the ACU meeting a couple of months ago. They previously thought she might have worn a Hugo Boss top that’s similar, but it’s definitely this Hatch dress.

Our recycling duchess :whistling: I actually thought it was the dress she wore to the Memorial with Harry (the one where we only got grainy photos of them leaving.)

Is the coat a repeat?

I love today's look. As always, her accessory game (shoes, bags, earrings) is top notch

I like the shoes. Everything else is quite standard. I really don’t like her hair pulled back that tight.

The coat is Oscar DeLa Renta and it’s a repeat from Melbourne.

Last edited:
I still think her heels are too high. She walks without bending her legs. Anyway just another drab outfit in keeping with Meghan’s drab style.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom