"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page Six has also seen parts of the book. Harry will place some of the blame for the Nazi costume on William and Kate.

In one segment of the book, obtained by Page Six, Harry writes about choosing the outfit, revealing that it was a toss-up between two costumes: a pilot uniform or a Nazi uniform.

“I phoned Willy and Kate, asked what they thought. Nazi uniform, they said,” Harry writes, adding that when he went home and tried it on for them. “They both howled. Worse than Willy’s leotard outfit! Way more ridiculous! Which, again, was the point.”

Harry, now 38, is expected to go into detail for the first time about his fallout with his older brother following the ensuing storm. Other book sources confirm that there is also a “good chunk” about both Kate and his stepmother, Queen Consort Camilla Parker-Bowles.

Although the Duke of Sussex has called the Nazi incident “one of the biggest mistakes in my life,” one senior publishing source who has read Harry’s “Spare” told us, “It’s strange as you would think that Harry would take ownership of this and just move on and not drag his brother into it, but he makes it clear that he feels strongly about William’s role in the scandal.”

Source

Willy and Harold as in William the Conqueror and Harold Godwinson?
Such a mess.

I was trying to remember why the name “Harold” was ringing bells for me. That’s it.

Such a mess indeed.

(...)

One incident I will illustrate was the infamous Nazi uniform. He and William went shopping together and William obviously didn't see a problem any more than Harry did. It was a private party with "friends" they had grown up with. They were typically young and privileged men of their set. Yet when someone leaked a picture to the paparazzi Harry was dramatically demonised and is to this day. But where was William? Did he stand by his "wingman" and tell the world what happened? No, he most certainly was not and in fact, he was reported as being in total agreement.

His father announced that he was given a remedial visit to that period of history and taken to the Synagogue and met with the Chief Rabbi, etc. This incident occurred when he was 17 and yet it is regularly hauled out as a stick to beat him with. Proof positive that he had no common sense, worse, was callously indifferent to the whole deal. Unfair? Yes, untrue? Totally. William had to be seen to distance himself from his brother and seemed to have no trouble doing exactly that. Did Harry feel betrayed? Probably.

This book is not about actual facts or realities, it is about how Harry lived it, and must therefore be biased to a degree. Memories differ, especially if you are the person at the centre and are telling your truth. Read it for that alone.

The Nazi costume was when he was 20 (almost 21), not 17. In any case, even though it's only 3 years difference, personally I would judge a 20 year old man (an an army cadet on top of it) harsher than a 17 year old boy.

Speaking of this incident, there's another leaks of this book on Page Six where according to the book, Harry asked William about costume choice by phone (so William didn't accompany Harry dress shopping). Harry had two options: a pilot or Nazi uniform (so Harry knew that it's Nazi uniform, not random uniform with swastika on it) and William said Nazi. Later when Harry showed him to William and Catherine, both of them laughed at him.

I wonder whether at some point we'll hear Harry's account in which his brother told him to get naked at Vegas, sent someone to take pictures of him and gave it to tabloids.

Well, BP, under the orders of the late Queen herself, refused to publish any of the results of the Inquiry which included any bullying allegations against anybody, the Sussexes, or other royals, any courtiers, any senior staff etc. so nobody is likely to know anything about such allegations, let alone sue over them.

The Sussexes' issued legal complaint to at least two articles in the Times (which were less damaging than the bullying article), but they do nothing for the article on bullying allegation. And we can't say that it's because at that point they have stopped their suing rampage since not long after, they filled legal complaint for several other articles such as the Lilibet name, DM's comments hurt his feeling which again IMO are less damaging to than the bullying allegation.

Last edited:
The Nazi costume was when he was 20 (almost 21), not 17. In any case, even though it's only 3 years difference, personally I would judge a 20 year old man (an an army cadet on top of it) harsher than a 17 year old boy.

Speaking of this incident, there's another leaks of this book on Page Six where according to the book, Harry asked William about costume choice by phone (so William didn't accompany Harry dress shopping). Harry had two options: a pilot or Nazi uniform (so Harry knew that it's Nazi uniform, not random uniform with swastika on it) and William said Nazi. Later when Harry showed him to William and Catherine, both of them laughed at him.

I wonder whether at some point we'll hear Harry's account in which his brother told him to get naked at Vegas, sent someone to take pictures of him and gave it to tabloids.

This is just copy and paste from twitter essentially from about a year or two ago. Seems like the source of the book material to me

:previous: People are going nuts. We don't know what is in it except what the Guardian chose to print. That is being dissected right down to how "allegedly" a ceramic dog bowl wouldn't break, Say what? How do we know precisely how someone was hit, how someone fell and how cheap and chunky the dog bowl was that it broke?

This is a nasty little piece printed to stir up the masses and it is printed without context and, just like Pavlov's Principles of classical conditioning, they start salivating. What is wrong with everyone? Read the book, which I might add, is yet to go on sale, and then make your mind up. Pass judgement etc. ad nauseam, ad infinitum.

For me, so far, two men, regardless of how old are "reported" to have resorted to infantile fisticuffs. I remember when William first went to school they called him Basher Bill, Harry could well have been just as bad. But, I think I'll make my mind up when I have read the actual book.

:previous: People are going nuts. We don't know what is in it except what the Guardian chose to print. That is being dissected right down to how "allegedly" a ceramic dog bowl wouldn't break, Say what? How do we know precisely how someone was hit, how someone fell and how cheap and chunky the dog bowl was that it broke?

This is a nasty little piece printed to stir up the masses and it is printed without context and, just like Pavlov's Principles of classical conditioning, they start salivating. What is wrong with everyone? Read the book, which I might add, is yet to go on sale, and then make your mind up. Pass judgement etc. ad nauseam, ad infinitum.

For me, so far, two men, regardless of how old are "reported" to have resorted to infantile fisticuffs. I remember when William first went to school they called him Basher Bill, Harry could well have been just as bad. But, I think I'll make my mind up when I have read the actual book.

And remember like any book to take it with a grain of salt and to consider the source might be an unreliable narrator

I will read it, if I have time. I read Finding Freedom, "dissected" it the same way I dissected this excerpt, and concluded that Meghan must have cooperated with it. That was back when she was adamantly denying having done so, and well before the email proving otherwise became public. When a person has a history of making untrue public statements, it's only common sense to scrutinize implausible and evidence-free claims they make in the future.

Good for you William!!:lol: Spot on!!..If you catch my drift!!

We are all saying that the Palace and KP/CH don't leak to the press and quote Low about the bullying of Meghan.
I am currently reading Low (started yesterday) and he explicitly describes how Palace-courtiers would actively leak stories. One of King Charles' secretaries named Bolland had an active agenda of rehabilitating Camilla in the early 2000 and dined daily with the different press journalists (DM, the Sun etc.) to feed them stories.
Now, I am nowhere near being on H&M's side, but we can't deny Harry's claim of stories being planted. It happened back then, not for the first time, and will have happened afterwards. We can nitpick about Harry not giving a concrete example, but does he really need to? The system of leaking to the press has been in place for decades. And if they use it to push for a positive agenda, they can do so for negative reasons to. Is Harry right? Yes. Is he being paranoid about it? Yes, again. But perhaps not without some reason.
Low also writes about the way courtiers work. They act in their employers best interests, don't always tell them everything, but at the same time need to be a person the employer can trust. So, while a courtier may, in an instance, leak something without his/her employers knowledge. It they go too far, they are out. Leaking WITH the employers knowledge is a different situation.
That all said, I don't think that William had an agenda of leaking negative stories about H&M, to cover up for his own faults. It wouldn't really gain him anything. But I can't really blame Harry for paranoidly thinking it, since the system DOES exist.
About the excerpt about the brothers fighting. I abhor any kind of violence, so I am a bit disappointed in William. But the fact that he immediatly returned and appologised shows him to be mature enough to, quickly, see his errors and act accordingly. Something that, up to this date, Harry has not done.

It's interesting that Harry uses "knocked" rather than pushed. How do you knock someone to the ground without hitting them really hard? If William had hit Harry like that, he'd have said so and suffered the subsequent bruises. The only marks he mentions were on his back where he fell onto the dog bowl (which must have been fine china to break into pieces). So William didn't hit Harry, he grabbed his collar and then "knocked" him. Bearing in mind the size and fitness of Harry, it sounds more like William pushed him, Harry lost his balance and fell over. Writing it like that isn't as sensational as "knocked" to the ground, so I assume that Harry is relaying the incident in the most shocking way possible.

It is probably best not to make assumptions. All we know, if this reporting turns out to be accurate, is that Harry’s sibling was trashing Harry’s wife.

You are correct we cannot make assumptions as we only have one version of the events.

Secondly I agree he does not want to Royal duties, if he ever did even before Meghan, but he claims to want to reconcile. Not sure if there is much chance of that.

We are all saying that the Palace and KP/CH don't leak to the press and quote Low about the bullying of Meghan.
I am currently reading Low (started yesterday) and he explicitly describes how Palace-courtiers would actively leak stories. One of King Charles' secretaries named Bolland had an active agenda of rehabilitating Camilla in the early 2000 and dined daily with the different press journalists (DM, the Sun etc.) to feed them stories.
Now, I am nowhere near being on H&M's side, but we can't deny Harry's claim of stories being planted. It happened back then, not for the first time, and will have happened afterwards. We can nitpick about Harry not giving a concrete example, but does he really need to? The system of leaking to the press has been in place for decades. And if they use it to push for a positive agenda, they can do so for negative reasons to. Is Harry right? Yes. Is he being paranoid about it? Yes, again. But perhaps not without some reason.
Low also writes about the way courtiers work. They act in their employers best interests, don't always tell them everything, but at the same time need to be a person the employer can trust. So, while a courtier may, in an instance, leak something without his/her employers knowledge. It they go too far, they are out. Leaking WITH the employers knowledge is a different situation.
That all said, I don't think that William had an agenda of leaking negative stories about H&M, to cover up for his own faults. It wouldn't really gain him anything. But I can't really blame Harry for paranoidly thinking it, since the system DOES exist.
About the excerpt about the brothers fighting. I abhor any kind of violence, so I am a bit disappointed in William. But the fact that he immediatly returned and appologised shows him to be mature enough to, quickly, see his errors and act accordingly. Something that, up to this date, Harry has not done.
Very good observation about William apologizing. Like in the Oprah interview where Meghan said that Kate apologized. Hmm…
I am disgusted by the level at which their disagreements (Harry’s and William’s) have lowered. I didn’t need to know such details. Nobody does, it’s family private matters. Everyone will gullibly read, me included, it’s what sells. But I’m losing interest in the Sussexes, they are done for me.

Good for you William!!:lol: Spot on!!..If you catch my drift!!

I hope I don’t ‘catch your drift’. Grabbing someone aggressively while in a temper and then knocking or pushing them in such a way that they end up on the ground is never a good idea. Under any circumstances.

MARG,
I'm just curious, you posted that "well before Harry met Meghan, he said he would like to write a book about being The Spare".

That's the first I've ever heard of this. When, years ago, did Harry say this ?
I'd love more information on this. Thanks Marg.

The report wasn't supposed to conclude whether the bullying happened or not. It probably contains the allegations but doesn't investigate whether any of it was true. It was supposed to evaluate how the royal family handles complaints about treatment from family members and make recommendations. I tend to think the allegations of bullying were true because Valentine Low said he witnessed it and Harry and Meghan have never sued him.

Correct it was the process , as there didn't appear to be anything in place where a member of staff could report as they call ' a principal' for their behaviour towards them.

I hope I don’t ‘catch your drift’. Grabbing someone aggressively while in a temper and then knocking or pushing them in such a way that they end up on the ground is never a good idea. Under any circumstances.

If it’s true. DM has already identified the possible broken necklace as being alright in October that year.

If it’s true. DM has already identified the possible broken necklace as being alright in October that year.

The Sussexes moved from Nott Cott into Frogmore Cottage in April 2019, so that incident obviously took place earlier. And between April and October is plenty of time to get any necklace fixed. I’d imagine it’s the one he was given in South Africa soon after his mother’s death and has worn consistently ever since.

Of course it could have been repaired. The thing is - how much are we, the public, wanting to believe that it happened, and if it happened that it was exactly as it is presented in this excerpt? They’ve identified a dog bowl which is metalic. I was wondering how he fell in such a tight space and didn’t knock his head against a cupboard or a wall. And so on. Again, as per Sussex modus operandi, it is an incomplete story. Maybe the book itself is clearer, but I don’t hold my breath. And why put such a scene in a publication? It is so … personal, I cannot imagine how he could do it. What is to gain?

I cannot help but shake my head about the state of the planet - when a grown man having an argument (physical or not) with his brother is headline news over the complete mess we have in the country at the moment.
I cannot state how trivial and insipid it is that this was even included in the book - let alone that that is what the Guardian chose to leak.

I find it so disheartening that Harry wrote this tell all when the Queen was still alive.

Not giving a damn it appears, on how brutally upsetting it would be to her. So much for his statement last April about "wanting to make sure The Queen IS PROTECTED and has the right People around her".

And as for Charles, well it appears that unbelievably his plea to his sons that he said at Prince Philips funeral, " Please boys, don't make my final years a misery " won't be happening. Harry is a miserable, bitter and petty man Charles. In his delusions you and William are to blame.

I think that The Family needs to just keep distance from The Sussex's. Zero communication with them and that includes The Coronation. It is five months away and unless they want it to turn into a Circus, the perpetually aggrieved Sussex's can't be there.. Unfortunately ALL the attention would be on Harry and Meghan.
If they went, in a year or two we would get another Book sequel or breathless Interview about some slight or comment The Sussex's didn't like.

Just shut this damaging nonsense down now. They left. Good riddance.

Last edited:
It's interesting that Harry uses "knocked" rather than pushed. How do you knock someone to the ground without hitting them really hard? If William had hit Harry like that, he'd have said so and suffered the subsequent bruises. The only marks he mentions were on his back where he fell onto the dog bowl (which must have been fine china to break into pieces). So William didn't hit Harry, he grabbed his collar and then "knocked" him. Bearing in mind the size and fitness of Harry, it sounds more like William pushed him, Harry lost his balance and fell over. Writing it like that isn't as sensational as "knocked" to the ground, so I assume that Harry is relaying the incident in the most shocking way possible.

Indeed!!Anything that makes it juicyer then it ever was or will be...like all of their ballony!Long live the bucks...in the best of drama and Hollywood tradition..Now,when´s the movie out?..Oh,don´t bother,I don´t do bore...

Have to see to my soup,sorry..

Poor Prince George and Princess Charlotte at School today.....
"Did your Father beat up your Uncle Harry " ?

George did know Harry, I'm guessing Charlotte though not as much.
We know how cruel kids can be. Cheap shots are a specialty.
As cruel as Harry ...and a expert in cheap shots too.

Last edited:
IMO the couple will keep going, this has been the pattern from the very beginning, continual drip feeding to keep themselves relevant.
The unsaid threats about what they could reveal, via their 'friends'.
It smacks of frustration on his part that he is not getting what he wants so he is going down this road
I am not sure what they want from the family, maybe money, maybe the HIHO.
Each interview/ article/ programme drops a little titbit, not enough to cause a reaction from BP but it is obviously what they want.
There will be family secrets that Harry knows and BP do not want out in the public domain, he is letting them know he could and would reveal all, if he has not already done so in this book.
He is bound to talk about his mother, he has never stopped since he left the family.

It is the irony that he has harped on for years about stuff going out that shouldn't have and now he is the carrier of the tales. I do think he will regret this in the long run.

It is all so sad.

MARG,
I'm just curious, you posted that "well before Harry met Meghan, he said he would like to write a book about being The Spare".

That's the first I've ever heard of this. When, years ago, did Harry say this ?
I'd love more information on this. Thanks Marg.
I've never heard of it eiter. H might have said it as a joke but it woudl be so unusual for a royal of his rank to wrte such a book, that I find it hard to beleive it.

In a new ITV trailer Harry defends invading the privacy of his relatives by explaining that 'that would be the accusation from the people that don't understand, or don't want to believe, that my family have been briefing the press".

After Brady asks him if he will go to the coronation if he gets an invitation, the Duke replies that "there is a lot than can happen between now and then. But, you know, the door is always open. The ball is in their court. There is a lot to be discussed and I really hope that they are willing to sit down and talk about it".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-say-fathers-coronation-new-ITV-trailer.html

Last edited:
IMO the couple will keep going, this has been the pattern from the very beginning, continual drip feeding to keep themselves relevant.
The unsaid threats about what they could reveal, via their 'friends'.
It smacks of frustration on his part that he is not getting what he wants so he is going down this road
I am not sure what they want from the family, maybe money, maybe the HIHO.
Each interview/ article/ programme drops a little titbit, not enough to cause a reaction from BP but it is obviously what they want.
There will be family secrets that Harry knows and BP do not want out in the public domain, he is letting them know he could and would reveal all, if he has not already done so in this book.
He is bound to talk about his mother, he has never stopped since he left the family.

It is the irony that he has harped on for years about stuff going out that shouldn't have and now he is the carrier of the tales. I do think he will regret this in the long run.

It is all so sad.

Not sad,disgusting!!And yes he will regret it eventually,after his multi million divorce one day...To keep in line with what rags will say as they seem so popular with the vox populi..

I’m just wondering…if a story had come out in which Harry had shouted, maligned William’s wife, completely lost his temper and shoved or pushed William to the ground during an argument, leading to a marked back, whether there would have been excuses made, rationales given? Or whether he would have received wholesale condemnation for his behaviour? I think I can guess.

Last edited:
In a new ITV trailer Harry defends invading the privacy of his relatives by explaining that 'that would be the accusation from the people that don't understand, or don't want to believe, that my family have been briefing the press.

After Brady asks him if he will go to the coronation if he gets an invitation, the Duke replies that "there is a lot than can happen between now and then. But, you know, the door is always open. The ball is in their court. There is a lot to be discussed and I really hope that they are willing to sit down and talk about it".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-say-fathers-coronation-new-ITV-trailer.html

Iow..If `they`come and beg him.?.....The ball is in their court??..I know where the ball is,but I´m not gonna spell the beans ..

Poor Prince George and Princess Charlotte at School today.....
"Did your Father beat up your Uncle Harry " ?

George did know Harry, I'm guessing Charlotte though not as much.
We know how cruel kids can be. Cheap shots are a specialty
As cruel as Harry ...and a expert in cheap shots too.

To me this is the worst of it. William’s kids and Harry’s kids whose lives will be very much affected by this drama just because Harry decided to trade in his family issues for literal cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom