"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read, have no idea if true, that all communication for now on with the Sussex's will be handled by The Firm Lawyers.

Harry will not be able to communicate directly with King Charles, Prince William OR their Aides.

I guess the straw that broke the camels back was finally breached......

And regarding sad treatment of Pat the Matron it kinda makes sense in Harry's Modus Operandi......
He is a bully. He repeatedly delighted in mocking and demeaning a disabled woman who he viewed TOO, as beneath him in social status.

So why would he care if Meghan was bullying Staff ? He didn't.
They are just the little People to serve him and his resplendent wife.

Last edited:
It doesn't really fit with his image of Just call me Harry, Im just an ordinary chap who wants to help people?
Didnt he say in his first interview or podcast that William was being a snob because he warned him to be careful about Meghan? isn't there an implicaton that he and Meg are the left leaning royals who dont want privilege and curtseying and titles? but it seems that he doesnt mind laughing and bullying a woman of middle age, who is plain and not well, and who has to earn her living

Last edited:
It doesn't really fit with his image of Just call me Harry, Im just an ordinary chap who wants to help people?
We both know this ship has long sailed. It did the day he whined and patted himself on the back for being this generous to oblige his family's will and go to Nepal after the disastrous earthquake despite being so, so very tired and sick of all of it. What is a disabled matron whose his noble pre-teen self didn't get horny for!

It does, however, fit the image of Harry calling his military colleague “our little P--- friend”.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might not have noticed but the group of friends who watched the wedding with me did. We all thought it wasn't a nice thing to do.

Well, I also remember noticing Meghan's coat and thinking she could be pregnant. It was obvious enough I'm sure many other people noticed as well.

There may well have been conversations but the problem could have been the reaction of H&M. They may have seen it as a slight rather than understand the context. It's well known that these sort of conversations had been happening long before MM joined the rf.

To be blunt I don't think H understood what he was told.
I would agree that Harry most likely doesn’t understand the nuances. And if he didn’t get that he needed to ask HLM permission to marry Meghan ??? It’s reported that he’s not very bright but this blows my mind!:ohmy:

Well, I also remember noticing Meghan's coat and thinking she could be pregnant. It was obvious enough I'm sure many other people noticed as well.

It was glaringly obvious. I remember being shocked by how blatant it was considering the RF's long standing tradition of scheduling important events and announcements so one doesn't outshine the other.

Since Eugenie has still been on good terms with them (at least before this book), she must have been a good sport about it, but if Kate had gotten pregnant just a few months later than she did with Louis, I can't imagine Meghan being so generous of spirit if her new SIL showed up at her wedding dressed like that.
I haven't been able to watch the Colbert interview. Just the news articles alone regarding the farce it was has made me hesitate.

But it doesn't seem like he was trying to get her to be less sour. He said he did it to amuse his friends. The part about her laughing if she caught him aka he usually did it behind her back, so not to make her laugh, is a classical, "See? She laughed. It wasn't this bad. I didn't do anything wrong."

I agree about the cheeky part, though. I've often recounted the puppy video here. Charles and Diana grinning like their precious offspring is so cute while he's manhandling the puppy - and when William got him to stop, Diana scolded him. What could be expected of Harry when he was indulged like this in his formative years?

He said she was "otherwise-miserable" and that he was most pleased when she laughed with them, because apparently no other form of behavior changed hers. We don't know if she was frightened or defensive, but from Harry's POV she wasn't particularly nice to him or anyone he knew, ever. If he was solely doing it to give his mates a laugh, he could have (and probably would have) said that they just laughed more when she screamed at them or punished them. But winning Pat over for a second...? Why not?

I'm not saying prep schoolers are emotional geniuses or that Harry actually thought he was consciously being benevolent, but he was trying for a form of limited improvement with a very spare toolkit.

Now that he tells the story as a grown man with no reflection, regrets, or empathy... well, yeah. He's still stuck in prep school.

And maybe if he makes enough fuss and faces behind his family's back, eventually, they'll give in and laugh with him too. Right, Harold?

I read, have no idea if true, that all communication for now on with the Sussex's will be handled by The Firm Lawyers.

Harry will not be able to communicate directly with King Charles, Prince William OR their Aides.

God, I hope this is true. The perfect way to stop them from selling everything Harry's family says or texts or writes to them.

I would agree that Harry most likely doesn’t understand the nuances. And if he didn’t get that he needed to ask HLM permission to marry Meghan ??? It’s reported that he’s not very bright but this blows my mind!:ohmy:

DOes it say this in the book? THat Harry didnt realise that he had to ask permission to get married?

I guess the last thing I will post today is another little gem from The GMA Michael Strahan Interview yesterday. Harry's sense of self importance, and by extension Meghan's is simply off the charts.

He said.....He genuinely believed that the Monarchy should continue ( how nice ! ) BUT that there WAS ONLY a place for it in the 21Century IF it modernized. (Yep, he went there ! )
He then said that The Royals had missed a HUGE opportunity to modernise through what Meghan had represented as a biracial woman.
So there you have it.
The only way in dimwit Harry's mind forward was by letting Harry and Meghan "carve out a PROGRESSIVE NEW ROLE in the Monarchy" as stated in the original Sussex Manifesto.

The ego, entitlement and delusions of grandeur of these two is simply unbelievable.

Last edited:
He said she was "otherwise-miserable" and that he was most pleased when she laughed with them, because apparently no other form of behavior changed hers. We don't know if she was frightened or defensive, but from Harry's POV she wasn't particularly nice to him or anyone he knew, ever. If he was solely doing it to give his mates a laugh, he could have (and probably would have) said that they just laughed more when she screamed at them or punished them. But winning Pat over for a second...? Why not?

I'm not saying prep schoolers are emotional geniuses or that Harry actually thought he was consciously being benevolent, but he was trying for a form of limited improvement with a very spare toolkit.

Now that he tells the story as a grown man with no reflection, regrets, or empathy... well, yeah. He's still stuck in prep school.

And maybe if he makes enough fuss and faces behind his family's back, eventually, they'll give in and laugh with him too. Right, Harold?

sorry are you trying to say that Harry was trying to amuse his matron by mocking her? Even as a kid, that just sounds silly, and now as an adult, to be still talking about her and gleefully recording how he made fun of her and sometimes she laughed, just shows him as still as heartless as he was as a kid.

Crown Princess Marie-Chantal has just posted an Instagram story depicting a shop window with several Spare books being exposed. What do you think she’s trying to say?

Why does Marie-Chantal feel she is entitled to comment on other Royal Families? She did it before after the Letizia/Sofia Easter incident in Mallorca and apparently is doing it again following the publication of Spare.

I haven't been able to watch the Colbert interview. Just the news articles alone regarding the farce it was has made me hesitate.

Colbert hasn't been filmed yet. It'll be in a couple of hours and broadcast at 11:35 EST tonight.

Why does Marie-Chantal feel she is entitled to comment on other Royal Families? She did it before after the Letizia/Sofia Easter incident in Mallorca and apparently is doing it again following the publication of Spare.

She IS enttitled to comment on other royal families. why not?

Harry claims his Aunt Sarah brought him an Xbox for his birthday in 1997, which Diana had apparently purchased just before he died. But the first Xbox console wasn't released until 2001.

Also, he describes how a courtier phoned him at Eton to tell him the Queen Mother had died, but the press is pointing out he was skiing in Klosters at the time.

He does mention having memory problems, but both of these things would have been easy to check. And I am reading these excerpts directly, in the epub of the actual book.

Can also confirm the 'needing permission to get married' story. He was surprised when ELF told him there were 'strict rules governing such things'.

Harry has shown no discretion or respect for other people's privacy or personal situations, so in this case I can't criticize MC.

DOes it say this in the book? THat Harry didnt realise that he had to ask permission to get married?

Yes, it does. From the book:

But then Elf said he’d need to do some fast digging, find out the protocols. There were strict rules governing such things.

Rules? Really?

He came back days later and said before doing anything I’d need to ask Granny’s permission.

I asked him if that was a real rule, or the kind we could work around.

Oh, no, it’s very real.

The interview with Colbert is tonight. As much as I love watching Stephen Colbert's show, I will not be tuning in tonight. He's never been a fan of the royals (his family is Irish, so I get why he feels that way) and I doubt he's going to chastise Harry for mocking his father, stepmother, and brother. It'll be another softball interview.

Interestingly, though, I watched last night (Tom Hanks was guest) and Stephen talked about Harry being on tonight and the audience response was...tepid.

I wonder if he will cancel out of Colbert tonight due to “concern” for the Montecito flooding. I have to believe that his property has been impacted.

In regards to the Easter incident, this may have been her way to publicly support her husband's aunt Queen Sofia. Though IMO any communication to Sofia should have bee private.

Harry claims his Aunt Sarah brought him an Xbox for his birthday in 1997, which Diana had apparently purchased just before he died. But the first Xbox console wasn't released until 2001.

Also, he describes how a courtier phoned him at Eton to tell him the Queen Mother had died, but the press is pointing out he was skiing in Klosters at the time.

He does mention having memory problems, but both of these things would have been easy to check. And I am reading these excerpts directly, in the epub of the actual book.

Can also confirm the 'needing permission to get married' story. He was surprised when ELF told him there were 'strict rules governing such things'.
No wonder Meghan knew very little of royal or UK life, as it seems Harry knew very litlte.

Harry claims they gave Bogart the dog up because press intrusion at Meghan's place changed his nature:

He’d been so traumatized by the siege of her house, by the constant ringing of the doorbell, that his demeanor changed when Meg was around. He’d become an aggressive guard dog. Meg’s neighbors had graciously agreed to adopt him.

Yes, it does. From the book:

But then Elf said he’d need to do some fast digging, find out the protocols. There were strict rules governing such things.

Rules? Really?

He came back days later and said before doing anything I’d need to ask Granny’s permission.

I asked him if that was a real rule, or the kind we could work around.

Oh, no, it’s very real.
thanks.. I am surprised because that makes it sound as if ELF wasn't too sure that Harry would need the queen's permission to get married, an Im sure he was not that foolish. Possibly he was trying to break it gently to Harry that he could not just do as he liked, in terms of marriage or public behaviiour.

The interview with Colbert is tonight. As much as I love watching Stephen Colbert's show, I will not be tuning in tonight. He's never been a fan of the royals (his family is Irish, so I get why he feels that way) and I doubt he's going to chastise Harry for mocking his father, stepmother, and brother. It'll be another softball interview.

Interestingly, though, I watched last night (Tom Hanks was guest) and Stephen talked about Harry being on tonight and the audience response was...tepid.

Thanks. I'm not a big TV watcher, so I don't know the usual schedules. It must have just been the previews I was reading about. The comment on corgis and imperialism and the photos of Harry doing shots just made me roll my eyes as I barely made it through the other interviews.

I don’t either. I do have an issue with the Sussexes inability to move on.

The racism issue with the media was and is a big deal. This, frankly, is not. But the Sussexes have made it one.

They weren't trying to prove anything, because they didn't create the screenshots.

I think the reason this episode rankles is because it feeds into negative stereotypes: diva, difficult, angry black woman. I don't know that they need to keep talking about it, but they've talked about it far less than the media has.

I'm listening to the book right now. Apparently, Willy had a dinner with Pa and Camilla, when Camilla mentioned something about wedding jitters to their dinner companions. Harry speculates that someone had overheard the conversation, and a rumor was born.

A reporter from the Guardian was interviewed on NPR this morning and describes the book like this ...

".... it's like a howl ... a primal scream ..."

One day Harry will look back with overwhelming regret ... of course, he'll probably write a book about it!

And regarding sad treatment of Pat the Matron it kinda makes sense in Harry's Modus Operandi......
He is a bully. He repeatedly delighted in mocking and demeaning a disabled woman who he viewed TOO, as beneath him in social status.

So why would he care if Meghan was bullying Staff ? He didn't.
They are just the little People to serve him and his resplendent wife.

One thing that crossed my mind over the past couple of days - does anyone think there are any circumstances that would lead to the BRF taking legal action against Harry and Meghan? I don’t have any knowledge of how this would work either in the US or the UK, so I don’t know if a lawsuit would only make sense in a movie about the BRF; maybe in real life it would always be more trouble for them than it’s worth, and certainly I don’t think there’s anything that’s come out in the book that would warrant anything like that now. But I’ve read a couple of articles from serious reporters/media that say the book is worse than what the BRF was expecting, even though their expectations were low to start, and I have to wonder at what point do options that were once unthinkable start to become a little less so?

At the very least I think if I was advising Charles and especially William I’d say all communication goes through the law firm, and probably would have been telling them that for awhile now.

Well, the two families appear to be very close. Not just because Prince Philip was a member of Greek royal family. King Constantin is Prince William's godfather. QEII was godmother to princess Theodora. Prince Philip and Princess Diana were godparents to prince Philippos. Prince William is godfather to Pavlos' son prince Constantine Alexios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom