Princess Delphine & Family, News & Events 1; 2020 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really know what to make of this.
After all these years spent in trials and courts, I cannot but stay cynical over the whole thing.
Maybe it's just their old age that made them rethink everything and they feel like it's time to mend their fences.
But still timing (even with the first statement after Phillipe's meeting with Delphine) makes me think that Phillipe (and his closest collaborators) is the one who decided the path to follow in the whole situation for the entire family.

I wonder if King Albert will also meet with his grandchildren Josephine and Oscar.

What a turn around and all looks very cordial at the Château du Belvédère.

I don't really know what to make of this.
After all these years spent in trials and courts, I cannot but stay cynical over the whole thing.
Maybe it's just their old age that made them rethink everything and they feel like it's time to mend their fences.
But still timing (even with the first statement after Phillipe's meeting with Delphine) makes me think that Phillipe (and his closest collaborators) is the one who decided the path to follow in the whole situation for the entire family.

I agree, if the issue was as "nice" as they said, it would have been solved off court a LONG time ago.
Also, the fact that they signed with their names at the end as well like Philippe and Delphine did is a clear communication strategy.

Last edited:
King Albert and Queen Paola have met with Princess Delphine on Sunday afternoon at their Belvédère residence:

** Pic **

We can all be all cynical as we want, but this seems to be a very positive step. I thought the statement was very cautiously worded, and perhaps quite rightly so. It is going to be a difficult road ahead, and I am just not convinced it is a path that the three of them may want to necessarily want to travel along.

It seems to me that Albert and Paola have either decided themselves that its time to look good by medning fences or possibly Phil has urged them to do this, to make the RF look better....

I am happy for Delphine that she has seen her father again after so many years (and her stepmother), but utterly speechless myself. I don't know what to say... :ohmy:

It is great news for them and I'm glad it has happened and hopefully it leads to a better understanding of each other and a path to acceptance of the situation at least and hopefully each other.

That said I'm still cynical, Albert has clearly been forced into this (and is following the lead of Philippe) and he is the one who could have stopped all this hurt and legal action a long time ago so one meeting doesn't make up for that IMO but hopefully it is a start of building a genuine relationship of some kind, not just a necessary PR move.

And Paolo wearing her handbag like she's just popped in from the shops in making me lol so much.

It is great news for them and I'm glad it has happened and hopefully it leads to a better understanding of each other and a path to acceptance of the situation at least and hopefully each other.

That said I'm still cynical, Albert has clearly been forced into this (and is following the lead of Philippe) and he is the one who could have stopped all this hurt and legal action a long time ago so one meeting doesn't make up for that IMO but hopefully it is a start of building a genuine relationship of some kind, not just a necessary PR move.

And Paolo wearing her handbag like she's just popped in from the shops in making me lol so much.

Well, I think that you're right - I think that Albert behaved very badly, but he is D's father and I hope that ther'es some genuine feeling that can be salvaged from the wreck for her sake. But its possible that it is at least on Alb's part just a big PR exercise.

It is easy to be cynical but all considering this is more than most would have predicted. They must have so many things to talk about but let's hope they will be able to move forward together. Good to see Paola there too.

It is easy to be cynical but all considering this is more than most would have predicted. They must have so many things to talk about but let's hope they will be able to move forward together. Good to see Paola there too.

We all know the rumous about Paola being the one who made Albert distance himself from Delphine. Being there has everything to do with denying those rumours.

It seems to me that Albert and Paola have either decided themselves that its time to look good by medning fences or possibly Phil has urged them to do this, to make the RF look better....

I think the same, the way they signed the message with their given names, like Philippe and Delphine did, speaks volumes ;)

If it was only done to make Albert and Paola 'look good' I doubt that Delphine would have accepted the invitation. It was a grand gesture of her to accept it. Putting her name under such a declaration most likely means that she is convinced that her fathers intentions are honest.

King Albert II was obviously stuck in a tunnel these years, where those around him perhaps confirmed or encouraged him on the road he decided he had to take. Perhaps the verdict finally shook things up and made him realize he was on the wrong path all along. His statement a few weeks ago had a very different tone than those before, which were always written by his entourage. Although Albert and Paola certainly have made mistakes, big mistakes, they are hardly monsters incapable of human emotions, doubts etc. There is no need to vilify them or of making caricatures out of them.

There's absolutely no proof that Albert's recent official statements weren't also written by an entourage, though. They all seem to be very similar in tone, designed to match Philippe and Delphine's.

While everything seems very calm in the photo, I question Paola's presence at this first meeting. Wasn't it difficult enough? Is it only to reduce the number of meetings Delphine needs to have, and by whose choice?

The words are right and fine but I'm not convinced all is other than superficially well. I doubt this gets so many likes on social media.

There's absolutely no proof that Albert's recent official statements weren't also written by an entourage, though. They all seem to be very similar in tone, designed to match Philippe and Delphine's.

While everything seems very calm in the photo, I question Paola's presence at this first meeting. Wasn't it difficult enough? Is it only to reduce the number of meetings Delphine needs to have, and by whose choice?

The words are right and fine but I'm not convinced all is other than superficially well. I doubt this gets so many likes on social media.

Comments on social medias seem to be mostly positive. Relief is what I see, royalists probably feel like this story has been dragged for too long.
Another element I notice is the appreciation for Philippe: many think he is the one who has started operations to welcome Delphine as part of the family.

Last edited:
Unlike the Philippe meeting, there's no mention of a timeframe or anything that was discussed, other than the obvious "wounds and turmoil". We have no idea how long it was. Paola could have popped in for a token fifteen minutes at the beginning or end, or she could have been there by Albert's request as his shield. (With her shield. I mean, purse. :cool:)

Whether by choice or some coercion, it's just as well Philippe has apparently tried to get everything patched (though by social media likes I don't mean the record set by the picture of him and Delphine). Even Astrid will likely now feel free to meet her, though who knows if we'll hear about it.

Hopefully we'll see a more united front in the Belgian RF in the future and no more sour faces or falling asleep at official events by certain members.

If it was only done to make Albert and Paola 'look good' I doubt that Delphine would have accepted the invitation. It was a grand gesture of her to accept it. Putting her name under such a declaration most likely means that she is convinced that her fathers intentions are honest.

King Albert II was obviously stuck in a tunnel these years, where those around him perhaps confirmed or encouraged him on the road he decided he had to take. Perhaps the verdict finally shook things up and made him realize he was on the wrong path all along. His statement a few weeks ago had a very different tone than those before, which were always written by his entourage. Although Albert and Paola certainly have made mistakes, big mistakes, they are hardly monsters incapable of human emotions, doubts etc. There is no need to vilify them or of making caricatures out of them.

It makes you wonder why they couldn't do this much much earlier... but glad it finally happened. And if it's Philip whose behind all this: well done!

I do think that his lawyer was at least one of the people who encouraged the hard line as anytime he spoke after a statement was sent out he made it only worse.

King Albert and Queen Paola have met with Princess Delphine on Sunday afternoon at their Belvédère residence:

** Pic **

It is beautiful that the Royal Family decided to solve this story and everyone is trying to understand.
I now ask if we are still going to see a picture of all the brothers together.

Not sure what's beautiful about it. Its been horrible, and its likely that Albert is just now trying to retrieve his reputation.

Not sure what's beautiful about it. Its been horrible, and its likely that Albert is just now trying to retrieve his reputation.

It's beautiful because people are getting closer and reconciling. It is the end of a story that has dragged on for too long, too long.

It's beautiful because people are getting closer and reconciling. It is the end of a story that has dragged on for too long, too long.

Possbily.... I think with Albert and Paola its damage control.. Possibly with Philippe as well....

I hope this is not just a PR stunt,so ex King Albert and Paola look good. Why did'nt he met his Grandchildren at the same time, I believe their names are Josefine and Oscar titled Pr and Pss.. I wish them the best for their future.

perhaps he doesn't wnat to meet the grandchildren. Perhaps he's making a few token visits to her because he knows he has looked very bad, and that he has to do something to improve his image over this affair
Or perhaps Delphine would prefer that if he meets her children it is done in private.. as they're children...

I hope this is not just a PR stunt,so ex King Albert and Paola look good. Why did'nt he met his Grandchildren at the same time, I believe their names are Josefine and Oscar titled Pr and Pss.. I wish them the best for their future.

I would be surprised if her children *had* been involved. Delphine herself is one stage, her children are another.
-----
I don't know whether any of this applies to this situation, but sometimes the young (Philippe) have to lead the old (Albert).
Anyway, I think it's most important how Delphine feels now that she has seen her father again after so many years.

Philippe and damage control? That would imply him to be insincere, at least partly, and I doubt that. None of this was his fault.

Last edited:
To be fair Albert may well have met the grandchildren as well, just because they weren't photographed doesn't mean they weren't there and I wouldn't blame Delphine for keeping her children out the public eye.

Time will tell how much is behind the pictures, hopefully more private meetings and the beginnings of some sort of relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom