The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scanlan Theodore burgundy peplum top today. They are both wearing poppies.

The blouse is beautiful but I would prefer a skirt.

And a full picture of the Duchess tonight

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqgdP3nXcAAVsYM.jpg

I don't like the dress. I don't like the color or the style.

She should wear whatever shoes she's comfortable with and these particular heels are hot! She wore them again today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqjW0z0XQAAJI2Q?format=jpg

I really like what I can see of the dress as well.

A very beautiful and elegant look. Love the color.

While I agree and prefer somber as well, royals don't. There seems to be a difference between attending a memorial ceremony and visiting a memorial statue. This is the second of the two and doesn't seem to call for the same.

The queen in quite light for instance at Irish memorial for WWI soldiers
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ers-who-died-in-first-world-war-30384111.html

Kate in pink at 9/11 memorial
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...orial-New-York-City-brave-gloomy-weather.html
Didn't know about the Queen's light blue, but at least it's light blue. I've always found the pink coat to be quite offensive.

I agree with many of you the Burgundy is a favourite, and a great colour for her.

Meghan did not change outfits for the war memorial-same coat and dress as arrival in NZ.

Meghan did not change outfits for the war memorial-same coat and dress as arrival in NZ.

I would have preferred a different dress for a memorial. While I don't find the length bad for most events, for a war memorial I find it too short.

But at least a more somber palette.

I would have preferred a different dress for a memorial. While I don't find the length bad for most events, for a war memorial I find it too short.

But at least a more somber palette.

Her coat was buttoned up and tied up in front. You can still see the color of the dress from the front, but only where the coat doesn't cover, which is between her chest and neck.

The ASOS dress was quite random. I wonder if that's something someone just got her during the trip to give her a break with tighter fits as baby Sussex is just growing by the day?

Her coat was buttoned up and tied up in front. You can still see the color of the dress from the front, but only where the coat doesn't cover, which is between her chest and neck.

The ASOS dress was quite random. I wonder if that's something someone just got her during the trip to give her a break with tighter fits as baby Sussex is just growing by the day?

Yes just went and saw photos for myself. Glad she gad the coat done ip at the memorial. It looks more polished for the event. Appropriate. Really liking the coat more I see of it.

If it was something quickly got, dress, I think it would likely have been a local designer. I think they likely packed some last minute pieces in case of emergency, not knowing when she would pop. And this may be one.

:previous: Regardless of when they got it, I think Meghan is relieved to be in maternity wear. I keep thinking back to when they went to the farewell ceremony in Fiji. Before she sat down, she gave Baby Sussex a rub. You KNOW that dress wasn't comfortable.

And before anyone complain about appropriateness, they are all dressed for the reception.

One of the fashion blogs is calling it midnight blue for whatever reason. I'll update if we have official word.

I really like this dress. This is how you do a sheen in this century. And is the side material different? I'd have to look closer. I wonder what shoes is she wearing?

Dress by Gabriela Hearst. Remember the green satin bag in Sussex? Same designer.

Last edited:
Meghan has changed into a formal black dress.

I'm sure some will complain about the color (what else is new [emoji38]) but I'm liking this look very much. She looks beautiful.
If it's not the color it will be the length if not the length it will be not wearing a necklace, if its not the necklace it will be "why isn't her hair up".

... I look forward to seeing more variety and some surprises.

Ah, I got my wish and then some. My cup runneth over. Meghan not only wore red with white polka dots on Fraser Island, she changed into that lovely red dress with embroidered cutout detail at the bodice and waist when she & Harry landed in Tonga. I haven't been able to keep up with all the changes of outfits and their busy itinerary. It's been fun checking the Meghan fashion blogs every so often and viewing pictures, which has been like opening delightful Christmas gifts. You never know what you will find inside. :flowers:

Well, the pops of color have been quite wonderful and appropriate for the South Pacific, especially the warmer weather. So we've seen black and navy in the beginning, and green. Then some white, olive, more green, blue and green striped maxi beach dress, a plaid trench, a tan trench, the red with white polka dots dress, the Tonga red dress, the red and blue flower print in Fiji with pom poms at the waist and fresh flowers in her hair, the lovely Fijian azure blue cape evening gown, the gorgeous white sheath evening dress with diamonds. The Jason Wu kelly green dress, another striped casual dress at one departure ceremony, and the green tuxedo dress at the Invictus games. I also enjoyed the deep red top paired with the black skintight pants she wore earlier. Her shoes and accessories have been fun too. It was so cool seeing Meghan wearing Diana PofW's aquamarine ring again, and the butterfly earrings that were Diana's too.

My favorite look is the Oscar de la Renta bird-themed evening dress in black and white tulle. The deep red midi wrap dress was nice too. The casual striped sun dress while on Fraser Island was definitely Meghan's vibe. The Duchess has been looking very much at ease and in her element. And the speeches she's given have been well-delivered and thoughtful.

I've seen comments here and there on the Internet with some fans wanting this or that choice to be different, and not liking her hair with this or her shoes with that. Me, I'm perfectly happy at this point, and truly satisfied with having seen so much color and variety from Meghan on tour. It's certainly been a smashing success. There's been enough M&H sightings to last me till Christmas. But probably after they arrive home and rest up for a week or so, they will continue attending public events in November, and then take time off in December ahead of Christmas at Sandringham. I heard that a planned visit to the U.S. early next year has been cancelled.

I'm pleased with how Meghan seems to be pacing herself and seemingly feeling a lot more comfortable in incorporating her casual edge with royal sophistication, always in an elegant and appropriate way. She truly knows what suits her body, what she likes and what colors and styles are best for her. I was only wanting to see more pops of color and intermixing of some variety with the black. I'm sure she was being strategic about taking a lot of the focus off of her clothes and onto the projects and communities she and Harry had been visiting prior to their tour (and also not wanting to clash with other royal ladies in terms of color choices which they tend to coordinate during official events where many family members are present). So we will see how Meghan's sartorial choices for her pregnancy will transpire as she continues to grow, literally and figuratively. ;)

Last edited:
If it's not the color it will be the length if not the length it will be not wearing a necklace, if its not the necklace it will be "why isn't her hair up".

You miss the heels:ROFLMAO:.

Personally not fond of the black dress, I never like such straps design. Just want to pull them down to be an off shoulder dress or pull them up to be a normal strap dress :lol: But I like the design of using different materials.

:lol:

Nice counting of things that were previously worn. They are even counting the same things more than once in the article if she's worn it more than once on the trip. :lol: BTW, I've seen that Oscar de la Renta go anywhere between 5000-18000 depending on who is reporting. :lol:

It's so very pathetic. And so very obvious where it comes from when you compare...

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...in_another_fashion_hit_-a-2_1540693731261.jpg

Absolutely adore this dress, the colour is perfect and it fits her like a glove. Some of the best outfits of this tour have been relegated to on and off planes which is such a shame as the material of this dress looks quite light. The shoes are hideous, the ankle strap is too big for such a small ankle.

The trench Coat , just doesn't look right for me. The flaps on the shoulders make Meghan look bigger than she is, open the coat is fine. The Black Dress, I guess was picked to go straight to the memorial but I think there could have been a bit more about it.

The Black Evening Dress, is very elegant, but again nothing interesting about it other than it's and LBD. A brooch would have been lovely or perhaps some detail on it. She had an audience with a woman dressed in a beautiful white and rose covered dress really stood out.

It's so very pathetic. And so very obvious where it comes from when you compare...

Meghan is not the first Royal Lady this sort of article has been written about. Those who have followed Royalty for a long time have seen it before.
Tours are the perfect opportunity for this kind of article since there are so many engagements and changes of outfits.

I bet Harry’s clothing for this tour wasn’t cheap- he wore some nice looking outfits and a number of suits that were not “that blue suit.”

Last edited:
That plaid coat Meghan wore for arrival and the first engagements was lovely. It's a great pattern, cut and color on her, and was entirely appropriate for the weather and the activities. The black maternity dress? It was on the short side, but since she covered it 90% of the time (based on the photos) it was just something to wear underneath the coat, so I hope it was very comfy for her.

The black dress for the evening reception was fine, another LBD, nothing spectacular, but serviceable. I can't get excited about it one way or the other, but it worked.

Meghan is not the first Royal Lady this sort of article has been written about. Those who have followed Royalty for a long time have seen it before.
Tours are the perfect opportunity for this kind of article since there are so many engagements and changes of outfits.

I bet Harry’s clothing for this tour wasn’t cheap- he wore some nice looking outfits and a number of suits that were not “that blue suit.”

I wonder when "the blue suit" will make a reappearance? You know it's still lurking somewhere....

The DM could have just cut and pasted the articles they have written about Catherine on similar tours, substituting the relevant photos and designers. Critical articles totting up the speculative costs of clothing, double counting jewelry and previously owned items, etc. are all standard operating procedure, not especially targeting Meghan. The tabloids are equal opportunity rabble-rousers when it comes to the clothing of royal ladies. Anything for the clicks.

Those Beige shoes with the thick ankle straps are hideous - one is reminded of the 'ankle monitor' straps Prisoner's 'on release' wear...

:previous:
Those Beige shoes with the thick ankle straps are hideous - one is reminded of the 'ankle monitor' straps Prisoner's 'on release' wear...
Reminded me of shackles

The evening dress is navy, look at her next to the pm in black. The dress is just ok, the jewelry livens it up.
The plaid trench and hairdo for arrival and war memorial were very nice and good silhouette.

It looks colder in my than oz, is it?

Last edited:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...in_another_fashion_hit_-a-2_1540693731261.jpg

Absolutely adore this dress, the colour is perfect and it fits her like a glove. Some of the best outfits of this tour have been relegated to on and off planes which is such a shame as the material of this dress looks quite light. The shoes are hideous, the ankle strap is too big for such a small ankle.

The trench Coat , just doesn't look right for me. The flaps on the shoulders make Meghan look bigger than she is, open the coat is fine. The Black Dress, I guess was picked to go straight to the memorial but I think there could have been a bit more about it.

The Black Evening Dress, is very elegant, but again nothing interesting about it other than it's and LBD. A brooch would have been lovely or perhaps some detail on it. She had an audience with a woman dressed in a beautiful white and rose covered dress really stood out.

I actually agree with all of this. Most of the outfits I’ve liked have come from when she was arriving/departing. I loved the the red dress she wore from Self Portrait..probably one of my favorite dresses of the tour. I’m hoping we see that one again.

The beige shoes with the ankle straps are beyond ugly.

While I agree and prefer somber as well, royals don't. There seems to be a difference between attending a memorial ceremony and visiting a memorial statue. This is the second of the two and doesn't seem to call for the same.

The queen in quite light for instance at Irish memorial for WWI soldiers
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ers-who-died-in-first-world-war-30384111.html

Kate in pink at 9/11 memorial
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...orial-New-York-City-brave-gloomy-weather.html

And don’t forget Camilla in pink and the Queen in flowered print at Ground Zero. I’m sure there are more examples, but royals don’t always stick to somber colors when visiting memorial sites.

Camilla
Queen

Exactly. They’ve written the same exact articles about all of Kate’s tours. The DM loves to keep a tally of the amount of money the younger members of the BRF spend on clothes.

I wonder when "the blue suit" will make a reappearance? You know it's still lurking somewhere....

The DM could have just cut and pasted the articles they have written about Catherine on similar tours, substituting the relevant photos and designers. Critical articles totting up the speculative costs of clothing, double counting jewelry and previously owned items, etc. are all standard operating procedure, not especially targeting Meghan. The tabloids are equal opportunity rabble-rousers when it comes to the clothing of royal ladies. Anything for the clicks.

Ha, ha good one about dm

JMO - but I agree with you about the reason the ASOS dress showed up. On the plane for comfort, or when another planned dress was spoiled or suddenly too tight - that black could be put under any coat. And it can be reworn.

And that trench is one of my three favorite things on the tour. In her wheelhouse, but I am loving that plaid as a step out from the solids she favors. And that is no cliche plaid that we have seen over and over.

I actually agree with all of this. Most of the outfits I’ve liked have come from when she was arriving/departing. I loved the the red dress she wore from Self Portrait..probably one of my favorite dresses of the tour. I’m hoping we see that one again.

The beige shoes with the ankle straps are beyond ugly.

And don’t forget Camilla in pink and the Queen in flowered print at Ground Zero. I’m sure there are more examples, but royals don’t always stick to somber colors when visiting memorial sites.

Camilla
Queen

Exactly. They’ve written the same exact articles about all of Kate’s tours. The DM loves to keep a tally of the amount of money the younger members of the BRF spend on clothes.

Yes there are plenty of examples :flowers: I just used the two that came to mind to illustrate royals not sticking somber colors to see a monument.

Tonight's dress:

I love the overall design, especially the shoulders. Adds some interest. :flowers:

The length I am not keen on. Seems odd length, could be a bit shorter.

She is wearing jewelry. She had a necklace by British designer Jessica McCormack. It's a Maori inspired piece. And her Birks snowflake earrings.

I'd have liked a brooch but she still looks elegant.

This is her necklace
https://www.jessicamccormack.com/jewellery/necklaces/tattoo-black-gold-pendant

As for the article nothing new. Same goes for the how much they spent article. See it every tour. They always ignore cost wise the old pieces already owned. And here they ignore the pieces she repeats.

Last edited:
The burgundy peplum top is very pretty, Meghan looks good. I think the black pants were a nice addition to the look, they look comfortable and suitable for that indoors invictus event. Great hair.

The pale green dress at the closing ceremony...the dress itself is not bad, but it looks horrible on Meghan, it is shapeless and unflaterring. A big no for me, and I hope she never uses it again. I dislike the shoes.

At NZ today, the departure dress is lovely, it looks perfect on her and I love the color. But...those shoes again. That thick ankle straps are ugly. And they seem to hurt the feet, at least is what I feel when I see Meghan wear them. Sure they are not the most comfortable pair she has.

The patterned coat is not my cut of tea, especially open, but when buttoned up, it's not that bad and I think it suits Meghan's taste in fashion. But the black dress underneath is boring. Love the earrings.

The evening look is quite alright, she looks beautiful, pretty hair, loveee the shoes, finally one high heel that is open (I wonder if royal ladies can't wear open pumps? Even on summer they don't wear it often...). The dress itself is not outstanding, but it is quite elegant and love that sleek fabric. The design is lovely too.

I was just thinking the same thing: what I can see of the dress, I like! Definitely like the color.

The burgundy dress is gorgeous and so appropriate in its styling. I wish there were some better views of it. My faves:
1. burgundy wrap dress; 2. white column evening gown with diamond beading on the shoulders; 3. lovely red dress with embroidered cutouts in Tonga; 4. striped maxi beach dress; 5. deep red dress with white polka dots on Fraser Island; 6. Serena Williams blazer and Outland denim fitted pants; 7. burgundy top over the same black pants; 8. Fijian blue cape evening gown; 9. tan trench coat and black dress with buttons down the side, and flat black slip-on shoes; 10. navy dress with aqua blue color block hem; 11. plaid trench coat over black maternity mini-dress; 12. reddish pink and blue flower print dress with pom-pom tie at the waist and espadrilles; 13. olive tuxedo dress by Antoni Berardi*; and 14. tops on my list: the Oscar de la Renta bird-themed black and white tulle evening dress. (*Berardi's sleeveness, navy asymmetrical hem dress with zippered back is one of my absolute favorite Meghan dresses worn during the courtship -- we saw this gorgeous dress in May 2017 at one of Meghan's first unofficial public outings, a polo match with Harry & friends).

On the South Pacific tour, Duchess Meghan's shoes, jewelry and clutches have been wonderful, minimalist choices that I feel are always just right. And her changing hairstyles I always enjoy -- she employs such versatility and laid-back unflustered pizzazz with her hair. She has been doing a good job with her makeup as well.

I don’t like the shoes though. The strap/buckle just seems too big. Someone upthread called it clunky IIRC. That seems apt imo.

Many here don't seem to like the buckled heels worn with the burgundy wrap dress. I think the shoes are quite pretty. I love the buckled straps around her ankles and the entire look of the shoes on Meghan. She has slim ankles and slim legs, and so the heels with the buckles look good on her IMO, especially in the light beige color with the long burgundy dress. It's interesting how we all see things slightly differently. But in the end, Duchess Meghan seems to have a very good handle on what works for her, her small-boned frame, her body, her aesthetic. Her lovely, sexy long legs and delicate but strong ankles and feet can carry off such pretty buckled shoes. These shoes, of course, would not look good on everyone.

In particular, on this tour it seems to me that Meghan appears very comfortable now sartorially, in terms of having settled on a relaxed and easy style melding who she is with royal sophistication. She does not seem to feel bound by any strict adherence to limiting royal sartorial rules that would keep her from expressing who she is as a person. To me, in what she wears, she's been exuding a sense of fulfillment, gratitude and peace with her marriage, her pregnancy, her new family, and her new high profile role in life.

... The black dress for the evening reception was fine, another LBD, nothing spectacular, but serviceable. I can't get excited about it one way or the other, but it worked.

Yes, it's back to basic black. But I think it's a pretty dress with interesting styling details, and it's appropriate for the occasion. I do hope she will continue to vary her basic go-to colors duriing this pregnancy, and that the pops of more color during this trip down under won't end up being an exception. Fingers-crossed.

Whoever has been tying her belts, on this dress, the blue shirtwaist and the olive green striped, is doing a perfect job of it

I would bet that Duchess Meghan ties her own belts. ;)

When you are pregnant you can wear the shoes you want, Meghan is the one pregnant and she wears the shoes she wants and makes up her own mind about what risks she is worried about .

I actually think those buckle shoes hide how thin her legs are and unfortunately I don't know any exercises to beef up ankles. [emoji23]

Yes, Meghan can carry off nearly every choice she makes with ease and grace. I would imagine that her yoga practice since the age of 7, and working out on a regular schedule is what helps provide her with an easy sense of graceful body awareness. In addition, Meghan's actor training and modeling stints would further add to her bodily awareness and knowing how to carry herself with strong yet graceful, erect posture, i.e., walking with shoulders down and back, head high and chin tucked inward rather than jutting out. In addition, dancers and models learn to tuck in their buttocks which helps strengthen one's core and assists in gliding with control and grace, which helps enhance what you wear.

I've heard that wearing high heels frequently requires excercising one's feet and arches (similar to the excercises ballet dancers do in shaping and strengthening the arches in their feet). It's also having strong leg and thigh muscles that helps in walking in high heels. Plus, Meghan is said to wear a slightly larger size shoe so they are not pinching her feet. And I'm sure she carries flats to slip into on the plane and in cars, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom